Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

You will be shocked to learn that the collapse of the 2nd party in a two-party system results in a new second party.

I'm sure the Republicans will just let that happen after all it's not like they've been working to keep anyone not voting Republican from voting at all. Oh wait that’s exactly what they've been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gerund posted:

You will be shocked to learn that the collapse of the 2nd party in a two-party system results in a new second party.

I look forward to voting for the Republicans over the Mike Lindell/Alex Jones ticket of the Freedom Party.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

While the Dems are a poo poo party, and are doing poo poo tactics, the solution is probably not "You just gotta hand it to em" by letting the GOP having an electoral majority by encouraging less voting. And given that third parties are not likely to replace any of the major two parties anytime soon without enforcing ranked choice voting across the country, what do you suggest we do in the meantime?

I have no solutions. Seems to me there's no remedy since the problem is the people, not just the system. All I DO know is we will find no solutions until we stop pretending solutions are currently possible.

As for voting, I'll continue to encourage people to vote for the least evil viable candidate because accelerationism seems to be very privileged position, and *hope* that future generations learn positive lessons from the poo poo we're all about to face.

I mean, we're about to have single party rule at the federal level and a majority of states with the Democrats still existing... seems getting rid of them and opening a space for new parties isn't what's causing single party rule in America.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gerund posted:

But is without example in the US Legislative system. Either you get consolidated, the parties switch allegiances/policy (The Southern Strategy), or the other party just fights the validity of the 2nd party at all (which is what is happening now).

Bel Shazar posted:

I have no solutions. Seems to me there's no remedy since the problem is the people, not just the system. All I DO know is we will find no solutions until we stop pretending solutions are currently possible.

As for voting, I'll continue to encourage people to vote for the least evil viable candidate because accelerationism seems to be very privileged position, and *hope* that future generations learn positive lessons from the poo poo we're all about to face.

I mean, we're about to have single party rule at the federal level and a majority of states with the Democrats still existing... seems getting rid of them and opening a space for new parties isn't what's causing single party rule in America.

That's fine, I was just curious in what you propose, that's all.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm sure the Republicans will just let that happen after all it's not like they've been working to keep anyone not voting Republican from voting at all. Oh wait that’s exactly what they've been doing.

The modern republican party is already successfully doing the thing you're afraid of happening with decorous support from the current 2nd party, so what are you advocating for, rather than accurately explaining why said 2nd party will fail?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That's fine, I was just curious in what you propose, that's all.

My personal strategy is to give up on the country and its current occupants and inculcate as much anarchist and humanist thought as I can into future generations.

It's not a ton, I don't have a huge platform.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Well, the collapse of the Whigs did lead to a war that killed like 5% of the country, but it also freed like 14% of the country from slavery, so in conclusion the death of major US political parties is a land of contrasts.

I know you're joking, but I'll give a serious response anyway: I think the collapse of the Whigs and the war were both consequences of something else, rather than one causing the other.

Namely that thing is a more productive and powerful economic system (capitalism) supplanting another (feudalism), and the feudal ruling class turning to violence to attempt to preserve their system. Similar upheavals were happening in Europe around that time, (1848 revolutions) etc that ended up abolishing serfdom.

The Whigs collapsed because what they were trying to do was impossible: keep a ruling coalition of feudal landowners and the new industrial titans together when economic realities made them implacable mutual foes. The Whigs could have survived by rebranding themselves as the abolitionist party and purging the pro-slavery faction (so basically becoming the Republicans) but they splintered instead. The Republicans were really just the anti-slavery wing of the Whigs.

Anyway I don't see the Democrats collapsing or reinventing themselves as long as the current system persists. They are too useful to it as they are, as a release valve for populist opposition to conservatives. The only times you see parties in our stable two-party duopoly collapse or radically reform is when the system itself starts breaking down and can no longer maintain itself like in the mid-19th century, or again in 1929

Although maybe the current system is falling apart now. It seems like it but it's hard to tell, sometimes things can get really really bad and the system can exert enough violence and oppression to keep itself somewhat stable.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 6, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

The modern republican party is already successfully doing the thing you're afraid of happening with decorous support from the current 2nd party, so what are you advocating for, rather than accurately explaining why said 2nd party will fail?

My point is there is no scenario where the Republicans have one party rule, the Democrats collapse, and a leftist party magically comes into being. Anyone thinking otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

My point is there is no scenario where the Republicans have one party rule, the Democrats collapse, and a leftist party magically comes into being. Anyone thinking otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

Oh sure nothing positive comes from the Democrats falling apart, but a -1 vanishes and that's definitely less negative.

