Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was extremely disappointed that a Triple Triad only playthrough wasn't possible--the way I'd understood it when it first came out, by "you can challenge anyone to Triple Triad" I thought it meant all bosses would give you the option to have a dramatic card battle instead of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Triple Triad alone is better than any whole game in the FF series imo except for 8, because it includes Triple Triad as part of it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Triple Triad alone is better than any whole game in the FF series imo except for 8, because it includes Triple Triad as part of it.

It's better than 8 because 8 has a stupidly large install file size for just triple triad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I was extremely disappointed that a Triple Triad only playthrough wasn't possible--the way I'd understood it when it first came out, by "you can challenge anyone to Triple Triad" I thought it meant all bosses would give you the option to have a dramatic card battle instead of a fight.

and it would have been a better game

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stux posted:

if it helps its rarely levels. u can beat bosses at 5-10 levels under on hard mode and there are some early demosn that are particularly good at handling him.

I suspect I would enjoy the super-tough-bosses aspect but I don't wanna have to be on high alert all the time with all the regular encounters.

Someone needs to make the Boss Battles Only JRPG.

edit: Xenogears Disc 2 was glorious.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't think it's possible to spoil final fantasy 8, everything just comes out of nowhere with no build-up. Laguna is Squall's dad. That should be a big spoiler but it doesn't effect the story in any way

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Triple Tryhard

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Google Butt posted:

What is the best RPG on switch for someone with a minimal anime tolerance

Disgaea 6. Overcome your flaws.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

I don't think it's possible to spoil final fantasy 8, everything just comes out of nowhere with no build-up. Laguna is Squall's dad. That should be a big spoiler but it doesn't effect the story in any way

all the characters knew each other as kids but forgot because they summon monsters. again none of this matters.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Sleepytime posted:

I have an Epid ID that I'm using for Rocket League on Switch but I can't figure out what email address I have tied to it. Both of my email addresses are already associated with Epic logins, neither of which is the one I have for Rocket League. I only see the option to sign in with an email address on the Epic website and I couldn't find anything in game either. Is there any way to find what email address is tied to a given Epic ID?

Have you tried signing in to Epic using the linked Nintendo account? That should show the associated email address on profile settings once you're in:

https://www.epicgames.com/id/login

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

flavor.flv posted:

Well it changes whether I'm gonna romance him or not

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

jackhunter64 posted:

Have you tried signing in to Epic using the linked Nintendo account? That should show the associated email address on profile settings once you're in:

https://www.epicgames.com/id/login

Thank you, I ended up doing that and it had me enter new account information. It wouldn't let me use my own email address so I just made a new one and am good to go now. I must have been able to make an Epic ID in game in Rocket Leage without having to link to an email.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Argue posted:

Thanks now I'm disappointed in hindsight because I never expected this to be a thing when I played but now I wish it was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The card game in Shovel Knight King of Cards is also really good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This probably won't interest most of you, but if you own a Drageus game, you can get most of their library for 99% off, which means there's some decent games for pennies.

I've played several of their puzzle games, which are fine. Archaica has pretty solid production values and is a fun light beam puzzler. Mushroom Quest is a capable Sokoban clone (though the last puzzle gave me fits since it involved something unintuitive, don't really remember the details though). Girabox is a decent rotation-based puzzler, and Island Maze is neat though a lot more difficult for the rest. They've got a variety of other games as well. For dirt cheap indie games you can do worse.

e: URL embedding doesn't seem to work well when the URL has brackets, so here's the link, sorry that you have to copy and paste: https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[publisher]=Drageus+Games

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 7, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do you guys suppose the metroid prime remaster will have the same engine as mp4

I'm fine with straight ports, but if we're doing fantasy upgrades, 1080p Metroid Prime with dual analog controls instead of snap targeting would be awesome.

Like the snap targeting was fine with GameCube controllers being designed for babies and the right analog stick being a weird half step between the N64 C-controls and the PS2 dual sticks.

But it's been 20 years. The whole planet uses dual sticks and triggers now. An update would be great.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Morpheus posted:

To that end, I see Eastward is on sale (for like only 10 percent off but still) and I've been eyeing it, any thoughts on it? I love the Earthbound aesthetic, though i understand it plays nothing like it, but if it's a good game then I'm interested.

It's fine, I guess? It has some charming characters and some fun plot points. The combat is passable, you won't be doing very much of it though, it's much more like a JRPG in that there's a lot of talking. Also in my opinion the story (which had been really good up to that point) falls off a loving cliff in chapter 6 and never recovers. But it isn't a bad game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argue posted:

There is a mod for the pc version of Witcher 3 that replaces all instances of combat with gwent

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Google Butt posted:

What is the best RPG on switch for someone with a minimal anime tolerance

your time would be better spent building up your anime tolerance rather than playing non-anime rpgs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DQXIS is very very anime looking but not particularly anime tropey

It has some DQ running gags that border into skeevy but it doesn't play out like a stereotypical anime, really

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm fine with straight ports, but if we're doing fantasy upgrades, 1080p Metroid Prime with dual analog controls instead of snap targeting would be awesome.

Like the snap targeting was fine with GameCube controllers being designed for babies and the right analog stick being a weird half step between the N64 C-controls and the PS2 dual sticks.

But it's been 20 years. The whole planet uses dual sticks and triggers now. An update would be great.

I'd be fine with this as long as it also had an option for gyro aiming.

Go gyro aim or go home. I can't stand twin-stick shooter controls. I loathe them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

it would be terrible

Silver Falcon posted:

Go gyro aim or go home. I can't stand twin-stick shooter controls. I loathe them.

this

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the puzzle game suggestions, I’ve whittled the list of games down to (not exclusively puzzlers):

Goose game
Katamari
Tetris Effect
Mr Driller
Bug Fables
Obra Dinn
Babe is You
Pikuniku
Ace attorney Trilogy (I’m assuming I should pick this and not Chronicles?)

And games for me:
Fell Seal
Terraria
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon

I am now mired in indecision.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Thanks for the puzzle game suggestions, I’ve whittled the list of games down to (not exclusively puzzlers):

Goose game
Katamari
Tetris Effect
Mr Driller
Bug Fables
Obra Dinn
Babe is You
Pikuniku

And games for me:
Fell Seal
Terraria

I love baba is you. It just got a huge update I haven't even delved into yet. Goose game is $10 right now! I think you can play the AA Trilogy or Chronicles in either order.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Stux posted:

shin megami tensei nocturne

i randomly clicked in to this thread looking for a game to play and saw this and remembered that game exists and bought it and have been playing it all morning OP. I'm "lovin it"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

get better with sticks noob

Aardvark! posted:

i randomly clicked in to this thread looking for a game to play and saw this and remembered that game exists and bought it and have been playing it all morning OP. I'm "lovin it"

:tipshat:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Morpheus posted:

To that end, I see Eastward is on sale (for like only 10 percent off but still) and I've been eyeing it, any thoughts on it? I love the Earthbound aesthetic, though i understand it plays nothing like it, but if it's a good game then I'm interested.

I wouldn't recommend it. It's a gorgeous game with fun music, but I don't think the gameplay ever gets "good" and the story is under performing at best, but I found it to just be flat out half-baked and bad. It got so much buzz and was quite the indie darling, and I think that helped a lot of the issues get glossed over. I kept playing it waiting to see if the gameplay got more fun, and then waiting to see if the story was going to pay off, and neither of those things happened for me. It sets things up like there is going to be a pretty meaningful and deep story going on, but it never sees it through.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Agrias120 posted:

I wouldn't recommend it. It's a gorgeous game with fun music, but I don't think the gameplay ever gets "good" and the story is under performing at best, but I found it to just be flat out half-baked and bad. It got so much buzz and was quite the indie darling, and I think that helped a lot of the issues get glossed over. I kept playing it waiting to see if the gameplay got more fun, and then waiting to see if the story was going to pay off, and neither of those things happened for me. It sets things up like there is going to be a pretty meaningful and deep story going on, but it never sees it through.

I hated to see it shake out that way, but the above is all true. Absolutely loved the art style though.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Postman posted:

I love baba is you. It just got a huge update I haven't even delved into yet. Goose game is $10 right now! I think you can play the AA Trilogy or Chronicles in either order.

Yeah, the Ace Attorney Trilogy and Great Ace Attorney Chronicles are quite separate from each other. Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is a prequel in the same universe with Ace Attorney's great-grandfather, but it has no connection to what happens in the modern-day Ace Attorney series other than a few cameos. They're both extremely good and worth playing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Metroid Prime remakes should be in VR

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Postman posted:

We picked Baba. :D

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

One minute too slow!!

