Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they should do some sort of review between getting all the 10k votees for a period and announcing them. There's no point in letting other builders think that sets like this are gonna be possible through IDEAS, especially when it seems like a lot of people are only building to get it submitted. I've seen a bunch of these models like the farm on Flickr for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, I agree actually. To be honest, I wouldn't stop there, I think Ideas needs a complete revamp. Too many submissions are either way too big/complex/fiddly to have any chance of being made into sets (at least, not without a complete redesign) or are just someone's favourite (often niche) IP.

As it is, the only submissions that are denied from the start are ones which are remade old sets, and I think you'd get a lot more quality submissions if Lego had higher standards for what was accepted in the first place.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hot take, but a lot of Ideas could be replaced by just listening to what the adult collector market is asking for and then delivering those kind of sets. I don't think it should take a few thousand submissions for Lego to say 'Hey, maybe they want a detailed build Castle set', but instead a global mega corporation wants random people on the internet to do market research for them so they can sift through a bunch of 'IT'S THE CHOPPER FROM THE TV SHOW AIRWOLF' bullshit and then only move forward with 1/10th of it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I would like to build the chopper from Airwolf.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Cloks posted:

I would like to build the chopper from Airwolf.

Beaten...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Ideas is mostly just a way for the designers to get inspiration for cool sets. Since a lot of ideas sets come out being completely different from the original submission, they could take something like that coral set and make something good out of it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm really hoping the Naruto thing makes it. I'd sell the Naruto figures and populate it with the Ninjago crew.

Also, catching up with some of my backlog. Currently working on the Speed Champions dragster for 76904, and the core of that build is just plain weird:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

The_Doctor posted:

Was it this Ideas set? It just achieved 10,000 supporters so it may yet be real!

Wasn't that either, but still, this one is cool too. I swear I saw one that had two of the new Black Falcon figures along with two forestmen. Still this one is cool.

Also if that It's a Wonderful Life set gets released I'm totally buying it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Finished the BMW bike

So… many… stickers

It looks awesome and I’m glad they put the work stand with the plaque in there, gonna look great on display.

I don’t build enough technic to comment on interesting techniques or anything but man there were some blowups/callouts in the instructions that weren’t necessary and sometimes where you really need another angle and they’re just like “figure it out.”

The tires/wheels and the front fork pieces are awesome, I hope the forks find their way into another bike set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More fun than a technic beam which is usually how they do that stuff. Though I guess the scale of that model would have created issues with that approach.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Love the Terrariums, Orchid, and the Ramen Shop.

Cojawfee posted:

Everything else is just a big mess of pieces that would be terrible to build, or it's just not interesting. The JWST looks like it is absolutely huge and would cost 400 dollars based on a video I saw of it. People need to be more realistic.

The Garden & Greenhouse is at least a 64x64 set, incredible chutzpah to submit something on that scale. Lol

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve wondered if Ideas might be a little more manageable if it was based against contests that you submit and vote against, rather than voting for as many submissions as you want on a rolling basis.

• Q1 - Sitcom Sets Everyone Bitches About But Get Good Press.
  • Q2 - Catnip For Humans Born Ca. 1970-1990.
  • Q3 - You Get # Part Boxes, No New Parts!
  • Q4 - Bionicle To Make The Memes Stop.

In other words, LEGO announces a theme, creators submit their ideas for the theme, everyone gets to vote for one submission for the theme, and then LEGO takes the top three to design review or something.

Absent that, I think a lot of problems could just be solved with limiting the number or novelty of parts.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Terrariums looks pretty good.

Is Steampunk Explorers just a stealth Planet Express building?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Bionicle submissions break my heart because like a lot of late millenials that line was my gateway to Lego. But it seems so unlikely that we'd ever get an IDEAS set that either brings back enough old molds to make a Bionicle (no hero factory parts) or enough printed parts to get a decent set of minifig Toa.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I really like the SR-71; it's a good size and a very clean-looking build, although I do not like the thick edging particularly around the nose; that needs a lot of rework.

Lego did a Gremlins Dimensions set, so I could see a Gremlins set working especially with it maybe being in production in some form.

I'd love a JWST, and I like that this one is minifig scale, but it's so huge I find it pretty doubtful to succeed in that form. I'm also not a fan of how the sunshield was done.

I don't think the rolled-up map gimmick for Land Ahoy is enough to get a set; it's pretty uninteresting otherwise.

Apart from Gremlins, I don't think any of the licensed stuff here has a chance.

The Greenhouse is too big and the Coral Reef is a parts pack of 'unusual shapes in unusual colors'.

Terrarium and Orchids are nice, but they won't Ideas them when they already have their plants line.

The Emergency Box is a fun thing, but I see it more like a GWP rather than a separate set.

Johnny Five looks enormous and they've never motorized an Ideas set.

I don't think the Orrery would have enough appeal.

The Dojo and Riverside Scholars look small and interesting enough that they're a possibility.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Lego is never going to do a SR-71 after they canceled that Osprey.

I'm rebuilding all my childhood Lego sets and i got the first 54 sets complete with instructions. Another 44 are incomplete:

So, i placed five different orders on Bricklink to see if i can complete them.