Remove the Democratic beard from our single party system.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CommieGIR posted:

While the Dems are a poo poo party, and are doing poo poo tactics, the solution is probably not "You just gotta hand it to em" by letting the GOP having an electoral majority by encouraging less voting. And given that third parties are not likely to replace any of the major two parties anytime soon without enforcing ranked choice voting across the country, what do you suggest we do in the meantime?

What do *you* suggest we do in the meantime? The present pattern offers no solutions. The Republicans take power, poo poo everywhere, alienate all of our allies and acquaintances, and take a sledgehammer to the foundations of the government. Horrified and aghast, the Democrats rally the voters to push the Republican wreckers out of office with promises to fix everything and restore normalcy. They get swept into office and proceed to do almost nothing to address the situation in a meaningful way or really fix anything beyond perhaps slapping a band-aid on the gushing stump while coming up with an endless list of excuses for why the time is not yet right to actually fix or change anything. Everyone sees them in power and doing loving nothing with it, so they get pissed and either don't vote or vote Republican and the cycle begins anew.

I totally understand that Republicans taking power will hurt people, but continually electing Democrats who refuse to do anything to fix the situation is not indefinitely sustainable either, because every time we do it just a little bit more enthusiasm for change bleeds out forever and is replaced with jaded, disconnected cynicism among the voting populace, and the Republicans do just a little bit more damage that can't be fixed. The foundation is rotting.

I find accelerationism abhorrent but at the same time I cannot see a near-term solution to the problems we face in the confines of the system that presently exists. The entrenched powers in the Democratic party have proven consistently and repeatedly that they would rather shoot the hostage and let the Republicans win than countenance an internal takeover from the left.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thanks for the post! I learned things. You know your history so it's always appreciated.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Angry_Ed posted:

And I never made up such a scenario to begin with. You are conflating the collapse of a second party with the establishment of one-party rule. I am saying the former is happening anyway using the evidence you yourself forwarded; what, then, is your advocated position?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Kanos posted:

What do *you* suggest we do in the meantime? The present pattern offers no solutions. The Republicans take power, poo poo everywhere, alienate all of our allies and acquaintances, and take a sledgehammer to the foundations of the government. Horrified and aghast, the Democrats rally the voters to push the Republican wreckers out of office with promises to fix everything and restore normalcy. They get swept into office and proceed to do almost nothing to address the situation in a meaningful way or really fix anything beyond perhaps slapping a band-aid on the gushing stump while coming up with an endless list of excuses for why the time is not yet right to actually fix or change anything. Everyone sees them in power and doing loving nothing with it, so they get pissed and either don't vote or vote Republican and the cycle begins anew.

I totally understand that Republicans taking power will hurt people, but continually electing Democrats who refuse to do anything to fix the situation is not indefinitely sustainable either, because every time we do it just a little bit more enthusiasm for change bleeds out forever and is replaced with jaded, disconnected cynicism among the voting populace, and the Republicans do just a little bit more damage that can't be fixed. The foundation is rotting.

I find accelerationism abhorrent but at the same time I cannot see a near-term solution to the problems we face in the confines of the system that presently exists. The entrenched powers in the Democratic party have proven consistently and repeatedly that they would rather shoot the hostage and let the Republicans win than countenance an internal takeover from the left.

I think the part where you claim democrats were swept into office is where that example breaks down. They have the narrowest possible margin in the Senate and are terminally dependent on the shiftiest Democrats from the most conservative states, when there were far more palatable dems that botched much simpler races. Acting like we’re in some ideal scenario for democrats or that the party is a CCP monolith that can execute members for disobedience that simply chooses not to exercise that power is ridiculous. The answer, simple as it is, is more dems in office and more progressive, whenever possible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One thing I find interesting in this discussion is that many of the people explaining why a one-party system like Japan is bad, are also saying that it's imperative the Democratic Party never lose a federal election and turn over power to the other party ever again.

There's a fundamental contradiction here somewhere, no?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

The answer, simple as it is, is more dems in office and more progressive, whenever possible.

That answer keeps delivering us Republicans... in part because the Dems do whatever they can to stifle most progressive causes.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

One thing I find interesting in this discussion is that many of the people explaining why a one-party system like Japan is bad, are also saying that it's imperative the Democratic Party never lose a federal election and turn over power to the other party ever again.

There's a fundamental contradiction here somewhere, no?

The answer is that the two political parties should be D&D and CSPAM. :getin:

Like, I wanna live in a country where Tina Fey is correctly classified as a conservative entertainer because of her unequivocally conservative worldview instead of being "on the left" because she's not a screaming lunatic.

