Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Didnt something similar happen with the mirage lands as well? I know for A time they made it so you couldn't use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Arena now has it's own quirky MTGO style bug

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1479558429513560068?s=20

Once again I am asking, how does something like this even happen?

Do you remember desperately trying to finish an assignment for school, and as the deadline approaches you start to compromise the quality of the work to save on time? Yeah, it kind of butchers intent of the assignment, but it's good enough, and you'd rather turn in something flawed than turn in nothing.

Now imagine that "good enough" work has to be the foundation of all the work you do for the rest of the year. You have to work around those compromises for all the additional work you do. You might be able to fix it if you completely redo all the work, but gently caress, man, you absolutely don't got time for this, and you resort to increasingly deformed methods to just get the work done, even if it barely remains even slightly coherent.

Now imagine those rushed assignments don't last the rest of the year. Imagine they last 5 years. And imagine that every single person you collaborate with does the exact same lovely methods, and you have to decipher what the hell they were even going for when they barely managed to get past the finish line.

That's all code. All code, ever written. And it's not 5 years, it's forever. I honestly have no idea how the entire modern world doesn't collapse from poo poo code.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A big flaming stink posted:

That's all code. All code, ever written. And it's not 5 years, it's forever. I honestly have no idea how the entire modern world doesn't collapse from poo poo code.

Yeah seriously. When I was in college back in '91 or '92 or so, I still remember my C professor telling me "When the year 2000 comes around, every UNIX system is gonna poo poo the bed". And I still remember thinking "Piffle, surely those systems are maintained by smart, forward thinking individuals who have already taken the required precautions! How silly of us to worry!"

opt
Oct 10, 2007
I figured this thread would enjoy this, my brother in law used to work at a game store in the mid 90s and had a box of MTG odds and ends lying around. So I went through them and even though some of the cards were in rough shape, it was a good mix of revised, arabian nights, 4th edition, and ice age. There were some chronicles, the dark, and fallen empires mixed in as well.

Unfortunately no real lottery cards but still a good amount of worthwhile cards.

Here is the notable finds from a quick thumbing through:

And some unopened ice age packs and a revised starter deck:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

opt posted:

I figured this thread would enjoy this, my brother in law used to work at a game store in the mid 90s and had a box of MTG odds and ends lying around. So I went through them and even though some of the cards were in rough shape, it was a good mix of revised, arabian nights, 4th edition, and ice age. There were some chronicles, the dark, and fallen empires mixed in as well.

Unfortunately no real lottery cards but still a good amount of worthwhile cards.

no home runs but just happening to find 5-700 bucks in a box is pretty nice

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The revised Starter has a Usea in I as long as it's never opened

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Didnt something similar happen with the mirage lands as well? I know for A time they made it so you couldn't use them.

Deck validation error, apparently:

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums...ing-mirage-land

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't see how you square magic as a competitive spectator game and this "I scratch your back" poo poo.

"The Browns have chosen not to take the field against the Packers, as they can only play spoiler to their playoff wildcard slot with nothing to gain for themselves and wouldn't want to DrEaM CrUsH."

I remember misetings.com had a spoof article in full Onion style earnestness with this exact premise except it was Tampa Bay Devil Rays vs the Yankees.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Random aside, is there a way to get full control on how to tap and how many times when playing an Adversary on Arena? I've been burned multiple times now where I've tried to pre-tap the trigger to make sure it taps right but there is no option to use floating mana that I've seen.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Random aside, is there a way to get full control on how to tap and how many times when playing an Adversary on Arena? I've been burned multiple times now where I've tried to pre-tap the trigger to make sure it taps right but there is no option to use floating mana that I've seen.

click on the mana that's floating to spend it

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

opt posted:

That’s…a really awesome find. I’m jealous. These packs and cards make me super nostalgic.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

opt posted:

loving Mana Flare, Copy Artifact, Fork, Mana Vault, OG Sol Ring picture, yeah dude some of those are still worth a pretty penny esp that Necropotence

ARABIAN NIGHTS OUBLIETTE??? :flashfap:

Then again I'm pretty much an EDH player soley these days, so all of these cards are playable. Fuuuuuuck is he selling them???? Could always use an OG Wrath of God.

Goddamnit a Wheel of Fortune too??? :vince:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah there's a few things going on with pro football that make it not a great comparison. For one, every player on a losing team is still building a resume through play that may land them a spot on a better team when their current contract runs out (or if they can get traded). That's also true of coaching staff, and coaches are judged in part on their win/loss record. There's undoubtedly coaches who scraped by not being fired by turning in a 3-13 season instead of a 0-16 season. When the media narrative is "the players have given up on Coach" that's not great for Coach's career.

Tomorrow, the Raiders will play the Chargers, with the winner getting one of the two remaining AFC playoff spots. However, it's possible that, based on the performance of some other teams, that they will arrive on equal footing, which means that if that game is a tie, they both get a spot. Therefore, the optimum play would be for both teams to take a knee at the kickoff.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

opt posted:

Congratulations!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gynovore posted:

Tomorrow, the Raiders will play the Chargers, with the winner getting one of the two remaining AFC playoff spots. However, it's possible that, based on the performance of some other teams, that they will arrive on equal footing, which means that if that game is a tie, they both get a spot. Therefore, the optimum play would be for both teams to take a knee at the kickoff.
If not for TV offering a draw would be the correct play.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

If not for TV offering a draw would be the correct play.

also the fact that its a sporting "event" meaning that its purpose is also for the fans. It might be correct in the narrow view, but those teams would almost certainly face consequences from the league as a whole.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Here's a useful tool: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

It's very very close to a classic prisoner's dilemma, because of seeding. (If they tie, Raiders get 7th seed and Chargers get 6th: but if the Raiders beat the Chargers, the Raiders get 6th seed.) So the optimal outcome for the Raiders is to win, while it doesn't matter to the Chargers whether they win or tie; but the losing outcome is far far worse than the drawing outcome for both teams. To be a true prisoner's dilemma in every particular, the Chargers would need to have a chance at claiming a better seed with a win than with a tie. Oh well.

