Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I'd like to buy them, but they're pretty expensive on the market board. Like I'd be spending hundreds of thousands of gil, and I've already spent a ton of money just doing normal levelling... it's gonna be great when I finally get to the part of crafting where you MAKE money!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
sage!

sage?

sage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has anyone ever used a tank/healer LB1 or 2 to appreciable effect

Yes, if by “effect” you mean my full party laughing at me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually used a Healer LB2 to prevent a wipe in EX1 earlier during the superstack but honestly a tank LB2 coulda done better.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ironically enough I just got out of tanking the level 85 dungeon for leveling roulette. We were on the last boss and it was a grim situation. The healer (a scholar) and the DPS (a reaper and, thankfully, a red mage) were dropping left and right, ending up in a raise loop because they didn't know about raise invuln. We finally got everyone up while I'm standing still licking heart of corundum like rock candy and the boss starts casting a raidwide while everyone else is still sitting at post-raise HP levels.

The healer, otherwise resourceless and even without a fairy out, dropped healer LB2 to bring their HP high enough so they could survive it and we managed to drag everyone to the end for a clear.

I was half expecting to have to solo the rest of the fight on my own.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

derra posted:

That was the old system (and you only had to look at 1 node each from two different groups) but now they just constantly respawn in a circle.

What the hell, there are multiple? I have been living a lie.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

God I love the dumb loving Holos animation, it's so good. :allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been doing a bunch of crafting, and actually wound up running out of Wind Crystals... I've never had to actually go out and get more crystals before, I've always had like thousands it felt like. What's the best way to get more? Just go out there and mine some?

If you don't want to buy them, get a bunch of Cordials from your GC for seals, turn on a podcast, and run in a circle hammering level 30 nodes that give them; the quarrying area in the East Shroud is probably your best bet. There's usually three nodes that you can run between (one of them always has +Gatherer's Boon, which is useless for crystals), and two of the nodes will have a chance of proccing something good like increased yield or increased gathering attempts. You usually want to try and pop The Giving Land on one of the increased gathering attempt nodes, but popping it on cooldown is better than waiting overlong for a fresh node. Use The Twelve's Bounty whenever you're not using The Giving Land, with copious Cordial swigging when you can get the max GP from them. This isn't an especially fast method, but you can usually get a pretty good bundle of crystals in a half hour's work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I decided to try pentamelding and haha this is awful.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Don't worry, in two or three patches this will end up being the only way that you feel alive.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Pollyanna posted:

Yep! Was even worse before the mass meld option

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I use the tank LB for large trash pulls in levelling dungeons if there is melee DPS or bad ranged DPS.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've been doing a bunch of crafting, and actually wound up running out of Wind Crystals... I've never had to actually go out and get more crystals before, I've always had like thousands it felt like. What's the best way to get more? Just go out there and mine some?

There are two ways I get crystals if I don't want to just buy them:

a) Botanist/miner retainers now give 120 crystals per venture. You can get crystals while you do other stuff.
b) Aetherial reduction on items for aethersand will yield a lot of incidental crystals. For EW, that's Ewer Clay that yields Wind Crystals. You can get some Moonlight Aethersand (which is used for Grade 6 Tinctures, and thus a fast-moving commodity) while doing so.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 6, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I used the healer LB2 in the 87 dungeon after we kept loving up That One Mechanic and needed hp up badly to counteract dots.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hit your crystal+ skills when it's off cd and you're gathering normally, it's like ~100 for a 5 hit node. For the expensive crystals that's like 12k, which is probably way better than getting whatever rock/log you otherwise get.

Do this regularly and use your MIN/BTN retainers if you have them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Another thrilling Hildebrand Adventure comes to a close in tonight's LP Update. Also I ramble about a bunch of crafting I did.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For Heavensturn, I can buy the helm I don’t choose from a calamity salvager, right?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

For Heavensturn, I can buy the helm I don’t choose from a calamity salvager, right?

you can buy it from the holiday vendor who's standing near the quest guy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am now studying ocean fishing spreadsheets.

Doing all the gathering and crafting quests really feels like the WoL in "vacation mode" lol, island sanctuary soon pls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
cleared P2S tonight

I like the fight, but the rest of my raid group was down on it

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The new tomestone weapon for Sage is 4 widdle dragon airplanes!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pollyanna posted:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

The aethersand mats give tons of crystals and clusters when reduced if you have access to them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I remember in interviews someone from the dev team said something like "We had 2 stories of expansions left to tell but made it 1" and that's exactly how I felt at level 83

I'm on the moon already? Garlemald is gone already? I FOUGHT ZODIARK WHAT?

