Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember seeing a trailer for it either during NWH or Eternals and it just looked extremely generic. Nobody's going to the theater right now to see something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ebert's Little Movie Glossary has the term "Godot Movie" for films where they throw comedy actors in ostensibly comic situations and just expect laughs to come automatically, I feel like we need a similar term for action films where you just take a lot of actors people like and give them guns and expect this to result in awesome action.

Isn't this basically 70% of Arnie's career?

Like celebrity video game voice actors.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gatts posted:

Are we going to talk anime...cause...like...

IDK, is Ranma considered pro or anti-trans media?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PeterCat posted:

IDK, is Ranma considered pro or anti-trans media?

Decidedly pro, the series shows basically every possible way one can flaunt gender norms without going "oh what the eff" at any point. Ranma begins as an rear end in a top hat and eventually comes around on a lot of things, sort of like any teenage boy-to-begin would probably have some funky ideas after spending months at a time away from society with only a weird father and then moving to a city.

No, I'm not biased. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

secretly best girl posted:

Decidedly pro, the series shows basically every possible way one can flaunt gender norms without going "oh what the eff" at any point. Ranma begins as an rear end in a top hat and eventually comes around on a lot of things, sort of like any teenage boy-to-begin would probably have some funky ideas after spending months at a time away from society with only a weird father and then moving to a city.

No, I'm not biased. :colbert:

Does seem like the series plays a LOT with social and gender norms, with Ranma learning, mostly slowly and painfully, what it's like being in the other gender's shoes and how other social norms he's expected to adhere to make his life unnecessarily hard, with authority figures who are unhelpful, arbitrary, incompetent and outright insane. Second hand experience, mind. Also the author is apparently infamously averse to actually ending anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

WonkyBob posted:

Is that the one with the bullet time leatherdaddy Wesker fight?

I think that was the finale of the fourth one. There was a RE thread in CineD once and I think I categorized the movies like this.

1. Resident Evil - the one in the underground laboratory
2. RE: Apocalypse - the one in the city
3. RE: Extinction - the one in the desert wasteland
4 RE: Afterlife - the one in the prison and the tanker ship
5. RE: Retribution - the one in the Russian underwater facility
6. RE: The Final Chapter - the one with Ser Jorah Mormont riding around in a giant tank

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 8, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/thereeltalklive/status/1479844758449098753?s=21

Mick Foley’s Mankind as a murderer

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vegan Leatherface.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1480135879364685829?t=_2Vsf5uh_BRXErKI_Ls53w&s=19

:discourse:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Were they purposeful trying to riff on the zodiac look?

[/url]

Like not exactly the same, but I dunno seems close enough to be a reference. If so sort of weird place to take the Riddler.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Definitely the look of a guy who refuses to get vaccinated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dr_rat posted:

If so sort of weird place to take the Riddler.

Not really. He's the most infamous criminal who left clues for the detectives who were looking for him. Seems like a pretty small leap.

I remember people here lobbying for that take when there was speculation around the villain for Dark Knight Rises.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok but what if the riddler was also a moderately successful Texas politician who no one really likes but he's the incumbent republican in Texas so he keeps getting re-elected anyway?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grendels Dad posted:

Vegan Leatherface.

Pleatherface

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gimp Mushmouth

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but what if the riddler was also a moderately successful Texas politician who no one really likes but he's the incumbent republican in Texas so he keeps getting re-elected anyway?
Batman sits in his cave reviewing his bat crimes readout.

"Ugh, that fat gently caress riddler is out again. This time he left QR codes linking to *barf* a 45 minute monologue about the evils of social security"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I should really stop voting for that guy."
"Master Bruce, today's paper indicates Beto is running again."
"GODDAMNIT fine! This is the last time though!"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

dr_rat posted:

Were they purposeful trying to riff on the zodiac look?

