Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I like the idea that there's a "Corbyn inner circle (including his wife)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Got a callback and a prescription for ear drops which took maybe 30 seconds of her time. Like if I’d gone deaf through not being able to get hold of mild antibiotics like it was the 1700s then that would have been a lawsuit for sure

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you know whether they drink alcohol?

I'm about 95% sure they do drink alcohol because of previous comments in our floor group chat. But as I don't know anything about wine (and they may be doing dry January for all I know/their status might have changed), I'm going to go with the Lush gift box idea or a hamper. Cheers all.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ravel posted:

I'm about 95% sure they do drink alcohol because of previous comments in our floor group chat. But as I don't know anything about wine (and they may be doing dry January for all I know/their status might have changed), I'm going to go with the Lush gift box idea or a hamper. Cheers all.

If you're close neighbours, you can always try cooking something for them if you're any good at that. I'd love to just get a tasty meal for free. Maybe suggest getting them takeout one night if you/they would prefer?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"is being urged to"
"the Telegraph understands"

I think this guy's been down too long in the midnight sea :rimshot:

(I'd join though if he took the SCG & the good part of the membership, but it'd be a bad idea imo. Should have done it last year when the dagger was still being twisted, there's no momentum (:rimshot:) now)

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Borrovan posted:

"is being urged to"

(I'd join though if he took the SCG & the good part of the membership, but it'd be a bad idea imo. Should have done it last year when the dagger was still being twisted, there's no momentum (:rimshot:) now)

This is someone from the Labour right's take on what Corbs is up to. What they are saying is "we can't sort this out so are urging Corbyn to go away of his own accord."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Miftan posted:

If you're close neighbours, you can always try cooking something for them if you're any good at that. I'd love to just get a tasty meal for free. Maybe suggest getting them takeout one night if you/they would prefer?

Lol, imagine helping my neighbors out and they then force their awful food (and company?!?) on me. Brilliant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The SCG are too meek and beaten down to ever slip the leash anyway even if Corbyn could bring himself to follow through on a new party

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, imagine helping my neighbors out and they then force their awful food (and company?!?) on me. Brilliant.

Definitely not company, but food is great and free food is better.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

I own at least two of the systems on this page. I may have a problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

"is being urged to"

Or in 2 years time if/when Starmer flops and the Labour right go full "we need Torby Borb two point oh for Retool Britannia nineteen ninety sixty two!"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

josh04 posted:

I like the idea that there's a "Corbyn inner circle (including his wife)"

My inner circle often includes my wife. :grin:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tony Diver/
You've been down too long in the midnight sea/
Oh what's becooooming of Jere-myyyyyy

Sorry, had to get it out there

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Your wife is more of a Venn Euler Diagram, mate :dukedoge:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
*extremely funny Borat voice* My wife

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We get it, you peg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

*extremely funny Borat voice* My wife

More anti-Semitism from the left?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

More anti-Semitism from the left?

I can’t believe Jembly Crobin has been organising games of ‘Throw the Jew Down the Well’.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I always found it amusing how this picture makes it look like The Emperor of Man is wearing flares, like Horus attacked earth while the Emperor was at the dancing and he didn't have time to change out of his threads before having the fight that led to him getting dumped on the throne. Maybe he's only called the emperor of man cause he was wearing a huge necklace with a male symbol pendant when it happened.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reveilled posted:

I always found it amusing how this picture makes it look like The Emperor of Man is wearing flares, like Horus attacked earth while the Emperor was at the dancing and he didn't have time to change out of his threads before having the fight that led to him getting dumped on the throne. Maybe he's only called the emperor of man cause he was wearing a huge necklace with a male symbol pendant when it happened.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY DISCO

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY DISCO

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Reveilled posted:

I always saw it as him having a blanket draped over his legs.

Keep them warm.

Shame it's plain though, everyone knows old folks with a blanket over their lap have to have it in tartan.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
inflation:

In 1997 I was paying AOL something approaching £60pm for internet at the whoopy doo speed of 56kbps. This included a monthly sub and local telephone access charges.
Now I'm paying £22pm (or would be if Three weren't crediting my account with £16pm instead of debiting for reasons best known only to themselves!) for unlimited broadband that is typically 50Mbps (up to 80 on a good day), plus £18.50 for a Three mifi (40GB per month) because I am scared to try and change it in case Three get my accounts in a complete mess which wouldn't surprise me, UK customer services being what they are these days.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

plus £18.50 for a Three mifi (40GB per month) because I am scared to try and change it in case Three get my accounts in a complete mess

If European travel is relevant to you, you also shouldn't do anything they consider an upgrade now as it means you'll be liable for roaming charges, whereas if you had the contract before October then I think you're fine. Thx brexit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mr Cuddles posted:

That's me. I haven't been on these forums for a long time and wasn't sure if I remembered you correctly. Glad you're alright.