(Sorry, I was watching S30 of SNL ['04-'05] recently so it was on my mind.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Oracle posted:

That Biden used it repeatedly, basically called him out and accused of him of multiple actionable crimes is a huge, huge, HUGE deal and pretty unprecedented. People who love to scream about liberals love of decorum uber alles should be sitting up and taking note right now, because this is a Big Deal(tm) and hopefully means they've got some serious evidence on Trump because this is libel level accusations.

A big deal to who? Like it isn't even a new breach of norms because Trump already did that. It's interesting in the way that tracking the way politicians allow themselves to speak in official statements, but trying to derive any meaning from it is pure Kremlinology. There's no indication this different rhetoric comes with any productive change.

What are Democrats doing about the people in power who tried to overthrow the last election? Is it nothing? If yes, than nothing's changed.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 6, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ElrondHubbard posted:

I think the part where you claim democrats were swept into office is where that example breaks down. They have the narrowest possible margin in the Senate and are terminally dependent on the shiftiest Democrats from the most conservative states, when there were far more palatable dems that botched much simpler races. Acting like we’re in some ideal scenario for democrats or that the party is a CCP monolith that can execute members for disobedience that simply chooses not to exercise that power is ridiculous. The answer, simple as it is, is more dems in office and more progressive, whenever possible.

This old story of qualifiers and asterisks and "ah, well, nevertheless, if it weren't for that dastardly lieberman blue dogs joe manchin joe manchin and kyrsten sinema we could have accomplished something of value" where the voters turn out in unprecedented numbers to deliver a senate majority the democrats never expected only to be told "sorry, can't do anything, try again next cycle" is precisely why voter enthusiasm will die and the existing pattern is unsustainable. You cannot repeatedly tell people "if only you vote HARDER next time it'll be different" cycle after cycle and give them nothing and expect them to keep turning out for you.

I understand that there are limitations in what can be done in the legislature when you have a slim majority and are stonewalled by a couple of refuseniks. The problem is that your voters don't really care about excuses when all you ever give them for decades are excuses while everything gets worse and worse for them. The Democrats are, unlike the Republicans, in the unenviable position of courting voter demographics that expect the Democrats to do things instead of just letting the country bleed to death.

For an example of this in microcosm, see the recent Virginia election.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYT has a pretty interesting analysis out of the most affordable cities to rent in based on the median wage and median rent. It assumes no roommates and a single person.

- Most surprising thing to me is that Seattle is relatively affordable because the median incomes are so high.

- Other surprising thing is how relatively unaffordable Detroit is. The prices are pretty low, but the median wage in Detroit is pretty low as well.

- Omaha, Louisville, Kansas City, and Albuquerque are all pretty nice cities and aren't freezing wastelands like other relatively affordable metro areas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Seems like more people should live there or move there.

- DC and SF have some of the highest rents in the country, but they also have the highest median wages. Expensive places with lower median wages like Miami, Boston, and New York are much less affordable to most people.

- Memphis is cheap, but the median wages are only slightly better than Detroit. What's up with Memphis?

- San Antonio and Boston have the fastest rising rents in the country.

- If you can get an average job, Wichita or Columbus seems like the places to go.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1479138220994670595

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 6, 2022

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1479155239672496132?s=20

Seems a bit on-the-nose as to who the target audience is for all this.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Having lived in NYC, Baltimore, DC, and New Orleans, I think using a studio is distorting the numbers.

Most of the Housing stock in New Orleans and Baltimore are attached or semi detached houses, and studio apartments are rare. If they exist; they are new build luxury.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Neurolimal posted:

In the alternate timeline where Trump won and a similar riot happed by anti-Trump protesters I wonder what today would be like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

In the alternate timeline where Trump won and a similar riot happed by anti-Trump protesters I wonder what today would be like.

Freedom Day or something else painfully patriotic.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The day Donald Trump truly became presidential

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CommieGIR posted:

There already is a Freedom Day, Patriot Day, and Honor America Days as officially recognized observances. They just aren't holidays.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What was the new national holiday established during Trump's term he made a big deal about but nobody cared? Juneteenth maybe?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In some parts of the US you have both Patriot Day and Patriots' Day

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Republicans posted:

The same but more garish

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Republicans posted:

What was the new national holiday established during Trump's term he made a big deal about but nobody cared? Juneteenth maybe?

Biden was the one who made Juneteenth a national holiday. Until they made Juneteenth a federal holiday last year, MLK day was the newest holiday. It was the first actual new holiday in about 30 years.

Trump declared his inauguration day "a National Day of Patriotic Devotion" that encouraged all Americans to take the day "in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country — and to renew the duties of Government to the people."

