Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno haven't tried it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYej2yZCCKM

I wanted a spin build that didn't use orbs or anomaly or reversal and this is what I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuxking video guides aagh

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Foo posted:

Fuxking video guides aagh

I like Boardman21 because he has written guides to go along with his videos. I don't really even watch the video part other than to see what the playstyle is and see if it's something that looks interesting to me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Locator posted:

I like Boardman21 because he has written guides to go along with his videos. I don't really even watch the video part other than to see what the playstyle is and see if it's something that looks interesting to me.

this i will respect

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Unlocking the javelin skill, getting it to zero mana, getting the unique bident+devotion+shock boots, then optimizing smite trigger idols was the most fun I had in terms of progression in this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So does the current story line end after the desert when you kill the snake lady around level 55~60? For some reason I thought I had read that more of the story had been added since the last time I played and I'm pretty sure this is the same point where I went into the monoliths before.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Majasa is fairly recent. I think they said there's at least 2 more chapters coming? But yeah, after that there's just monolith/dungeons/arena. To be fair, I kinda enjoy the new dungeon relative to just running monoliths ad nauseam.

As far as Reversal, I usually see people run it for the passive buffs & to proc void rifts for the increased damage taken node, so you mostly just use it for bosses.

The Locator posted:

same

also javelin felt pretty good when I was leveling Paladin, but I still haven't had time to play mine very much

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I picked this up cause god dang it I've been watching it for years, and it's good. I wish I had ONE more ability button, but I think that actually will be coming with the signature ability and I also know it's just the way the game works.

But goddamnit I hope the runemaster comes in with multiplayer. I've been waiting for that class for the whole time I've been watching this thing, and after playing I just want it more.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have they said anything about the Runemaster's playstyle? My Spellblade didn't feel particularly fun. I enjoyed Sorcerer much more.

Sadly my PC seems to have poo poo the bed yesterday, which is unfortunate because work is slow and I just wanna kill monsters :(

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Have they said anything about the Runemaster's playstyle? My Spellblade didn't feel particularly fun. I enjoyed Sorcerer much more.

The Runemaster is supposed to be a "calculating" class that uses glyphs and wards to control the environment, make environmental obstacles, and create magical traps. They've mentioned a Golem too but I'm not all that interested in that, even though some sort of pet would be good for the class outside of multiplayer because it's FULL of ways to help allies and doesn't get any.

Honestly, if the Runemaster does what they say it does, the Mage could end up my favorite ARPG class ever. Focus and Preparation give it an actual spellcaster feel, and Focus does double duty as an active defense along with Flame Ward to make the class defend against attacks like a wizard instead of only being able to get out of the way. It's still smart to get out of the way, obviously, but it feels great to be able to surround yourself with magic to survive attacks and not just be effortlessly tough or have no other recourse but to run. Combined with its support potential, it's a class that I'm downright excited about and love to play. It's a good wizard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the good sorc/SB builds right now and is there one specialization you'd recommend over the other

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just started leveling this build (just starting a9) and it's orders of magnitude better than the stuff i was throwing together https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/1-to-75-flame-reave-spellblade-leveling-guide-0-8-4f/47091

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

I just started leveling this build (just starting a9) and it's orders of magnitude better than the stuff i was throwing together https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/1-to-75-flame-reave-spellblade-leveling-guide-0-8-4f/47091

I really enjoy his stuff in general because of the written guide so I can follow along. I'm currently playing this one:

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/1-to-82-fire-minion-necro-leveling-guide-0-8-3e/45834

Just breaking into the 70's now, and all my death's except 1 were just me be stupid and standing still trying to look at a piece of loot or my navel while in the middle of a fight. The 1 exception was the end boss of the level 66 timeline.. Reydah or something, who has one phase that is simply impossible to survive without luck, or a movement skill as he fills too much of the floor with his purple doom for me to avoid even if I'm not even trying to do anything else.

Doesn't help that void was my lowest resist, but it's certainly not zero and I'm pretty sure I would end up dead with void resist capped on that phase anyway. Since his phases seem to be random, I died the first time in the first 10 seconds of the fight, and the 2nd time it was almost the last thing he did, and I just layed on the ground dead until my minions finished him off and I still got credit and opened up the next timeline. gently caress that dude and gently caress floor-covering death things that require a movement skill or luck to avoid.

