Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"élites"

Article dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that critic seems the type to refer to the general public as "stakeholders"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the answer is gulags

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rodney The Yam II posted:

A steel framed cargo bike with off-road tires would be infinitely more useful

A buddy and myself came up with an incredibly simple bike cargo trailer that performs REALLY WELL out of an old bike. Works with any bike but the lighter the better. I used an old 'dale that had a broken derailleur hanger. One time I bought a bunch of poo poo from the auto parts store including a new battery for my van and put it all in the trailer, didn't even have to bother making sure the weight was evenly distributed, just threw it all in on one side and rode home in traffic.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Let’s stop making this climate change mistake
https://money.yahoo.com/lets-stop-making-this-climate-change-mistake-151934749.html

quote:

These characterizations are not quite right—and overstating the consequences of a warming climate may already be undermining efforts to take needed action. A warming climate is undoubtedly changing the planet in ways dangerous to humans and other living things. But the Earth isn’t on fire, and the planet itself is not endangered. What we’re damaging is our own habitat, and those of other species. The planet will carry on one way or another.

Welcome to 2019 bitch

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TehSaurus posted:

Is it probe worthy to say that what we need is the boondock saints but for climate crimes? Maybe swap the extrajudicial killings for like hugs or antidepressants.

I dunno, try it.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

petit choux posted:

A buddy and myself came up with an incredibly simple bike cargo trailer that performs REALLY WELL out of an old bike. Works with any bike but the lighter the better. I used an old 'dale that had a broken derailleur hanger. One time I bought a bunch of poo poo from the auto parts store including a new battery for my van and put it all in the trailer, didn't even have to bother making sure the weight was evenly distributed, just threw it all in on one side and rode home in traffic.

Hell yeah, I'd love to hear more about this. I've used a few bike trailers that look something like this, and for being so long they work surprisingly well. It's definitely satisfying to pull something bulky by bike.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the amount of energy required to melt ice is not insignificant

theres a whole bunch of it stored in the atmosphere ready to do the job

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol I'd forgotten about this moment

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1475163541162369024

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lmao why the qualifier? Experts say that civil disobedience is bad!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

:cheers: hell yea

All my bikes are from the 1970s and I probably will never get a new one because the old ones (with old parts) are absolute workhorses that can be maintained with minimal replacement parts, even if they aren't as fast or well tuned as modern bikes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that critic seems the type to refer to the general public as "stakeholders"

Nature's customers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lol she deleted it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

take_it_slow posted:

Hell yeah, I'd love to hear more about this. I've used a few bike trailers that look something like this, and for being so long they work surprisingly well. It's definitely satisfying to pull something bulky by bike.

Happy to explain. I've done it a couple times and once with one of those push scooters that have like 20" wheels, and I mounted a crate on the platform. Let me describe it for you since an old girlfriend said it was going to be my only contribution in life because I'm such a loser.

This assumes you have some basic bike knowledge and tools including a headset wrench. Also a spare QR front hub, doesn't need to work or be very good, and a couple U-bolts. And a spare fork, preferably a stout mountain bike fork. Does not need to be a nice one and if you can scavenge one all the better. Bike shops usually have a few broken frames and so forth lying around so maybe they can help you. You are going to need a bike to pull it, and that bike will need a sturdy rear rack. And some hose clamps. And remember, making something like this the first one is always going to be a bit of a prototype and may stand a little refinement.

Get an abandoned bike. The lighter the better, but better not to destroy a good working bike for it. Like I said, a decent bike with a broken derailleur hanger is a nice way to go but you can use anything in working condition. Has to be straight. Remove all parts including the BB, everything.

Take the fork and cut the fork blades off at the crown. You will have a head tube attached to a crown and essentially the crown will have a couple hollow ovals at the bottom where you cut off the blades.

Take the cut-down fork and re-install it in the head tube upside-down. Now the places where you cut off the blades or whatever you call them will be essentially a couple hollow oval tubes or something like that, facing up, sliced off so that you can take the hub, lay it on those oval shaped holes and with any luck the flanges will rest in the holes somewhat. Use the U-bolts (or some comparable clamping mechanism but I don't recommend hose clamps as they are too weak) one on each side to clamp the hub onto it permanently. This is half of your trailer hitch.

Take a solid bike, like a steel mountain bike or something solid, with a rear rack. Take the aforementioned second fork, and use hose clamps to affix it to the rack so that the dropouts are a few inches back from the rear end of the rack. This is the other half of your trailer hitch.

