Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mx. posted:

AITA for not wanting to invite my aunt to my wedding over something that happened almost 10 years ago?

If it happened 10 years ago and everyone brushed it off like that then similar poo poo was happening before and has probably happened since.

Tell her she isn't coming so she can have that sweet drama she's looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hi everyone

I’m back at work from my holiday break (I took an absurdly long one this year, for once). With that, I might be a little bit slower on responding to poo poo, which is amazing because I’m pretty slow as is. But heads up regardless!

Saw this on the ol IG and thought of y’all. Gotta put on my gurglespurtsPetra pants (my rear end is too big so uh, in spirit)

Much witch love
TW

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
petrousers

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my aunt to focus on her junkie kid rather than my life?

quote:

My aunt ‘Deb’ has three kids. One died from an OD, the other one is struggling with addiction and the third one is just an AH.

My dads side of the family does not like my mom and I(except for my grandma) and we do not like them. They are quite conservative and like things their way.

This weekend, I spent my days off with my dads side of the family in another town. I did not want to go, but my dad was pretty adamant. I didn’t argue with him, but I made it clear I wasn’t putting up with any poo poo from them anymore. He said okay and that was the end of it.

First day there, everything was fine, but then poo poo went down the second day.

My aunt Deb was harassing me and my life choices the entire day. She talked about my education and said if she were me, she’d be embarrassed. She brought up my boyfriend and how she thinks he’s probably abusing me because he’s brown. She asked if I was planning on having a kid soon(with my ‘abusive’ boyfriend. And so much more poo poo.

Here’s where I may be the rear end in a top hat. I hit my absolute limit when Deb said “I can’t believe you work at the same place as your mother. That’s effing pathetic. Do you really want to be like her? So embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for you.”

I looked at her and said to her to stop talking about my pathetic life. I told her she should be focusing on her junkie daughter and preventing her from ending up like the one that died.

Everyone in the room was looking at me. I automatically felt like an rear end in a top hat. My aunt called me a b**** and left my other aunts house. My dad is pissed and told me to apologize. I haven’t done that yet and I don’t really want to. I know I went too far, but she shouldn’t have talked about my mother like that.

EDIT: Thank you for all the replies. I know I’m an rear end in a top hat for my comment, but I still will not be apologizing to her. However, I will apologize to the rest of my family for my outburst.

I’ve suffered from years of verbal abuse from Deb. She has never once apologized to me, not even after she called my friend an unhealthy POS days after she died from cancer.

I will not be attending family events anymore either! Some of you have said I sound toxic and I do not want to associate myself with people who bring that side of me out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Putting "hoisted by my own petrard" into the ol memory bank for later

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mx. posted:

Why is anyone on Reddit saying she should apologize, gently caress those people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

B-Rock452 posted:

Why is anyone on Reddit saying she should apologize, gently caress those people.

Yeah. She went a bit far, but nukes, stones etc. And that aunt sounds like she deserved it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

quote:

...I will not be attending family events anymore either!...

A++ use of the tactical nuke kid. Nice loving shot!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
reddit needs to learn to distinguish between being AN rear end in a top hat, and being THE rear end in a top hat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
OP was being neither. The family was happy to sit and listen to the aunt abuse her niece and only clutched their pearls when OP had the nerve to fire back.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Men discuss heartache on Reddit’s relationship forum more than women, study finds

quote:

A new study published in the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships casts doubt on the commonly accepted view that men are less emotionally affected by romantic relationships than women. The research used language analysis algorithms to examine a massive dataset extracted from the website Reddit and found that more men than women were seeking emotional support for dealing with heartache.

Using a language analysis algorithm known as Meaning Extraction Method, Entwistle and her colleagues uncovered the 25 most commonly discussed relationship problems on the forum. Two themes related to communication emerged as the second and third most commonly discussed issues.

“Through analyzing the language of nearly 190,000 posts on an online relationships discussion forum, findings revealed that, perhaps unsurprisingly, communication patterns were the most commonly discussed relationship problem. However, the notion of ‘heartache’ was the most discussed theme in general, suggesting that people are seeking help for their relationships online by seeking support for the emotional distress caused by the relationships, rather than for advice on specific problems,” Entwistle told PsyPost.