And it seems my collection has grow in mysterious ways when it was stored at my parents. Really random pieces like this one: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=45301&idColor=88#T=S&C=88&O=%7B%22color%22:88,%22iconly%22:0%7D The colour i have is only used in a Star Wars Geonosian Starfighter. No minifigs, no other parts, just one wing piece. There are also pieces of a small submarine, more police and what might be a big Jack Stone collection. Got a bunch of minifigs that at first glance seem to be knock offs be might be Jack Stone.

engessa fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 11, 2022

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

engessa posted:

I'm rebuilding all my childhood Lego sets and i got the first 54 sets complete with instructions. Another 44 are incomplete:

As a child of the 70's and 80's I really want to collect all the old space lego sets - its so tempting that I might have to clear some more display space and just crack on with it.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Andoman posted:

As a child of the 70's and 80's I really want to collect all the old space lego sets - its so tempting that I might have to clear some more display space and just crack on with it.

I really like the 80's LAZORS on the front of the instructions. But Space never tickled my fancy, Castle was my crack ever since i was 6 or so. I think half of all the Lego i have is Castle stuff.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
I had the yellow castle in the early 80's and whilst I loved the set space was where it was at for me. I guess that has stuck with me as now I collects the Lego Star Wars sets.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

engessa posted:

Eh, one is a combat craft and the other is reconnaissance, emphasis on NASA. There's no reason not to other than the inevitable breathless condemnations of what an evil and bad company Lego is (from the usual suspects)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Overwatch 2 set release paused while Lego ponders their relationship with Activision

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol

now do it for the Harry Potter stuff too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

lol

now do it for the Harry Potter stuff too.

“Oh, our scruples disappear for a POPULAR line”

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dogen posted:

Overwatch 2 set release paused while Lego ponders their relationship with Activision

Is there a lot of crossover between overwatch fans and Lego fans???

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dogen posted:

if this was gonna come out in Feb 1, they've gotta already have made the sets, right? What do do they do, bury them in the desert?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Literally A Person posted:

Is there a lot of crossover between overwatch fans and Lego fans???

I'm a big fan of how the last waves went to clearance prices pretty quickly, does that count?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I wish Lego would stop buying IPs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sivart13 posted:

if this was gonna come out in Feb 1, they've gotta already have made the sets, right? What do do they do, bury them in the desert?

Not sure. The osprey was recalled after some hit shelves even. I’d guess they recycle what they can…?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

same thing they did with that one technic set they canceled/recalled the other year

Which is to say, I'm not really sure, I wonder if it's worth the trouble to try to send any non-specific parts back to be reused, or if they just recycle what plastic they can?

I wish Lego would stop buying IPs.
While maybe twisting your point, wouldn't "no IPs" also mean goodbye to Creator Cars, speed champions, and any branded technic stuff, and maybe even anything NASA?

Honestly that'd probably do wonders for my budget since that would just leave modulars. :v:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
IPs are really good for getting new minifig molds made, you can say that at least

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bring back the Lord of the Rings IP imo. I want to live in the universe where LOTR got sets every year instead of Harry Potter

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It honestly surprises me Harry Potter lego continues to come out despite that line of books ending some time ago.

Star Wars at least has/had new movies and shows as an excuse.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

It honestly surprises me Harry Potter lego continues to come out despite that line of books ending some time ago.

They are still making the Fantastic Beasts movies and there was some big 20th anniversary thing recently on HBO, so it's definitely still fresh. There's plenty of sets to wring out of that world yet.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oxyclean posted:

While maybe twisting your point, wouldn't "no IPs" also mean goodbye to Creator Cars, speed champions, and any branded technic stuff, and maybe even anything NASA?

Honestly that'd probably do wonders for my budget since that would just leave modulars. :v:

Of course I am just being over dramatic but I just am not a fan of film and TV sets. I just love the stuff Lego does that isn't tied directly to that kind of thing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Oxyclean posted:

Much like Star Wars, there's always 5-15 year old children discovering these IPs for the first time. They will be popular even when the earth becomes a scorched hellhole and the alien archeologists find them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

They are still making the Fantastic Beasts movies and there was some big 20th anniversary thing recently on HBO, so it's definitely still fresh. There's plenty of sets to wring out of that world yet.

Shame they have issued so many chunks of Hogwarts in lieu of a Ministry, Malfoy Manor, Dept. of Mysteries, Shell Cottage, or any other appealing locations as a set

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andoman posted:

I had the yellow castle in the early 80's and whilst I loved the set space was where it was at for me. I guess that has stuck with me as now I collects the Lego Star Wars sets.

I liked space but castle was always my favorite to play with. I also mostly collect SW but I guess for different reasons. It's just a combination of my favorite toys as a kid (Lego) and the toys that I desperately wanted the most but couldn't really have because they were mostly gone by the time I was old enough for action figures.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Of course I am just being over dramatic but I just am not a fan of film and TV sets. I just love the stuff Lego does that isn't tied directly to that kind of thing.

I'd be a lot more forgiving of the film and TV stuff if I didn't suck up so much of their bandwidth. I just want some big space sets that aren't grey Star Wars or slightly futuristic City themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Castle and Western are the two themes I can't figure out. City has always had steady releases, and Classic Space sorta got folded into the space stuff they do for City, but I'm surprised they're not dropping a yearly Castle or Western themed set every year. I would have assumed those were evergreen play themes, but maybe I'm just blinded by my own memories of how loving rad Fort Legorado was.