Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How the hell did you manage to get out of the playable area? I thought I clipped all that off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I hope you have a backup from before the chunk errors swallowed your base.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

How about Bob Vila?

From the people I talked to, he's an average GC. Not particularly skilled at anything but he had a solid eye for subs. I know he's done a fair amount of charity around homelessness. Also they report he's an okay guy to have a beer with. Norm Abrams on the other hand got a lot of praise.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

These loss edits keep getting harder and harder to parse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Human Cow posted:

Are there any more shows like Renovation Realities? It was my favorite. Two people with less knowledge than me (which is already a low bar) and a too-small budget in terms of both money and time embark on a kitchen/bathroom/whatever renovation themselves and film the whole thing.

I signed up for Discovery+ just so I could watch all 28 seasons of renovation realities whenever I want.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Development Fails is a solid instagram follow:

https://www.instagram.com/development_fails/

Today I learned about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch_Mound

It cost London 6 million pounds to build a lovely hill covered by some grass and plants that don't grow well.

They originally wanted it to be, you know, covered with soil, but instead it's just scaffolding and turf. They were charging people 10 pounds to walk up it and look around. That didn't go over so well. Next they're going to be spending more money to remove it.

Phanatic posted:

Development Fails is a solid instagram follow:

https://www.instagram.com/development_fails/

Today I learned about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch_Mound

It cost London 6 million pounds to build a lovely hill covered by some grass and plants that don't grow well.

They originally wanted it to be, you know, covered with soil, but instead it's just scaffolding and turf. They were charging people 10 pounds to walk up it and look around. That didn't go over so well. Next they're going to be spending more money to remove it.

it looks unbelievably ratty in person. just the shittiest hill.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like they designed it in the game Populous.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

canyoneer posted:

Long effortpost of a home reno tv show disaster, via @aubryeliz on instagram. When Instagram "home design influencer" gets a show on Magnolia network and becomes her own GC. The homeowner telling the story is some flavor of instagram momblogger, but previously spent 15 years in the construction industry and her father is a lifelong GC. So many red flags pop throughout the story, but every time she gives villains Candis and Andy benefit of the doubt because maybe it's weird and different because TV and my sorta-friend wouldn't screw me over like this, right?

An update on this one - looks like the Gaineses are going to let the hosts twist in the wind:

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

[Source]

Magnolia Network, the new joint venture between Chip and Joanna Gaines and Discovery, has removed one of its series from the air two days after the channel’s launch amid accusations of poor work and unexpected costs against its hosts.

A rep for the network, which debuted Wednesday, confirmed that Home Work has been yanked after allegations surfaced against hosts Andy and Candis Meredith by homeowners on social media.

“Magnolia Network is aware that certain homeowners have expressed concerns about renovation projects undertaken by Candis and Andy Meredith,” Magnolia Network Allison Page said in a statement. “Within the last few days, we have learned additional information about the scope of these issues, and we have decided to remove Home Work from the Magnolia Network lineup pending a review of the claims that have been made.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
SF's Millenium Tower's rate of tilt is now up to 3" per year, which means in a few years the elevators and plumbing won't work:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/leaning-san-francisco-skyscraper-tilting-3-inches-year-engineers-rush-rcna11389?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

The repair efforts thus far have made things worse:

quote:

But efforts to stabilize the sinking and leaning skyscraper seemed to worsen matters. Engineers halted construction on the fix in summer 2021 so they could “determine why increased foundation movement was occurring and how this could be mitigated.”

To relaunch the stabilization, Hamburger on Thursday proposed slashing the number of support piles beneath the tower from 52 to 18 to "minimize additional building settlement."

A letter to the Millennium Tower’s general manager last month said the new, quicker fix was needed after engineers identified two potential causes for apparent worsening of the building’s settlement: “vibration of the soils associated with pile installation activity, and unintentional removal of excessive soil as the piles were installed.”

In an exclusive investigation, NBC Bay Area reported Wednesday that an expert review of the perimeter pile upgrade plan found there was a one- to four-day-long delay in summer 2021 between excavating the soil for the existing six pilings and injecting grout to minimize soil collapse.

That gap between excavating and injecting grout went against protocol and "could very well explain the comparatively rapid settlement and tilting that occurred during pile installation in August."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dillbag posted:

Everyone just watch the Larry Haun framing videos and feel better about the world.