Wildtortilla posted:

Goose game
Katamari
Tetris Effect
Mr Driller
Bug Fables
Obra Dinn
Babe is You
Pikuniku

And games for me:
Fell Seal
Terraria

Goose Game is a delight and a riot to watch or play. Your partner will enjoy the antics you get into and can join if she feels so inclined. On your end you can do some challenge runs, and they do get challenging as they're essentially speed runs. Bad point? It's very short. You'll enjoy your time, but it isn't a long game, some 3 hours or so tops.

Katamari is tons of fun, but I don't know how much fun your partner would have watching you/directing you. Stages can run some time, and while there is the spectacle of getting a bigger Katamari the controls are finicky so trying to order you to go left or right may be tough. Still I think it's doable and it's quite the experience. Not a particularly long game but good for what you do. Probably some 5 hours or so. I don't remember.

Tetris Effect is AMAZING. Just the best Tetris game. Still as much as I love Tetris I've never seen it as super fun to watch. Tetris Effect certainly is fun to watch, but it's more fun to listen to but the reason it works is because you're making the music. If they're not doing that just watching may not be as fun. It does have multiplayer modes, but that may feel rather asymmetrical in the end.

Mr Driller is another great little puzzler with several different variants of the same general activity. Difficulty levels unlock the further you go. I believe the multiplayer is competitive in nature. It may not be the most interesting thing to watch, but there's one mode the Drindy Adventure that allows for someone to suss out the puzzle with you. It's not a Tetris-killer but it's neat.

Obra Dinn is incredible. Watch a trailer to see if you can deal with the graphics, some people claim it causes some problems, but otherwise you want to go in as blind as possible. It's more than possible to co-op it as you want as many eyes on it as possible. The whole production is just top-notch. Not terribly long, and you'll want more, but you'll understand why it's limited. Probably good for 5 hours.

Baba is You is a weird puzzler but it can be very addicting. It has tons of content and it can get very tricky. I've never finished it but I feel like I got pretty respectably far and probably would've beaten more stages if I wasn't so stubborn about doing them in order. It got user generated content recently so think of it as Mario Maker for functions. It may not seem as intuitive as a co-op game but it can certainly work, though eventually you may get to some puzzles whose win conditions require very direct movement or repetitive actions which may not be as interesting.

Pikuniku is a short irreverent platformer adventurer. It's got plenty of dialogue, and I find reading together isn't a great activity. It's cute and fun for the price, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as some of your other choices.

Ace Attorney- I don't know about either collection but I played the originals. Very text heavy and they can fall into pixel hunts to some degree. I feel like a 2nd viewer may get bored if you go too slow or too fast. As satisfying as the trials can be, and they are, they're also not as intuitive as you'd like and they're scripting results in reveals at specific moments, when you'd you could reveal something sooner. I know that makes little sense, but people who've played Phoenix Wright games probably know what I'm talking about.

So for the two of you I would definitely get Goose Game, Obra Dinn, Baba, and Katamari, in that order. I don't know what your budget is or what the prices are but you'll get seriously good mileage out of the first two there.

As for you I can only speak for Fell Seal, but if it's strategy you want you can't go wrong. However, Triangle Strategy comes out in about a month, and the demo was arguably better than anything I saw in Fell Seal featuring rather interesting and unique classes and moves. Fell Seal having a job system is very cool, but also features so many options you don't use them all or you gun for the "best" ones. It's the reason I enjoyed older Fire Emblem games. You're options are limited but it means things are more fine-tuned.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking as someone who has a high tolerance for anime bullshit, does anyone know anything about Demon Gaze? The description talks about the MC being able to control demons and the screenshots make it look like a turn based JRPG, so it sort of looks like SMT But Even More Anime. Which I'd kind of be into, as long as it's halfway decent.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has anyone played A Train? I want it now it's on sale, but they just released it on Steam and the demo chug-a-bugged along quite a bit so... It's a conundrum

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I played A Train on my 286 when I was 11 years old and it was too slow and complicated for me.

Does that help?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

One minute too slow!!

Goose Game is a delight and a riot to watch or play. Your partner will enjoy the antics you get into and can join if she feels so inclined. On your end you can do some challenge runs, and they do get challenging as they're essentially speed runs. Bad point? It's very short. You'll enjoy your time, but it isn't a long game, some 3 hours or so tops.

Katamari is tons of fun, but I don't know how much fun your partner would have watching you/directing you. Stages can run some time, and while there is the spectacle of getting a bigger Katamari the controls are finicky so trying to order you to go left or right may be tough. Still I think it's doable and it's quite the experience. Not a particularly long game but good for what you do. Probably some 5 hours or so. I don't remember.