Hello mate. Welcome back!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the covid thread if anyone's interested:

More numbers from Plague City, capital of Plague Island (not bothering to paste the graphs, you can go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=region&areaName=London if you want to see them).

- Cases slightly down (21k to 20k)
- Positivity slightly down (31% to 30%)
- Hospitalisations (with, not from) *sharply* down (456 to 366)
- Patients on ventilators slightly down (236 to 225)
- Deaths (with, not of) slightly up (but that number is slightly unreliable due to reporting delays introducing noise)

All numbers are for the last available complete day compared to 7 days previous.

So this disease continues to be a right pain for anyone making confident predictions as it manages to do the one thing nobody predicted and just sort of sustaining at one level rather than hurtling skywards or just disappearing. There now follows some completely unjustifiable wild guessing about What It All Means.

First of all I strongly suspect the hospitalisations are a red herring caused by staff shortages meaning elective procedures are being cancelled left right and centre - I always suspected that the majority of the rise we were seeing were just people discovering they had it when going in with mince pie poisoning, tinsel allergies, and arses stuck in photocopiers - the normal things that pack out hospitals over December. It'd be nice if they also released a total admissions number to compare.

The ventilator number still baffles me because it's stayed just *so* constant. It rose and fell with Delta but I'd have expected Omicron and its wily ways would have found its way to vulnerable people by now and be putting them in hospital and on ventilators by now even if it *was* much less severe for other people. John Burn-Murdoch theorised before Christmas that the apparent lack of severity was because care homes were successfully insulating the vulnerable but that seems wildly optimistic about the state of care homes, and also the rise in the 80+ has been just as sharp as other populations. Having said that, all other regions of the NHS (all with older populations) are showing sharp *declines* in vent numbers despite all being 2+ weeks in to their Omicron waves. It's very, very strange.

What I think might be happening is that the timing of Christmas, New Years, and return to work, which of course would see many people mixing with three completely different groups (family, friends/neighbours/colleagues) has boosted up the transmission numbers just as they would otherwise be falling, but I freely admit that's pure Just-So storytelling on my part. The way to check my theory is to track the case numbers in the South West which are still on the way up, having started two weeks behind London (pfft, yokels are always behind the times) and see if they start to drop off at the same time as London does.

(If London keeps up this level of new cases until the end of the week, by the way, 10% of the population will have tested positive since the beginning of December)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

BYOB

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1480595925227692039

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

The little plastic ampoules of fluid seem to be evaporating out of mine, which is a bit annoying.

Yeah I have two boxes of the old-style tests from about 9 months ago, now it looks like the liquid from those 14 tests could maybe be combined to make like 3-4 actual working tests. :hotpickle:

They have an expiry date two years after manufacture, yet the liquid seems to last for about a quarter of that

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Can't wait for absolutely nothing to come of any of this lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'd like to see Boris wriggle his way etc

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They've been hitting him with this stick for how long, now?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Better than their message to the rest of the country, FYAD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Yeah I have two boxes of the old-style tests from about 9 months ago, now it looks like the liquid from those 14 tests could maybe be combined to make like 3-4 actual working tests. :hotpickle:

They have an expiry date two years after manufacture, yet the liquid seems to last for about a quarter of that
The newer tests seem to solve that by having the solution already in the extraction vial, with a foil seal cap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

They've been hitting him with this stick for how long, now?

There's an argument that it didn't do anything the first 20 times, yes. But normally these things don't stick because the news cycle moves on. Here they're not allowing it to move on, and Boris being Boris they've always got a new example rather than rehashing the old one. It's not going to finish the Tories, but the Tories think it will finish Johnson. They want him gone now.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Not convinced it's going to work if I'm honest. I think he'll just bluster through (*posh noises* well we all did what we thought was right during, uh the, ah, pandemic. As Prometheus said to Aphrodite, "sic latinus Sigmund dictus")

The only way he goes is if the party throws him out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that would be the only mechanism anyway, and I can imagine them doing that if the polling numbers continue to be bad for them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

What an unfortunate typo. What was meant was 'bring your own bozo '

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Well that would be the only mechanism anyway, and I can imagine them doing that if the polling numbers continue to be bad for them.

Only if they think another leader would do better.

I think he'd do pretty well vs Keith. Johnson may be a politician, but Keith is a level beyond. He's unwilling to commit to saying if water is wet. Johnson will come across very well unless the whole media Corbyn him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less well, possibly, if he has been doing that for five years and people are tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

winegums posted:

Not convinced it's going to work if I'm honest. I think he'll just bluster through (*posh noises* well we all did what we thought was right during, uh the, ah, pandemic. As Prometheus said to Aphrodite, "sic latinus Sigmund dictus")

The only way he goes is if the party throws him out.

Why are Greek gods speaking Latin? :kiddo:

Regarding Boris; we got the leader the UK deserved. :shrug: