Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

loving christ. How are there not attorneys throwing themselves at him pro bono for an appeal?

Stay the gently caress away from facebook. poo poo is cursed.

(I got about halfway through the article before I closed it out of anger and reached for the dab rig)

It’s frustrating as gently caress. Sorry to make you angry this morning. The double standards are insane, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm angry every morning, so that's not on you.

I breathe, eat, poo poo and sleep anger. Thank gently caress for weed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not going to rant about how he's a failure, but I'm also not buying it until I see it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was entirely just facebook posts. Dude had no criminal history or other record.

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/

I retract my previous post. gently caress Garland with a cactus.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm angry every morning, so that's not on you.

I breathe, eat, poo poo and sleep anger. Thank gently caress for weed.

You should bottle that all up, it's healthier that way (but only if you sell it and/or NFTitize it).

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1478684084821905412

quote:

A reality TV star who sells her farts in jars has decided to stop selling them, despite making $1,000 per jar. But fans of her work shouldn’t worry too much. She’s still going to sell her farts as non-fungible tokens, more commonly known as NFTs.

Stephanie Matto, who appeared on the reality TV show “90-Day Fiance” and gained a huge following on TikTok, says she had to go to the hospital recently with gastric complications because she was eating so many high-fiber foods to produce more and more farts.

“I thought I was having a stroke and that these were my final moments,” Matto told the UK’s Jam Press about her unexpected trip to the hospital near her home in Connecticut. “I was overdoing it.”

Matto, who refers to herself as a fartrepreneur, started farting in jars and selling them online in November and documented the foods she was eating on TikTok to keep up her flatulence, like beans, protein muffins, and eggs. Matto was reportedly taking in roughly $50,000 per week through her highly profitable endeavor but it wasn’t long before the strain became too much.

“I didn’t tell my doctors about the farting in the jar but I did tell them about my diet. It was made clear that what I was experiencing wasn’t a stroke or heart attack but very intense gas pains,” Matto told Jam Press.

“I was advised to change my diet and to take a gas suppressant medication, which has effectively ended my business,” Matto continued.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At what point do you just rebottle some CO2 and fart chemicals and sell them as your farts/bathwater/whatever? Its already a scam why do the actual legwork?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

M_Gargantua posted:

At what point do you just rebottle some CO2 and fart chemicals and sell them as your farts/bathwater/whatever? Its already a scam why do the actual legwork?

I've written an app where influencers can farm out their flatulence needs to gig economy workers, fartr.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Homeopathic Liquid rear end

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Also who needs to radically change their diet in order to produce 7-8 farts a day?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Couldn't she just slow down on the fart production and raise the price of new jars? Instead of doing 50 jarred farts a week, maybe knock out a dozen and tag them for $2-3k apiece? If someone is paying a grand for a fart in a jar, it seems pretty likely they'd pay even more. And they'd probably buy the NFT anyhow. Just open the new revenue stream and increase scarcity of the other while raising the price.

She is clearly not thinking like much of a capitalist.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

So Kazakhstan is about to REALLY pop off. Telling the "security forces" to shoot anyone they please will certainly not cause any issues.

Does anyone have information on how the populace is armed? There was the video of the pitched battle yesterday I believe. Does the average Kazakh own an AK? How bad of a civil war is this going to make?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/07/asia/kazakhstan-kassym-jomart-tokayev-address-intl/index.html

I've seen a few posts around social media that it's more of a coup situation with Nazarbeyev loyalists supplying the populace directly out of the police armories but no idea how reliable that is or if it could be intentional disinfo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

or, perhaps the exact opposite of that

Paladinus posted:

I see this conspiracy theory (in the sense that it's a theory about a conspiracy, not that it's necessarily wrong) from analysts and regular people on twitter across political spectrum that violent looters and rioters in Almaty were organised by Tokaev or someone from his clan to completely oust Nazarbayev. From Russian opposition to Russian nationalists, from Kazakh loyalists to protesters, there are people who voice this idea, even if they explain Tokaev's and Russia's end goals differently. Gulagu Net, for example, even published an email/letter from one of their FSB sources that claims convicts were armed and unleashed to cause unrest by the police to justify harsh suppression of protests elsewhere and the ongoing purge within the government (Nazarbaev is no longer on Security Council, all his ministers were removed), and that this tactic may later be used in Russia.

