Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This has been the first time the Akkala blue flame run hasn't been completely terrible, I got one stretch of storms but the rest was a long run of clear/cloudy weather. I still think it's a bad mission that's designed specifically to waste your time, but I'm no longer convinced there's a second level of the weather also being adjusted to gently caress you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

This has been the first time the Akkala blue flame run hasn't been completely terrible, I got one stretch of storms but the rest was a long run of clear/cloudy weather. I still think it's a bad mission that's designed specifically to waste your time, but I'm no longer convinced there's a second level of the weather also being adjusted to gently caress you over.

So you just waited out rain by hanging out around the lamps that you lit so you could relight your torch this time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't remember there even being any rain when I did it on my second play through. It seemed like it was a lot worse the first time. Like I spent so long trying to get the flame there the first time, and then on this play through, it was no big deal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So you just waited out rain by hanging out around the lamps that you lit so you could relight your torch this time?

I just ran ahead and pre-cleared some enemy sections out since I could see it wasn't gonna be a huge wait

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just ran ahead and pre-cleared some enemy sections out since I could see it wasn't gonna be a huge wait

Lol, that’s usually when a blood moon hits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol, that’s usually when a blood moon hits.

Actually I was safe from that (because a blood moon happened earlier this afternoon when I cleared half the path to Zoratown, got turned around on the path, and figured I'd just quickly hop on over to the region's tower to unlock the map :shepicide:)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The path to zora town is great because you get so many arrows from it. It's one of my first stops after a blood moon if I'm not full of them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You should be buying every arrow from all the Beedles and any other town shop. Always be buying arrows. Once you buy from a vendor though, he won’t restock until your supply drops below 50 and you spend the night somewhere.

Another trick is to equip a wooden shield and let an archer enemy shoot it over and over. All the arrows stuck to it go into your inventory if you out the shield away.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finished the bird beast this morning. Way easier and way more fun than the water one. A couple of the outside glide jumps scared the poo poo out of me though. I have a terribly irrational fear of falling. Every once in a while I have a nightmare about falling from an extreme height. This fear carries over into video games. I know it's not real and it's just a game and I've fallen into shrine pits a dozen times with no problems but falling off something like the bird that high up freaks me out.

Anyway I made all the jumps and glides first try, figured out the puzzles easily, and beat the boss first try because I was really efficient with bomb arrows.

So far two of my favorite parts of the game are the pre-dungeon fights outside the beasts with an NPC teammate. Those are super hype and fun and cool as hell.

I went to Goron City and ran out of fireproof potions so I left after doing the shrine and now I'm doing the maze in the northern snow area. I climbed up to the top of it but I haven't figured out what to do yet. You can't just drop through the ceiling and the map doesn't show an obvious path to the middle. This should be interesting.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Elephant Ambush posted:

Finished the bird beast this morning. Way easier and way more fun than the water one. A couple of the outside glide jumps scared the poo poo out of me though. I have a terribly irrational fear of falling. Every once in a while I have a nightmare about falling from an extreme height. This fear carries over into video games. I know it's not real and it's just a game and I've fallen into shrine pits a dozen times with no problems but falling off something like the bird that high up freaks me out.

Anyway I made all the jumps and glides first try, figured out the puzzles easily, and beat the boss first try because I was really efficient with bomb arrows.

So far two of my favorite parts of the game are the pre-dungeon fights outside the beasts with an NPC teammate. Those are super hype and fun and cool as hell.

I went to Goron City and ran out of fireproof potions so I left after doing the shrine and now I'm doing the maze in the northern snow area. I climbed up to the top of it but I haven't figured out what to do yet. You can't just drop through the ceiling and the map doesn't show an obvious path to the middle. This should be interesting.

The labyrinth has some passages that aren't visible on the map due to having ceilings/walls that pass over them.

Also you can acquire fireproof clothing either for money in goron city or one piece for a sidequest at the mine on the way up, then you don't need to worry about the potions (generally).

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 11, 2022

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm surprised to hear anyone say it wasn't raining when they did that blue flame poo poo. i swear it's raining every single time i get to that point. i honestly thought it was hard coded

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just do the labyrinths by walking in the front door and making your way through it normally, don’t try and climb to the top and skip over sections.

At least on a first play through.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Can you carry a torch while riding a horse?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’m pretty sure you can

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yes, and only a fool does the akkala ancient lab blue flame quest without a horse and/or motorcycle. the lantern path that leads south from the furnace is perfect for riding a horse along and it'll take like two minutes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember rain being a problem for my blue flame run...?

Amppelix posted:

yes, and only a fool does the akkala ancient lab blue flame quest without a horse and/or motorcycle.

I had a bitchin' rad speed potion I brewed so I just blitzed by all the enemies.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

Just do the labyrinths by walking in the front door and making your way through it normally, don’t try and climb to the top and skip over sections.

At least on a first play through.

LOL no way

I'm cheesing everything as much as possible because it's fun. Killing all the enemies by raining down bombs all over them and they just run back and forth like Smurfs when Gargamel attacks. I'll get to the shrine in the middle eventually but I want all the loot first.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I hate the implementation of horses in this game, so I never have one around for the blue flame run. It'd take more time to track one down and bring it there for a single use than it would save for the run itself.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hate the implementation of horses in this game, so I never have one around for the blue flame run. It'd take more time to track one down and bring it there for a single use than it would save for the run itself.

There’s a stable right next to the akkala lab :psyduck:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triskelli posted:

There’s a stable right next to the akkala lab :psyduck:

What I mean is, I don't have a horse and haven't registered one at a stable because I can't be bothered to deal with them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Captain Hygiene posted:

What I mean is, I don't have a horse and haven't registered one at a stable because I can't be bothered to deal with them.

The ancient saddle makes horses less of a pain. The music when riding on a horse is very tranquil

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Horses aren't great anyway. Most of the time when I want to go somewhere new I teleport to the nearest high point and paraglide towards my destination then walk the rest of the way.

There are definitely areas where it's worth taking a horse but so far in my experience it's not often.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

The stable south of Lake Hylia has a field full of horses right next to it though...

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Just windbomb everywhere imo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The way horses work in BOTW was a huge disappointment. So used to other games where you can whistle for your horse to appear wherever you are but they decided to make it like a GTA game where you have to go to one of your garages to get a saved car.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just never use horses because its so fun to run, climb and fly everywhere

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It was Nintendo‘s first attempt at making a massive open world exploration game. Considering everything they got right, it’s easy to forgive some quirkiness with the horses.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I mean, is it ever really your horse? Like, can you really own a digital representation of a horse?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cattail Prophet posted:

The stable south of Lake Hylia has a field full of horses right next to it though...

I think they mean that taming a horse is time consuming and annoying and not fun.

I found it worthwhile early on and I stumbled across the white horse right after getting the quest to tame it so I got that one and use it when it seems useful.

I named my white horse Laid Back because of that song from the 80s and that song has been stuck in my head all week. Still a good song after all these years.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I used horses all the time and found them very convenient. The lack of a horse teleport made them feel much more real and brought a sense of physicality to the map, as many of my trips would begin at stables (and I felt relieved whenever I found a new stable). I have clear memories of the paths and roads of the map, whereas places like Death Mountain are only faintly remembered years later.

I wonder if there is a connection between forgoing horse-riding and being aggrieved when it rains.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I liked taming horses and giving them silly names and accessorizing them with saddles and braiding their mane and tail in pretty colors.

I wish I could have had more horses. I also wish that the weird color horses weren't fixed to have the worst stats, because drat it I love the pink and white piebald horses but their stats are always terrible. :(

In addition to the usual horses, I had Wyld Stallyn the black horse who I dressed up in knight armor, and I brown horse I dressed up in the fanciest bridle and saddle I could find and braided flowers in her mane. I named her Roach.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cartoon Man posted:

It was Nintendo‘s first attempt at making a massive open world exploration game. Considering everything they got right, it’s easy to forgive some quirkiness with the horses.

This makes it sound like a mistake but I know that lots of players felt like this:

nrook posted:

The lack of a horse teleport made them feel much more real and brought a sense of physicality to the map, as many of my trips would begin at stables (and I felt relieved whenever I found a new stable).

...and I figure Nintendo was intentionally going for exactly this feeling. This isn't a goof by Nintendo as if they were unaware of other games with whistle mount teleport, they made a design choice and it's just not for me. Nothing to "forgive" just a difference of opinion.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

superjew posted:

I mean, is it ever really your horse? Like, can you really own a digital representation of a horse?

Horses? No

Apes? Yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you use the ancient saddle there is a horse teleport :)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The easiest way to train a horse to max is to put five apples in your hand and hold it near the horse and it’ll eat them. After 10-15 apples you have maxed the horse in like 20 seconds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just don't like how the horses *feel* in this game, they feel like lumbering city buses that make traversal clunkier and less fun even if they're technically faster than running around on foot. I don't know if they're different in past games, or if I've just played enough other games with more agile horseriding now that the Zelda horse style just doesn't work for me any more.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really wish the ancient bridle and saddle weren’t so butt-ugly. One of the two big flaws of the game imo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

superjew posted:

I own an NFT of Epona so nobody else can have that horse but me.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just don't like how the horses *feel* in this game, they feel like lumbering city buses that make traversal clunkier and less fun even if they're technically faster than running around on foot. I don't know if they're different in past games, or if I've just played enough other games with more agile horseriding now that the Zelda horse style just doesn't work for me any more.

This pretty accurately sums up how I felt about BotW horses, I tried an actual horse once for the quest and then tried a bear just to see if the game would allow it, other than that I traverse entirely by foot or motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The worst thing about horses in the game is the character limit on the naming mechanic. I can't name a horse with just 9 characters or whatever. Shameful.