Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

It’s certainly possible, but both scenes have a POV character we’re following. We’re with Boba, so we see what Boba sees. In the ANH scene, we’re with Obi-Wan, and the Stormtroopers are minor side characters. Does Obi-Wan hear the fake sound he made in the Stormtrooper’s brains, too?

The far simpler explanation is that he used TK. Especially after ESB comes out and Luke is using it to move a lightsaber and rocks.

In hindsight, that scene would have been cooler if there was no sound, and both Stormtroopers mentioned hearing a sound, showing that Obi-Wan was just loving with their minds again.

Agreed on all counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Kessel. Everyone knows this. C-3PO references it in the original movie. If a square like that knows about it ten everyone does.
There are lots of spice mines. Kessel is just like how everyone knows what Alcatraz is.

Alan Smithee posted:

“Illegal”

“Tattooine”
Are Pykes Hutts? If not, then that's very illegal and the Hutts might be mad about it.

chitoryu12 posted:

This show and The Mandalorian really make me want to do a Star Wars tabletop game.
Do it. The West End D6 RPG is easily available now and also great.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Because with sequel trilogy when people would say "I love star wars" it seemed to me more like they 're talking more about the earning and market penetration of star wars than anything else.

I think they're speaking honestly when they say they "love Star Wars", but what they mean is "I was obsessed with the movies for a couple of summers as a kid in the 80's and haven't thought about it since". Only the most basic universal iconography has survived in their hazy childhood memories, so that's the stuff that gets callbacks, and things like the Kessel Run reference are treated as "deep cuts".

I've worked on similar franchise sequel movies, and sometimes the director is so certain about their nostalgia being correct that they'll ask us to do stuff that contradicts the original movie, and not believe us when we present them with footage from it that proves their memory is wrong.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It’s time someone came out and took a stand and said what needs to be said. What Obi-Wan did to those stormtroopers was MIND RAPE and it is NOT OK. In this 🧵 I will … (1/76)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Do it. The West End D6 RPG is easily available now and also great.

Agreed on do it. The system has its flaws but it was purpose-built to reflect the tone and energy of the movies. And not for nothing but back in 1987 that system was a revelation to somebody raised on the clunky 10' x 10' x 10' AD&D dungeon poo poo. I hated it when Star Wars went to D20 stuff.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The FFG Star Wars system is also pretty good, but is hampered somewhat by the closure of their RPG division and reassignment of the game to a new subsidiary of the parent company making it hard to get ahold of the books.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OldSenileGuy posted:

It’s time someone came out and took a stand and said what needs to be said. What Obi-Wan did to those stormtroopers was MIND RAPE and it is NOT OK. In this 🧵 I will … (1/76)

I mean, it's certainly not hard to make that argument.

It's also how I always figured the Jedi got parents to give up their children to them to take away forever and never see again. Probably a lot of untold horror stories in the Star Wars universe from a few days after parents "agreed" to give up their children and the mind control wore off.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Not specifically mind control, but the Expanded Universe did have a legal case where a mother unsuccessfully tried to get her child back from the Jedi, who had been taken without her consent during a natural disaster.

Also, not every child taken by the Jedi actually becomes a Jedi. There's also the Jedi Service Corps, where kids who don't get taken as Padawans get shipped off to a farm upstate to become laborers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The star wars ffg game is pretty much feature complete at this point.

It's my favorite of the SW systems by far.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Not specifically mind control, but the Expanded Universe did have a legal case where a mother unsuccessfully tried to get her child back from the Jedi, who had been taken without her consent during a natural disaster.

Also, not every child taken by the Jedi actually becomes a Jedi. There's also the Jedi Service Corps, where kids who don't get taken as Padawans get shipped off to a farm upstate to become laborers.

I love the star wars EU. There's not a single background character who hasn't been named Gordy Starcatcher who was a secret Jedi and has saved the galaxy from a Vader clone.

I saw the first two eps of Boba Fett and they're ok so far, hopefully things start happening but the slow pace is kind of interesting in its own way.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Kesper North posted:

The Mayor's majordomo reminds me a lot of Weyoun from DS9, like the actor is trying to do Jeffrey Coombs

:same:

mdemone posted:

You guys are all wrong by the way. Obi-Wan demonstrates TK in ANH when he makes an audible *thunk* that both the stormtroopers and the audience hear.

As per jk2 game making distracting noises is a function of the mind trick force power.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

The FFG Star Wars system is also pretty good, but is hampered somewhat by the closure of their RPG division and reassignment of the game to a new subsidiary of the parent company making it hard to get ahold of the books.
I've read through the main rules of it and it looks like someone took the D6 system and tidied up all the gaping holes in it and added some extra die types. It's lacking the charming jank of just how bare bones the D6 game is though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

As per jk2 game making distracting noises is a function of the mind trick force power.

Audience hears it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mdemone posted:

Audience hears it.

The Force has a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

mdemone posted:

Audience hears it.

So does the player in the game. :ms:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I loved all the background / EU info in this thread after episode 2 aired. It made me realize I’m missing a lot of backstory on characters I know and even more amazing characters I hadn’t even heard about before. I mean Black Krrsantan looks/sounds like an absolute savage.

Which comics should I take a look at if I want to read more about bounty hunters and/or Mandalorians?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm more familiar with Legends materials, so if you don't care whether it's currently canon, Jango Fett: Open Seasons is all about Mandalorians and quite good. It's about Jango joining the Mandalorians as a kid and his career up until he's hired to become the source of the clone army. Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction is a fun one-shot about Boba hunting down an impostor. Way outside the movie era, but the Knights of the Old Republic comics are about the Mandalorian Wars, and while the main characters are a Jedi and his allies, there's a lot of Mandalorian stuff in them as well.

Not as familiar with non-Fett bounty hunter material, but I know the current line of comics are doing an event called War of the Bounty Hunters set between ESB and ROTJ. No idea how it is. Also as has probably been mentioned, Black Krrsantan originates from the Doctor Aphra comics.

Edit: This is an Omnibus of most of the Legends Boba Fett comics, and while it's unfortunately not for sale anymore, you can get all the individual comics digitally. Can't attest to all of them, but I recall the John Wagner ones (collected under "Boba Fett: Death, Lies, and Treachery") to be pretty fun.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was quite happy when Mando Season 2 left the door open for Open Seasons to be considered canon again when Fett mentioned that Jango fought in the Mandalorian clan wars that happened outside the society that the pacifist government was running during Clone Waes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LochNessMonster posted:

I loved all the background / EU info in this thread after episode 2 aired. It made me realize I’m missing a lot of backstory on characters I know and even more amazing characters I hadn’t even heard about before. I mean Black Krrsantan looks/sounds like an absolute savage.

Which comics should I take a look at if I want to read more about bounty hunters and/or Mandalorians?

For Black Krrsantan, he debuts in Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015) and shows up a fair bit in Doctor Aphra (2016) and occasionally in the mainline Star Wars series (Issue 20 of the 2015 series has him tangling with Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine)

There's also a Bounty Hunter series titled...Bounty Hunters, whose main focus Beilert Valance's story begins in Han Solo: Imperial Cadet and Target: Vader

Mandos haven't gotten much comic focus, although Boba plays a major role in the War of the Bounty Hunters arc

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Lord Hydronium posted:

Not as familiar with non-Fett bounty hunter material, but I know the current line of comics are doing an event called War of the Bounty Hunters set between ESB and ROTJ. No idea how it is.

It absolutely does not deliver on that title. Aside from a few stand alone issues it’s mostly filler, with some colossally dumb poo poo like Qi’ra from Solo getting in a lightsaber fight with Vader and surviving. Don’t waste your time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saturniid19 posted:

It absolutely does not deliver on that title. Aside from a few stand alone issues it’s mostly filler, with some colossally dumb poo poo like Qi’ra from Solo getting in a lightsaber fight with Vader and surviving. Don’t waste your time.
Any master of teras kasi can take on vader

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The United States posted:

"I need a replacement arm, but gently caress bilateral symmetry!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

"I need a replacement arm, but gently caress bilateral symmetry!"

Thankfully, Arden Lyn's arm is normal sized everywhere except that cover.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The United States posted:

What if...the Tusken leader is Hoar?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also Vader is a massive awkward chump who was put in armor that purposefully chafes him in all the worst places by Emperor Palpatine and his life is a constant earthly hell. Anyone could waste his rear end.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not really but go on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saturniid19 posted:

The tie-ins are mostly about getting to a point ehere a different artist can draw the same convesation from a different angle and maybe change a word or two. It's pretty poo poo overall, because Marvel tried to do an "event" like their own universe has without realising that those are also poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Vader is a massive awkward chump who was put in armor that purposefully chafes him in all the worst places by Emperor Palpatine and his life is a constant earthly hell. Anyone could waste his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I get the whole honor among thieves schtick but seriously I don't get why the Hutts didn't just send a troop of goons back to the palace while literally everybody on Team Fett was in town. Not only are Fett, Fennec and the two Gamorreans the only characters we meet, the throne room footage clearly shows that they're literally the entire squad. poo poo I half-expected them to come back to find the robot sitting on the altar.

Also I'll stick it out I guess but at this point I'd be way more into a series about the little train spider robot teaming up with the evil Wookiee and going on adventures together because this poo poo is a rough watch. The reality is the coolest thing about Boba Fett is his armor and taking that away has left me w a boring actor playing a boring part. They better do something to make him more badass/fearful because he seems like a total Mandalorian ripoff more than anything else. What's with Boba fuckin Fett letting everybody live? It's like the only thing clearly defined about this character is that he's one of the most feared people in the galaxy, and they've built on that by having him do exactly nothing fearful besides wrecking a bar full of drunks in non-lethal combat. We've already seen two season of this, and they were great. I expected this to be different.

PS I can't be the only one who found the repeated dropping of daimyo a little jarring? I'm not really into Japanese culture at all and even I know roughly what that means, seemed as goofy as Yoda dropping a samurai reference out of the blue

rivetz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 10, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thank you for posting that so I didn't have to.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I do appreciate the use of “daimyo” instead of just “warlord” for the simple reason that it seems to upset some nerds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rivetz posted:

] because this poo poo is a rough watch. The reality is the coolest thing about Boba Fett is his armor and taking that away has left me w a boring actor playing a boring part. They better do something to make him more badass/fearful because he seems like a total Mandalorian ripoff more than anything else. What's with Boba fuckin Fett letting everybody live? It's like the only thing clearly defined about this character is that he's one of the most feared people in the galaxy, and they've built on that by having him do exactly nothing fearful besides wrecking a bar full of drunks in non-lethal combat. We've already seen two season of this, and they were great. I expected this to be different.

The Book of Boba Fett is literally the story of how his time in the deep desert made him a changed man.

If you couldn't work that out by the end of the first episode, that's on you.

A 2 dimensional killer is not something you base a series around. If you want a blank slate to base your power fantasies around, play a video game.

Like the rest of us do.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Also isn't it pretty clear he is going to get into a war with a bunch of different criminal factions??? And you will likely get to see him disintegrate a bunch of guys or whatever. Though I don't know why boba shooting a couple of guys + manhandling them with a gaffi stick in a bar is somehow not "killer" - he beat up a bunch of dudes for no reason and took their stuff and killed at least 1 of them!

Like what kind of sociopath do you think boba is, he hasnt been shown to be that in anything "canon"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He's a professional not a crazed gunman.

TF2_Sniper.MP4.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I still have no idea what was going on in the first episode with the shield guys. Were they assassins trying to kill him, or just a bunch of goons hired to send a message? If they were the former, I think they'd try something a bit more than, 'surround the target and then poke at them with sticks that cause mild irritation.' If the latter, what message were they trying to send?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A 2 dimensional killer is not something you base a series around. If you want a blank slate to base your power fantasies around, play a video game.

I don't know about you but "Terminator 1 but with Boba Fett as the Terminator" sounds pretty awesome.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Loving Tusken martial arts.

"First you swing the staff, then you swing the staff, then you swing the staff!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

rivetz posted:

They better do something to make him more badass/fearful because he seems like a total Mandalorian ripoff more than anything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sash! posted:

I don't know about you but "Terminator 1 but with Boba Fett as the Terminator" sounds pretty awesome.

It should have at least been John Wick 1 but with Boba Fett as the John Wick. When he climbed out of the sarlaac pit I know everyone was hoping he was going to go "Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

rivetz posted:

Also I'll stick it out I guess but at this point I'd be way more into a series about the little train spider robot teaming up with the evil Wookiee and going on adventures together because this poo poo is a rough watch. The reality is the coolest thing about Boba Fett is his armor and taking that away has left me w a boring actor playing a boring part. They better do something to make him more badass/fearful because he seems like a total Mandalorian ripoff more than anything else. What's with Boba fuckin Fett letting everybody live? It's like the only thing clearly defined about this character is that he's one of the most feared people in the galaxy, and they've built on that by having him do exactly nothing fearful besides wrecking a bar full of drunks in non-lethal combat. We've already seen two season of this, and they were great. I expected this to be different.

PS I can't be the only one who found the repeated dropping of daimyo a little jarring? I'm not really into Japanese culture at all and even I know roughly what that means, seemed as goofy as Yoda dropping a samurai reference out of the blue

I'm going to tell you a secret:

The reason Boba Fett, ruthless bounty hunter, was so cool and worked as a laconic amoral murderer is because he had like four minutes of screen time. When you make a long form TV show centering them, you have to turn them into a character instead of just a cool helmet and one-liners.

Also it's kind of funny that in your kinder, gentler fett thesis you forgot the time he absolutely exploded a fleeing guy into chunky gibs with a missile.