Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
don't worry the tesla tube has been such a dumpster fire that the county has decided to ... approve even more tesla tubes

also lol @ one of the comments on that article:

quote:

Tesla EVs in the Loop tunnels are actually more efficient than rail, particularly since they don’t have to keep accelerating and then braking, then accelerating then braking at each and every station unlike an inefficient subway.

This is also why the EVs are far faster – they don’t have to stop at every one of the 20 stations between your departure and destination. They go straight there at high speed.

:shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

don't worry the tesla tube has been such a dumpster fire that the county has decided to ... approve even more tesla tubes

That's so wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like does this dude think subway trains carry a single person at a time?

Will the stupid tunnels have direct point to point connections between every possible place you'd ever want to go?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

Like does this dude think

no.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

Reminder that Musk's original impetus for this whole thing was that he hated having to drive on regular people roads between his house and the airport and wanted his own personal stonecutters tunnel. Like it's not even a cool reason it's just pathetic all the way down.

Also his family owned an emerald mine staffed by apartheid labor, totally different.

it’s Cartman buying the amusement park so his friends couldn’t go there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's honestly kinda amazing because I can sort of see where this stupid-rear end logic comes from. If your brain is totally convinced you're the only valid person in the world and is totally incapable of thinking in any other way than the first-person subjective case, it makes complete sense. Obviously a single EV stopping at one point is more efficient than a train stopping at 20 different points on the way if you are the only person in the universe. Sure, the EV would also have to stop 20 different times to reach those different points if you were trying to replace the train with the EV, but you personally don't want to go there, so those points might as well not exist.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Shame Boy posted:

It's honestly kinda amazing because I can sort of see where this stupid-rear end logic comes from. If your brain is totally convinced you're the only valid person in the world and is totally incapable of thinking in any other way than the first-person subjective case, it makes complete sense. Obviously a single EV stopping at one point is more efficient than a train stopping at 20 different points on the way if you are the only person in the universe. Sure, the EV would also have to stop 20 different times to reach those different points if you were trying to replace the train with the EV, but you personally don't want to go there, so those points might as well not exist.

Would love to ask them how they expect a wheelchair user to utilize this method of transit.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

me as my flaming car is trapped in tunnel not big enough to open the doors and let me out: what is this, the local?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Electric wheelchairs that fit the tracks obviously

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shame Boy posted:

Like does this dude think subway trains carry a single person at a time?

Will the stupid tunnels have direct point to point connections between every possible place you'd ever want to go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42qmFHNM-M

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Electric wheelchairs that fit the tracks obviously

Oooh, that's a fun idea.

Better yet, hold a golf cart convention in the tunnels. Invite all of the Villages to Las Vegas with their golf carts, put a big banner up that directs them to the free tunnel party (golf carts only), then have them take turns telling the cops "gently caress off, private property."

Then roll a wiley coyote boulder in front of the tunnel.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

That's so wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start lmao

I don't think you can unfuck a brain that far gone

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Would love to ask them how they expect a wheelchair user to utilize this method of transit.

I think if I were to ask them that the response would send me into an extremely violent rage and I’m not a violent person

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wait how can you avoid the 20 stations in between if other incredibly self important drivers want to stop there? Do you have an individual tunnel for each car?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait how can you avoid the 20 stations in between if other incredibly self important drivers want to stop there? Do you have an individual tunnel for each car?

Getting someone like that to think about the fact that other people have needs too is a bit unrealistic.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Like I said, it makes perfect sense if you are literally the only being in existence.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Elon Musk is what would happen if a child had access to money and a confusing amount of deference paid to them.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Elon Musk is what would happen if a child had access to money and a confusing amount of deference paid to them.

It's good ya sent the entire SEC to the cornfield, Elon! It's real good! Everyone clap for Elon!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's good ya sent the entire SEC to the cornfield, Elon! It's real good! Everyone clap for Elon!

gently caress that works too well, now it's all I'll think about whenever Musk comes up

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Professor Shark posted:

monarchy making a comeback

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

They have off ramps, duh.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Zvahl posted:

monarchy making a comeback

Oh to be king of a dying planet. gently caress the losers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

me as my flaming car is trapped in tunnel not big enough to open the doors and let me out: what is this, the local?