Use the skewer to clamp the hub on the front of the trailer to those dropouts and that's most of it right there. Put the rear wheel back on the trailer, preferably removing the freewheel, and mount whatever carrying hardware you like on it. I scavenged a couple plastic racks from a bakery and secured them to the frame and then put rear panniers on those, on each side. But you can use anything you like. One thing I might advise is that every part securing the trailer to your bike, including the rear rack, the spare fork, and the frame of your trailer, need to minimize flexing or bending, and should all be stout and stiff. If they are then all of the horizontal and vertical movement of the trailer comes down to the fulcrum that is the hub and headset on your trailer's front and they give you greater control over the trailer than any 2-wheeler. If you use a flimsy fork for your trailer hitch you'll increase the likelihood of fishtailing.

I could pull this at near any speed, and it doesn't have that problem of wanting to fall over, it basically stands (or falls) with the bike. Has a decent turning radius, and can carry plenty of weight. Never fishtailed on me. Ever. I could carry a few bags of groceries with it and frequently did back then. I once carried a car battery on one side and nothing on the other and it still performed perfectly.

This is a very rough sketch of how it's done, but should be pretty easy to get the general idea. And of course, since I tried making trailers several times I kind of worked out a couple bugs and you may need to as well, but essentially that's it. It's an incredibly simple design and worked really well for me. The only problem with it is it doesn't impress girls, who still require cars. Hopefully that will change some day, though it really doesn't matter too much anymore.

A former buddy of mine back then gave me the idea to use a headset this way, which was the missing piece I needed, and it's the real strong point of this design. He was one of those extremely creative bike mechanics you used to find now and then, and he just tossed this idea out there like it was nothing, but it was everything to me at the time. And so I'd give this seriously winning design a name: the Paul.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol she deleted it.

lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

petit choux posted:

Happy to explain. I've done it a couple times and once with one of those push scooters that have like 20" wheels, and I mounted a crate on the platform. Let me describe it for you since an old girlfriend said it was going to be my only contribution in life because I'm such a loser.

This assumes you have some basic bike knowledge and tools including a headset wrench. Also a spare QR front hub, doesn't need to work or be very good, and a couple U-bolts. And a spare fork, preferably a stout mountain bike fork. Does not need to be a nice one and if you can scavenge one all the better. Bike shops usually have a few broken frames and so forth lying around so maybe they can help you. You are going to need a bike to pull it, and that bike will need a sturdy rear rack. And some hose clamps. And remember, making something like this the first one is always going to be a bit of a prototype and may stand a little refinement.

Get an abandoned bike. The lighter the better, but better not to destroy a good working bike for it. Like I said, a decent bike with a broken derailleur hanger is a nice way to go but you can use anything in working condition. Has to be straight. Remove all parts including the BB, everything.

Take the fork and cut the fork blades off at the crown. You will have a head tube attached to a crown and essentially the crown will have a couple hollow ovals at the bottom where you cut off the blades.

Take the cut-down fork and re-install it in the head tube upside-down. Now the places where you cut off the blades or whatever you call them will be essentially a couple hollow oval tubes or something like that, facing up, sliced off so that you can take the hub, lay it on those oval shaped holes and with any luck the flanges will rest in the holes somewhat. Use the U-bolts (or some comparable clamping mechanism but I don't recommend hose clamps as they are too weak) one on each side to clamp the hub onto it permanently. This is half of your trailer hitch.

Take a solid bike, like a steel mountain bike or something solid, with a rear rack. Take the aforementioned second fork, and use hose clamps to affix it to the rack so that the dropouts are a few inches back from the rear end of the rack. This is the other half of your trailer hitch.

Use the skewer to clamp the hub on the front of the trailer to those dropouts and that's most of it right there. Put the rear wheel back on the trailer, preferably removing the freewheel, and mount whatever carrying hardware you like on it. I scavenged a couple plastic racks from a bakery and secured them to the frame and then put rear panniers on those, on each side. But you can use anything you like. One thing I might advise is that every part securing the trailer to your bike, including the rear rack, the spare fork, and the frame of your trailer, need to minimize flexing or bending, and should all be stout and stiff. If they are then all of the horizontal and vertical movement of the trailer comes down to the fulcrum that is the hub and headset on your trailer's front and they give you greater control over the trailer than any 2-wheeler. If you use a flimsy fork for your trailer hitch you'll increase the likelihood of fishtailing.

I could pull this at near any speed, and it doesn't have that problem of wanting to fall over, it basically stands (or falls) with the bike. Has a decent turning radius, and can carry plenty of weight. Never fishtailed on me. Ever. I could carry a few bags of groceries with it and frequently did back then. I once carried a car battery on one side and nothing on the other and it still performed perfectly.