I am definitely hitting the point where I'm looking more for defensive boosts than offensive, as my little horde crushes everything pretty well with 650-850% bonus on minion physical/spell/fire damage. I've veered away from his build guide at a couple of points, adding extra minions earlier than the build guide, and adding some stuff points from the lich tree for +int and mana regeneration.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One question I have is, are uniques a waste of space at low levels? Is there a way to level them up, or do they just scale really well so it would make sense to have a level 5 unique at level 75?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Some uniques scale with level but most don't, so they can fall off completely at endgame if it's a low level one. But with this patch they added a new stat called legendary potential which can roll on any unique in the 0-4 range and it allows you to combine the stats from a rare item into the unique, up to all 4 stats if it rolls 4 legendary potential. The stat is weighted based on the level of the unique so weaker low level uniques are more likely to roll a higher value, but 4 is still extremely rare. 1-2 LP is pretty common though on lower uniques and can make them quite usable.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Clarification: As a newbie, it seems like some unique effects are good or important enough that they can make up for the slot, so you might be holding a pretty low-level unique for a while because you really like the part where (made-up example) it makes all your slug minions proc your flame blasts on hit, which is a key part of your build. But as Cinara said, there's a lot that are Nice but don't really scale well, so you need to turn them into Legendaries in the endgame.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cinara posted:

Some uniques scale with level but most don't, so they can fall off completely at endgame if it's a low level one. But with this patch they added a new stat called legendary potential which can roll on any unique in the 0-4 range and it allows you to combine the stats from a rare item into the unique, up to all 4 stats if it rolls 4 legendary potential. The stat is weighted based on the level of the unique so weaker low level uniques are more likely to roll a higher value, but 4 is still extremely rare. 1-2 LP is pretty common though on lower uniques and can make them quite usable.

I need to figure out how that works since I'm collecting a bunch of keys for that dungeon where you have to go and make them, just haven't gone yet since I figured I should probably have something worth sticking into the legendary cook-pot thing first.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Locator posted:

I need to figure out how that works since I'm collecting a bunch of keys for that dungeon where you have to go and make them, just haven't gone yet since I figured I should probably have something worth sticking into the legendary cook-pot thing first.

You won’t really see stuff dropping with legendary potential until you’re well into the monolith. Apparently the new dungeon drops tons of exalted items, but I haven’t run it yet. My highest character is in the low 80s, and while I like the idea of the monolith, postgame mostly feels like a treadmill to me, so I keep starting new characters instead of really pushing into high level content.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You won’t really see stuff dropping with legendary potential until you’re well into the monolith. Apparently the new dungeon drops tons of exalted items, but I haven’t run it yet. My highest character is in the low 80s, and while I like the idea of the monolith, postgame mostly feels like a treadmill to me, so I keep starting new characters instead of really pushing into high level content.

I've had a fair number of legendary potential items drop, albeit mostly potential 1.

I kind of feel the same way about the end game, but I'm still enjoying this at level 77, so we'll see how much longer I go.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Started playing this game a few days ago, just hit level 85 and I've decided it's time to deal with 'the idol situation'

I've picked up every idol the entire game and haven't tossed one yet, I have over 10 full stash tabs and now begins the great sortening.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

CubeTheory posted:

Started playing this game a few days ago, just hit level 85 and I've decided it's time to deal with 'the idol situation'

I've picked up every idol the entire game and haven't tossed one yet, I have over 10 full stash tabs and now begins the great sortening.

That is wild and absurd and good luck. As a suggestion, figure out what kind of idols you actually want, set your loot filter up and dump everything on the ground.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

"End Game" in Diablo-likes has never really appealed to me, so I'm also on the "a dozen different characters" train. I just love the Primalist subclasses so much and want to try them all

CubeTheory posted:

:wtc: lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

With that many idols I wouldn’t hold on to anything that isn’t max roll

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

Here's what you do: trash literally every one of those stash tabs without even looking at anything in them, and go back to playing the game with a loot filter that only shows the idol affixes you care about.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Papercut posted:

Here's what you do: trash literally every one of those stash tabs without even looking at anything in them, and go back to playing the game with a loot filter that only shows the idol affixes you care about.

Having a bunch of random resistance idols is really useful

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Why would you doom this game with your curse ICR

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Papercut posted:

Ah, but what affixes will I care about in the future??? Huh?????

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Having a bunch of random resistance idols is really useful

You can find those more quickly by playing with a good filter than by going through ten stash tabs analysing what's worth keeping

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Papercut posted:

:yeah:

It's absolutely this. Just create a filter that has the affixes you want and actually play the game lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Papercut posted:

You can find those more quickly by playing with a good filter than by going through ten stash tabs analysing what's worth keeping

Yeah i need to address this situation myself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The build planner that everyone uses can auto generate loot filters but I dunno how good they are. They are fast!

I have a level 53 shadowdancer that melts everything, I just rolled the first monolith no problem, is there a reason to continue the quest line (other than the gripping, compelling narrative of course)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Bonus: once you create that filter it ALSO applies to anything you drop from your inventory or stash, so if you can't bear the thought of maybe throwing away something worthwhile (but CAN bear all the clicks to throw them out one by one) then you'll know right away!

edit: yeah you can search for affix names in the stash, but if you have a lot of desirable idol affixes then that's ALSO a pain and the filter is right there!

zoux posted:

The build planner that everyone uses can auto generate loot filters but I dunno how good they are. They are fast!

