Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shows like It’s Always Sunny and Bojack Horseman have had main characters use slurs even recently, so it’s more about writing that well, instead of just doing it to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do think part of IAS's secret is everyone (well, nearly everyone) enjoys transgressive humour at least a little bit and the show gets away with making problematic jokes even when it's not really satire just by having it come from characters already established as being extremely bad and stupid, so it provides a way for progressive viewers to enjoy the spectacle of someone saying a no-no word or doing a racism without the guilt of having endorsed harmful content

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 7, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sunny's also got a great mix of the gang's targets being innocent or just as bad as them. Very land of contrasts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm genuinely curious how it's managed to keep enough of an audience to survive over the years. As objectively as possible, it became incredibly bad by this time (s13+)to the point where it's comparable with notorious poo poo like those parody "_____ Movie" films but as I wrote that I realized there were quite a few of those movies and that there must be a large segment of people with terribly low standards for comedy.

Thinking of how many mediocre to good comedy shows (all superior to bad Simpsons) that came and went through the bad Simpsons years and it's like yeah, TV execs and the industry can really be baffling and disappointing.

I'm glad we have much wider access and people producing shows these days that bemoaning the fall of the Simpsons is more of a fun distraction than a sincere need to vent.

A lot makes sense, as said, when you realise a lot of the audience doesn't really watch these so much as has it on in the background while they scroll on their phones and hear familiar voices and sounds and occasionally catch a jokoid or two that have the shape of something they know they're supposed to laugh at.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I didn't know It's Always Sunny and Bojack Horseman were still on. I actually had a friendship end, unexpectedly and explosively, because I didn't like IASIP. In hindsight, I probably should have known that the ex-friend was a lunatic before then, but oh well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't know It's Always Sunny and Bojack Horseman were still on. I actually had a friendship end, unexpectedly and explosively, because I didn't like IASIP. In hindsight, I probably should have known that the ex-friend was a lunatic before then, but oh well.

Bojack is over. That's a really strange reason for a friendship to end, but usually, something like that means you're dodging a bullet.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I respectfully request details.
I really enjoy Always Sunny but holy hell, it's just a show. Did the ex-friend make it their personality or like, did they think your dislike was indicative of a character flaw or some bullshit?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You Are A Elf posted:

Both of these are top tier Roger moments. Also, this:

https://i.imgur.com/6cOd1Hb.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoeBAHk8Qm4

This is missing the immediate aftermath, where Stan and Roger are sitting on the curb talking, and Roger asks if the guy is OK. Stan just looks at him for a while and then says "NO". End of episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Bojack is over. That's a really strange reason for a friendship to end, but usually, something like that means you're dodging a bullet.

Das Boo posted:

I respectfully request details.
I really enjoy Always Sunny but holy hell, it's just a show. Did the ex-friend make it their personality or like, did they think your dislike was indicative of a character flaw or some bullshit?

What I'm pretty sure happened is that she interpreted my dislike of the show as me thinking that I was too good for the show & judging its fans. She just kind of cut me off abruptly and I heard from mutual friends that she found me judgemental. :shrug:

The fact that she's from Philadelphia and I'm not probably didn't help. I do remember her saying that I probably wouldn't get the Philly references.

edit:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoeBAHk8Qm4

This is missing the immediate aftermath, where Stan and Roger are sitting on the curb talking, and Roger asks if the guy is OK. Stan just looks at him for a while and then says "NO". End of episode.

Cops & Roger has its own Wikipedia page, which is where I learned that Emily VanDerWerff of The A.V. Club -- a writer who liked the Reginald/Hayley B-plot more than the Roger cop A-plot they were both good imho, just saying -- gave the episode a C. :psypop:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 7, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

bobjr posted:

Shows like It’s Always Sunny and Bojack Horseman have had main characters use slurs even recently, so it’s more about writing that well, instead of just doing it to do it.

They got a load of poo poo for blackface a few years ago. Even though it was expressly pointing out how awful and offensive it was at every opportunity.

30 rock's live episode where Jon Hamm is in blackface (again, to point out how awful and offensive it was in a comedic way) has also been pulled from streaming services last I checked.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
there was an episode with jenna in blackface too did they pull that

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

They got a load of poo poo for blackface a few years ago. Even though it was expressly pointing out how awful and offensive it was at every opportunity.

30 rock's live episode where Jon Hamm is in blackface (again, to point out how awful and offensive it was in a comedic way) has also been pulled from streaming services last I checked.

This just reminded me of the Mad Men episode where (spoiling just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet) Roger Sterling did a blackface routine while singing "My Old Kentucky Home" and it managed to make even Don Draper uncomfortable. And I'm pretty sure that hasn't been pulled from any streaming services.

mycophobia posted:

there was an episode with jenna in blackface too did they pull that

Oh yeah, I remember that. Pretty sure that was when Tracy and Jenna tried to switch places, so Jenna did blackface and Tracy attempted "whiteface". It was hysterical, which means several loud people on the internet were very offended.

e: to answer your question, yeah, I think there were a couple 30 Rock episodes using blackface gags and they were pulled from streaming.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 7, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No Dignity posted:

I do think part of IAS's secret is everyone (well, nearly everyone) enjoys transgressive humour at least a little bit and the show gets away with making problematic jokes even when it's not really satire just by having it come from characters already established as being extremely bad and stupid, so it provides a way for progressive viewers to enjoy the spectacle of someone saying a no-no word or doing a racism without the guilt of having endorsed harmful content

This is how Cumtown gets away with it. You might think "what if a Chinese man was disabled" is an offensive bit but then you remember that the person doing it has a little dick, so it's punching up.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DizzyBum posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that. Pretty sure that was when Tracy and Jenna tried to switch places, so Jenna did blackface and Tracy attempted "whiteface". It was hysterical, which means several loud people on the internet were very offended.

there was also the time when Jenna said she was going to dress up as "a black swan" for halloween or something and ends up dressing up as black NFL player Lynn Swann.