https://gulagu-net.ru/news/2022-01-06-1123.html

There is circumstantial evidence to support this theory. Almaty bore the brunt of violent riots, while protests remained relatively peaceful in other places, protestors managed to easily seize weapons from police stations, the violent protestors attacked all journalists on sight, fairly organised movement of protesters without any even informal leaders (there's Mukhtar Ablyazov, an ex-banker and a vlogger, who currently lives in France and claims to be the protest leader, but it almost looks like he's trying to use the situation for self-promotion), etc. Most of those things can easily be explained by how spontaneous the protest was and the involvement of rural clans with strong low-level organisation, but it's interesting that the same false flag theory sprung up in many different places at the same time.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Aw man, RIP to a real one:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1479474871499427845

I never knew that Ghost Dad was the last movie that he directed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ah that sucks. Lived a long rear end life though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here's a piece of good news

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1479477988093829120

Even if the judge rules that they can get parole after 30 years, that's still pretty much a guarantee that two out of three of these shitbags will die in prison.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Here's a headline that will brighten your day, and by "brighten your day" I mean "make veins stand out on your neck."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7d7x3/tech-startup-wants-to-gamify-the-us-court-system-using-crypto-tokens

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Omicron has taken off big time in Australia, particularly in New South Wales - 38000 cases there alone yesterday- but they are cracking the gently caress down:

:australia:

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Madurai posted:

Here's a headline that will brighten your day, and by "brighten your day" I mean "make veins stand out on your neck."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7d7x3/tech-startup-wants-to-gamify-the-us-court-system-using-crypto-tokens

"Move fast and break things."

This is the cool motto for startups to follow

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Aw man, RIP to a real one:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1479474871499427845

I never knew that Ghost Dad was the last movie that he directed.

Sneakers. Best movie ever. Rest is soul.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

or, perhaps the exact opposite of that

Goddamn talk about a cluster gently caress.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

stackofflapjacks posted:

"Move fast and break things."

This is the cool motto for startups to follow

I dunno, increasing access to the courts by crowdfunding doesnt seem like such a terrible idea. I hate crypto as much as the next middle aged goon but I dont see what is so objectionable about this process.

In practice I imagine this will result in corporations hedging their own damages and potential liability or probably some other horrible outcome, but the spirit of what they are trying to accomplish seems worthwhile

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 7, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Some might say Kazakh has underlying social issues creating fissures in its national stability should the stabilising forces be disrupted for some reason. Aka an extra brutal dictatorship where people can only afford to trust family, is going to crack apart when the oppression suddenly stumbles for whatever reason. However long this takes it will never be very clear who stands where and why or even what they're doing.

I hoped this would be Ceaușescu again but it aint. Looks more like the oppression party will violently decide which one of them will be in power soon-ish and everything goes back to status quo

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Blind Rasputin posted:

Sneakers. Best movie ever. Rest is soul.

Be a beacon?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Some might say Kazakh has underlying social issues creating fissures in its national stability should the stabilising forces be disrupted for some reason. Aka an extra brutal dictatorship where people can only afford to trust family, is going to crack apart when the oppression suddenly stumbles for whatever reason. However long this takes it will never be very clear who stands where and why or even what they're doing. Ceaușescu this aint.

I heard an academic from a post-soviet republic argue once that the social contract in a lot of the post-soviet Asian countries is essentially "you leave us alone and we'll leave you alone" where the government and society operated in parallel without expecting much from each other. That kind of system is extremely susceptible to changes to the status quo like major price hikes for fuel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1479489712238776328

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1479489794346557444

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Goddamn talk about a cluster gently caress.

I wonder how this will affect the Russian space program seeing how they launch tons of poo poo out of the Baikonur Cosmodrome, which is in Kazakhstan. I imagine the Russian troops going in will lock it down post haste.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I wonder how this will affect the Russian space program seeing how they launch tons of poo poo out of the Baikonur Cosmodrome, which is in Kazakhstan. I imagine the Russian troops going in will lock it down post haste.

Baikonour isn't the sole kosmodrome Russia uses. Don't every space nerd know this? Vostochny is the newest one in any case

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
nm im trying to argue with a rock

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nm im trying to argue with a rock

Better to piss into the wind, at least your shoes get a quick wash.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here's a piece of good news

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1479477988093829120

Even if the judge rules that they can get parole after 30 years, that's still pretty much a guarantee that two out of three of these shitbags will die in prison.

