Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The_Franz posted:

my cousin got one of those just before thanksgiving and was showing it off. two days later, he was talking about how he has to take it back to the store because the screen developed a little blob of dead pixels after bumping the screen not particularly hard. there's also a very pronounced line where the hinge is

which one did he have out of curiosity? the one in this post is like the razr, and then there's also the big ol phablet honker

either way the technology isn't ready for wide adoption imo, viz., the screen issues and what not. glad someone who isn't me is buying enough of them to fund development though because eventually it'll be good enough for something that doesn't completely suck balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

It's not flush, you can feel and see two little bumps or something. Go into a store to check it out, it doesn't bother me, I'd get it, love that flip action.

quote:

I have been using the Flip3 since launch basically. IMO its not really worth it at 1K. Its a cool device but it gets old quick and the battery life is pretty horrible. I have 1h of sot since this morning and its down to 80%, so definitely wont last you a day on normal usage.

the one that is most mysterious to me

quote:

If i hadn't jumped in the iPhone 13 on BF I'd probably get this one instead

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

the one that is most mysterious to me

this is the coveted but mercurial "consumer who just buys expensive crap without thinking about it very hard"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

which one did he have out of curiosity? the one in this post is like the razr, and then there's also the big ol phablet honker

i think it's the flip 3

$1000 and the screen developed a problem in less than a week

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it just keeps happening

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they should just wait until apple does it right and then copy them like usual

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why wait when they can fail again, abandon it, and then copy apple?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

why wait when they can fail again, abandon it, and then copy apple?
more products to ship = more projects to hit milestones = more managers getting promoted to executives once the device ships

its win-win-win

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i turned on spam filtering for my sms app... now when I get spam, it sends me a notification that it was filtered instead of just showing me the message so I can discard it

google UX!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
ARndoid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I have my first Android phone (a cheapish 2021 Moto G Play) and I'm wondering if there's a good Android privacy guide out there. Supposedly this device has fewer unwanted apps compared to other phones, and yet to even be able to use the phone at all I've been forced to agree to a bunch of stuff including mandatory updates for apps I didn't consent to have on my device.

Example: I don't want Google Assistant because a) I don't need it and b) I don't want my phone listening all the time. Stuff like that.

I want all the optional crap that's not a literal telephone, Chrome, or barebones messaging straight up gone or disabled if it can't be uninstalled.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i hope they continue to post through their journey of discovery

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the replies are mostly either mocking them or telling them to flash roms

Photex posted:

I think you want a feature phone if you're looking to just gut everything except those three things. You could also look into rooting and flashing Calyx or Graphene

:allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

the replies are mostly either mocking them or telling them to flash roms

:allears:

lmao amazing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

please do not bully children for having an android phone

https://twitter.com/Android/status/1479875457667448837?s=20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah goog is going all in on whining about green bubbles:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/10/22876067/google-apple-ios-android-imessages-bullying-lockheimer

well if google doesnt like it they should make their own messaging client!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

doesn't google run/host the RCS service?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Children should be taught early to only use e2e encrypted messaging like signal

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

doesn't google run/host the RCS service?
i was going to say no, but apparently they do run it as opt-in in google messages (which means no real humans use it since no one owns google phones). samsung also rolled it into their messages app, but also opt-in. the us carriers also agreed to start supporting it...using a separate app, and then at&t and t-mo just decided to use google messages. so basically it's irrelevant and no one uses it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
google has 1.8 billion gmail users, apple has 1.65 billion active users
somehow google couldn't leverage that into an even mildly popular chat app

they really blew it with google+, if they pushed a simple encrypted chat instead of a full facebook clone they'd probably have at least half that market

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

google has 1.8 billion gmail users, apple has 1.65 billion active users
somehow google couldn't leverage that into an even mildly popular chat app

they really blew it with google+, if they pushed a simple encrypted chat instead of a full facebook clone they'd probably have at least half that market

the funny part is they literally had it with hangouts (or at least had something that lots of people used that could probably be relatively made encrypted)

then they kept loving it with now no one uses their various chat apps

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also notable that whatsapp has over 2 billion active users with a very modest featureset. just catered to a lot of markets with a touch of care, and didn't willfully gently caress things up at every turn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iMessage is American exceptionalism, as usual. The USA is the only place where Apple products are noticeably common and their ecosystem has some traction. Everyone else on the planet uses WhatsApp.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

whatsapp is green bubble jail for your poor friends

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

does androind use sms by default for other android users?? because if so lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I end up having to use facebook messenger for my android friends because sending images and videos over sms is a garbage experience

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

please do not bully children for having an android phone

this is why I don't post in IYG anymore. the temptation is too great

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ahaha

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

this is why I don't post in IYG anymore. the temptation is too great

lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i cant help poking that anthill its funny as gently caress

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cage-free egghead posted:

If someone is considering switching to a custom OS and they want a bit more privacy then GrapheneOS is an easy sell as it just takes installing the fastboot drivers and then a web browser on your PC to install it now rather than the usual flashing methods through command line or 3rd party tools.

yeah man couldn't be simpler

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

iMessage is American exceptionalism, as usual. The USA is the only place where Apple products are noticeably common and their ecosystem has some traction. Everyone else on the planet uses WhatsApp.

imessage was common in the us before whatsapp went big

and even then your comparison is dumb because whatsapp is also american

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
when I went to Singapore in 2011 everybody on the train seemed to have an iphone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lol no it wasn't. whatsapp launched two years before imessage, dumbass.

where the company is located is not relevant. whatsapp is massively popular in europe, middle east, central and south america, india, africa. basically everywhere except the united states and china.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

when I went to Singapore in 2011 everybody on the train seemed to have an iphone

"when I went to Monaco in 2011 everybody I met seemed to have a Ferrari"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

lol no it wasn't. whatsapp launched two years before imessage, dumbass.

where the company is located is not relevant. whatsapp is massively popular in europe, middle east, central and south america, india, africa. basically everywhere except the united states and china.

"when I went to Monaco in 2011 everybody I met seemed to have a Ferrari"

cursory google searches show that current iOS usage in Singapore is roughly 25%. it could have been even higher in 2011. if one out of every four Monacans drove a Ferrari, I’d come away thinking that there were a lot of ferrari drivers there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my point was that singapore is a rich rear end in a top hat playground, like monaco, so of course the people there tend to have more of the $1000 cell phones. compare to, say, vietnam, where ios has around a 10% market share and people are primarily buying xiaomis and oppos.

like i know everyone in yospos makes 300k and buys a new iphone every year, but they are still very much luxury items that the vast majority of the world can't justify purchasing. and since apple doesn't make imessage for any other platforms, whatsapp and facebook messenger are what people use.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

my point was that singapore is a rich rear end in a top hat playground, like monaco

what? no it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted: