Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

buglord posted:

Supraland started off in a way that seemed appealing - cutesy platformer with some upgrade options, but then it just turned into Portal without portals and I gave up on it.

the devs were pretty clear that Portal was one of the main influences so I'm not really sure what you were expecting, the core of the game is quite straight-forwardly Portal-style puzzle-platforming combined with Metroid Prime's 3D metroidvania structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Playing Prey for the first time:
I managed to get accidentally get at some stuff I didn't have the skills for by jamming an office whiteboard under some "leverage 3" crates, which then slowly wobbled out of the way. But in the process I also shunted an angry operator under the floor of the machine shop area. So I get spooky music and angry robot noises every time I walk around in there.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Det_no posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping I'll automatically get the money back in a few days. I'm a little wary of trying to buy it again after that but I guess I can try with paypal.

Okay, I looked and you can't even buy Minecraft Java through the MS store yet only through Gamepass or the Minecraft site. They're releasing it bundled with the Win 10 version sometime later this year but they haven't announced a date for it yet

I'm glad I had an ancient legacy account.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 6, 2022

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

Okay, I looked and you can't even buy Minecraft Java through the MS store yet only through Gamepass or the Minecraft site. They're releasing it bundled with the Win 10 version sometime later this year but they haven't announced a date for it yet

I'm glad I had an ancient legacy account.

Ended up trying again with paypal and it worked fine! Probably some sort of international transaction scare at my bank.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Good that it worked out.

Anyway picked up Severed Steel in the sale after all. The campaign is indeed fairly short (2-3 hours or so) but it's fun, the parkour is decent and destructible environments are great. It has an arcade mode, and a level editor with Workshop support so I'll probably get some more out of it before I'm done. I think the shooting could be tighter and it's a little jank but overall fairly solid game if you like wall-sliding and diving around.

The roadmap has some more campaign coming fairly soon so that will probably be good.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 6, 2022

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

tripwood posted:

I didn't like the game mechanics, card based game with a lot of RNG elements. Doesn't respect your time at all, there's gacha/stingy booster pack mechanics in how you obtain cards (even though it's a single player game). It's anime as all hell as well. Cool art direction though.

That's a shame. It looks cool.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think that particular person is exaggerating the "doesn't respect your time at all" thing. The booster pack thing is only a problem if you totally outmatch your opponents. Personally I like using the odd rematch to test out new decks.

But there is an LP of the game in the LP forum if you want to check out the early game and have somebody explain how things work better than the tutorials.

It is a real cool game, but people who are sick of hearing " There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" should look elsewhere.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

fit em all up in there posted:

That's a shame. It looks cool.

It's on gamepass if you want to try it for yourself

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dackel posted:

It's on gamepass if you want to try it for yourself

I was gonna say "unless you're in Australia" but I guess they went and got a classification rating and put it up, finally

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mescal posted:

I was reading that en dash as 'through the 5th' instead of 'until the 5th' :/
Put things on your wishlist for chinese new year sale, then.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had a dream that Steam started a new sale this week. Apparently Steam sales dominate my life now? :stonklol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
God of War's out on PC in a week, I'm actually looking forward to it. Its combat mechanics seem fun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Protocol7 posted:

I had a dream that Steam started a new sale this week. Apparently Steam sales dominate my life now? :stonklol:

Any good deals?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Deakul posted:

Any good deals?

They woke up, covered in cold sweat: Terraria was only 40% off.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mordja posted:

God of War's out on PC in a week, I'm actually looking forward to it. Its combat mechanics seem fun.

It's an intense game, I really enjoyed it on ps4, there are a couple of additions which I didn't love - crafting/fast travel, but honestly you can ignore most of them

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Deakul posted:

Any good deals?

I didn't buy anything because of decision paralysis, so... yes? No? :shrug:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

They woke up, covered in cold sweat: Terraria was only 40% off.

That's rough. I'm old enough to remember getting 4-packs of Terraria for $5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

I tend to struggle to game on consoles in general, but I got so bored with it on PS4. Game seemed to be much more, "I hope you like plot" than "I hope you like combat" -- and story is by far the least important thing to me in a game. Maybe I'd enjoy the combat more on keyboard & mouse than with a controller though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright I guess I should mention the games coming out in the next month+...

