Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well loving somebody has to pay for this trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

500excf type r posted:

It's not good but it isn't bad. It isn't subtle but people are idiots and the audience needs it to be ham fisted and in their face otherwise it is just lost upon them, like everyone that thinks it's about trump and covid
it’s an introductory crackping for beginners, so it’s light afternoon viewing followed up with a hearty lol at how deeply it’s broken some journos

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rectal Death Adept posted:

my new coin offering will pay people 1 coin per pound of co2 removed from the air

unfortunately the people using it realize it's easier to grab carbon dioxide if you are making it so my carbcoin rigs are just coal engines with a digital counter on the exhaust

the coal engines then power an etherium rig

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

This is like the 500+ fossil fuel lobbyists flying to the COPE26 pre-party in Milan and then to COPE26 in Glasgow

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I still haven't watched baby's first crack-ping

Honestly kind of wish it was a meteor coming rather than millions of years of plastic decaying in anoxic oceans and washing up on beaches made of tires

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Remember the Colorado fires that destroyed half a suburb last week? Well good news, it appears the fire was started by some wacky cultists that everyone hates so we now have the perfect scapegoat. Game over!

There has been zero discussion of climate change or fire planning or any changes at all required of anyone. Nobody is being held to account and no questions are being asked of anyone in power, least of all our drill baby drill oil industry governor, and there is no discussion of anything changing, ever. Instead all the local idiots are just praising the police and fire investigators and demanding they be given more money.

This is really the perfect neoliberal response to escalating disasters, just gotta find or invent a scapegoat first. Pay no attention to the fact that the wind and fires keep growing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
My administration is committed to launching an investigation into how the cultists have gained the ability to manipulate wind, fire, and drought.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah this is it, we are finally at the point where entire cities are just wiped out by the fires. This happened. And our response is that everyone on social media is screaming about how dangerous cults are and how we need new anti cult laws while also saying that the police are amazing heroes and we need to give them a pay raise and more bonuses because of the fire.

Every disaster is more loving stupid than the one before

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

There was at least some initial attention on the climate change aspect of the fire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/samuelbrasch/status/1476967021866893315

The difficulty is that most fires are started by people being dumb rather than malicious, it's hard to get everyone to stop being dumb, and climate change exacerbates the conditions where fires quickly get out of control so entire cities are going to keep burning.

quote:

One recent study examined all home-threatening wildfires in the U.S. between 1992 and 2015. It found people started 97 percent of those blazes through things like debris burning, cigarettes, fireworks — and even mower blades hitting rocks and sparking fires.

Balch, who helped write the study, said the results show why it’s essential to focus on ignition sources near homes. If people could learn to change their behavior, they could prevent some of the most dangerous wildfires from threatening Colorado communities.

“We need Smokey the Bear for the suburbs,” she said. “We need to better understand how our daily activities carry the risk of ignitions.”

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hahahahaha

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah looks like that Sam Brasch guy wrote a couple articles about it I didn't see
https://twitter.com/motarola_/status/1478396147014193162

But the conversation on social media around here is just :thaoldme: :tizzy: :unsmigghh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah this is it, we are finally at the point where entire cities are just wiped out by the fires. This happened. And our response is that everyone on social media is screaming about how dangerous cults are and how we need new anti cult laws while also saying that the police are amazing heroes and we need to give them a pay raise and more bonuses because of the fire.

Every disaster is more loving stupid than the one before

lol I knew watching the Leftovers twice in the last year would come in handy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Quotey posted:

Watched it today. This is right. The movie is as overindulgent as you’d expect. Leo is the only person in it who will take any lessons from it, and that’s to keep quiet and live his best life with women that keep staying the same age.

regret to inform you Leo won't be taking any lessons from it since everyone died

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

uguu posted:

Does anyone have any resources on learning to influence people?

Yeah but you're also going to have to make friends

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/_TheBulletin/status/1478636216262316034

seems good

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My administration is committed to launching an investigation into how the cultists have gained the ability to manipulate wind, fire, and drought.

ritual magic is real, deploy the centrist wizard, with the power of both fire and ice but at the same time so he just is his own fog machine, to combat this

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

hell yeah, Brussels Air doing its part to snuff out the human menace

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It occurred to me maybe two or three years ago that a lot of our firsthand experiences of climate change will be... experiencing tons of traffic. Sitting in traffic. More traffic. That's going to be a lot of it. Finally experienced it myself after a surprise early morning freezing rain event. Sat in traffic for 5 hours until the boss said okay just go home. Beats working?

Edit: for perspective, my commute is 15-20 minutes. So five hours is a lot... and I got just over half of the way there. Boss said go home after I sent an article that said the highway is just closed. Not slow or traffic heavy but just entirely closed. It's the only way to get to my job too, the only available detour would take maybe 30-45 minutes without any traffic.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jan 5, 2022

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Raine posted:

you will be the one in hospice. along with everyone else

hospices are a humane solution, so i admire your optimism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

In June 2021, an unprecedented heat wave hit the Pacific Northwest and Canada, killing an estimated 1,400 people. On June 28, Seattle reached 108 F — an all-time high — while the village of Lytton in British Columbia recorded Canada’s highest-ever temperature of 121.3 F on June 29, the day before it was destroyed by a heat-triggered wildfire.

