Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJ posted:

Set up the markers in the same way at the fourfold timer strat. You have 4 coloured markers in melee and 4 of the same colour at range. Each person is assigned a marker. If you are in melee and get the red buff, or at range and get the blue buff you switch with the person with the same colour marker as you. If your partner needs to switch obviously you switch with them. This works 100% of the time and you only have to pay attention to if you get the debuff or if your partner does.

Thanks for this. I took it into PF and we managed to make it to Fourfold numerous times before the typical person-randomly-leaving disintegration after about an hour of attempts, but I'm happy I finally tried out hard content again after so many years avoiding it. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I have come to accept that pentamelding crafting/gathering gear is the only thing that makes me feel alive.

[Edit] I don't even craft to sell things on the market board anymore.

But you gotta sell things on the marketboard to get the money to get the materia to piss away in the pentamelding!

I was very proud of my pentamelded Aesthete's crafting set from last expansion, and it was a bittersweet thing to pry all the materia out of it after I got my new 90 set melded to the point of surpassing it.

Is there any point to wildly overmelding your gathering gear or can you just get it to the appropriate breakpoints and call it a day?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And I hate to do this but I've gone back multiple pages and just can't find it. What was the Hotbar command to copy one crafter thing to another?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i believe it is /hotbar copy job bar# job bar#

where first set is what you are copying from and 2nd set is what you are copying to

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

And I hate to do this but I've gone back multiple pages and just can't find it. What was the Hotbar command to copy one crafter thing to another?

/hotbar copy job # current #

Replace "job" with the lowercase acronym of the crafting job you want to copy from, and the # with the bar number you want to copy. Repeat as necessary for all the hotbars you want to copy, and then switch to the crafting job you want to set up your hotbars on before using the macro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

/hotbar copy job # current #

Replace "job" with the lowercase acronym of the crafting job you want to copy from, and the # with the bar number you want to copy. Repeat as necessary for all the hotbars you want to copy, and then switch to the crafting job you want to set up your hotbars on before using the macro.

Oh, I had uppercase, maybe that is what I was doing wrong. Thanks again. Sorry to bombard with questions.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Vermain posted:

Thanks for this. I took it into PF and we managed to make it to Fourfold numerous times before the typical person-randomly-leaving disintegration after about an hour of attempts, but I'm happy I finally tried out hard content again after so many years avoiding it. :unsmith:

Wiping to Fourfold is very frustrating because there's no mechanical execution to it, it's just does everyone in your group have enough of a brain to distinguish a colour and read a number. In a way it's easier than the strat for the single chains because you don't need to consider other people at all, it's just look at your buff and move to the right spot. When i do it next week i don't think i'm going to stick around in groups that fail it more than once or twice.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Awesome! posted:

i believe it is /hotbar copy job bar# job bar#

where first set is what you are copying from and 2nd set is what you are copying to

replace with /chotbar for controller, that's important

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CJ posted:

Wiping to Fourfold is very frustrating because there's no mechanical execution to it, it's just does everyone in your group have enough of a brain to distinguish a colour and read a number. In a way it's easier than the strat for the single chains because you don't need to consider other people at all, it's just look at your buff and move to the right spot. When i do it next week i don't think i'm going to stick around in groups that fail it more than once or twice.

it is funny how the mechanic that is literally just "go to a spot and stay there" is apparently the hardest part of the fight for people

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

it is funny how the mechanic that is literally just "go to a spot and stay there" is apparently the hardest part of the fight for people

It's really odd to me how hard it seems to be for people to grasp. I looked it up on Reddit after seeing the term in PF, got a one paragraph description from some dude, and had it down every time we managed to hit the mechanic. Maybe it's just people getting greedy for extra DPS instead of moving back and spamming their ranged attack or something?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Awesome! posted:

Not to poo poo on dumb people, but a lot players don't know what numbers/colors mean until someone explains them. And in my experience no groups have done that.