Monster Hunter Rise - Jan 12
Price: $60

MH fans have told me that compared to World this is the 'good one'. Stux has given it the seal of approval and said 'awooooo'.

The Anacrusis - Jan 13 (on Gamepass)

Here's the second (of three) Left 4 Dead clones, this one is on a very 70s space station and is about aliens rather than zombies.

Supraland: Six Inches Under - Jan 14

A sequel, but not THE sequel, to Supraland (it's been called Supraland 1.5 by the developer), Six Inches Under promises less lovely and more infrequent combat, and a 55/40 ratio balance of exploration to puzzle-solving.

God of War - Jan 14
Price: $50

In this one Kratos accidentally winds up with two dates and has to somehow get through both of them-- without Don Knotts noticing!!

Nobody Saves the World - Jan 18

The developer of Guacamelee is trying something completely different, a top-down ARPG that doesn't seem too far off from what Archvale went for in 2021. NSTW involves transforming between a lot of different forms, each with their own abilities (and apparently questlines?) that you can mix & match.

Windjammers 2 - Jan 20 (on Gamepass)

The vs sports experience that is more meme than game at this point, is finally being released this month.

Pupperazzi - Jan 20 (on Gamepass)

That's right motherfuckers it's another photography game!!! This one seems also memey as heck but it's by the developer of Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor which was fresh as hell. So it might be alright??

Life is Strange Remastered - Feb 1

If you want to have all those same Bae/Bay arguments all over again, you can play through a remastered version of both LIS and Before the Storm in a month. Upgrade path for existing owners? Hahahahahaha

Dying Light 2 - Feb 4

The game that I know more for kicking Chris Avellone out for being a turd, Dying Light has all the parkour of the first game but hopefully with more fun encounter design. I guess you have powers in this one? It's another AAA game that tiredly calls their main location The City rather than coming up with an actual name.

OlliOlli World - Feb 8
Price: $30

The third OlliOlli enters the third dimension and is definitely going for an Adventure Timey whimsical look. The second game was a step down from the original so hopefully this is a return to form. The game costs $30 and also will have an Expansion Pass with two story expansions in Summer and Fall... not sure how I feel about that, good for indie devs to make scratch but also feels a little like maybe their publisher made that decision (Private Division), especially with the game costing twice as much as the first two.

Out There: Oceans of Time - Feb 10

One of those 'we've got everything' games, a sequel to Out There that combines space travel with CYOA with top-down planetside exploration with roguelite.

King of Fighters XV - Feb 17

Wow! Fifteen of these huh. I don't really care about fighting games but I did play KOF 95 a couple of times at a bowling alley when I was younger and got absolutely wrecked by the CPU.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen - Feb 22
Price: $40

The latest Destiny expansion that will eventually be deleted and taken away from paying customers with the excuse of "sowwy, our internet ran out of room!!" gently caress this stupid game lol

Monark - Feb 22

This is probably going to be.. bad... but I feel like I need to include it because it has ex-SMT people on it. But it's also FuRyu. It's also a tactics game rather than a press-turny thing.

Elden Ring - Feb 24

FROM's latest game has its biggest evolution yet, as jumping will no longer involve clicking an analog stick. Also it's open world or something.

Atelier Sophie 2 - Feb 24

The more important game releasing on Feb 24 is the long awaited followup to the Mysterious Trilogy-- okay it's not the most loved Atelier trilogy but apparently Sophie tops character polls in Japan so here's a new Sophie game. It seems like maybe they're going with the previous battle style instead of the Ryza ATB style? Fine with me.

-----

Now, that's what we know with confirmed release dates. There are actually a TON of games targetting "early 2022" or "Q1 2022" that could end up being released during this period. This includes:

Sephonie (by the creators of Anodyne 1 & 2)
Sucker for Love: First Date (expansion of a Haunted PS1 Demo Disc game)
Strange Horticulture (weird plant sleuthing game)
Patrick's Parabox (recursive puzzler where you go inside of levels inside of levels)
Apico (life sim about beekeeping)
Ghost on the Shore (walking simulator)
Sir You are Being Hunted: Reinvented Edition
Super Dungeon Maker (basically Mario Maker for Zelda dungeons)
Figment 2: Creed Valley
Sanabi (grapple hook platformer)
Antipole DX (gravity-switching platformer)
Bushiden
Rubi the Wayward Mira
Transmute
Princess Farmer
Teabat
Crystal Project (nonlinear JRPG)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 6, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am really happy more photography games are happening

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
"Compared to World Rise is the good one" is actively misleading, imo.