As I understand it, those auto-filters aren't great since they are built based very specifically on the items equipped in the planner rather than a broader concept of what might be best for the build - but that might have changed since I last looked at them, the dude behind that site is great about feedback.

quote:

I have a level 53 shadowdancer that melts everything, I just rolled the first monolith no problem, is there a reason to continue the quest line (other than the gripping, compelling narrative of course)

If you're talking about the campaign - idol slots and passive points maybe? Though IIRC there's a cap on how many of those you can get through quests and actually more available in the campaign than you can use, so you don't actually have to complete the campaign for any reason unless you want to?

Otherwise, obviously the monolith quest lines breadcrumb you through the monoliths as they unlock and lead you to the best ones for loot etc.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^You'd be better off just using the Search feature on the inventory screen to search for the affix name. Or the actual stat's text, if the search feature is that robust.

I wish you could Ctrl+F to select that textbox :( Pretty sure it works in PoE. Oh well, Early Access game yadda yadda yadda

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Bonus: once you create that filter it ALSO applies to anything you drop from your inventory or stash, so if you can't bear the thought of maybe throwing away something worthwhile (but CAN bear all the clicks to throw them out one by one) then you'll know right away!

As I understand it, those auto-filters aren't great since they are built based very specifically on the items equipped in the planner rather than a broader concept of what might be best for the build - but that might have changed since I last looked at them, the dude behind that site is great about feedback.

If you're talking about the campaign - idol slots and passive points maybe? Though IIRC there's a cap on how many of those you can get through quests and actually more available in the campaign than you can use, so you don't actually have to complete the campaign for any reason unless you want to?

Otherwise, obviously the monolith quest lines breadcrumb you through the monoliths as they unlock and lead you to the best ones for loot etc.

You can see if you've hit the cap on passives and idol slots by looking at the map. In the lower left-hand corner it shows idol and passive completion.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Locator posted:

You can see if you've hit the cap on passives and idol slots by looking at the map. In the lower left-hand corner it shows idol and passive completion.

I think there’s more missions that grant them than there are slots, too? I could be wrong there

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

I think there’s more missions that grant them than there are slots, too? I could be wrong there

Yeah, I heard that they redid things in one of the last content updates to make that be true. I know I had a fair number of side quests left to do after capping out both of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It tells you on the map screen if you have all the extra passive points and idol slots unlocked (I do)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
the reward for finishing the last (so far) quest says a passive point and +1 to all skills, but i just got the +1 to all skills. had hit the 15/15 passive points by then though, so idk

regardless, it'd be nice if they spread those 15 out a bit more to give the last part of the questline some kind of mechanics-driven point. or even throw some affix stones or idols or something idk. just giving XP/GP is a bit lackluster

re: loot filters:

i've watched a couple vids about setting them up, but still feel like i'm Doing It Wrong and getting too much crap. Any good general how-to guides y'all have found useful?

also: any strategies for how to walk through the monolith options effectively? i like that each mission is short and sweet, has that good Adventure Mode vibe from D3; no idea if there are better/worse etc ways to approach other than "try not to double back since rewards get better the further you go from the hub"

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr_Gee posted:

the reward for finishing the last (so far) quest says a passive point and +1 to all skills, but i just got the +1 to all skills. had hit the 15/15 passive points by then though, so idk

Wait, +1 to all skills? I thought it was stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr_Gee posted:

regardless, it'd be nice if they spread those 15 out a bit more to give the last part of the questline some kind of mechanics-driven point. or even throw some affix stones or idols or something idk. just giving XP/GP is a bit lackluster

re: loot filters:

i've watched a couple vids about setting them up, but still feel like i'm Doing It Wrong and getting too much crap. Any good general how-to guides y'all have found useful?

also: any strategies for how to walk through the monolith options effectively? i like that each mission is short and sweet, has that good Adventure Mode vibe from D3; no idea if there are better/worse etc ways to approach other than "try not to double back since rewards get better the further you go from the hub"

My gaming desktop is borked otherwise I'd just post screenshots, but my filters are roughly like so, in this specific order:

-Hide Normal/Magic items
-Show Unique rarity and up
-Hide <class specific items>
-Hide Staves & Bows
-Hide 1Handers
-Hide 2H Axe and add a subrule specifying Base Item types and filter out the items with Innate stats you don't like (eg Bearded Axe, Ice Axe)

^Repeat that rule for all 2H Swords and relevant base types you don't care about
^Repeat- again for 2H Maces and base types

-Show/Emphasize 2H Weapons with [affixes I care about]

You can click "Advanced Options" for the Affix rule and add parameters for like, "Item must contain at least 2 of those affixes I selected" and "their combined tiers must equal at least 6". What that means is if an item drops with 2 of your affixes, but they're both T1's then it won't show up/be emphasized. If you get one T4 and one T2 it would show up. The idea here is that since you only have a limited number Crafting Potential, eventually you'll get to a point where you still care about items with certain affixes, but only if you're not going to blow all the CP making only 1 of those a T5 essentially.