Climate change is expected to bring more such extreme heat events globally, with far-reaching consequences not just for humans, but for wildlife and ecosystems.

In 2019, University of Washington researchers witnessed this in Argentina at one of the world’s largest breeding colonies for Magellanic penguins. On Jan. 19, temperatures at the site in Punta Tombo, on Argentina’s southern coast, spiked to 44 C, or 111.2 F, and that was in the shade. As the team reports in a paper published Jan. 4 in the journal Ornithological Applications, the extreme heat wave killed at least 354 penguins, based on a search for bodies by UW researchers in the days following the record high temperature.

“This extreme event fell near the tail end of the breeding season for Magellanic penguins, so it killed a large number of adults, as well as chicks,” said lead author Katie Holt, a UW doctoral student in biology. “It’s the first time we’ve recorded a mass mortality event at Punta Tombo connected to extreme temperatures.”

The Jan. 19 heat wave was the highest temperature the researchers have ever recorded at Punta Tombo, where UW teams have been studying Magellanic penguins since 1982 under co-author P. Dee Boersma, a UW professor of biology. Temperatures at the site during the breeding season typically rise from the 50s F to the low 100s F. In a past season, researchers had previously recorded a shade high of 43 C, or 109.4 F, but that older record was not associated with a mass die-off of penguins, according to Holt.

The extreme heat on Jan. 19 affected adults and chicks differently. Nearly three-quarters of the penguins that died — 264 — were adults, many of which likely died of dehydration, based on postmortem analyses conducted by the UW researchers. They found 27% of adult penguin corpses along paths heading out of the breeding colony to the ocean, where they could get a drink — penguins have glands that can filter salt out of the water. A journey from the colony to the ocean can stretch up to one kilometer and, at its longest, might take an adult Magellanic 40 minutes to complete. Dead adults were often found on their stomachs with their feet and flippers extended and mouth open, a common panting and cooling pose for Magellanic penguins.

Some sections of Punta Tombo, where thousands of Magellanic penguins gather to breed each austral spring and summer, fared worse than others. In the central section of the colony, about 5% of adults perished. But other sections saw few or no fatalities, indicating that microclimates and access to the ocean, as well as individual health and nutrition, may have influenced survival rates.

UW researchers have documented past mass mortality events at Punta Tombo linked to severe rainstorms that killed primarily chicks, including one year where deluges killed 50% of the colony’s recently-hatched offspring. The 2019 heat wave is a particular concern because it led to the loss of a large number of adults in a single event, according to Holt.

“Any mass die-off like this is a concern,” said Holt. “But what is most concerning about heat-death mortality is that it has the potential to kill a lot of adults. The population viability of long-lived seabirds — like Magellanic penguins — relies on long lifespans. Adult Magellanic penguins can live more than 30 years, so they typically have many opportunities to successfully raise chicks. If we’re losing large numbers of adults from a single event like this, that’s a major concern.”

Based on examination of a subset of corpses, at least 8 out of 10 of the adults that died were males. That likely reflects the high prevalence of male Magellanic penguins at Punta Tombo — roughly three males to every female — rather than a differential survivability in extreme heat. The colony’s skewed sex ratio has grown over time. Research by Boersma’s group shows that adult females are less likely to return to Punta Tombo to breed, likely because they have more trouble finding enough food in the open ocean outside the breeding season. This has likely contributed to an overall decrease in the size of the colony since the late 1980s.

The remaining 90 fatalities from the Jan. 2019 heat wave were chicks. Based on postmortem analyses, the chicks that perished tended to be well fed and did not show signs of dehydration. They may have died because, with full bellies and small bodies, they could not regulate their body temperatures properly in the extreme heat, according to Holt.

Climate change is expected to produce more extreme weather events of all types globally, though effects will vary by locality. The consequences of this heat wave, though grim, also show scientists the limits that some species can endure.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Do they have cigarette lighters on their flights? I know that's not for everyone but that kinda whips.
Also cool stuff burning millions of liters of kerosene during a climate apocalypse to protect number cool cool cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that knob has a closet hanger symbol on it not a cig.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
youll be able to smoke anywhere on the planet once wildfire season is year-round and global

E

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1478654219620126720?s=20

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Rare miss from Chen Weihua

Stereotype posted:

i remember before covid, people had hypothesized that a halt to air travel would cause a dramatic and nearly instantaneous increase in temperatures since huge amounts of suspended particulates emitted by jet exhaust that normally reflect light and increase the albedo of the earth would suddenly be gone. looks like that might be the case!

