Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok since everyone has been talking toy costs and production I've had a question for a while i've been sitting on. I've heard tons about how expensive it is to do tooling for toys especially the molds.

Obviously not on the same size scale as most toys but how does the Kinder egg/joy/surprise people do it then? They produce tons of different toys, seasonal ones, and new ones every year and package them with some chocolate and sell them for like 1.50. Those toys still need to be designed and have molds made for them just like my big boy toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Has anyone bought Creative Beasts Studio's Beasts of the Mesozoic figures? I'm thinking of buying a few for my sister and I wanna know what to expect vis a vis quality.

Second hand information, but I've only heard glowing reviews. I'm 99% certain you have no experience with Monster-arts, but that's what you should expect if you have had.

But since I'm pretty sure you haven't- these are basically made like statues, so the plastic is way more rigid and harder than you're probably used to. Its a very different feeling kind of thing from Transformers or other action figure lines I've tried out. The articulation is, accordingly, not the MOST dynamic, but you can get them to do stuff. But if your sister is younger, might be best to avoid because these things aren't the friendliest to deal with. If that's not an issue, glowing review, have fun with the knowledge that the articulation isn't the best in mind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where the gently caress are my invader Zim figures diamond select !???

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Where the gently caress are my invader Zim figures diamond select !???

I'm not sure they actually make toys anymore

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Second hand information, but I've only heard glowing reviews. I'm 99% certain you have no experience with Monster-arts, but that's what you should expect if you have had.

But since I'm pretty sure you haven't- these are basically made like statues, so the plastic is way more rigid and harder than you're probably used to. Its a very different feeling kind of thing from Transformers or other action figure lines I've tried out. The articulation is, accordingly, not the MOST dynamic, but you can get them to do stuff. But if your sister is younger, might be best to avoid because these things aren't the friendliest to deal with. If that's not an issue, glowing review, have fun with the knowledge that the articulation isn't the best in mind.

My sister is in her 20's and I want to get her something more accurate and better sculpted than Schleich and other hardware store brand dinosaur figures.

I don't really expect dinosaur figures to be super articulated. It's the sculpt and accuracy I'm after.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

They’re rereleasing those Tron figures and those lotr figures. Where’s my Zim lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Burkion posted:

Occasionally they release a new Avatar figure but man, talk about a company that’s stayed perfectly still for the last 10 years while every company around them adapts to the market.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

My sister is in her 20's and I want to get her something more accurate and better sculpted than Schleich and other hardware store brand dinosaur figures.

I don't really expect dinosaur figures to be super articulated. It's the sculpt and accuracy I'm after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apieov8jX-Q

These are absolutely what you want, how you want them. I'm waiting for some things to shift around but I cannot lie, I'm aching for the T-Rexes to come stomping out.

CelticPredator posted:

They’re rereleasing those Tron figures and those lotr figures. Where’s my Zim lol

Diamond Select is this weird zombie toy company since they lost the DC line. I've been waiting on the Venom re-release for a while and God knows when that'll drop.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haha oh man, I was helping my folks clear out the basement (they're moving soon) and found Lal my transformers from the animated line. Thought I'd got rid of them ten years ago, but it's nice to see them.

Makes me want to track down the ultra magnus I could never find.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apieov8jX-Q

These are absolutely what you want, how you want them. I'm waiting for some things to shift around but I cannot lie, I'm aching for the T-Rexes to come stomping out.

Diamond Select is this weird zombie toy company since they lost the DC line. I've been waiting on the Venom re-release for a while and God knows when that'll drop.

Good then. I decided I'm gonna start her on the Mononychus and Microraptor two pack, since the latter is one of her favorite dinosaurs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Remember when Unicron was like, 50 bucks?

How much do you think Armada Unicron would run these days at retail

If they kept the electronics probably at least 120 to 150, if they gutted those out I could see it being a little bit cheaper

Though the price hikes are one of many reasons why I think the franchise's future(at least for the younger leaning lines) will be at smaller scales than the ones they currently focus on(for one thing the compromises to keep things cheaper are more forgivable when the figure is small)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Burkion posted:

probably 125 or so if I had to guess, hundo at the minimum

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kingtheninja posted:

Haha oh man, I was helping my folks clear out the basement (they're moving soon) and found Lal my transformers from the animated line. Thought I'd got rid of them ten years ago, but it's nice to see them.