Tetris Effect is AMAZING. Just the best Tetris game. Still as much as I love Tetris I've never seen it as super fun to watch. Tetris Effect certainly is fun to watch, but it's more fun to listen to but the reason it works is because you're making the music. If they're not doing that just watching may not be as fun. It does have multiplayer modes, but that may feel rather asymmetrical in the end.

Mr Driller is another great little puzzler with several different variants of the same general activity. Difficulty levels unlock the further you go. I believe the multiplayer is competitive in nature. It may not be the most interesting thing to watch, but there's one mode the Drindy Adventure that allows for someone to suss out the puzzle with you. It's not a Tetris-killer but it's neat.

Obra Dinn is incredible. Watch a trailer to see if you can deal with the graphics, some people claim it causes some problems, but otherwise you want to go in as blind as possible. It's more than possible to co-op it as you want as many eyes on it as possible. The whole production is just top-notch. Not terribly long, and you'll want more, but you'll understand why it's limited. Probably good for 5 hours.

Baba is You is a weird puzzler but it can be very addicting. It has tons of content and it can get very tricky. I've never finished it but I feel like I got pretty respectably far and probably would've beaten more stages if I wasn't so stubborn about doing them in order. It got user generated content recently so think of it as Mario Maker for functions. It may not seem as intuitive as a co-op game but it can certainly work, though eventually you may get to some puzzles whose win conditions require very direct movement or repetitive actions which may not be as interesting.

Pikuniku is a short irreverent platformer adventurer. It's got plenty of dialogue, and I find reading together isn't a great activity. It's cute and fun for the price, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as some of your other choices.

Ace Attorney- I don't know about either collection but I played the originals. Very text heavy and they can fall into pixel hunts to some degree. I feel like a 2nd viewer may get bored if you go too slow or too fast. As satisfying as the trials can be, and they are, they're also not as intuitive as you'd like and they're scripting results in reveals at specific moments, when you'd you could reveal something sooner. I know that makes little sense, but people who've played Phoenix Wright games probably know what I'm talking about.

So for the two of you I would definitely get Goose Game, Obra Dinn, Baba, and Katamari, in that order. I don't know what your budget is or what the prices are but you'll get seriously good mileage out of the first two there.

As for you I can only speak for Fell Seal, but if it's strategy you want you can't go wrong. However, Triangle Strategy comes out in about a month, and the demo was arguably better than anything I saw in Fell Seal featuring rather interesting and unique classes and moves. Fell Seal having a job system is very cool, but also features so many options you don't use them all or you gun for the "best" ones. It's the reason I enjoyed older Fire Emblem games. You're options are limited but it means things are more fine-tuned.

Holy smokes thanks a bunch!

We bought Baba on her Switch cause she had some funds sloshing around. I have some on mine too, so I may still get Goose Game and/or Katamari. There’s something about Obra Dinn that just is off putting to me. It’s not the graphics, I think I don’t want to solve a mystery. I’d much rather play a puzzler like Baba than have to think about things like it seems I’d have to in Obra Dinn.

We’re in this situation cause we both got slammed with Covid this past week and my wife’s recovery is very slow going. We’re bored of TV and movies and want to play a game that she can watch and contribute to. She can’t use her muscles very well but she is smart as hell with word puzzles, so Baba seems like a no brainer for us.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

We picked Baba. :D

Baba Is You is possibly the best puzzle game I've ever played. I put a solid 30 hours into it and eventually got to the point where the puzzles were too difficult for my fragile little brain, but I enjoyed it immensely until that point. I'd still like to go back someday, but the difficulty really does get fiendish.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baba is about as far from a no-brainer as it gets.

But that's what allows you to feel so big-brained.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ragequit posted:

I hated to see it shake out that way, but the above is all true. Absolutely loved the art style though.

Well, darn. Shame cause I absolutely love the aesthetic of the game. Maybe I'll get it if it dips to 15 bucks CAD or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

Baba Is You is possibly the best puzzle game I've ever played. I put a solid 30 hours into it and eventually got to the point where the puzzles were too difficult for my fragile little brain, but I enjoyed it immensely until that point. I'd still like to go back someday, but the difficulty really does get fiendish.

It helped me to go in with a fresh brain. I revisited it for the first time in a year when the update was announced and managed to make huge progress.