Anyway if it was actually an option and the Chargers tried to play for a tie, the Raiders could play along with a kneel-off till the very end, and then cleverly snatch a better seeding by winning the game at the last minute. That would be the most amazing outcome possible, so I wish it could happen, but of course it won't. In real life, the Colts will beat the Jags, and the winner of the Raiders/Chargers game will make it to the playoffs, and if they tie, the Chargers make the playoffs and the Raiders don't.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
After some testing I can say that Cemetery Illuminator is an extremely good card, and I am playing it in Modern right now and that's wild.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

After some testing I can say that Cemetery Illuminator is an extremely good card, and I am playing it in Modern right now and that's wild.

could you "illuminate" the thread with a deck list?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kalel posted:

Sure but it's no drastic changes from my usual bullshit

Creature (32)
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Rattlechains
4 Skyclave Apparition
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
2 Spectral Adversary
1 Cemetery Illuminator

Instant (4)
4 Collected Company

Artifact (3)
3 Aether Vial

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
1 Waterlogged Grove
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
2 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Kataki, wars wage
1 Rest in Peace
1 Collector Ouphe
2 Sanctifier En Vec
2 Damping Sphere
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 Aven mindcensor
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Main changes +1 rattlechains, kira moved to side, +2 adversary, +1 illuminator. Light sideboard changes.

Strong consideration on moving up to 3 caverns, but currently staying with 2 and 2 hallowed fountains because of the sanctifiers in the board.

Things spectral adversary did today:
- phased out opponents solitude twice, once to save 3 life, once to stifle an ephemerate
- phased out two drogskol captains during an opponents boardwipe so I could swing for 6 after
- phased out an emrakul

Things cemetery illuminator did today:
- vial'd in to remove opponents delirium
- assorted incidental graveyard hate
- cast 2 collected company's from the top of the deck against 4c money pile
- enabled a few creature casts off the top.
- also looking at the top of your library is fun when you have a fetch.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 9, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalel posted:

The 5 people who still think spirits is a playable deck are playing it

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm gonna bet that Kamigawa: Siverhand's Revenge will contain a shitload of spirits. A few might actually be playable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mezzanon posted:

Fun thing I learned about Cemetary Illuminator from a draft on Arena: Because the ability doesn't target, you're allowed to look at the top card of your deck before deciding what card to exile off the ETB ability.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

just you wait until Kamigawa 2 neon boogaloo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I move for the thread to hold a referendum on the official goon-approved Kamigawa neon dynasty pun name. please submit your entries before release

obviously my vote goes to

Gynovore posted:

Kamigawa: Siverhand's Revenge

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Fun thing I learned about Cemetary Illuminator from a draft on Arena: Because the ability doesn't target, you're allowed to look at the top card of your deck before deciding what card to exile off the ETB ability.

holy poo poo

Paul Zuvella posted:

*there are DOZENS of us gif*

I know the deck is unplayable garbage, but i'm too busy huffing sunk-cost fallacy to care

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 9, 2022

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I cast a memory deluge off of baral's expertise in cube today. :saddowns:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I think this works even if the etb effect targeted, because the "look at your top card at any time" starts working the moment the illuminator hits the battlefield, no? The etb trigger goes onto the stack, but you can look at the top card before the etb ability resolves.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

I think this works even if the etb effect targeted, because the "look at your top card at any time" starts working the moment the illuminator hits the battlefield, no? The etb trigger goes onto the stack, but you can look at the top card before the etb ability resolves.

At the point you would have to choose the target for the ETB, the creature would be on the battlefield, so you could look at the top card.

You wouldn't get priority between the creature resolving and choosing targets but you don't need priority to look at the top card.

NB that you can't look at the 7th card while resolving Collected Company because the cards are still "on top of your library" while you are looking at them

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 9, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

opt posted:

A Revised Wheel is like 300 bucks now and that doesn't count as a lottery ticket?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GoutPatrol posted:

A Revised Wheel is like 300 bucks now and that doesn't count as a lottery ticket?

Maybe a scratch ticket

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

in relative terms it's the MTG equivalent of pocket change. but I wouldn't complain if $300 fell out of the sky and into my lap

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GoutPatrol posted:

Or maybe the $1500 starter deck? idk, that might be worth something. :rolleyes:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I routinely find over $2000 in my drawer with "odds and ends", no biggie

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

I routinely find over $2000 in my drawer with "odds and ends", no biggie

drat can I have some of that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

In real life, the Colts will beat the Jags, and the winner of the Raiders/Chargers game will make it to the playoffs, and if they tie, the Chargers make the playoffs and the Raiders don't.

lol the jags won, its happening

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Leperflesh posted:

Losing to the Jaguars must be like running a finely tuned Stax deck and losing to a precon. :downsrim:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Losing to the Jaguars must be like running a finely tuned Stax deck and losing to a precon. :downsrim:

whats carson wentz in this analogy

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

A big flaming stink posted:

whats carson wentz in this analogy

Tangle wire but loving up the trigger sequencing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Leperflesh posted:

Holy poo poo, tie game going into OT!!