Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

August 2020.

This is probably a stand-alone expansion pack. Supposedly a "Refinery" level set in Russia was cut from SS4 during development, this is probably Croteam going back to unfinished business.

As somebody who ultimately enjoyed SS4, the oil rig/platform level that they did choose to keep in the game was easily the worst part of the game in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Shaky breaky"-yerself, comrade.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm probably fine skipping out on serious sam anymore, i don't think even the devs know how to keep it relevant nowadays

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
just use doom. make some sprites, hire some good doom slaughter mappers, and slap a sprite of sam on it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I couldn't even finish Serious Sam 4. To be honest I don't think I like those kinds of games, I only remember the original two fondly because I was 12 years old. Never did like Painkiller or Doom slaughtermaps either. v:shobon:v

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sam 4 seemed fine enough when I tried it but honestly never felt the need to play more of that series after the old ones.

I do hear the GameCube one was surprisingly good so I’ll check that one out someday.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I couldn't even finish Serious Sam 4. To be honest I don't think I like those kinds of games, I only remember the original two fondly because I was 12 years old. Never did like Painkiller or Doom slaughtermaps either. v:shobon:v

Is a Doom slaughtermap really the same genre? I’ve only played SS1 and barely play any slaughtermaps but they felt a bit different to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

david_a posted:

Is a Doom slaughtermap really the same genre? I’ve only played SS1 and barely play any slaughtermaps but they felt a bit different to me.

Yeah I don’t think so. Good Doom slaughter maps actually require more thought and strategy.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I had fun with SS4, but it felt pretty rough. It was clear that something went wrong during development. And for the health of the franchise, 4 really needed to be a step above 3, which it wasn't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ponzicar posted:

I had fun with SS4, but it felt pretty rough. It was clear that something went wrong during development. And for the health of the franchise, 4 really needed to be a step above 3, which it wasn't.

And 3 was a low point. TFE and TSE are still the best imo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah I don’t think so. Good Doom slaughter maps actually require more thought and strategy.

Yeah, slaughter maps can be almost puzzle maps, because the density of enemies and overall difficulty is so high that you have to find out the correct order of actions (first go to the left corner, second prioritize these Pain Elementals, third fire blindly rockets at this point that will spawn an Archvile in two seconds, fourth get cell on this other place and hide behind column to explode skellies rockets...)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Blood E2M5 was just bad. All my least favorite parts of mid 90's FPS tropes condensed into one package: Extreme key hunting, lots of wandering around aimlessly, far too much necessary use of explosives (I don't like dynamite - it's wildly inconsistent and unreliable), and one point where I would've been softlocked if it wasn't for noclip. Most of the time in general it feels like I'm fighting the game rather than playing. I'll stick with it since it was gifted to me but it doesn't really gel with me much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I tried several times to get into Blood and its not happening. The weapon and enemy roster isn't happening and I've made my peace with that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
yeah I mean if you don't like dynamite you're not gonna love Blood. Its basically a core mechanic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do hear the GameCube one was surprisingly good so I’ll check that one out someday.

It's the only one I like, and the only one not made by Croteam (not counting Advance) so..well, yeah

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MMF Freeway posted:

yeah I mean if you don't like dynamite you're not gonna love Blood. Its basically a core mechanic

Yeah I think you should just give up on Blood if you don’t like the dynamite.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdj-XX52_90

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like blood a lot but it took a long time to gel with me. mostly i just had to make peace with savescumming a bunch lol. but once you embrace just getting weird with all the weapons and environmental poo poo it's great

e: and i gotta say what i've played so far of death wish is some of the most impressive and entertaining level design in any '90s fps map pack i've ever seen. if the base game isn't clicking with you, give death wish a shot and see if you like it more

Weedle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Kins posted:

August 2020.

This is probably a stand-alone expansion pack. Supposedly a "Refinery" level set in Russia was cut from SS4 during development, this is probably Croteam going back to unfinished business.

What in the gently caress? That means the weird motorcycle trailer was in like 2019 at least?

Oh gently caress 2018 what the hell even is time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q33N833aPX4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

I tried several times to get into Blood and its not happening. The weapon and enemy roster isn't happening and I've made my peace with that.

Forget vainilla Blood, but play Deathwish.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I'm hyped - probably the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment. It'll be tough avoiding early access and spoiling it somewhat.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I'm hyped - probably the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment. It'll be tough avoiding early access and spoiling it somewhat.

I'm a freak who religiously replays things so I know I'm going to devour the early access version a billion times and then have a heart attack when the final game comes out. Everything about Gloomwood seems like weapons grade Absolutely My poo poo aimed straight for the seratonin pouch in my brain.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
About a third of Blood's weapon roster is trash, but the secondary fires mean you still get as many good options as other games, and the dynamite is so fun to use that it elevates it above most others.

The enemy roster is still mostly bad though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The ordinary zombies and the cultists are by far the best in the lineup, in all their stop motion-like glory.

Crudux cruo!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Forget vainilla Blood, but play Deathwish.

Also Cryptic Passage is fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MMF Freeway posted:

Imagine not liking Blood.

Couldn't be me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I'll probably buy early access to support but shant be playing until it's done. I avoided DUSK until it was finished and I would've been pissed if I had started when it was only Episode I.

https://twitter.com/he_beyond/status/1479536211760926725?s=20

The graphics are actually done via scanned post it note drawings like an even lower fi Mundaun

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Weird Sandwich posted:

About a third of Blood's weapon roster is trash, but the secondary fires mean you still get as many good options as other games, and the dynamite is so fun to use that it elevates it above most others.

The enemy roster is still mostly bad though.

KozmoNaut posted:

The ordinary zombies and the cultists are by far the best in the lineup, in all their stop motion-like glory.

Crudux cruo!

I at least appreciate the attempts to give some weird quirks to some of the enemies. Like how Gill Beasts are more dangerous underwater than on land (although the same could probably be said for ordinary cultists, as well), or how Phantasms fade between corporeality/invulnerability, or the way Hell Hounds die if they touch water.

Between that and the various vulnerability/weaknesses to different types of weapons and damage, it felt very novel for a contemporary FPS game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1479835263585206272?s=20

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

This is starting to look really good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:bisonyes:

Just needs that classic FEAR quote: "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

:bisonyes:

Just needs that classic FEAR quote: "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

This getting yelled out right after I blew away an enemy's entire upper body with the shotgun was just :discourse:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Hopefully, the AI system here won't limit the level design like the one in FEAR did. Not that I minded the level design too much, but I wouldn't want to play a game that had to imitate those same levels.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10W482TEeCQ

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That looks neat. I’m surprised I haven’t seen more Doom stuff in Minecraft.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Both of these kick rear end in different ways

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
https://twitter.com/agentstrangetv/status/1479944118105251847?s=21

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YG0_HI0VOg

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never played a Spyro game, but that looks really intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I.... why