Makes me want to track down the ultra magnus I could never find.
I only ever got a couple animated figures when they came out and they were awesome, if you're going to get rid of them and they're in good shape/complete, I'd probably be interested.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Blackchamber posted:

Ok since everyone has been talking toy costs and production I've had a question for a while i've been sitting on. I've heard tons about how expensive it is to do tooling for toys especially the molds.

Obviously not on the same size scale as most toys but how does the Kinder egg/joy/surprise people do it then? They produce tons of different toys, seasonal ones, and new ones every year and package them with some chocolate and sell them for like 1.50. Those toys still need to be designed and have molds made for them just like my big boy toys.

I'd have to guess the reason is the microscopic volume of the toys. mm3 vs cm3. They also run softer plastic, so might be able to run with lower quality tool steel.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus as far as I know the toys are not very complex. Add to that an absolute batshit amount sold compared to GI Joe or something like a hot toys, and you get the small price.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I'm going to use the reveal of the second Super7 Simpsons wave to mention my current favorite nerd possession:

I've got a buddy who works for the Springfield Thunderbirds in Massachusetts. A couple years ago they had a one-night event where they were rebranded as the Springfield Ice-O-Topes.

I used to do a lot of drawing and Photoshop stuff so he had me create a half-dozen player and coach portraits that were printed on card stock and given out to the first X number of attendees. My payment for doing those graphics was...

I love this obnoxious thing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy loving poo poo. Get that in a frame!!!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

I remember that I got mine on clearance at Target for $12. I just walked up to my mom with a giant toy box and said the price and she bought it no questions asked.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Get that in a frame!!!

But then how can I wear it?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

I work in corporate retail/product design and toy molds are insane indeed. Depending on the factory it can be around like $500 for a sample temp mold and then if you want to go into production the mold plates can often be like $3,000 each or more, which is why often things are usually the same shape but slightly different designs. We got the Star Wars license a couple years ago and without getting into the weeds, a lot of our entire product line shifted because of tooling costs for different characters. And yeah as also mentioned, something like a Kinder is using lower quality tooling to bang them out. Plus they have the buying power at scale.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

thiccabod posted:

I'm going to use the reveal of the second Super7 Simpsons wave to mention my current favorite nerd possession:

I've got a buddy who works for the Springfield Thunderbirds in Massachusetts. A couple years ago they had a one-night event where they were rebranded as the Springfield Ice-O-Topes.

I used to do a lot of drawing and Photoshop stuff so he had me create a half-dozen player and coach portraits that were printed on card stock and given out to the first X number of attendees. My payment for doing those graphics was...

I love this obnoxious thing

Years ago I had a Pin Pals bowling shirt and would occasionally wear it when I bowled in league but it was a large and I swam in it (I wear size small) and regret not buying a smaller size when they were readily available.

Tim Whatley posted:

I work in corporate retail/product design and toy molds are insane indeed. Depending on the factory it can be around like $500 for a sample temp mold and then if you want to go into production the mold plates can often be like $3,000 each or more, which is why often things are usually the same shape but slightly different designs. We got the Star Wars license a couple years ago and without getting into the weeds, a lot of our entire product line shifted because of tooling costs for different characters. And yeah as also mentioned, something like a Kinder is using lower quality tooling to bang them out. Plus they have the buying power at scale.

The Marvel Legends team at one point said it cost tens of thousands to create new plates and why it took a while for them to retire certain bucks (Bucky cap mold was the infamous one they used for years), or why they use minimal new parts on a more simple figure as they make up saving money there to spend it on a more unique character.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

The thing is that you can spend a few thousand and do it yourself- there are small injection molds you can buy for your workshop and you can have tiny molds made for you. Crafsman has been trying experiments on how to make home made molds as well. If you are talking about tiny toys that is. Of course it gets expensive on a larger scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueHwlQP4Es

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kinder Egg toys, on top of not being very big, are also really, really simple. They have few if any moving pieces.

