Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

basically this

I still use debuffs more than buffs, even the party ones

You rarely find a boss that uses both dekaja and defamation so it's good to vary it up, but yeah generally I found debuffing consistently better

E: ah gently caress this forgotten Mesopotamian underworld god is defaming me

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Try some debuffs, and maybe make it take a nap.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I think I've said this before but Cleopatra is OP as hell. She's so strong I'm not even going to use her next time lol. Frolic/Luster Candy/Boon Boost is all you need for basically every story boss

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

my OP combination was putting Taunt on Rangda, that was too good

I found a lot of those "Healing plus Luster Candy" combos were crazy good, I basically went straight from Idun to Tao

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

If you choose Neutral near the end of the game Tao abandons you which sucked cause she had all my support skills plus I had been dumping incense on her. I replaced her with Norn who had maybe 1/3rd of the MP.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Demeter is a good replacement healer for Tao since she has a fullheal that also increases max HP without needing to charge it first, plus she can be unlocked pretty quickly after the alignment choice if you've been keeping up with her questline

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tao should have been the final boss on the basic neutral route.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

my OP combination was putting Taunt on Rangda, that was too good

I found a lot of those "Healing plus Luster Candy" combos were crazy good, I basically went straight from Idun to Tao

rangda is one of my favorite demons. its easily accessed phys null saved my rear end so many times in devil survivor. similar to that strategy you can give your demons the ability to shield you from lethal damage, and on rangda its so nice lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finally went ahead and beat the final boss who was absurdly easy, as i understand the "true neutral ending" final boss is actually a much harder form, but... I had to beat Shiva to unlock the true neutral ending, and the final boss was completely trivial by comparison, so why bother with a harder form that's guaranteed not to pose a challenge? Weird.

Also weird that the "create a world for humans alone, causing all demons to immediately stop existing" ending requires you to do all the quests that involve helping demons, and then for all that, the ending itself is just the game going "oh and it probably won't work anyway lol".

I'll do the other routes on NG+ since I still want to beat Demifiend at some point but the law/chaos endings sound a lot better and both actually sound like entirely reasonable propositions for once. I guess after Apocalypse it was Neutral's turn to be the lovely choice

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 10, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
SMT3 remaster first time through

finally beat Matador after getting hosed in the a*s by him a bunch. Once I finally had a decent squad together with Force immune etc he decided to be a huge piece of poo poo with debuff clears but whatever it's finally over

(attempt 1 I had a force weak dude on the team and got omega owned before I even knew what was happening)

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

last time I fought Matador I tried using a Dekaja Rock and he never re-used Red Capote, which surprised me

it did teach me something I kept with me which is to use buffs when the boss has Dekunda and debuffs when the boss has Dekaja

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it cannot be overstated how important buffs/debuffs are in Nocturne, just always use them in every boss fight. the worst that can happen is they cancel them out, wasting a turn

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think my genius plan to put my good buffs and debuffs on the same Bicorn made it way harder than it should have been. I got kinda tunnel visioned on getting rid of his evasion and yeah it makes way more sense to just buff and accept all the misses in hindsight since he doesn't have a buff purge

The game up to Matador was so comparatively easy I will admit I never even noticed the turn push system with weaknesses until then. :shepface:

One thing I didn't like was finding out that the dudes you recruit don't necessarily have the ability they use in fighting them. I wanted that stingray with Media real bad

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It's me, I'm the noob. I'm the reason they're nerfing the castle. gently caress this dungeon

Edit: poo poo I'm already playing the nerfed version

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

It's me, I'm the noob. I'm the reason they're nerfing the castle. gently caress this dungeon

Edit: poo poo I'm already playing the nerfed version

Wow.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

I think my genius plan to put my good buffs and debuffs on the same Bicorn made it way harder than it should have been. I got kinda tunnel visioned on getting rid of his evasion and yeah it makes way more sense to just buff and accept all the misses in hindsight since he doesn't have a buff purge

The game up to Matador was so comparatively easy I will admit I never even noticed the turn push system with weaknesses until then. :shepface:

One thing I didn't like was finding out that the dudes you recruit don't necessarily have the ability they use in fighting them. I wanted that stingray with Media real bad

yeah the difficult part about Matador which I'm sure is intentional is that you fight him before you get access to the most useful fusion tool, at which point you can freely propagate buffs and debuffs to as many demons as you can to ensure you always have both on hand

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

playing the remaster i noticed Matador seemed a lot more random aside from using Red Capote at the start. the first time i fought him he kept Andalucia'ing my rear end and wiped my whole party, didn't use a single wind skill once

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

yeah me too, I specifically fused ame-no-uzume for media and the force null and couldn't keep up the healing. second time I fought him with the exact same party he used mazan every round and wasted all his turns

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

My sense of direction in the third floor is just awful. Looking back at it though yeah it's not as bad as SMT's other dungeons

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

How did they nerf it, exactly.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Kongming posted:

How did they nerf it, exactly.

I uh had to ashamedly watch a video walk thru and it showed the pre nerf so I have something to compare to

In the third floor they got rid of three fans near the very start. It’s weird tho that they took those out because it wasn’t what I consider the hard part

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

playing the remaster i noticed Matador seemed a lot more random aside from using Red Capote at the start. the first time i fought him he kept Andalucia'ing my rear end and wiped my whole party, didn't use a single wind skill once

someone on stream told me it was really rare for him to re-max his dodge+hit so I spent 4 turns getting him back down to normal and he immediately gave himself +4 again and wiped my team

the thing matador is really trying to teach you is have a group heal spell from this point on or die

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i dont think its a coincidence that my successful matador fight he didnt andalucia once, its just so insanely dangerous

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

yeah it doesn't take very long before you can't keep up the healing if he just decides to spam that over and over, especially once you're at the Taunt stage

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Demi Fiend on hard lived up to the hype. Even on NG+ with a full party of max demons, murakumo build, and accursed poison, I had to drop down to Normal and that still took a few hours.

Has anyone tried using his skills against him once you have the essence? They seemed pretty underwhelming when I tried them on normal enemies, but maybe I didn’t have the right setup.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I ran away immediately after seeing that he was re-doable and never went back. I'm sure Chaotic Will would gently caress him up as badly as it does you though. aside from the instant death anyway

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

I ran away immediately after seeing that he was re-doable and never went back. I'm sure Chaotic Will would gently caress him up as badly as it does you though. aside from the instant death anyway

Huh I hadn’t thought of that, could be fun to try out one of these days.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the music in that fight is so good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Demi Fiend on hard lived up to the hype. Even on NG+ with a full party of max demons, murakumo build, and accursed poison, I had to drop down to Normal and that still took a few hours.

Has anyone tried using his skills against him once you have the essence? They seemed pretty underwhelming when I tried them on normal enemies, but maybe I didn’t have the right setup.

I'm not ready to try it until I have a rotation of eight or so demons with Repel/Drain Physical but that might be overkill

it's possible I just have to be good

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I'm not ready to try it until I have a rotation of eight or so demons with Repel/Drain Physical but that might be overkill

it's possible I just have to be good

the thing is, if your whole lineup has null/drain/repel phys he just uses freikugel over and over, which isn't a death sentence, but can be tough to keep up with.

Although I've heard you can get away with it if your MC only has resist phys? Not exactly sure.

I definitely see how the fight could be winnable on hard, it's just the combination of the turn limits before gaea rage + the threat of healing + chaotic will ruining your day + constant respawns along with the crazy amount of health makes for a major headache. I feel like the gap in difficulty between him and Shiva, let alone the normal final bosses, is crazy. Is this what Nocturne is like?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No but it is what the DDS2 bonus boss is like. Although I've never tried it myself since its a NG+ only unlock

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I would've had very little chance on hard without my op yatagarasu timing the heal prevention. Though one of his demons did get a heal off once in the fight where I won iirc

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the thing is, if your whole lineup has null/drain/repel phys he just uses freikugel over and over, which isn't a death sentence, but can be tough to keep up with.

I suppose I should try fighting him in this run to see if it's true because I've heard he only uses freikugel if you don't swap someone out after he uses a physical attack which, again, I have no idea if that's accurate or not

in terms of difficulty the BS fights it seems to compare to are from DDS2 and Elizabeth in Persona 3

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I suppose I should try fighting him in this run to see if it's true because I've heard he only uses freikugel if you don't swap someone out after he uses a physical attack which, again, I have no idea if that's accurate or not

in terms of difficulty the BS fights it seems to compare to are from DDS2 and Elizabeth in Persona 3

I think he only uses it if everyone in your party has NRD phys, so I guess just ensure there's always someone in your party (presumably starting party so they don't eat a Deadly Fury) with only resist?

I eventually called it and didn't beat him, felt extremely bad but I'll do it on NG+ one day

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Beat the game on the true ending but feel bad cus I used Cleopatra and frolic is one of the dumbest skills I ever seen.

But also game owns 10/10

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Ghosthotel posted:

Beat the game on the true ending but feel bad cus I used Cleopatra and frolic is one of the dumbest skills I ever seen.

But also game owns 10/10

I’m sorry, are you seriously saying that the host of heaven and the legions of hell can’t appreciate giant tits?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

(he was harder in DDS)

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Finally beat this game. Accidently stumbled onto the secret ending just by virtue of trying to do everything.

I think Nocturne still edges it out as the better game but this is still amazing, just some flaws and seemingly lack of budget near the end.
I forgot who said it in this thread but SMTV: Apocalypse will be godlike.

Now onto possibly demi-fiend and/or ng+

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally finished the grinding I needed to do in Megami Tensei after chipping away at it 10 minutes at a time across like 2 weeks and glad to see new enemy sprites and get some new music. This game is cool even if the combat is supremely limited in design. There's a huge ambition that just isn't really lived up to in the gameplay but hell. We all start somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

beat the demi-fiend on ng+. really loved the game, although I think nocturne is still my fav of the series.

been playing the shiva boss fight song on repeat though its so loving rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztv537rWTo