Also the trans/genderfluid stuff about Will Forte's character was not great, even at the time

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

If we're comparing strange reasons for friendships to end, I lost a friendship because I was like "wtf are you on about" at a person insisting that anyone having a go at Paula Deen for shilling diabetes medicine and being a massive racist were fat shaming her. She also got really, really angry at the suggestion that Jeanette Goldstein could play Vasquez and John Connor's foster mother.

No, I don't understand either.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Riptor posted:

Also the trans/genderfluid stuff about Will Forte's character was not great, even at the time

I forgot about that stuff, I'll have to go back and see what that was.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

DizzyBum posted:

This just reminded me of the Mad Men episode where (spoiling just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet) Roger Sterling did a blackface routine while singing "My Old Kentucky Home" and it managed to make even Don Draper uncomfortable. And I'm pretty sure that hasn't been pulled from any streaming services.

John Slattery had to get in costume with full blackface on, then drive to the location they were shooting and recalled being humiliated and uncomfortable when he had to walk passed several black security guards and also a black toll booth operator.

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

owned lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Simpsons_Titles/status/1481107324391411712

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

John Slattery had to get in costume with full blackface on, then drive to the location they were shooting and recalled being humiliated and uncomfortable when he had to walk passed several black security guards and also a black toll booth operator.

lol

holy poo poo :lol:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

edogawa rando posted:

If we're comparing strange reasons for friendships to end, I lost a friendship because I was like "wtf are you on about" at a person insisting that anyone having a go at Paula Deen for shilling diabetes medicine and being a massive racist were fat shaming her. She also got really, really angry at the suggestion that Jeanette Goldstein could play Vasquez and John Connor's foster mother.

No, I don't understand either.

I mean Goldstein did wear brownface to play Vasquez. It definitely wouldn't fly today

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Party Boat posted:

I mean Goldstein did wear brownface to play Vasquez. It definitely wouldn't fly today

She has a Russian, Morrocan and Brazillian background so meh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sure, I'm not getting up in arms about it or anything, by the standards of the time it's not remarkable at all. But it's not a choice you'd make if you were making Aliens today

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Don't make me think about Aliens without Goldstein right before bedtime.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think the character have worked if she was a badass marine named Goldstein.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Party Boat posted:

Sure, I'm not getting up in arms about it or anything, by the standards of the time it's not remarkable at all. But it's not a choice you'd make if you were making Aliens today

In fairness I don't think a 61 year old Jenette Goldstein would even be cast as Vasquez if they were making Aliens today.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 12, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's tactical brownface. It raised her camo index by 5%.

https://youtu.be/h3apEziFbEs

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

What does it say about new Simpsons that I legit thought this was an actual episode?

It's like the same game we play with episode synopsis except with episode titles. "Wait, is this legit??"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/benhugh26422354/status/1482068933570179075?s=21

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally. Lars Ulrich reveals himself as the Simpsons Ninja Pervert.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'd like to reiterate a previous statement: I wonder what it's like being this guy

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/kothscreens/status/1482213239823818752?s=21

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Why does the ninja guy's collage of Simpsons women have over four thousand likes. I'm guessing he's a meme at this point.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You know what? Yokel Chords surprised me for good for how late it was.

I'm a sucker for animation effort/experimentation and musical parody though.

The Krusty "Joker" like was bad though, and calling the kid "Incest" wasn't subtle at all.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

We’re all Hank Hill in this thread.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I'm seeing double here; 800 episodes!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Why does the ninja guy's collage of Simpsons women have over four thousand likes. I'm guessing he's a meme at this point.

The commenters are being pretty wholesome but also, lol

https://twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1482073551855394824?t=Wzwm0TeWHvPKrkakLkN7Bg&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Are there any post season 10 eps that would be considered excellent or very good? I rewatched the KOTH ep where Hank works at an organic food store and for a season 12 ep it is fantastic, including the “we ask them politely but firmly to leave” line. Not a contender for all time best but a strong return to form, especially as I let Hulu autoplay the next episode is a Judge bad take where a new school counselor is very liberal and wrong about minorities.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Are there any post season 10 eps that would be considered excellent or very good?

What about New Kids on the Blecch? I don't know how critics felt about it, but I enjoyed it a lot. That said, I've only seen it once or twice, and I was 13 when it first aired.

quote:

I rewatched the KOTH ep where Hank works at an organic food store and for a season 12 ep it is fantastic, including the “we ask them politely but firmly to leave” line. Not a contender for all time best but a strong return to form, especially as I let Hulu autoplay the next episode is a Judge bad take where a new school counselor is very liberal and wrong about minorities.

American Dad is the only show I can think of that has ever had more than the occasional awesome post-season 10 episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Trilogy of Error is pretty good