Both are good. World looks amazing graphically and has a good, weighty combat.

Rise is pretty arcadey due to the Wirebug mechanic and the graphics do not match up whatsoever to what World had.

Honestly as someone who started with World I actually kinda find myself on the fence regarding playing Rise.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Whoever said that Rise is "the good one compared to World" is an idiot or a brokebrain grognard.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
As someone who started before World I endorse the sentiment, World was a step back in a lot of ways and Rise fixes all of them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol world was an absolute miracle for the series

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i prefer world to rise but i mean both are super good monhun games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
World was fantastic and Rise felt a prequel in comparison

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
rise is the gamers choice, gamers select, its the whole gamers deluxe combo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

monster hunter rise of the silver surfer

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Im just gonna use Rise as an opportunity to play something else other than lance. Because apparently it didn't get any improvements in rise. Hello Gunlance :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gorogoa - insanely cool and unique artsy puzzle game. very short and very sweet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Snake Maze posted:

As someone who started before World I endorse the sentiment, World was a step back in a lot of ways and Rise fixes all of them.

Care to elaborate on this? I played a lot of 4 and then World, and World felt amazing in comparison. The Rise demo felt good but it felt like more monster hunter but with a dog now so I'm curious what these steps back were that Rise fixes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

same except i started with world. playing rise and then going back to gu showed me how much world removed for no apparent reason lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The tower defense parts pretty much killed Rise for me

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Literally the closest games to Monster Hunter I had tried before World were Dark Souls or Skyrim. Coming from that background, Rise would have been a hard no for me. Now that I kinda get the mechanics and style of a boss rush game, Rise is fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hot take: World was good, and Rise is/will be even better

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Literally the closest games to Monster Hunter I had tried before World were Dark Souls or Skyrim.

:psyduck:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

explosivo posted:

Care to elaborate on this? I played a lot of 4 and then World, and World felt amazing in comparison. The Rise demo felt good but it felt like more monster hunter but with a dog now so I'm curious what these steps back were that Rise fixes.

- Open world in World just replaces 2 second loading screens with 15 seconds of running down a hallway following an ugly neon line. The actual map structure and the way it impacts the gameplay was completely unchanged.

- Multiplayer in World is a pain in the rear end due to the way cutscenes work

- Games-as-a-service power creep in World meant there was one objectively best armor with no reason to use anything else

- Decorations as random drops

- Wounding is a bad mechanic

- Tons of weapons that are just the bone/iron model with a patch of scales on it.

Rise fixes all of this stuff. Map traversal in particular is massively improved from World, between the dog, wirebugs, and having an actual open map instead of rooms with hallways.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool, thanks for the info! The demo felt great but was over quick so I was really only able to see the surface level changes. Still not sure if I'm going to pick it up right away but will be keeping an eye on it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
World as a goddamn pain in the rear end to play MP and if Rise fixes that I'll say it's the better game because all I want to do is fire up some quick lunch-time hunts with my buds and not be forced to basically go through the campaign solo to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

- Open world in World just replaces 2 second loading screens with 15 seconds of running down a hallway following an ugly neon line. The actual map structure and the way it impacts the gameplay was completely unchanged.

- Multiplayer in World is a pain in the rear end due to the way cutscenes work

- Games-as-a-service power creep in World meant there was one objectively best armor with no reason to use anything else

- Decorations as random drops

- Wounding is a bad mechanic

- Tons of weapons that are just the bone/iron model with a patch of scales on it.

Rise fixes all of this stuff. Map traversal in particular is massively improved from World, between the dog, wirebugs, and having an actual open map instead of rooms with hallways.

theres also it removing all the cool combat options/styles from gu which rise reintroduces w wirebug moves