Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

where what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gripweed posted:

So this has got me looking into adaptations of Cyrano de Bergerac, and in the 1980s they did an adaptation set in modern-day(well, 80s, but it was modern-day at the time) small town America. AND GUESS WHAT FEATURE OF THE ORIGINAL THEY KEPT

Roxanne was good. You should watch it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes, the nose is a very common element of the story and one that is carried over across adaptations. This is obviously subverting that by having the character be a little person with a more or less typical nose. I'm not worried about the violating the sanctity of this Cyrano adaptation by changing a feature of the character, I'm more worried that it's by the guy that did Pan, where Hugh Jackman snorts pixies and his child slaves sing nirvana songs to him.

Huh, yeah that seems like an ominous sign in regards to this movies quality.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm more worried that it's by the guy that did Pan, where Hugh Jackman snorts pixies and his child slaves sing nirvana songs to him.

Did we as a species just decide to pretend the movie never happened? I feel like we all came together and agreed to that, possibly before the movie even came out.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Gotta have a firearm somewhere visible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dr_rat posted:

Did we as a species just decide to pretend the movie never happened? I feel like we all came together and agreed to that, possibly before the movie even came out.

I never saw that version, but now I kinda want to.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mister Chief posted:

Those noses make me uncomfortable.

Clearly we need wider noses, not pointier ones!

https://www.themakeupgallery.info/disfigured/disfigured/penelope.htm

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When did this become a fetish thread?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When did this become a fetish thread?

????????????????

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mierenneuker posted:

Clearly we need wider noses, not pointier ones!

Toshiro Mifune as Samurai Cyrano has you covered

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Not only does the character have a big nose, the actual human being Cyrano de Bergerac had a big nose. And to the best of my knowledge, every film adaptation has kept the big nose.

That's Adam Driver

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

penelope is really good

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

went looking at what was most recently put up on a site for obtaining movies very legally

these were all put up back-to-back in one huge wad and they're all extremely Something Else

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That seems like a very mild thing for a curse to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks less like monsters and more unhappy that someone stank up the bathroom.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Knuckle tattoos have looked good all of once - the first time it was done by Robert Mitchum.

Every time since then has just been stupid.

Well, almost every time:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does anyone else ever look at movies like this and feel a little bit inspired to make your own movie? Those are all technically movies, everyone involved can accurately say that they made a movie, so why not you?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Two unemployed friends become entangled with a gangster once the money starts rolling in after selling black-market toilet paper during a pandemic."

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The budget was only $15mill so maybe in the original script it was a pig with the face of a human and the FX people told them they need to "scale it back. a lot".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yet every suitor she ends up meeting is abhorred by it and runs away screaming. It's basically a fairytale movie and no one can act like a regular human being in those.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mierenneuker posted:

Yet every suitor she ends up meeting is abhorred by it and runs away screaming. It's basically a fairytale movie and no one can act like a regular human being in those.

If they've really gone through dozens of suitors I'd imagine that they had one or two who actually got more into her when they saw the pig nose but then were disappointed when the curse was lifted and left, thus causing the curse to go into effect again.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Knuckle tattoos have looked good all of once - the first time it was done by Robert Mitchum.

Every time since then has just been stupid.

The old sailor in Master & Commander pulls it off, even though it contributed to nautical tattoos being run into the ground.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hold Fast got old fast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/99cheerleaders/status/1478266612029566976?t=uGKL797Fg1dNr015atB23A&s=19

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Does anyone else ever look at movies like this and feel a little bit inspired to make your own movie? Those are all technically movies, everyone involved can accurately say that they made a movie, so why not you?

yeah actually

a local theater company, for whom I ran the audio and occasionally stage managed, branched out into video/digital film

I was their boom op, occasional camera op, and had one small role when an actor ditched

I have imdb credits because of this

I would absolutely get back into the business, but I have neither the time, the energy, the material, nor the manpower to actually produce anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This seems crazy now, but at the time that movie was released, gay rights in this country were still pretty poo poo and public attitudes towards gay people weren't the greatest yet. It came out in 2005 which is not long after the 2004 election, which featured the GOP pushing a bunch of state-level ballot measures to ban gay marriage. So I can see the marketing people kind of not sure what to do with this movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You have those out of order

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's set in Hawaii

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Batman posting his L's

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waffleman_ posted:

"Two unemployed friends become entangled with a gangster once the money starts rolling in after selling black-market toilet paper during a pandemic."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Henry Zebrowski losin his dang mind!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MISter Garibaldi.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The others I get, but who's this supposed to be? Scarecrow? IMDb doesn't list him as in the film so probably not. Whoever it is, that mask is terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's Sexcreep.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Woebin posted:

The others I get, but who's this supposed to be? Scarecrow? IMDb doesn't list him as in the film so probably not. Whoever it is, that mask is terrible.

I think it's the Riddler, but he's, like, Jigsaw now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Riddle me this, Batman!

They scream and shout, they scurry like rats,
But they're scared of you, you big black bat.
But they'll love me, a king I'll be crowned,
Can you point me the way, to the nearest playground?