Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cloks posted:

Moon Knight by Jeff Lemire

Unlimited turned me into a Moon Knight Guy. I started with the 2014 Ellis run and just kept reading. Loved all of it apart from the Bemis run from 188-200 - I just didn't click with his take on the character. There's only three issues of the new run from Jed MacKay on Unlimited but it's fantastic so far.

For something short and cosmic there's a five issue run of Beta Ray Bill from 2021 that I really enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll second the recommendation, but the secret wars tie-in is entirely skippable.

I'll recommend the Mary Jane series. (Mary Jane, Mary Jane: Homecoming, and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane) it's a lovely slice-of-life series. Just stop when you get to the end of Volume of SMLMJ, it was a new creative team for volume 2.

The recent Amazing Mary Jane (which is in 616) is ALSO good!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Party Boat posted:

Unlimited turned me into a Moon Knight Guy. I started with the 2014 Ellis run and just kept reading. Loved all of it apart from the Bemis run from 188-200 - I just didn't click with his take on the character.

Even the wacky / pointless Legacy Quest arc?

Definitely start with the Moench / Sienkiewicz run so you can appreciate how Ellis took the best elements from the other runs and refined / renewed the character in better ways.

Also, if you're a baseball fan, don't miss Bullseye: Perfect Game. Only 2 issues but a great story.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
black widow has good guest art

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Binary Badger posted:

Even the wacky / pointless Legacy Quest arc?

Definitely start with the Moench / Sienkiewicz run so you can appreciate how Ellis took the best elements from the other runs and refined / renewed the character in better ways.

I think Legacy Quest might have been before I started reading? The stuff I read was like... volumes 7-8 or 157 - 200 using the legacy numbering? Then I did exactly what you suggested and read the first run which was fantastically pulpy with some incredible art, I remember geeking out about it itt

At some point I'll try and read the other bits in the middle but I think a chunk of the 80s stuff still isn't on Unlimited.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

site posted:

black widow has good guest art

This is very good.

Also, how many languages can Natasha speak?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nilbop posted:

This is very good.

Also, how many languages can Natasha speak?

How many languages are there on earth?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's an old school avenger. there's no way she can't speak at least kree.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also comics Natasha Romanova was born in like the late 1930s or some such, she's had a lot of time to practice her spy skills.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We need a superhero who claims to be able to speak seven languages but actually can speak English, very basic German, and knows some "where is the bathroom" level phrases in five others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

We need a superhero who claims to be able to speak seven languages but actually can speak English, very basic German, and knows some "where is the bathroom" level phrases in five others.

I had a coworker who was shockingly impressed that I could count to 20 in Spanish. They were Filipino and spoke fluent English and Tagalog (I think?)

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I can speak broken Spanish from being Chilean and broken English with a extremely rough accent that I learned by playing videogames and watching movies :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I learned how to swear in Klingon in college.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gripweed posted:

that's Tony stark

e: actually since cap was in the war probably him too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

that's Tony stark

e: actually since cap was in the war probably him too

Nowadays Stark can cheat since he's got AI in his suit that can translate on the fly.

And yeah I imagine Cap is passable at French and maybe a little German

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TwoPair posted:

Nowadays Stark can cheat since he's got AI in his suit that can translate on the fly.

And yeah I imagine Cap is passable at French and maybe a little German

Do you think the A on his head stands for 'French'???

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I read Secret Wars. Wasn't crazy about it. The stuff in the first issue where the Ultimate Marvel Universe and the real Marvel universe went to war seemed way more fun and interesting than the god Doom stuff. I guess all the potentially entertaining stuff about the Battleworld is in the side stories? Still seems a bad move to have this wild setting where every country is themed around a different superhero or villain, and then set the whole story in just one of those countries.

I'm a late but Hickman is one of my favorite writers (tied with Gillen, BKV, and Ewing) so I wanted to chime in a little. I think everyone was very clear about the many great tie-ins but especially Thors and Siege(of course, it's Gillen.)

It was mentioned that Secret Wars was a whole mood and that's very true. It all grew out of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers building the story of the collapsing multiverse and the various efforts to slow it down and to preserve our universe. There's some very good issues in there. Additionally Hickman's Doom and Reed very much continue from his run on FF, which started with Dark Reign FF.

It's kind of a lot but if you like any of Hickman's other stuff I strongly recommend reading all of that and ending with Secret Wars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman's entire Marvel opus can be traced back to Dark Reign F4 and the introduction of the Bridge. It's probably the single greatest long term story by a single writer that I've ever read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hold that statement until Reckoning War comes out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Open Marriage Night posted:

*chuckles*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rhyno posted:

Hickman's entire Marvel opus can be traced back to Dark Reign F4 and the introduction of the Bridge. It's probably the single greatest long term story by a single writer that I've ever read.