Even the Zodiark trial waiting area is built up like the end of SHB with the amaurotians and the pillars of light

It's good so far though. Just amazed that I managed to see all these new places and it hasn't felt overstuffed like Stormblood yet

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I turned my stack of ~100 IX materia clusters to Direct Hit materia and sold them all for some 18k each in the span of a few hours, this pentamelding thing seems like a great mechanic to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh crap I have been hoarding those, I should put them on the market too.

Is there any reason to keep grade 1-6 materia, I just have them collecting dust in a retainer backpack

I guess I could probably make a lot more money if I put effort into it but selling junk is basically my limit

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh crap I have been hoarding those, I should put them on the market too.

Is there any reason to keep grade 1-6 materia, I just have them collecting dust in a retainer backpack

I guess I could probably make a lot more money if I put effort into it but selling junk is basically my limit

If you're not using them, sell them. Some of the low level ones marketboard for surprisingly high prices.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
might be the WoW part of my brain talking, but I'd like to see some of the Endwalker leveling dungeons have a harder version or something

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was stuck in a bad roulette group for trial 79 and we kept wiping on the add phase from picking up too many vuln stacks from the exploding mobs before the ult so eventually I just popped a tank LB and we did it, didn't stop the DPS moaning that I'd wasted the LB though

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tank LBs 1 and 2 can be used to push past some mechanics while doing progression.

For example, I was watching Stal and her group doing the Savage race stuff and they would use the tank LBs to get through a couple mechanics that they weren't quite sure what was going on, or if something has gone wrong and they needed some resistance to get through an AoE.

Aside from buying them, other people have mentioned you can use Aetherial Reduction. You can do that by poking at Ephemeral Nodes (more generic information if you're completely unaware of the system). It's better than just going out and picking off whatever regular node, and the Aethersand you get will be useful for either your own crafting or to sell in the MB.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zeruel posted:

might be the WoW part of my brain talking, but I'd like to see some of the Endwalker leveling dungeons have a harder version or something

Yeah I'm with you there, the whole endgame roulette system could really do with a major shake up. The worst part is when we get into the .X releases and EXDR becomes seeing the same dungeon 50% of the time for six months, doesn't particularly feel like there's anything 'expert' about it either when most of the leveling dungeons are significantly spicier to run

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I do kind of miss Hard dungeons. It was fun seeing what had changed and what new threat had moved in that we needed to punch. Plus I have fond memories of chain-running Brayflox hard to save the cheese. :v:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Our group uses tank LB1 for aetheroplasm boom during UWU. It helps mitigate the heavy damage from the orb soaks and we still have LB3 ready for melee when Ultima Weapon is charging for citadel buster enrage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I do kind of miss Hard dungeons. It was fun seeing what had changed and what new threat had moved in that we needed to punch. Plus I have fond memories of chain-running Brayflox hard to save the cheese. :v:

I miss them so much. Hard dungeons were great.

E: I guess they weren't actually any harder than their contemporaries but still I was usually into the flavour.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They've specifically said that they stopped doing Hard dungeons because the workload was killing them. So if we ever get another Hard dungeon, it'll come instead of a brand new max level dungeon, and not in addition to it. While obviously from the player's perspective more dungeons is always better, they simply don't have the time do that without compromising in other areas.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's why making heavier use of leveling dungeons in a heroic/mythic system would be such a good idea!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If there was some roulette that kept me at max level for abilities and then randomly threw me into any level dungeon that'd be cool.

It'd be a nightmare to balance gameplay to be anything but "hold W and mash all your abilities" so I won't ever expect it and it's probably not a great idea anyhow?

I just want to see more of the stormblood dungeons, those are fun and flavorful

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Dignity posted:

That's why making heavier use of leveling dungeons in a heroic/mythic system would be such a good idea!

Oh, you mean like it's the exact same dungeon but the enemies sync up to max level?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you're not using them, sell them. Some of the low level ones marketboard for surprisingly high prices.

I'll probably break down and do this, since as time goes by it becomes increasingly unlikely that combat materia 6 or lower will be useful for edge case overmelds. And they're eating a lot of space on a retainer.

You'll never get me to divest my old gathering and crafting material piles though. Sometimes the smaller numbers actually do fit better in those overmeld slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Clarste posted:

Oh, you mean like it's the exact same dungeon but the enemies sync up to max level?

Yeah it’s what WoW does, I suspect the exclamation mark and specifically mentioning both heroic and mythic is maybe making fun of the system.

The basic idea is yeah, enemies scaled up to max level stats but otherwise the same. You could probably do changes similar to levelling vs extreme trials, same models but different/harder abilities for bosses.

I really like the way FFXIV used to do hard modes though, and would enjoy some form of that coming back, the remixed enemy groups and extra story was nice, but I understand why it’s gone.