Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Beast Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Depending on what happens this Friday, The Expanse might have a really good ending.

Stoatbringer posted:

If there's a "Worst Endings" I would nominate Battlestar Galactica. If you enjoyed it and were looking forward to all the various loose ends and plot threads and mysteries being neatly tied up, well it seemed like they ran out of writing budget and just went 'Yeah, it was magic or angels or whatever, the end, bye'.
I used to think so too, but then I saw The Prisoner (1967), and instantly forgave BSG. The Prisoner is a great show that holds up, but holy poo poo that ending. Even back in the 60's, the lead actor had to go into hiding because people were knocking on his door asking what the hell that was about.

bitterandtwisted posted:

TNG
Breaking Bad is probably the only modern serialised show that I saw to the end and was satisfied with
Blackadder IV
:hmmyes:

Edit: You know, Travellers (2016) was a cool show that had a pretty satisfying ending. It's too bad they got cancelled.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 10, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PeterCat posted:

It's a story with a really good ending, and better than most of the media aimed at adults.

Lloyd Alexander is a much better author than GRRM.

agreed

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Valko posted:

Also, Justice League Unlimited. Seriously underrated, better than Batman TAS.

Oh yeah been rewatching JLU and just finished S2, so many guest voices I forgot about like Robert Forrester as the president. It was odd how they clearly planned to end with S2 as the last episode was titled Epilogue and closed out Batman’s storyline, then they got another great season.

It was cool when Flash hyper punched Lex Brainiac a million times but I don’t understand why that would destroy Brainiac but leave Lex unharmed. He had tentacle arms a minute ago hitting him a lot won’t make those go away (still great.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bad Endings: Midnight Mass, somehow, despite being heavily inspired by ‘salems Lot, which has one of the only good endings Stephen King ever wrote, managed to completely gently caress up the ending. It would have been much cooler if they just went all in and the island ended up just being a haunted place where nobody goes to.

Speaking of Colm Meaney,

Good Endings: Hell on Wheels, I honestly cannot recall what happened to the main character, but Meany’s character’s end was perfect: the plot flashes forward by decades, where a near destitute Meaney sells the last of his possessions to buy a suit to wear to lunch with a former business rival, where he pretends to be successful for an afternoon and has a great time, before returning home and promptly has a fatal heart attack. Great and fitting ending to his character.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Legion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3Zyc9KnK8

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Halt And Catch Fire

12 Monkeys

The Shield

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Leftovers. Absolutely perfect ending to an incredible and underwatched series, probably the best series of the 2010s. She did go there, it's all real

If you don't get choked up at the end of Deadwood then you're more machine than man

Sopranos ruled, and still rules

The Wire was a nice one, very simple and clean.

Star Trek TNG poker game. duh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Star Trek TNG poker game. duh

DS9 was my favorite show but I gotta give it up for TNG having the best trek ending. High stakes, revolving around peak Picard and Q, multiple eras, plus it’s a great piece of sci fi even if someone hasn’t seen the whole series.

Enterprise was hilariously the worst, zero confidence in their cast or story so awkwardly tried to borrow some TNG magic and it was a mess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

The Leftovers. Absolutely perfect ending to an incredible and underwatched series, probably the best series of the 2010s. She did go there, it's all real
Sopranos ruled, and still rules

Agreed about Leftovers, but I originally thought that the last episode of the Sopranos was the season (half season?) finale where Tony goes to visit Johnny Sack, who's house gets raided by the FBI, and Tony has to run home. He has this weird odyssey along the way and ends up walking through his door and getting yelled at by Carmela for getting the floor dirty. I thought it was a fantastic ending and really "brought home" the fact that this was a show about family life and being middle aged. When I found out I was wrong and that there was more I was excited, but very quickly disappointed. I don't even have any strong opinions on what happened at the end, I just hated the entire final season.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Enterprise was hilariously the worst, zero confidence in their cast or story so awkwardly tried to borrow some TNG magic and it was a mess.