Update: watched the sentencing hearing. The McMichaels got life without parole + 20 and Bryan, the guy who filmed it, got life with possibility of parole. gently caress em all, they're still looking at federal charges too.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Crumbleys (Oxford shooter parents) knew.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2022/01/07/oxford-school-shooting-suspect-crumbley/9133569002/

quote:

Oxford school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley often texted his mom about "demons" and "ghosts" in the house, videotaped himself torturing animals, made Molotov cocktails at home, drew a sketch of himself shooting up his school in a journal, and once texted a friend "it's time to shoot up the school JK," prosecutors disclosed in court Friday.

But the teen's parents failed to get their son any help, they said, because they ignored the red flags, didn't pay enough attention to him and instead fed into his unhealthy obsession with guns.

"They did not intervene, They did not schedule therapy," Assistant Oakland County prosecutor Marc Keast said in court Friday. "Instead, they bought him what he desperately wanted … a handgun."

Keast disclosed these allegations during a bond hearing for Ethan Crumbley's parents, who had asked a judge to lower their bond from $500,000 to $100,000.

The judge refused to lower the bond, concluding the parents were flight risks, just as the prosecutor had argued, and that the charges in the case are too serious to warrant releasing them.

It's starting to make a lot of sense why the state/county prosecutors want to make a run at this case when it's kind of a stretch.

This is basically why I'm pissed about the Supreme Court likely tossing the OSHA vaccine mandate and governors coddling the unvaccinated. Make these fuckers' lives uncomfortable enough and they'll relent and benefit societ-

*checks notes*

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1479540507508363267

or maybe not. Whatever, still a net benefit!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Update: watched the sentencing hearing. The McMichaels got life without parole + 20 and Bryan, the guy who filmed it, got life with possibility of parole. gently caress em all, they're still looking at federal charges too.

Worth linking the video of one part of the sentencing hearing:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1479543463083446284

Our brains have been rewired to have our skin crawl at the slightest dead air in video/audio, so this was really something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Baikonour isn't the sole kosmodrome Russia uses. Don't every space nerd know this? Vostochny is the newest one in any case

The Cape isn't our sole spaceport either but losing it would be a massive blow to our launch capability.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Worth linking the video of one part of the sentencing hearing:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1479543463083446284

Our brains have been rewired to have our skin crawl at the slightest dead air in video/audio, so this was really something.

That’s good. I had a prof who used to do criminal trials and she noted that if you need to collect your thoughts in court it’s ok to stand there saying nothing, as otherwise the transcript would say “attorney said give me a minute or said “hmm.” She also advised if detained by police all you say is “I want a lawyer” over and over as while requesting consul won’t harm your case, trying to explain everything away to the cops wasn’t the best idea for her past clients.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Cape isn't our sole spaceport either but losing it would be a massive blow to our launch capability.

It would be massively inconvenient but not crippling. You'd adapt and you would still get the cans up there

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Omicron has taken off big time in Australia, particularly in New South Wales - 38000 cases there alone yesterday- but they are cracking the gently caress down:

:australia:

I had assumed this was the case already.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s good. I had a prof who used to do criminal trials and she noted that if you need to collect your thoughts in court it’s ok to stand there saying nothing, as otherwise the transcript would say “attorney said give me a minute or said “hmm.” She also advised if detained by police all you say is “I want a lawyer” over and over as while requesting consul won’t harm your case, trying to explain everything away to the cops wasn’t the best idea for her past clients.

everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, after all

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

She also advised if detained by police all you say is “I want a lawyer” over and over as while requesting consul won’t harm your case, trying to explain everything away to the cops wasn’t the best idea for her past clients.

https://twitter.com/InvokeTheFifth/status/1476885869562929153

Not ironclad, but rarely a bad idea to shut the gently caress up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

extended cut covers a few more scenarios and has celebrity pizzazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo5RYOp4nQ

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://mobile.twitter.com/HiraethResists/status/1479117715558191104

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

$ometimes you ju$t need to experiment with idea$ before you know exactly how they'll be u$eful. It'$ thi$ kind of forward-looking embrace of what'$ po$$ible that ha$ helped en$ure that the U$ remain$ the major foundation for global $ecurity.