Right on. For me, that's cool to hear, but it seems so inaccessible for my interests. I'm not into Marvel line wide events generally, not into the returned Norman Osborn, and the Avengers books aren't usually high on my list. But I'm very interested in his FF run, have had the first trades starting with issue 570 forever. And was gonna read Secret Wars for good measure, but without most tie-ins. Something like Dark Reign: FF was never on my radar, so it's interesting to hear a major thing is introduced there.

I'm still reading 80s X-Men, and look forward to checking out his recent X run too.

Long story short, I'd love to read every Hickman comic, but Avengers and events would just be backlog stuff behind books that are more up my alley. And the read log is decades long already. But cool to hear it's dope.

(Edit:)

If there are a couple thingies outside of monthly Fantastic Four/FF and the main Secret Wars mini-series I'd want in a curated Hickman Reed read, let me know folks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 8, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

claims to speak fluent chinese but their mandarin pronunciation is so bad that actual speakers can't understand a word they say

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’d kind of need to read Hickman’s Avengers/New Avengers, because the New half picks up on a lot of the threads involving Reed, Doom, and T’Challa from FF/F4.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Binary Badger posted:

Also start with that run so you can appreciate the glorious Sienkiewicz art

it's so good

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Also if you like Immortal Hulk, Ewing's run on The Ultimates is equally as good (imo) and ties into his current Defenders limited series (which I'm sure I'll be able to reccomend when it's finished in a month or two).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just recently read his entire Ultimates run and can confirm it was great.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I just started Ewing's Ultimates run today and am looking forward to reading more.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The two page spread of the Ultimate Ultimates at the very end of Ewing’s Ultimates is probably one of my favorite things in all of comics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was always clear that lifebringer galactus from ultimates was never going to last, but he was reverted to fight ultron. ultron!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was always clear that lifebringer galactus from ultimates was never going to last, but he was reverted to fight ultron. ultron!

The scene with Molecule Man about the myth of Sisyphus and assumptions is maybe my favourite thing in comics for a decade or more

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Also if you like Immortal Hulk, Ewing's run on The Ultimates is equally as good (imo) and ties into his current Defenders limited series (which I'm sure I'll be able to reccomend when it's finished in a month or two).

Basically everything Ewing has written in the last decade (and further maybe?) has had some plot elements carry over from one series to the next. Personally my favorite is when he introduces White Tiger's Tiger God in Mighty Avengers in 2013 and keeps introducing conflicts with it all the way until Black Panther basically pilots it into the Eternity Watch's big battle in the climax of Ultimates2 4 years later. It's almost like he has a canon within the canon of the Marvel Universe where he keeps calling back to his own other works and it rules.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Ultron did have the Soul Gem at the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
do not make me defend ultron in two different threads because I loving will

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Basically everything Ewing has written in the last decade (and further maybe?) has had some plot elements carry over from one series to the next. Personally my favorite is when he introduces White Tiger's Tiger God in Mighty Avengers in 2013 and keeps introducing conflicts with it all the way until Black Panther basically pilots it into the Eternity Watch's big battle in the climax of Ultimates2 4 years later. It's almost like he has a canon within the canon of the Marvel Universe where he keeps calling back to his own other works and it rules.

T'challa is so badass when Ewing writes him. It's notable that he was the only 'regular' Ultimate in the Eternity Watch.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Marvel Unlimited update: I've been switching off between reading through Hickman's whole...thing starting with Dark Reign: FF and the new run of Venom for something a little quicker, and I have to say, the symbiote Sleeper being an adorable kitty cat is pretty great.

Also, thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Didn't Marvel get the Predator license when they got the Alien license? I would've expected a Predator comic by now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gripweed posted:

Didn't Marvel get the Predator license when they got the Alien license? I would've expected a Predator comic by now.
For reasons no one seems to have followed up on, Marvel abruptly postponed all of their Predator stuff (new and reprints) back in April.

It is (presumably) connected to the screenwriters of the original Predator film suing to regain the rights to the property the same month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That does make sense. But since then they have announced that the new Predator movie is coming out, so they haven't put the entire franchise on hold. If they're willing to do a movie you'd expect them to do at least a mini-series at the same time to build hype.

But on the other hand maybe they're willing to release the movie because they'd already gone so far along in production by the time the lawsuit dropped that they want to make their money back on it before the suit is resolved. And they don't want to invest anything else in the franchise because that's risking building up a franchise that they might be about to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gripweed posted:

That does make sense. But since then they have announced that the new Predator movie is coming out, so they haven't put the entire franchise on hold. If they're willing to do a movie you'd expect them to do at least a mini-series at the same time to build hype.

But on the other hand maybe they're willing to release the movie because they'd already gone so far along in production by the time the lawsuit dropped that they want to make their money back on it before the suit is resolved. And they don't want to invest anything else in the franchise because that's risking building up a franchise that they might be about to lose.

I'm honestly not clear why the lawsuit would impact the comics but not Prey. Maybe Marvel decided to move the former closer to the release of the latter, or maybe the comics were going to use Dutch Schaefer or other elements that were more directly tied to the original 1987 film than what Prey is doing