It was a declaration of observance and not an actual holiday, though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NYT has a pretty interesting analysis out of the most affordable cities to rent in based on the median wage and median rent. It assumes no roommates and a single person.

- Most surprising thing to me is that Seattle is relatively affordable because the median incomes are so high.

- Other surprising thing is how relatively unaffordable Detroit is. The prices are pretty low, but the median wage in Detroit is pretty low as well.

- Omaha, Louisville, Kansas City, and Albuquerque are all pretty nice cities and aren't freezing wastelands like other relatively affordable metro areas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Seems like more people should live there or move there.

- DC and SF have some of the highest rents in the country, but they also have the highest median wages. Expensive places with lower median wages like Miami, Boston, and New York are much less affordable to most people.

- Memphis is cheap, but the median wages are only slightly better than Detroit. What's up with Memphis?

- San Antonio and Boston have the fastest rising rents in the country.

- If you can get an average job, Wichita or Columbus seems like the places to go.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1479138220994670595

Detroit is Detroit Metro, or more specifically Oakland, Macomb, and the Non-Detroit parts of Wayne, which are living off the fumes still of when we were a thriving metropolis. The boomers here refuse to pay living wages or do anything to improve mass transit, but insist you be able to pay for their suburban enclave property values.

It's a loving nightmare and almost everyone under 35 is trying to get out from the Florida of the North

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Biden was the one who made Juneteenth a national holiday. Until they made Juneteenth a federal holiday last year, MLK day was the newest holiday. It was the first actual new holiday in about 30 years.

Trump declared his inauguration day "a National Day of Patriotic Devotion" that encouraged all Americans to take the day "in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country — and to renew the duties of Government to the people."

It was a declaration of observance and not an actual holiday, though.

Weird, I swear I remember him bragging about having the first new national holiday in a while. Maybe I'm conflating it with his Space Force nonsense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Republicans posted:

Weird, I swear I remember him bragging about having the first new national holiday in a while. Maybe I'm conflating it with his Space Force nonsense.

There weren't any official new holidays under Trump.

America dislikes federal holidays because they cost money. The U.S. only had 6 federally recognized holidays for most of its history.

MLK day and Juneteenth are the only new holidays created in the last 50 years.

America has a ridiculous amount (I don't know the exact number, but it is well over 50) of days of national observances. Which are holidays, but nobody gets off of work. Trump's January 17th day is still technically a nationally observed day.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is why you need an editor to do some research and fact-check for you before you decide to publish your resignation letter.

That leaves Tina Kotek and Tobias Read as the only "major" candidates left on the primary ballot. But, there are about 8 people on the ballot and Kotek/Read are both somewhat unknown, despite being the State Treasurer and House Speaker.

https://twitter.com/NickAtNews/status/1479168775601668096

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 6, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess in the light of Eric Adams's election, Kristoff thought those residency requirements were just a suggestion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neurolimal posted:

Isn't Hamilton pretty mass market? They streamed it on Disney+ and more people watched it than Black Widow.

Musical snobs used to like it, but isn't something being a big Disney hit basically the literal definition of mass market culture?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 6, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i think people get disproportionally weird about lin manuel miranda as some sort of marker of class because it's popular to say he sucks on twitter and because he's outspoken about his boring milquetoast politics

that doesn't mean he doesn't suck rear end, it's just a different kind of poo poo where people read way too much into meaningless nothing political statements. lanyard brain but for lefty podcasters and their fans

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

i think people get disproportionally weird about lin manuel miranda as some sort of marker of class because it's popular to say he sucks on twitter and because he's outspoken about his boring milquetoast politics

that doesn't mean he doesn't suck rear end, it's just a different kind of poo poo where people read way too much into meaningless nothing political statements. lanyard brain but for lefty podcasters and their fans

I mostly hate him because having black people play slave owners while just eliding slavery from the play is gross, and the raps are rap music for white people who think rap is too misogynistic. Sucks so loving bad. It’s about a tier up from KFC training videos

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

I mostly hate him because having black people play slave owners while just eliding slavery from the play is gross, and the raps are rap music for white people who think rap is too misogynistic. Sucks so loving bad. It’s about a tier up from KFC training videos

I haven't seen it, but isn't one of the gimmicks that everyone is non-white? It's not just the slaveowners, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh and the (now kinda outdated) part where going to see hamilton when it was running in new york was a marker of class because tickets were so scarce and expensive, i guess. it's weird how stupid local new york drama becomes national and international

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I haven't seen it, but isn't one of the gimmicks that everyone is non-white? It's not just the slaveowners, right?

I don’t see how this changes anything?