“What was most interesting was that when exploring gender differences, analyses uncovered that men in fact discussed heartache on the relationships forum more than women, and they also showed language patterns consistent with a more secure attachment style,” Entwistle explained. “This indicates that men are at least as emotionally invested in relationships as women, and once the traditional barriers to seeking help are removed (e.g., social stigma), men appear just as motivated to seek help for their relationship problems.”

The researchers also found that the relationship forum was used by men more than women. Approximately 55% of the users were men. But this could simply be a reflection of the website’s demographics, rather than an indication of who is more likely to seek relationship help.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If... if you didn't control for the websites demographics what good is your study at all???

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's really good for making more posts on reddit

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t care enough to look at the actually study and will assume they did control for that and the wording of the article is just classic Science Journalism.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don’t care enough to look at the actually study and will assume they did control for that and the wording of the article is just classic Science Journalism.

"Approximately 55% of the users were men" is inherently not corrected for demographics, since it's an absolute percentage. "0.5% of reddits male population use r/relationships vs 3% of its female population" would be.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's in the study itself:

quote:

Limitations and future directions

While the current study comprises a large, real-world sample, it is not a globally representative sample. Given that our data were collected from a single website—albeit one of the most visited websites in the world (Alexa, 2020)—our sample may be biased in ways consistent with its user base, both demographically (e.g., younger, male, American) and psychosocially. It is therefore possible, for example, that the skew toward men and younger people within our sample could simply be a product of the demographic composition of Reddit. Despite such limitations, our sample is large, diverse, and highly international, creating a strong starting and comparison point for future research in this domain.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

OP was being neither. The family was happy to sit and listen to the aunt abuse her niece and only clutched their pearls when OP had the nerve to fire back.

Curse of the reasonable person and all that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bruceski posted:

I once got sent dickpics of three different dicks. Did the guy think he was guessing the neighbor's wifi password or something?
Trying to identify your forever penis like picking Harry Potter's wand

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Answer me these cocks three, ere netflix and chill you see

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Trying to identify your forever penis like picking Harry Potter's wand

The Dong chooses the Wizard, and the Wizard, the Dong

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Give it a wave!"
*jizz immediately gets everywhere*
"Apparently not."

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
" Given that our data were collected from a single website—albeit one of the most visited websites in the world (Alexa, 2020)—our sample may be biased in ways consistent with its user base,,,"

This comes across like their research consisted of saying 'Alexa, what were the most visited websites in 2020?' and going with whatever it said.

I really hope I'm being cynical and there are actually multiple peer-reviewed journals and statistic websites that happen to be called Alexa.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Peg Sliderskew posted:

" Given that our data were collected from a single website—albeit one of the most visited websites in the world (Alexa, 2020)—our sample may be biased in ways consistent with its user base,,,"

This comes across like their research consisted of saying 'Alexa, what were the most visited websites in 2020?' and going with whatever it said.

I really hope I'm being cynical and there are actually multiple peer-reviewed journals and statistic websites that happen to be called Alexa.

Nah, Alexa rank/ratings predate the Amazon device and have been around since the dotcom boom at least. The names may be related though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Peg Sliderskew posted:

Alexa web services and alexa the corporate surveillance device they trick people onto paying for are two different amazon things.

https://www.alexa.com/topsites

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Peg Sliderskew posted:

Alexa is a traffic monitoring service that has been around since the mid-90s.

Ironically it's now owned by Amazon, and is being shut down anyway :laugh:

e;fb, twice

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Does anyone have a link to the one about the extremely crazy widow who thinks that her new husband is her dead husband secretly in disguise and when they have a baby his soul will be reborn and she’ll have a husband/son?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let me just dust off a classic

Nor do I go out of my way to wear the swastika

Sometimes, though, I'm just walking down the street and, y'know, bam! Swastika!

It's a problem, I'm telling you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bruceski posted:

I once got sent dickpics of three different dicks. Did the guy think he was guessing the neighbor's wifi password or something?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let me just dust off a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBA4coQFuao

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bonster posted:

Sometimes, though, I'm just walking down the street and, y'know, bam! Swastika!

It's a problem, I'm telling you.

I do see swastikas here regularly (SEA) and it's extremely disturbing even though the context is completely different. How would I explain to my parents that my child is attending Red Swastika School?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for enforcing my house rules on my wife's brother?

quote:

My M30 brother in law M20 "Sean" moved in with me and his sister after my father in law passed away few months ago.

