Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

dr_rat posted:

Were they purposeful trying to riff on the zodiac look?

[/url]

Like not exactly the same, but I dunno seems close enough to be a reference. If so sort of weird place to take the Riddler.

Oh definitely, nice catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

punchbuggy posted:

Hey, has anyone seen Drive My Car by Hamaguchi Ryusuke? I haven’t been following film releases the past two years (gee, I wonder why), and this film slipped under my radar. He also released another film in 2021 entitled Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Both films were reviewed well and the former won a few critics’ awards. Pretentious, over-long films? Masterpieces?

(I couldn’t find a foreign film thread so I’m dropping this post here!)

Drive My Car is definitely pretentious and overlong, although I still liked it quite a bit. Wheel is an anthology of three stories and so doesn’t drag in the same way. All three stories are themed around little coincidences that have huge impacts on people’s lives but not in the trite way that that sounds. His house style is to just shoot these extremely long conversation scenes (like 5-10 minutes) so you have to be into that, much more dialog than action.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Fiddler

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
extremely jason statham voice "e's called the fiddler, and before you ask, tommy, no, 'e is not particularly musical"

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

another TubiTV classic for sure

I think Affleck was having heavy second thoughts about Batman after BVS was a panned mess and Justice League was the straw that broke the camel's back.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

dang, five thousand short

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry

Eggnogium posted:

Drive My Car is definitely pretentious and overlong, although I still liked it quite a bit. Wheel is an anthology of three stories and so doesn’t drag in the same way. All three stories are themed around little coincidences that have huge impacts on people’s lives but not in the trite way that that sounds. His house style is to just shoot these extremely long conversation scenes (like 5-10 minutes) so you have to be into that, much more dialog than action.

Thanks! It’s playing at a theater in Berkeley, so I just have to find the time to watch a 3-hour movie. Or like everything else I’ve seen lately, wait until it gets picked up by a streaming service. Criterion, probably. 😂
(This seems to be a mostly Batman thread! Ok, bye)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ALFbrot posted:

dang, five thousand short

underrated

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

punchbuggy posted:

Thanks! It’s playing at a theater in Berkeley, so I just have to find the time to watch a 3-hour movie. Or like everything else I’ve seen lately, wait until it gets picked up by a streaming service. Criterion, probably. 😂
(This seems to be a mostly Batman thread! Ok, bye)

take a day off from particle beaming or whatever you do all day and just get a whole cheeseboard and bring it into shattuck cinemas

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1480532466775564295

jenny's review was pretty good. Casting this guy despite his showing his age was up there with the 28 year old dude in the I love you beth whatever movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I literally knew nothing about the movie going in to reading that review and I still know nothing other than this Platt guy is in it, he looks and acts like poo poo, and it was a Broadway musical. Very cutting stuff though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I literally knew nothing about the movie going in to reading that review and I still know nothing other than this Platt guy is in it, he looks and acts like poo poo, and it was a Broadway musical. Very cutting stuff though.

It’s a movie about a socially awkward kid who writes what’s in effect a suicide note.

But then a guy he barely knows kills himself and they assume the note they find is his so the two kids are friends.

So the movie is the awkward kid pretending they were friends to get in good with the family and gently caress his sister

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Who wants some bad news?

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1480649398036090880

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The songs were written by the guy that did the songs for the PT Barnum musical with Huge Jacked Man.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

As someone that spent six years working in the "badlands" of Philadelphia what the gently caress are they talking about. Is it just going to be two hours of some guy running down Kensington Ave punching addicts in slow motion

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Is there any possible way an American remake of The Raid isn’t just some insanely racist two hour long blue lives matter piece of poo poo?

And no, Dredd doesn’t count.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

isn't that just Black and Blue

or Castle Falls

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any possible way an American remake of The Raid isn’t just some insanely racist two hour long blue lives matter piece of poo poo?

And no, Dredd doesn’t count.

