Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
ccp can sniff my unwashed asscrack and enjoy the chamber of farts of my underwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EvE 2021: Doctor Why

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

EvE 2021: Doctor Why

we're in 2022 numbnuts

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At over 90 million skill points now. :toot: How many days does it take per 10 million skill points?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheWeedNumber posted:

we're in 2022 numbnuts

fuk

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Was busy with back to work. What the gently caress at this dr who thing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol instead of making really pathetic events that aren't going to bring people in, how about CCP fix the game and it make actually fun to play? Dr. Who is a dead franchise that no one cares about anymore and hasn't been relevant in decades.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
dr who more like literally loving who

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Un-loving-believable. I won eve a while back but jesus christ.

CCP, you're not making fortnite, you're not even making no man's sky, what even the heck?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I said come in! posted:

At over 90 million skill points now. :toot: How many days does it take per 10 million skill points?

really depends on stat layout and the skills you train + whatever boosters/implants

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Eve is terrible and I only log in to update/install new market orders.

That said in the extremely unlikely situation that the dr who content is actually functional in any form at all, I'm going to go shoot at a dalek.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

yoloer420 posted:

I'm going to go shoot at a dalek.

they can't kill us permanently, those pepperpot bastards will hate that

what's amusing to me is that the doctor would consider capsuleers genocidal war criminals and little different from the daleks

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck
i will log in and play this game again i promise

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm 42 and British, if they turn the rogue drones into Daleks and let me shoot them, then my inner 8 year old will have the best day ever and it might get my teenagers to try out the game.

Which is probably more the point, everyone always cries for more of the space stuff but the BBC don't have the budget. If this is a massive success then their CGI people can justify it, and eve gets new players, if it don't then the BBC can say we gave you space and you didn't want it.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
lol sometimes i wonder if i made the wrong choice winning eve and then i read poo poo like this and just :smug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I, too, scorn fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

I, too, scorn fun.

You're an EVE-player, so yes

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
i now have flycatchers that are tanky af to do dictor work in

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Libluini posted:

You're an EVE-player, so yes

Tbh I’m currently ice mining and doing housework on an alt while watching formula 1 so the bar is low

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Tbh I’m currently ice mining and doing housework on an alt while watching formula 1 so the bar is low

This Dr. Who-thing made me realize I was essentially only paying CCP to keep my skill queues running. And since my current eye problems will continue longer than this event, I also can't just gently caress with people trying to run it normally. So really, I cancelled my subs. I've a couple alpha-clones I can use if I want to take a closer look at this train wreck anyway.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Libluini posted:

This Dr. Who-thing made me realize I was essentially only paying CCP to keep my skill queues running. And since my current eye problems will continue longer than this event, I also can't just gently caress with people trying to run it normally. So really, I cancelled my subs. I've a couple alpha-clones I can use if I want to take a closer look at this train wreck anyway.

i wonder how many eve folks did the same thing you just did

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The same people who didn't quit because they had content with winter event content will keep subs going, presumably it's why they announced it with a random 9 day count down one day after nexus ended.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
For the first time in over a decade, I'm genuinely sad I resubbed.
I've always done a year at a time, see. The talent drain over the years THERE at the producer level really shows right now. NFTs and Doctor Who? Really?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
it's just so weird

like u rly couldn't have put forward this effort in advertising in other places that are better suited to getting people who are more likely to be interested in eve for the right reasons?

like going around and advertising eve as the best call of duty is going to get everyone who expects call of duty to quit instantly, you want to show people what it actually is so you're advertising it directly to the people who want it

insane

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

are you the very angry LIP guy that is in tama all the time

Lol nah is that my anus by any chance? He is an angry croation dude who lost a 4bil pod and vanished

He hangs around there though

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Doctor Who crossover is explained thus, by someone from the other side:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/rwl7z7/doctor_who_fan_here_something_i_think_you_need_to/

The long and short of it is - NFTs. Of course it's NFTs. Apparently the BBC got involved with some company in 2020 who was promising an "online NFT card game" using Doctor Who as a foundation, and whilst it never went anywhere then, and no game exists even now, of course Pearl Abyss got a whiff of it and here we are.

Guaranteed the next part of this "event" is going to be NFTs.

lol Eve is dead. A hollowed out carcass of a space game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I read about this yesterday morning, got my shitposts in, and forgot all about it for the rest of my day.

Time for bed. I place my head on my pillow, and my brain started going through my day or whatever, and I suddenly remembered this weird Dr. Who crossover event and I just started cackling until I finally drifted off.

Durzel posted:

lol Eve is dead. A hollowed out carcass of a space game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I just came across an article on reddit from 7 years ago, focusing on CCP's poor management, which has this absolute banger of a quote:

quote:

Most of the sources spoken to for this piece identified the same problematic CCP manager, who had little vision for what the finished game would look like.

“Not once could he answer any question about moment-to-moment gameplay or areas of focus,” says one source. “Instead, he preferred to deliver buzzword-laden rambles… It was not uncommon for him to communicate in onomatopoeia.

"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his loving fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

Is this Hilmar?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Seems to be a lot of the same issues they had back then.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's always Hilmar. :(

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

EVE 2022: make it more... psssshhhht

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

NtotheTC posted:

EVE 2022: make it more... psssshhhht

:emptyquote:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man they are just screwing the hell out of this pooch over and over in new and inventive ways

it's almost artistic

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

man they are just screwing the hell out of this pooch over and over in new and inventive ways

it's almost artistic

my pet theory is that this is Star Citizen's fault, as this project proved to the greedy world of gaming that there is no shortage of delusional people willing to swallow absolutely everything, you just have to get them into your game first to fleece them

I guess this event is a test run to see if they can replace all EVE-players with even dumber people, down below to Star Citizen levels of "willing to pay 10k dollars for concept art of ships"

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The game is pretty great otherwise. Maybe we can just ignore the Dr Who NFTs and maybe snag some free SP out of the event?

TheWeedNumber posted:

https://github.com/Phrynohyas/eve-o-preview

this is what I meant. Check this poo poo out and let me know how it treats you.

Thanks!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

The game is pretty great otherwise. Maybe we can just ignore the Dr Who NFTs and maybe snag some free SP out of the event?

There's a chance that the actual events are pretty good despite being thematically stupid. It sounds like they're aiming them at newer players so there shouldn't be a massive SP requirement to run them, if they give decent rewards and are popular then all they have to do is find and replace "Dalek" with "Sansha" and we're away

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The Eve Expanded Universe plans to bring Dr Who, Galaxy Quest, and Ice Pirates into the same shared setting. Storytelling opportunities that have yet to be imagined.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DARPA posted:

Galaxy Quest

hell yeah

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DARPA posted:

Galaxy Quest

Would have been a significantly better choice for a crossover.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've wondered since the Summer of Rage of the real problem at CCP is Hilmar. Founders are rarely good CEOs in larger organizations. Plenty of exceptions exist, but the dynamics of a startup are really, really different than an established company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

DARPA posted:

Galaxy Quest
Grabthar's Modified Hammer