Production cost for an action figure includes parts count, which is an unfriendly partner to price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I follow several guys who make Kenner-style Star Wars figures and have them done in an actual Chinese factory with real tools and good plastic, and the most of the steel molds created for these projects run from $3k-$10k each, depending on complexity and size. And that seems crazy at first, but then they’ll go and make hundreds of figures with that one mold and sell them for $40-$90 each.

Star Wars collecting is bonkers and I love it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Is that $3-$10K for the whole figure or for each part? So 6 like pieces in a 5 POA fig.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Captain Invictus posted:

I only ever got a couple animated figures when they came out and they were awesome, if you're going to get rid of them and they're in good shape/complete, I'd probably be interested.

I couldn't bring them back with me, but they'll be here in a couple of weeks, I'll go through them and let you know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just look at the prices of various PLA for 3D printing. Printing and casting is something I've been interested in for a while but I could see those hobbies getting wildly out of control as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Just look at the prices of various PLA for 3D printing. Printing and casting is something I've been interested in for a while but I could see those hobbies getting wildly out of control as well.

PLA for toys really isn't the best option, SLA (Resin) is the better option. It has become really affordable now with good printers in the $200 range. There are more steps and some chemical danger with it but the results are stunning.

And real injection molding for toy manufacturing is WAY cheaper than it was in the 60-00s but it isn't cheap for something like a modern action figure. Molds in the 80s and 90s for example ran between 50-200k a piece, which is why you saw so many reuses in things and very simple molds. It is also why they were reused for years and years before being retired. Now stuff as said you can get done between 3-5k but for a figure that has between 21 and 65 individual pieces that can still be very expensive.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nodosaur posted:

Has anyone bought Creative Beasts Studio's Beasts of the Mesozoic figures? I'm thinking of buying a few for my sister and I wanna know what to expect vis a vis quality.

I have their GITD triceratops and it's not bad. Solidly built, but the range of motion in the neck and jaw isn't as much as I'd like. It can only look slightly side-to-side (up/down movement is about right) and the jaw is barely movable, so it's stuck with a half open mouth.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 6, 2022

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Mezco Conan back in stock at BBTS for $200.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/114405

I missed it the first time so I made sure to grab one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is that $3-$10K for the whole figure or for each part? So 6 like pieces in a 5 POA fig.

Not 100% sure, but I think for Stan Solo in particular he has them cast multiple parts on a single mold to keep costs down. The $10k mold was for a big Kenner-style Bantha.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Grant DaNasty posted:

Mezco Conan back in stock at BBTS for $200.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/114405

I missed it the first time so I made sure to grab one.

Wow a $110 markup but still $50 cheaper than what it looks like it’s going for on eBay. It’s a great figure but personally I wouldn’t pay that much for it. It might just be easy for me to say that because I got it at the original price.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not 100% sure, but I think for Stan Solo in particular he has them cast multiple parts on a single mold to keep costs down. The $10k mold was for a big Kenner-style Bantha.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Edit: tough price for Conan, but easily one of the top 5 figs I got last year.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Book of Boba spoiler:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: That's solid.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Fuzz posted:

Book of Boba spoiler:

Had a good lol at that.

Watching the show I can't help but think about which characters are clearly designed to be toy-etic. There's one in this week's episode that as soon as they stepped on screen it was obvious they were designed for action figures.

That said, I do want a Matt Barry bot to go with my Ayoade bot from Mando.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Book of Boba spoiler:

:laffo:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shiftypenguin posted:

Had a good lol at that.

Watching the show I can't help but think about which characters are clearly designed to be toy-etic. There's one in this week's episode that as soon as they stepped on screen it was obvious they were designed for action figures.

That said, I do want a Matt Barry bot to go with my Ayoade bot from Mando.

He’s been in the comics.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Fuzz posted:

Book of Boba spoiler:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got a bunch of gift cards for Christmas, went to Target to grab one of the half off Fakers and of course they're not on sale anymore!