This is a very rough sketch of how it's done, but should be pretty easy to get the general idea. And of course, since I tried making trailers several times I kind of worked out a couple bugs and you may need to as well, but essentially that's it. It's an incredibly simple design and worked really well for me. The only problem with it is it doesn't impress girls, who still require cars. Hopefully that will change some day, though it really doesn't matter too much anymore.

A former buddy of mine back then gave me the idea to use a headset this way, which was the missing piece I needed, and it's the real strong point of this design. He was one of those extremely creative bike mechanics you used to find now and then, and he just tossed this idea out there like it was nothing, but it was everything to me at the time. And so I'd give this seriously winning design a name: the Paul.

[already crying] can you just come over and do it for me?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

Is it probe worthy to say that what we need is the boondock saints but for climate crimes? Maybe swap the extrajudicial killings for like hugs or antidepressants.

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1475842948709376000

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Saurus

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fanfic insert posted:

theres a whole bunch of it stored in the atmosphere ready to do the job

....so....melt ice... to take heat out of the atmosphere....

sounds like there's some money to be made here

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TehSaurus posted:

Back in the 90s I had visions of that starting to crystallize in my head when my enviro buddies talked some sense into me. And lacking the courage of my convictions I decided to take the doctors' approach, first do no harm. Now that I've seen, thanks to Trump, what a man without courage or convictions can accomplish I almost regret this decision.

petit choux has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Jan 7, 2022

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks for the quick response - that's very cool, and does sound very simple. I'll definitely get it a try once I can source all the parts. Cheers!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

take_it_slow posted:

Thanks for the quick response - that's very cool, and does sound very simple. I'll definitely get it a try once I can source all the parts. Cheers!

I can't emphasize how great this design is. Done well, it's like adding an extension to the rear of your bike. It performs much like a "Bob" trailer, hence the name.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol at "he's just a broadcaster"

What the gently caress are you then my guy?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Anyway I'm probably gonna get an SUV or truck soon. The window for mitigation has long been blown and those are the only vehicles that'll let me escape floods, bum roads, and major snow events. As an olive branch I promise to drive around and help people who are stranded or stuck.

https://twitter.com/troylf/status/1479176707903041541

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Wisest Moron posted:

Lol at "he's just a broadcaster"

What the gently caress are you then my guy?

just asking questions

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Either doesn't have or didn't turn on 4WD, you can see the front tires not doing anything. Actually it's really odd that he apparently only has RWD? What's even going on here?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Either doesn't have or didn't turn on 4WD, you can see the front tires not doing anything. Actually it's really odd that he apparently only has RWD? What's even going on here?

There are plenty of RWD trucks but also the real answer is that this idiot doesn't have snow tires.

We have a RWD sedan that's usually on snow tires in the winter and an AWD crossover that we leave on all-seasons and the sedan is waaaaaay more capable in snow.

edit- also love that guy just flooring it and turning the snow under his drive wheel into loving ice lol

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Jan 7, 2022

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Do you think it's okay to just wind people up? These are people who are upset you loving bitch! They're UPSET and you think it's OKAY?!?!?!!?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

There are plenty of RWD trucks but also the real answer is that this idiot doesn't have snow tires.

What's the logic there? I thought RWD was typically reserved for sports cars and the like? To my knowledge RWD is famously horrible for driving on snow or any slick road.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's the logic there? I thought RWD was typically reserved for sports cars and the like? To my knowledge RWD is famously horrible for driving on snow or any slick road.

Breaking: most trucks are rwd

Including mine. And what's good in these conditions is to put something in the bed to give it more weight.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm learning so much.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm learning so much.

Sure I'll help you with your bicycle, sweetie. What's for dinner?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm learning so much.

Cars won't save you PMJ you fell for industry rugged survivalist propaganda

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chicken, rice, and beans. Sliced avocado with some white onion and cilantro for the salad.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Cars won't save you PMJ you fell for industry rugged survivalist propaganda

I have a knife, flint, and paracord. Basically unstoppable.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Chicken, rice, and beans. Sliced avocado with some white onion and cilantro for the salad.

doritos and mountain dew

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's a bit more complex than that. Ability to drive on snow has far more to do with tires that drivetrain layout but also a fair bit to do with vehicle balance and design.

Volvo made rwd cars that were designed for the swedish snow for over half a century. The Volvo 240 performs quite well in the snow (and off-road) despite being a rwd compact (by today's standards) car.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Before the 1980s, the majority of vehicles were RWD. This has stayed true with trucks, because since a truck is intended to carry loads, most of the weight is therefore in the back, and thus over the rear wheels.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
0.000% of suburban pickups have ever carried a load in the bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1479516935280898053