There's precedent, in a 2.6km long tunnel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salang_Tunnel_fire

quote:

According to Soviet Army records, on 3 November 1982, two military convoys (2211 and 2212) collided in the Salang tunnel causing a traffic jam. There were no fires or explosions.

quote:

56 to 64 Soviet soldiers and 112 Afghan people were killed by carbon monoxide emitted by idling engines. US military analysts placed the casualty figure at 100 to 200 Soviet and Afghan soldiers. Some burned to death; others were killed by smoke and by carbon monoxide escaping from vehicles whose drivers kept their engines idling to stay warm in the freezing cold. As many as 700 Soviet troops and 2,000 Afghan soldiers and civilians may have died.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

canyoneer posted:

There's precedent, in a 2.6km long tunnel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salang_Tunnel_fire

Victims of communism, all.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zamujasa posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgantown_Personal_Rapid_Transit
literally already exists. PRT's already do this!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gorson posted:

I'm about average claustrophobic but just looking at that picture makes me really uncomfortable. A fire in that would be like a fire in a submarine.

Good thing lithium ion batteries aren't flammable, unlike gasoline.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

it says here inflammable, that means they are safe, right?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

duz posted:

it says here inflammable, that means they are safe, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Stop worrying about fires, as has been mentioned, they have a perfectly good for suppression system in the tunnels: running out of oxygen. Can't have a fire without oxygen, so there's no problem!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Stop worrying about fires, as has been mentioned, they have a perfectly good for suppression system in the tunnels: running out of oxygen. Can't have a fire without oxygen, so there's no problem!

I know you're joking, but I actually don't know whether you're joking about everyone dying from suffocation, or the fact that lithium battery fires don't actually need oxygen.

Or both.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thanatosian posted:

I know you're joking, but I actually don't know whether you're joking about everyone dying from suffocation, or the fact that lithium battery fires don't actually need oxygen.

Or both.

Whoah, news to me

They have the oxygen in them I take it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I bet if you put a dry herb vape over an exhaust vent from the hyper loop crematorium you can extract so much CBD

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Whoah, news to me

Yup. My understanding is you have to get their temperature down to put them out, and even submerging them in water doesn't necessarily do enough.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1271084

I think someone was experimenting with graphene or something for doing it...?

Anyway, that's why they don't allow lithium ion batteries in checked luggage.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I bet if you put a dry herb vape over an exhaust vent from the hyper loop crematorium you can extract so much CBD

does CBD stand for combustable bazingas dying

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't worry, the tunnel is so narrow you can't open the doors to get out anyway.

Also, no ventilation, so you suffocate before you burn.

Don't worry, lithium batteries are highly oxidising, so the lack of ventilation won't be a problem!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

does CBD stand for combustable bazingas dying

no it stands for Cock And Ball Destroyer, smoking weed makes your dick smaller

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

don't worry nothing ever goes wrong in tunnels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEEUPjqu-s&t=3701s

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

don't worry nothing ever goes wrong in tunnels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBEEUPjqu-s&t=3701s
it sure doesn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjyuLqLjNuo&t=1500s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgu07xhdHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WhhRshZCg

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

petit choux posted:

Whoah, news to me

It's more that the "fire" is actually the battery getting rid of its stored energy as fast as it can. So where gasoline would only burn where it's exposed to air or when it gets atomized or whatever, a lithium ion battery is more than happy to short out internally and dump all its energy at once into itself until it explodes into white hot shrapnel, no oxygen needed. You might have seen that surveillance video of that vape guy having a single cell short and go off in his pocket and it kinda looks like a rocket engine or firework or something? A Tesla has over seven thousand of those same cells, all packed tightly together.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Remember when one of the big Tesla batteries caught fire on a container ship and it took 3 days to extinguish lol

https://www.ft.com/content/8c9c3d50-98a3-4cdf-907f-901f8c328b90