He is the private type and keeps to himself. He goes out and never say where he's going or how long he'll be out, eats at random times during the day, wears earpuds while me and the kids are sitting with him. See, all of these are uncool behaviors and a bad influence on my children. I've already talked to Sean about certain house rules I have and how he was violating them maybe because he didn't but now he knows and still nothing's changed.

Last night, he came home late at around 10pm. I wasn't thrilled with that because he knew the rules but he said that he was an adult and I shouldn't be policing him but it's not about that, it's about the fact that he's repeatedly disrespected the homeowner and the rules...So I told him this: "If he won't respect the rules which are: Being home at 8, not eating at random times, and not using his electronics just like my kids aren't allowed when the family is gathered to spend time together. He ranted about how he wasn't a child, my child and called me unreasonable to treat him this way just because he lives under my roof, I told him it's not hard to show respect really but my wife went off asking what was wrong with me to be giving Sean who's still grieving, ultimatums and treating him like a child. I explained to her that I'm just making sure the kids won't be influenced by her brother's reckless behavior and she laughed asking if I think Sean being on his phone was reckless but that is besides the point. She called me a control freak and told me to get off her brother's back and leave him alone. I replied that she's just saying this because he's her brother but she said I overstepped and should back off and stop trying to control her adult brother. I asked her if she was happy with him coming home late and she said she was sick of arguing then went upstairs.

AITA here?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Soylent Pudding posted:

Reckless behaviors like eating at different times and wearing earpuds. Some crazy livin' there.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
what...what exactly was he doing wrong? as a 20 year old?

Like if he was bringing strange people to the house or slinging drugs sure but like... earbuds and phone usage?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

It’s common courtesy to give a head’s up on when you’re coming home, but lol at the rest of it. Man’s ego is such a fragile thing.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for making my mother apologise to a woman she called fat?

quote:

Today, I (17F) and my mother (46F) were going out for a walk. On our way home, we saw an old woman sitting on a bench. She was on the heavier side. My mother whispered to me "Oh my God, look at that woman." I was so confused, because the woman was just minding her own business.

"Look at her legs, look at all those fat. I wonder how her knees can support her weight." She said. I asked her to stop, because it was rude. Also, we were so close to her, the poor woman surely could hear everything. However, she didn't stop - she replied rather loudly this time: "I hope when I'm old, I won't become this fat."

I was horrified, and by the woman's expression, she definitely heard my mother. There were other people watching too. I quietly told my mom to apologise immediately. She didn't, so I ended up insisting many times. Out of ideas and in desperation, I went up to the woman and apologised for what happened. I looked at my mother - but she kept quiet. I was so embarassed.

Without much thinking, I said "Mom, you have something to say to her, right?". She looked furious. After a long time, she mumbled out an apology, saying that she didn't mean it. She made us go home before we could even hear the woman's response.

When we reached home, she was so angry. She told me that I put her on the spot, and I humiliated her. She said "What kind of daughter can do this to their mother?". She ended up crying in the kitchen, and I feel really bad. My sister is mad with me for 'hurting' my mom. AITA?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dazerbeams posted:

It’s common courtesy to give a head’s up on when you’re coming home, but lol at the rest of it. Man’s ego is such a fragile thing.

Yeah, even then 10PM is late for a 14 year old not a 20 year old. The OP just doesn't like his BIL and is looking for reasons to justify why he hates him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

A man so old fashioned and frail he's stamped frajeelay

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for making my mother apologise to a woman she called fat?

I'm guessing the OP has another primary caregiver because surely she didn't learn her empathy from the mother.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

what...what exactly was he doing wrong? as a 20 year old?

Like if he was bringing strange people to the house or slinging drugs sure but like... earbuds and phone usage?

I think you'll find that his crime was "being uncool."

quote:

See, all of these are uncool behaviors

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BabyFur Denny posted:

I do see swastikas here regularly (SEA) and it's extremely disturbing even though the context is completely different. How would I explain to my parents that my child is attending Red Swastika School?

One of my wife's students was an adorable girl from Burma named Swastika. It was really sad seeing her going from loving her name and even drawing the swastika as part of her name to slowly realizing something was wrong with people's reactions to her name to eventually selecting a nickname. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
I learned something today!

Glad all the debt from my research degree was slightly less wasted than I briefly imagined (although still, let's face it, pretty wasted).