Flying empty planes is good now. Sorry but we must face this hard truth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
in case anyone hasn't been watching, much of Kazakhstan government resigned or forced out today as the country is in turmoil over fuel prices doubling and energy shortages. broadband is down across the whole country. billionaires including the presidents daughter have fled

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1478749542489145346
https://twitter.com/Brave_spirit81/status/1478677736025694210
https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1478760524452139013
https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1478694849440358400
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478676064985571332
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478676302806884359
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478747084337692673

cheap subsidized fossil fuels is the divine right to rule for governments and can't go away.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

in case anyone hasn't been watching, much of Kazakhstan government resigned or forced out today as the country is in turmoil over fuel prices doubling and energy shortages. broadband is down across the whole country. billionaires including the presidents daughter have fled

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1478749542489145346
https://twitter.com/Brave_spirit81/status/1478677736025694210
https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1478760524452139013
https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1478694849440358400
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478676064985571332
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478676302806884359
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1478747084337692673

cheap subsidized fossil fuels is the divine right to rule for governments and can't go away.

Enjoying Kazakhstan proving my thesis from like two weeks ago.

Also Kazakhstan supplies 50% of the worlds Uranium and a shitload of reactors are up for refueling this year. If the country collapses, that'll be fun.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
results are promising for all those places that are getting rid of their nuke plants in favor of gas etc, gonna be a fun time in germany etc when they get cut off and the bill goes through the roof lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Also Kazakhstan supplies 50% of the worlds Uranium and a shitload of reactors are up for refueling this year. If the country collapses, that'll be fun.
Good thing lots of countries are permanently scuttling their nuclear plants and replacing it with coal, 'biomass', and lng.

but yes, last time there was a major spike in gas prices in America it led to an obama-supermajority (then another spike before midterms led to a blowout). and people were overall a lot wealthier then. us has been inching up again and whoever triple promises to lower gas prices the mostest is going to win lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in hope putin and biden both move in to secure the uranium and we can finally end this charade with a global nuclear holocaust

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Jel Shaker posted:

in hope putin and biden both move in to secure the uranium and we can finally end this charade with a global nuclear holocaust

Cold War II getting warmer.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Jel Shaker posted:

:yeshaha:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

One time I got a nice long jagged piece of metal in my hand from one of those recycled tires areas

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rime posted:

surely any uranium going into a reactor this year has already been processed

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i remember reading something a while back, in this thread or the doomsday economics thread (lol they're all the same), about oil/fossil fuels being the currency of the world, not the dollar, not gold

was very well written and compelling, and i think about it a lot

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i remember reading something a while back, in this thread or the doomsday economics thread (lol they're all the same), about oil/fossil fuels being the currency of the world, not the dollar, not gold

There are volumes written about what is called the "petrodollar" (connecting the price of oil and the us dollar)

Do you think it was something about that?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

uguu posted:

Does anyone have any resources on learning to influence people?

The few dozen people you need to influence to enact the policy change required to combat climate change are influenced by money. Do you have like 10 billion dollars?

Edit: and a time machine to do it 45 years ago.

Cromulent_Chill has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jan 5, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

There are volumes written about what is called the "petrodollar" (connecting the price of oil and the us dollar)

Do you think it was something about that?
i'm not sure it was explicitly about the petrodollar, more that the movement/possession/production of fossil fuels is what powers economies/empires, like gold in the past, and it's traded using dollars right now because the US is the dominant power.

i dunno, i unfortunately can't really recall the details

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

prof steve keen has a whole thing going on about how the whole economy is actually better explained by energy rather than orthodox economics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rime's post as referenced on this page

Rime posted:

Rime posted:

This is where I am at right now. I have a long essay on the topic which I'm still fine tuning, but I'll give the cliffnotes version here:

Just as the government massively subsidizes Agricultural output in marginal terrain because low food prices keeps the population happy, so too will it subsidize and perpetuate the fossil fuel economy until the bitter end. Oil and Gas is quite literally the "divine right to rule" for modern governments, as soon as it goes away and takes cheap consumerism with it, these governments will crumble overnight. They know this. Fracking lost over $500 Billion in fifteen years without ever turning a profit, they kept it flowing through tax incentives to keep the price at the pump low.

As such, attempting to stop a pipeline or protest an O&G field is asinine and ignorant of reality to an offensive degree. At best you will be permitted to wave a sign and the minor financial disruptions from it accepted as the cost of pacifying the discordant left, at worst (in the event you achieve anything of note) you will be thrown in prison (See: Steven Donziger). As things break down further the mask will come off, you will be shot in the head, and you will be written off in the media as a terrorist. By and large the general public, having the mental capacity of a cow and fearing the loss of toys and steak your actions represented in a world where their comforts are already crumbling, will cheer your demise.

I am going back to all of my old oil-focused environmental protest groups, still busy pointlessly rabble-rousing about a pipeline owned by the loving government, and trying to encourage them to immediately drop that poo poo and pivot to an outreach model to build degrowth transition mutual-aid networks. So that whomever is listening, right loving now, has a snowballs chance in hell of not immediately dying when agriculture fails.