I think I'm the only Enterprise fan on this site, but I have never watched the final episode because I don't want to officially be "done" the series. I really liked the first couple seasons- the 9/11, angry Archer stuff was a terrible change in tone from the naive, fun series it was before imo.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

AHH F/UGH posted:

Hard disagree with that spoiler! Still a great ending though.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Number one has to be Six Feet Under. Makes me feel oneness with the universe.

The Wire - S5 is the weak season but even a weak Wire season is better than 99% of the poo poo out there. The final two episodes are incredible and the ending montage perfectly encapsulates the series. Endlessly rewarding. gently caress I even learned something new about it yesterday watching Youtube in Bubbles' final scene, he's wearing clean white sneakers--which is a call back to S1 when he's helping a cop dress up as an undercover junkie “You want to know if a fiend’s for real or not? Look at his shoes.”

The Leftovers - Ending the first episode of the last season with a scene of the last episode was brilliant brilliant brilliant. Hearing the familiar theme song but with the low horns was like a baseball bat to the face. My heart aches for Nora Cursed.

Bojack Horseman - Pitch perfect finale for a show that improved so much during its run. The wacky talking animals cartoon always had lofty ambitions and I'm grateful it stood so tall. Downright therapeutic

VEEP - another pitch perfect finale as you LOL forever that this show masterfully delivered a better supervillainess origin story than GoT.

The Sopranos - a spoiled, sheltered, dumbass brat gushes about admiring donald trump lol lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Professor Shark posted:

I think I'm the only Enterprise fan on this site, but I have never watched the final episode because I don't want to officially be "done" the series. I really liked the first couple seasons- the 9/11, angry Archer stuff was a terrible change in tone from the naive, fun series it was before imo.

You’re not alone. Enterprise rules, and Manny Coto wrote Terra Prime as a series finale. You can just ignore These Are The Voyages.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: You know, Travellers (2016) was a cool show that had a pretty satisfying ending. It's too bad they got cancelled.

I had totally forgotten about how insane Travelers got by the end. What an awesome show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I think I'm the only Enterprise fan on this site

Nah

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

It's Newhart, OP.

Bob gets hit in the head with a golf ball and gets knocked out. He wakes up to find out that the entire series was a dream and he's still married to his wife from the Bob Newhart show. I mean, he wakes up next to her in the bed/set from the original show.

There will probably never be a series finale as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVWkGWMHKI&t=399s

Best old man answer.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Eastbound & Down

e]

https://youtu.be/A2lrqKPa83g

If that had been the actual canon ending and not just his book it would have been the best thing ever put on tv.

loving amazing

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

I think I'm the only Enterprise fan on this site

I can't defend the theme song but yeah you're definitely not the only Enterprise fan here

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I can't defend the theme song but yeah you're definitely not the only Enterprise fan here

In a Mirror, Darkly is by far the best/most coherent mirror universe ep trek has ever had

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Rockman Reserve posted:

I had totally forgotten about how insane Travelers got by the end. What an awesome show.

It's such an underrated show. I'm glad it's still on Netflix, I'm probably going to watch it again.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Stoatbringer posted:

If there's a "Worst Endings" I would nominate Battlestar Galactica. If you enjoyed it and were looking forward to all the various loose ends and plot threads and mysteries being neatly tied up, well it seemed like they ran out of writing budget and just went 'Yeah, it was magic or angels or whatever, the end, bye'.

A CRAB IRL posted:

SPANG!

My answer is obvs Battlestar Galactica because "let's fly all the ships into the sun and become cavemen with zero discussion for no reason" makes such a huge amount of sense. Also all the really cool and mysterious Cylon metaphysics and Starbuck stuff was just "sorry lol it really was The (Mormon) Christian God all along!"

Fifteen years later I still occasionally think back to just how GOOD a way to end that series it was

The lovely thing about Battlestar's ending was that it was happy. The show was pure mid-2000s grimdark doom and gloom that any kind of resolution that provided hope or positive resolution didn't fit the vibe they'd spent 4 years building up.