I'm not talking about whatever you guys are, just in general as I'm running PUGs to hit 90. There's literally no information conveyed unless you ask, and most puggers don't ask or bother to tell, so I'm just running around and avoiding all the orange danger poo poo until I miss something and get one shotted.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most knowledgeable people I know do not give unsolicited advice prior to a trial or raid wipe because too many people get belligerent if they think you're telling them how to play

e: basically what I'm saying is if you don't know a mechanic, please ask because odds are one of the 3-7 people you're with will explain it. obv this may not apply if you join a savage raid in raidfinder

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 7, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barreft posted:

Not to poo poo on dumb people, but a lot players don't know what numbers/colors mean until someone explains them. And in my experience no groups have done that.

I'm not talking about whatever you guys are, just in general as I'm running PUGs to hit 90. There's literally no information conveyed unless you ask, and most puggers don't ask or bother to tell, so I'm just running around and avoiding all the orange danger poo poo until I miss something and get one shotted.

Once you get to Stormblood, the major mechanics in dungeons and storyline trials tend to be conveyed in a relatively easy-to-grasp way with the visual lexicon they build up (stack markers, gaze markers, etc.). I will say that it might be good for them to have better reference material in-game for them, though, since it can be pretty easy to race through the MSQ doing specific dungeons only once and then being blindsided when a mechanic pops up again after a long absence.

For my own part, I know some people prefer trying to figure out mechanics blind, even on outdated content, so I've taken to only offering advice if we wipe or if they specifically ask.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

Most knowledgeable people I know do not give unsolicited advice prior to a trial or raid wipe because too many people get belligerent if they think you're telling them how to play

Good thing I was only talking about PUGs getting to 90. e: I read that wrong

doesn't matter anyways, 1k queue, some day I'll be able to play after work again

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 7, 2022

derra
Dec 29, 2012

FeatherFloat posted:

But you gotta sell things on the marketboard to get the money to get the materia to piss away in the pentamelding!

I was very proud of my pentamelded Aesthete's crafting set from last expansion, and it was a bittersweet thing to pry all the materia out of it after I got my new 90 set melded to the point of surpassing it.

Is there any point to wildly overmelding your gathering gear or can you just get it to the appropriate breakpoints and call it a day?

I just made a bunch of pancakes and desserts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vermain posted:

For my own part, I know some people prefer trying to figure out mechanics blind, even on outdated content, so I've taken to only offering advice if we wipe or if they specifically ask.

Figuring stuff out is definitely part of the fun of running a new dungeon/trial, so I'm always a little annoyed when someone explains something unprompted. I've even had other people thanking me for not explaining things.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Clarste posted:

Figuring stuff out is definitely part of the fun of running a new dungeon/trial, so I'm always a little annoyed when someone explains something unprompted. I've even had other people thanking me for not explaining things.

When Skalla was new (and even now if I get it and see we have a newbie), I would ask that no one spoil the gimmick on The Old One.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
on the other hand I had some poor RDM die at least 10 times during p4. I feel like that's probably not very fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recommend anyone who is capable of doing savage try to do extreme trials blind. They're generally easy enough you can knock them out in a night with your static, and it's a lot of fun to try to figure out.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm in the weird zone where I can only play an hour or two a day thanks to the queue, so yeah wiping after 60 minutes in a random just ain't a good use of my time right now.

But the game released almost a month to the day, so this will just be the usual going on

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
We died so much on fourfold blind because most of us could not believe it was that simple.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Clarste posted:

last time i did ridorana someone explained everything about mathbot while we were doing the trash and i was nerd raging out. thats one of the coolest weirdest fights in the game to do blind.

i used to always say to watch out for the knockback at the beginning of shinryu but now i dont say a word and just laugh when 6/8 people get blown off. i even arms length it so i dont run over and give it away.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

Big same. Mechanics spoilers are as bad as story spoilers.