I mean that neighborhood is like 20% Irish psychos, so presumably it would have some white people in the block of murderous thugs but you know they're going to be playing that one guy with the sick wife who tries to help the cop, and maybe the drug kingpin in the penthouse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

The songs were written by the guy that did the songs for the PT Barnum musical with Huge Jacked Man.

Gonna assume we're still talking about The Raid reboot here.

Also apparently the Dear Evan Hansen guy was cast in the movie despite having aged out of the Broadway part because his dad was one of the producers? If true then lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is this the Frank Grillo thing or something else?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean that neighborhood is like 20% Irish psychos, so presumably it would have some white people in the block of murderous thugs but you know they're going to be playing that one guy with the sick wife who tries to help the cop, and maybe the drug kingpin in the penthouse.

I mean the reality is there is no main kingpin in the city but hundreds of small groups all dealing with the main pipeline coming down from New York and there is no actual cartel involvement. Most of the violence is block to block instead of "established gangs" like people are used to seeing in the movies or other media and half the people involved are under 18 so a "realistic" treatment of this will be really really problematic.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Hollywood can make a remake of an action classic thats only 10 years old with a lovely D-list director but won't make a sequel to DREDD. gently caress this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Another one? Spectate to the Joe Carnahan one?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The same one. Apparently Patrick Hughes was attached to the movie even before Carnahan, but dropped out around 2015.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah ok.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Why pay for the rights to a Raid remake when you can just market your movie as a Die Hard In A [blank]?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Because Raid kills bugs dead!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

A quick check of this guy's filmography says he directed The Hitman's Bodyguard, The Expendables 3 and The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. So yeah I'm sure he's gonna knock this one out of the park.

Apparently he has another movie coming out called The Man from Toronto, which I'm just going to assume is a biopic about Rob Ford.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Why pay for the rights to a Raid remake when you can just market your movie as a Die Hard In A [blank]?

People shouldn't be subjected to late stage Bruce Willis

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People shouldn't be subjected to late stage Bruce Willis

When's the last time Bruce Willis visibly gave a poo poo in a movie he was in? I mean, he was even sleepwalking through A Good Day to Die Hard, even though that franchise basically made his career. I guess he was fun in GI Joe: Retaliation? Maybe?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Because Raid kills bugs dead!

did i have a fever dream or were they doing a starship troopers remake

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

did i have a fever dream or were they doing a starship troopers remake

They announced a remake like more than ten years ago and announced new writers maybe five or six years ago. Much like the Highlander remake, though, it seems completely stalled.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Timby posted:

When's the last time Bruce Willis visibly gave a poo poo in a movie he was in? I mean, he was even sleepwalking through A Good Day to Die Hard, even though that franchise basically made his career. I guess he was fun in GI Joe: Retaliation? Maybe?

Looper? Been a while since I watched that but he seemed engaged from what I recall

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Looper? Been a while since I watched that but he seemed engaged from what I recall

That was around the same time as Moonrise Kingdom which was also him giving a poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enos Cabell posted:

That's probably fair. I bounced hard off Looper the first time; I really owe it a re-visit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Looper and Moonrise Kingdom both came out in 2012 and he’s good in them. They’re the last movies I saw him in though, and that’s now 10 years ago.

Edit: I guess The Cold Light of Day also came out that year. Seems like I was seeing the trailer for that for a year, which sucked because it looked terrible. 4% on RT, a glimpse of what was to come?

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 11, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The answer is Looper. Which kicks rear end.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Was it in last year's thread where I read that Willis quizzes his directors on some technical detail about lenses or something. If they get it right, he'll give them a chance; if not he checks out and doesn't listen to them.

I don't know if that's true, but it seems fitting that his last good performances came from Rian Johnson and Wes Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who directs all that redbox trash where Willis shows up for a half-day like Cameron Mitchell and they put him in the middle of the poster? People who shoot trash like that probably have pretty good technical proficiency, as they have to shoot quick with like two takes for every scene.