Given that, the best possible ending for the show would have been to just stop after they find original, irradiated hellscape Earth. Half the crew stays on the planet because they're done with the hopeless journey, the other half fucks off into the void, setting the stage for another remake in 40 years. Instead of dancing robots, Ronald D. Moore would appear post credits to kick all the characters in the crotch as they die of radiation poisoning and/or starvation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Semi-Protato posted:

The lovely thing about Battlestar's ending was that it was happy. The show was pure mid-2000s grimdark doom and gloom that any kind of resolution that provided hope or positive resolution didn't fit the vibe they'd spent 4 years building up.

Given that, the best possible ending for the show would have been to just stop after they find original, irradiated hellscape Earth. Half the crew stays on the planet because they're done with the hopeless journey, the other half fucks off into the void, setting the stage for another remake in 40 years. Instead of dancing robots, Ronald D. Moore would appear post credits to kick all the characters in the crotch as they die of radiation poisoning and/or starvation.

It's perfect, only edit: The group that fucks off into space contains nothing but cylons all under the impression they're the last cylon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bsg was fully redeemed by the no more Mr nice Gaius line

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jose posted:

Bsg was fully redeemed by the no more Mr nice Gaius line

The first two seasons are great just for Gaius's continuing mental breakdown.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In recent history, it's hard to have a better ending than Veep. Selena Myers sells herself out to become President of the United States, and in the end is just a footnote in American history whose funeral is overshadowed by Tom Hanks' death.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hustle. What a perfect show that show was.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
X-files had a great " are not number one" anyon

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

rainbow brite

i think it ends with one of em getting brutalized during the stonewall riots.

rainbow brite was a fed

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
seinfeld op

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
ill echo six feet under and justified. i dont get people saying the shield. i hate that ending so much. he just gets away with everything oh boo hoo he is alone in big fbi office working with people who hate him.

i watched the first two seasons of this i should go finish it out i loved this show.

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 11, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

von Braun posted:

seinfeld op

Yeah, it was a dumb ending but it worked. I liked the show growing up but I hate it now, mostly because of the characters' boomer trait of refusing to ever learn or grow (which was the point, but still). Them ending up in prison, and still having learnt nothing, was a perfect ending.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

snergle posted:

i dont get people saying the shield. i hate that ending so much. he just gets away with everything oh boo hoo he is alone in big fbi office working with people who hate him.

hits a little close to home if im being honest

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Shark posted:

Bad Endings: Midnight Mass, somehow, despite being heavily inspired by ‘salems Lot, which has one of the only good endings Stephen King ever wrote, managed to completely gently caress up the ending. It would have been much cooler if they just went all in and the island ended up just being a haunted place where nobody goes to.

After watching House on Haunted Hill (same dir.) i absolutely loved how the finale went all-in with the demon and the preacher realizing how ungodly it all was after watching it happen to his townfolk. I've never read Salems lot, though, so if this a retread its new to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Yeah, it was a dumb ending but it worked. I liked the show growing up but I hate it now, mostly because of the characters' boomer trait of refusing to ever learn or grow (which was the point, but still). Them ending up in prison, and still having learnt nothing, was a perfect ending.

It's not funny if they learn and become better. I agree with Larry David on that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Prisoner. No explanations, just as weird as possible with a vague statement on individuality. A rocket flies off into the sky while a Carmen Miranda song plays. Gunfight set to All You Need is Love. #6 gets to go home.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The only good thing about that ending was the comic book adaptation where they declared it was a massive drug hallucination.
It got better after that.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
Webster had the best series ending.

It's a clip show on the Star Trek Next Generation ship.

He hangs out with Worf. It's amazing.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Sports Night

The show that was killed before Aaron Sorkin could coke-binge run it into the ground, so it doesn't have a finale and I like to imagine that Mr Six Feet Under and Ms Sliders and Ms Paid Five-Hundred Grand To Get My C+ Daughter Into A B+ College and Benson and Agent Coulson are all still there, 21 years later, doing their walk-and-talk best to be a knock-off SportsCenter.

Edit; Filliam H. Muffman paid a lot more to bribe her kid into college than I first said.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 11, 2022