Also, not explaining things immediately to newbies and letting them wipe once or twice sends the message that wiping isn't that big a deal. It's all part of the fun!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
that's all well and good until they wipe in a group that will go absolutely unhinged if they wipe, because not everyone is gracious about it.

My personal rule is to ask if people want mechanics explanations and abide by that, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah just wipe and explain things afterwards. People get way too upset about it.

I got put into a level 89 trial a little while ago that had already gone 18 minutes without a clear. Someone voted abandon and I was like "hey come on I just got here" and then we talked out mechanics for those who were new and beat it on the next attempt.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah just wipe and explain things afterwards. People get way too upset about it.

I got put into a level 89 trial a little while ago that had already gone 18 minutes without a clear. Someone voted abandon and I was like "hey come on I just got here" and then we talked out mechanics for those who were new and beat it on the next attempt.

We need more of you

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
TBH, half the time I probably need to wipe to the mechanic first (or get hit for 80% of HP) before I actually get it. Reading about it often doesn't help.
<=== not very good at this game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Corbeau posted:

We died so much on fourfold blind because most of us could not believe it was that simple.

It's so... punitive in its simplicity. Find your spot, plant, and wait. But the waiting is excruciating for some reason and I couldn't even begin to put my finger on why.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

OddObserver posted:

TBH, half the time I probably need to wipe to the mechanic first (or get hit for 80% of HP) before I actually get it. Reading about it often doesn't help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure that is necessarily not being good. Some people do a lot better with experience over reading and vice-versa.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

It's so... punitive in its simplicity. Find your spot, plant, and wait. But the waiting is excruciating for some reason and I couldn't even begin to put my finger on why.

The PF starts for that are fine but the fact that as soon as anyone messes up and stands in the wrong spot people's brains fuckin' break and you watch them just run back in forth in a spot that will kill everybody when there's an empty corner just... right there.

You could pure yolo that mechanic and it bet it'd work out 4/5 pulls at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure that is necessarily not being good. Some people do a lot better with experience over reading and vice-versa.

Honestly it usually wastes more time explaining something than getting hit once and learning it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleared P1S tonight and made out like a bandit (92 and 94 on two of the coffers). Really enjoy the fight, it has some mechanics that are kind of cerebral for a first fight in a tier, usually they're alot simpler in but I don't think that's a bad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Random thought but:

What weapon has the best unsheathing animation in the game? My favorite is probably the Zantetsuken variations or Seiryu Dark Knight weapon but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqU8n_h4w4&t=156s

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mogweapons because they play the comedy sound effect in your very serious cutscenes

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Random thought but:

What weapon has the best unsheathing animation in the game? My favorite is probably the Zantetsuken variations or Seiryu Dark Knight weapon but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

Speaking on unsheathing, they gave every class a new unsheathing animation for cutscenes, can it be accessed outside of those?

And a lot of the Magitek weapons do cool stuff when unsheathed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It bugs the hell out of me we don't have a Malicious Mogscythe.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

OddObserver posted:

TBH, half the time I probably need to wipe to the mechanic first four or five times (or get hit for 80% of HP) before I actually get it. Reading about it often doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
People have posted a few crafting rotations, thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Stats required are 3180 craftsmanship, 3038 control, 524 CP, and HQ Tsai tou Vounou food. This is actually almost achievable with only rank 8 ShB materia and no overmelds (you'll need three rank 10 control materia).

This is the 70 durability rotation. It requires two HQ precrafts for 100% HQ. I won't post the spammy macro text itself here as Teamcraft will generate macros with the little "XIV" marked button.
https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator/35020/34800/vUk5OxLoRxeoM8EWE48K

Here is my 35 durability rotation.
https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator/36234/34898/khTcijzaV1BnSxl0pFYc

Love to hear of any improvements. I keep wanting a use case for the new Basic-Standard-Advanced combo, but every time I find a way to optimize out of it.