Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

lol no it wasn't. whatsapp launched two years before imessage, dumbass.

whatsapp didn’t get that big in the us until the year imessage launched, which is my point. and then everyone had all the capabilities preinstalled so why bother downloading another app. and given the marketshare at the time, imessage was instantly popular - it just worked for everyone with an iphone at the time.

they just launched with a critical mass and obviated a need for third party accounts thanks to their sheer market presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

iMessage is American exceptionalism, as usual. The USA is the only place where Apple products are noticeably common and their ecosystem has some traction. Everyone else on the planet uses WhatsApp.

in Japan iOS has over 60% of the phone market.
in the UK it’s about 45%.

iMessage is rich people exceptionalism, for varying definition of rich.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sagebrush posted:

iMessage is American exceptionalism, as usual. The USA is the only place where Apple products are noticeably common and their ecosystem has some traction. Everyone else on the planet uses WhatsApp.

indeed. i've never seen a blue bubble in my life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a 25000 word retrospective on google's history of failed messaging platforms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ok, i read the entire thing. a very good article which was surprising even being semi-immersed in this nonsense. first half was hilarious, second half incredibly sad. not that the substance changed at all, just started hitting home how loving dumb all this is.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

specifically stuff like the thread title does sadden me a lot. basic human relationships and communication made into some sv circus.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a few lols:

quote:

The theoretically fun part about the Google Assistant in Allo was that you could drag it into a group chat, ask it something like "what time is this movie playing?" and negotiate a time with your group chat. This was all in theory because nobody ever actually used Allo.

The first Google app to strike out on its own in the quest for a viable messaging solution was YouTube, which, in 2017, launched a feature called—what else—YouTube Messages! I see a lot of people who try to "invent" this product as a joke, but it was a real thing that really existed for about two years

Google calls its RCS rollout "Chat," which is extremely confusing given that there is already a "Google Chat" product that we covered earlier. The Google Chat and Google RCS Chat are not in any way related or compatible. 

If you have Gmail and Google Chat installed, you'll be notified twice of any incoming messages, and Gmail actually has a pop-up pointing this out. The pop-up recommends that you turn off notifications for the standalone Google Chat app and exclusively use Gmail for your Google Chatting, which really goes against the normal smartphone interface of individual app icons.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

akadajet posted:

I end up having to use facebook messenger for my android friends because sending images and videos over sms is a garbage experience

i solve this problem by not having friends

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

i solve this problem by not having friends

I had friends, then I tried to get them all to switch from facebook to element/matrix.

now I have no friends, but who cares, all my friends are now on matrix

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i was particularly fond of this little one

quote:

Easily the most doomed section of this entire article, even Google Stadia has a messaging service. Google Stadia is (or "was," depending on when you're reading this article) a game-streaming service from Google. Instead of going out and buying a game console, you can stream a video game over the Internet, one frame at a time, from Google's computerized warehouses to your various devices. After all that time running YouTube, the technology behind Stadia is solid and works fine, provided you have great Internet latency.

Google's poor execution of Stadia seems like it's leading to an inevitable execution of Stadia, though. The payment model is totally crazy. Rather than just being "Netflix for games," Stadia asks users to buy games at full price, and then you can only play them at 1080p unless you pay another $10-a-month subscription fee to unlock 4K mode. Given Google's history (see: this entire article you're reading), a lot of people are hesitant to pay full price for a Google gaming service where the games might disappear any month now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ok, i read the entire thing. a very good article which was surprising even being semi-immersed in this nonsense. first half was hilarious, second half incredibly sad. not that the substance changed at all, just started hitting home how loving dumb all this is.

:same:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zamujasa posted:

i was particularly fond of this little one

you know this just pisses them off to no end internally too, the idea that they're a laughingstock and have essentially no consumer confidence because of their absolute inability to commit to products

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

infernal machines posted:

you know this just pisses them off to no end internally too, the idea that they're a laughingstock and have essentially no consumer confidence because of their absolute inability to commit to products

im sure theyre drying their tears with $100 bills

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

only if they've shipped a messaging app or chat client in the last 18 months

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this assumes google is one entity that thinks of its products as a cohesive set. it’s really just a bunch of people doing whatever will get them a bonus and level jump. they don’t give a drat about the marketplace performance of any product other than what they’re immediately working on, they will bail on that as soon as they get the recognition for launching it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm reasonably sure there were people at stadia getting frustrated with the way stadia was received before it even launched. the tech press is a lot more skeptical of google services these days

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 12, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Remember when the entire internet had a meltdown when you were required to have a public google plus account to post comments on youtube?

I can see google being gunshy about integration but there's a big difference between just casual posting and using your real world identity to post. And imagine the work needed for someone who needs to start a career and needs to scrub their online history becsuse they were a fascist brat in their high school years. Nice of google to insist that you use a posting identity for comments now. Eepecially when streamers have the chat on the video so that dumb comments can be recorded for posterity.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Anyways, having a million messaging apps will only cement the fax machine and e-mail as the proper way to conduct written business communications between organizations.

Though docusign is making inroads.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i remember when allo was announced and everyone was simultaneously just staring at twitter with why? and there was no answer

The Management posted:

this assumes google is one entity that thinks of its products as a cohesive set. it’s really just a bunch of people doing whatever will get them a bonus and level jump. they don’t give a drat about the marketplace performance of any product other than what they’re immediately working on, they will bail on that as soon as they get the recognition for launching it.

minimum viable promotion

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I remember when Allo launched, Google had a big truck outside of Boston University with an Allo logo, giving out free cookies and trying to get people to sign up for the app. they also said there was a “secret free concert” (don’t remember for who) where they would only tell you where it was if you signed up for Allo and got a friend to as well.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

minimum viable promotion

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

remember when Google Buzz was supposed to be the next step forward for online socialization in some ways nobody ever really explained, and all it really ended up doing was exposing people's activity, workplace and whereabouts to abusive exes and stalkers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a client has asked me to help evaluate a product for digital signage, it's an android device (android 7.1!) with a massive battery, two 7-inch screens and a custom app and cloud back end created by the OEM. everything about the product is hilariously lovely but due to the incredibly niche application it's basically best in class. i am looking forward to telling them to buy 50% more than they expect to deploy, to handle the number of failures, and no, the device will never receive updates, so they don't need to worry about "updating the software". this is , naturally, an internet connected device meant to be deployed on customers' networks

there appear to be a dozen of the same product model on alibaba because every new release gets a different sku

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

There has been an improvement in the built in google pay app. Now, it doesn't remind you all the drat time that a new pay app exists.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/deprioritized-google-stadia-to-pivot-to-google-stream-white-label-service/

google stadia is now closer to being the backbone powering other gaming platforms, particularly platforms that aren't particularly about gaming

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just waiting for the gcp instance that duplicates the functionality but was designed by a completely different team and is entirely incompatible and also has to fight fir resources

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/deprioritized-google-stadia-to-pivot-to-google-stream-white-label-service/

google stadia is now closer to being the backbone powering other gaming platforms, particularly platforms that aren't particularly about gaming

if google cares about money i assume this has to be the sort of thing they do more of. amazon clearly ate a lot of the lunch they'd like to have.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

just waiting for the gcp instance that duplicates the functionality but was designed by a completely different team and is entirely incompatible and also has to fight fir resources

mediaphage posted:

if google cares about money i assume this has to be the sort of thing they do more of. amazon clearly ate a lot of the lunch they'd like to have.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/02/alphabet_q4_2021/

It doesn't help much that the public cloud stuff is still losing billions of dollars, despite seeing solid revenue increases.

The white box stadia thing is an interesting pivot. Running more stuff in the cloud and keeping the software and content away from the consumer is an even better playbook than the javastation idea of the 90s. The IT guy just makes sure things are plugged in and the internet is reliable.

Of course, when the internet goes out, the businesses and customers suffer too. But what is google going to do? Buy out twc and comcast and finally make investments? Elon Musk internet is not good enough for gaming, I expect.

Anyways, stadia pro is probably next on the chopping block.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i know this is the make fun of google thread but it still sort of amazes me that they figured out how to make streaming games available in the least consumer friendly way possible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

google is a joke when it comes to cloud providers, nobody is going to stake their business on something google might get bored about.

whereas on aws you’ve had 13 years to switch ec2 classic networking to a vpc and they’re only cutting off ec2 classic networking later this year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

does google even know that their public image is of a bunch of flaky, easily distracted children? that the idea of google "support," in any sense of the word, is a running joke?

if you brought it up to a google employee -- i am pretty sure we have a couple in here -- will they sigh knowingly, or get haughty and pissy?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that leaked memo where they said that exiting the public cloud business if they didn't see more success was a possibility can't have helped

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

google is a joke when it comes to cloud providers, nobody is going to stake their business on something google might get bored about.

there are businesses that use GCP and google apps, they're just also worthless startups that will probably go under before their infrastructure gets rug pulled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you can afford to use google services, you don't do anything of value

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

does google even know that their public image is of a bunch of flaky, easily distracted children? that the idea of google "support," in any sense of the word, is a running joke?

if you brought it up to a google employee -- i am pretty sure we have a couple in here -- will they sigh knowingly, or get haughty and pissy?

pretty sure all the 'pos googlers will sigh knowingly

but there are definitely some google peeps that get quite offended if you dare suggest that google's public image is that of a flake, and will also tell you you're wrong if you say that that image makes people less willing to seriously try google products

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

there were a few who got salty over the reception of stadia pre-launch when 90% of the coverage that wasn't bought and paid for was joking about when it would get shitcanned

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i dont think ive ever met anyone who works for goog even on these forums. i think it probably breaks down to experts who work on their advertising platform and dont really care about anything else cause they know ads are the money maker and then dumb fucker web "developers" who got hired out of college and dont know any better cause they're children.

the former is embarrassed to admit what they do for a living and the later dont post here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

there are businesses that use GCP and google apps, they're just also worthless startups that will probably go under before their infrastructure gets rug pulled

the kind of person who chooses gcp and/or goog apps is the dumbest on earth and its probably the biggest red flag (outside of maybe ruby) when interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i dont think ive ever met anyone who works for goog even on these forums.

there is at least one in several threads you post in, i'm not going to out them though