His books are real good too, if you need a super-basic instruction on serviceable home builds.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Phanatic posted:

SF's Millenium Tower's rate of tilt is now up to 3" per year, which means in a few years the elevators and plumbing won't work:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/leaning-san-francisco-skyscraper-tilting-3-inches-year-engineers-rush-rcna11389?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

This is all wrongheaded, clearly the move is to hasten the tilt and then have the first rotating skyscraper

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This video is unintentionally amazing comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph9O9yJoeZY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I'm gonna change my legal name to Hamburger on Thursday.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Enos Cabell posted:

I hope not too, I also love his shows. Just have a deep distrust of most tv reno personalities now.

For me it would go Silva Bros >>> Mike Holmes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

e: also, if Tom Silva would agree to be my grandpa that would be cool
e2: I'd accept Norm Abrams as an alternate

Norm Abrams is God. That's just a simple fact. The man has a power tool and a jig for anything. He probably has a jig to zip down to take a piss.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Looks like beatmasterj is on tiktok now

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7044524035614625071

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

:eyepoop:

Holy fuckin cock poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

So when something like this happens, who eats the cost of having to replace every single one of those? The HVAC company for doing it, the general contractor for letting it happen, or the homeowner because gently caress You, Homeowner?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

From what I understand that floor is turbo hosed, right?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So when something like this happens, who eats the cost of having to replace every single one of those? The HVAC company for doing it, the general contractor for letting it happen, or the homeowner because gently caress You, Homeowner?

According to the comments the HVAC company had to pay to sister every joist on both sides.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

HVAC company's insurance company when you've hired actual businesses with bonding and insurance.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Dave posted:

According to the comments the HVAC company had to pay to sister every joist on both sides.

I'll joist your sister
:pervert:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

I just shared this with my wife and she said “Hildie was a sadist and a criminal.” Referring to Trading Spaces. She’d use anything for wall covering; wine labels, cardboard, hay.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

Norm Abrams is God. That's just a simple fact. The man has a power tool and a jig for anything. He probably has a jig to zip down to take a piss.

Early This Old House seasons were Normie running around on the jankiest OSHA resistant fenceboard scaffolding 75 feet in the air and jumping over the gaps back to the house.

Plus lots of Orange Formica countertops!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

8one6 posted:

From what I understand that floor is turbo hosed, right?

Yes. There's a reason why floor joists are not made of 2x4s 10" apart on the vertical.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Great idea! I've got a lot of extra wall anchors and was wondering what to do with them!

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Are those drywall anchors? Can you actually twist them on like that or are they just fancy hats?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I was under the impression that an engineered joist can generally accept a hole around 1/3 of its height. I'm a little surprised that even sistering both sides would be an adequate repair. Yikes.

Motronic posted:

HVAC company's insurance company when you've hired actual businesses with bonding and insurance.
I guess the fun begins when the general contractor cheaps out on their choice of subcontractor. and doesn't adequately check their insurance status. One of my wife's acquaintances from grad school built a home and the foundation was not poured properly; the house was deemed unfit to live in. The company that did the foundation just more or less upped and vanished; the owner had declared bankruptcy, was either underinsured or uninsured in the first place. It's horror stories like those that dissuaded me from buying a lot and building a home, so I can be left with the horror story that is an almost century-old home. But at least it's safe to occupy (for now, and as far as we know)!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh neat, diewall anchors

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So this is what a firewall looks like.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Are those drywall anchors? Can you actually twist them on like that or are they just fancy hats?

Well, some do have texture inside to grab screw threads...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Like an electrical fleshlight

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bad Munki posted:

Oh neat, diewall anchors

:vince:
NICE!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

tomapot posted:

I just shared this with my wife and she said “Hildie was a sadist and a criminal.” Referring to Trading Spaces. She’d use anything for wall covering; wine labels, cardboard, hay.

Wow, that was a sudden memory.

I'm pretty sure my mom and I watched mostly because Hildie was a goddamn monster. Do you think that's on youtube? I should check when I get home.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Is that a couple neutral-ground bonds I see there?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is that a couple neutral-ground bonds I see there?

Woah mister insensitive.. Just because they were assigned neutral at birth doesn't mean they can't be a ground if they so choose.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keyser_Soze posted:

Early This Old House seasons were Normie running around on the jankiest OSHA resistant fenceboard scaffolding 75 feet in the air and jumping over the gaps back to the house.

But he was wearing safety glasses, which is the most important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Guess I'll bleed out and die then.