Yeah they are copying that for this "low-tech" Batman for some reason

The Batman is weird because at first it looked good but each new trailer and media piece makes me less and less excited

Baron von Eevl posted:

"That tax cut will allow me to build a better Batmobile. I'll get you next fiscal year, Riddler!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

which is funny cuz if I wanted low tech batman I would watch Blankman

make a Blankman 2 is what I'm trying to say here

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it is I, the Wordler

what is 5 letters, and has no T's, no P's, no S's, 2 E's but not there?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yeah they are copying that for this "low-tech" Batman for some reason

The Batman is weird because at first it looked good but each new trailer and media piece makes me less and less excited

Wait, this Batman is supposed to be "low-tech"? He has the same kind of Über-car he always has and his armor seems to be bullet-proofer than ever before, he is basically Iron Man.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah but it’s more of uparmored muscle car than a hulking MIC brutalist tank or gothic rocket

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Batman but he drives a Dodge Caravan and has to drop off Barb at ice skating before stopping that bank robbery

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Batman but Robin always complains that his Audi TT is too small to carry all their poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anne hatheway cat woman sucked but I wonder if they’ll continue with catwoman as antifa occupy wall street figure

“Why stop the bank robbery batman? That bailout money is ensured. As far as I’m concerned the robbers are just taking back what’s their’s“

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Batman looks like it's gonna slap hard but then again that's what I said about The M4trix as well and here we are

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Probably be like the joker

“That was neat I guess” and then never talk about it again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alan Smithee posted:

Anne hatheway cat woman sucked but I wonder if they’ll continue with catwoman as antifa occupy wall street figure

“Why stop the bank robbery batman? That bailout money is ensured. As far as I’m concerned the robbers are just taking back what’s their’s“

I mean Nolan lost interest in that idea half way through the movie

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Nolan lost interest in that idea half way through the movie

What, you don't think every cop in Gotham City would willingly go into a hole at the same time?

TDKR was really something. It's like somebody told Nolan that they liked TDK, but it was kinda fashy if you think about it, and Nolan went, "Hold my beer."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean what’s weird is While the rises goes big on cop worship and flashy stuff, the actual movie kind of is incoherent with his meassages?

Like there is the idea Bane is a revolutionary that is actually a bad gut….then the movie just becomes a standard superhero movie.

Like…what

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

Probably be like the joker

“That was neat I guess” and then never talk about it again

as with many things, at least it gave us a good Jenny Nicholson video

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i keep having the urge to actually watch some of those Land Before Time sequels lmao

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The idea of what the societal role Gothams police force needs to be is one of the recurring threads in the Nolan trilogy that doesn't pay off. There's some dramatic irony in them being imprisoned in DKR and it is rather funny their only heroic moment as a group in the entire trilogy is acting as Batman's personal army but considering that a lot of the first two movies portray the cop characters doing things that endanger Gotham as much as Ras Al Ghul or the Joker it feels rather toothless.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also strange that the first part of the movie sets up the whole Harvey Dent Act as this pretty fashy, morally ambiguous at best thing that they use to clean up the streets in a way that sets the stage for Bane. And then...crickets.

I read once that Nolan wanted the movie to be his Return of the King, and it kind of makes a lot of sense in that light.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
Hey, has anyone seen Drive My Car by Hamaguchi Ryusuke? I haven’t been following film releases the past two years (gee, I wonder why), and this film slipped under my radar. He also released another film in 2021 entitled Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Both films were reviewed well and the former won a few critics’ awards. Pretentious, over-long films? Masterpieces?

(I couldn’t find a foreign film thread so I’m dropping this post here!)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also strange that the first part of the movie sets up the whole Harvey Dent Act as this pretty fashy, morally ambiguous at best thing that they use to clean up the streets in a way that sets the stage for Bane. And then...crickets.

I read once that Nolan wanted the movie to be his Return of the King, and it kind of makes a lot of sense in that light.

I mean, Bane's army consists mostly of convicts who were sentenced under the Dent Act. His military occupation of the city is shown to be a direct result of Batman's actions, both through the hardware (tanks) and the people (Scarecrow) involved.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Yeah the whole point of the Dent reveal occurring when Gotham is already under siege is just for Gordon to realize how his choices played a role in bringing Gotham to that point. DKR explicitly has Gordon and Batman already living with the personal consequences of covering up Dent's crimes because the movie is about them spiritually rectifying that decision rather than how they paid for it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It probably helps to remember that Nolan was pretty ambivalent about the third movie after Heath Ledger died. Not like he sleptwalk through it, but I don't know that "perfect summation of the series" was ever going to be on the table.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Army surplus store gimp look is hot right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kylekallgren/status/1480184719694311433