Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Should I be terrified that govt of Ontario press briefings are back to “minister on a 2008 era web cam at home” style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Should I be terrified that govt of Ontario press briefings are back to “minister on a 2008 era web cam at home” style?

"We don't need 1080p, we can save the taxpayer 720p by using 360p. Efficiency!" - Ontario press briefing team

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

I do that except it still fogs up glasses if I'm wearing them, just at different rates depending on the mask and how I shape the nose bar. So I would definitely find some kind of fit testing with a variety of masks useful.

I have a bunch of the Powecom KN95s (Mask Nerd gives them around 97% filtration so they're supposed to be legit) and they still fog up my glasses (it's hard to get them to fit right on my exact nose/cheek shape), but I was heartened to learn recently that that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't working.

quote:

My glasses fog up when I wear the N95. Does this mean that it is not working properly?

Not necessarily, provided that you have been fit-tested and passed on that model, and that you have performed a user seal check immediately after donning the N95. When we breathe out, the inside of the N95 becomes positively pressurized. This means that the pressure inside the N95 will be greater than the surrounding air, and the air from inside will rush out. A large majority will pass directly through the material, but some may go around the outside of the N95.

When you breathe in however, the inside of the N95 becomes negatively pressurized. As a result, the N95 will collapse closer to your face and incoming air is forced to enter through the material.

The air we breathe out is warm and moist, and a small amount can fog up glasses. If you find your glasses tend to fog up, try adjusting them prior to entering an isolation area. You may also find it helpful to put antifog solution on the lenses to prevent them from fogging up.

If you wore your glasses during your fit-test, you probably noticed them fog up at that time as well. If you passed your fit-test, this will have demonstrated that even though they fogged up, the N95 provided sufficient respiratory protection.

https://med-fom-pediatrics.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2015/04/Respiratory-Protection-Program-FAQ142.pdf

Definitely gives me more peace of mind than wearing the cloth masks I wore before getting these.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

InfiniteZero posted:

"We don't need 1080p, we can save the taxpayer 720p by using 360p. Efficiency!" - Ontario press briefing team

Nothing will ever be worse than Dion's loving press briefing on the coalition plans, it looked like a terrorist demand video from a cave somewhere

I will be eternally mad at the liberal right-wingers for loving that up so bad

edit: actually reading up on it, it was mainly Ignatieff who torpedoed the coalition, Bob Rae and Dion were still very much for it. What a loving prick that guy was.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2022

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol Legault just announced a tax for the unvaccinated in Quebec.

Get ready forrrrrrrr thheeeee ssssshhhhhiitttttsssshhhooowwwww

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
:laffo:

quote:

The premier said the unvaccinated "will have a bill to pay because there are consequences on our health-care network and it's not up to all Quebecers to pay for this."

This is awesome. 2022 is awesome.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is a door I would prefer not be opened. To my mind, it's better to just mandate the vaccine in order to do anything outside your house.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I mean a mandate ends up looking like restrictions on locations, which Quebec is pretty much out of (zero chance they restrict grocery stores), or a fine, which is going to work out the same as a tax anyway. There's no "the army comes and shoves a needle in your arm" option.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Alctel posted:

Nothing will ever be worse than Dion's loving press briefing on the coalition plans, it looked like a terrorist demand video from a cave somewhere

Well, arguably...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

This is a door I would prefer not be opened. To my mind, it's better to just mandate the vaccine in order to do anything outside your house.

Cigarette tax worked. Or make it so they need vaccine to buy cigs. Either way

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you're unvaccinated, all government services are provided in the wrong language, and you must wear a hijab to enter public property.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
If you're not vaccinated, you have to learn how to properly administer injections, and do community service giving other people vaccinations.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
It's in french, but

https://www.lapresse.ca/covid-19/2022-01-11/non-les-personnes-non-vaccinees-ne-sont-pas-toutes-antivaccins.php

While tons of unvaccinated are chud antivaxxers, a similarly large amount of hospitalized unvaccinated are people who are unable to access vaccines due to not speaking either official language, being unfamiliar with computers & smartphones, etc. I don't know, this is the kind of decision like the one that led to homeless people getting handed tickets for breaking curfew last year: punishing people who don't necessarily deserve punishment.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

really impressive what they are willing to do instead of just investing in the healthcare system or giving nurses a raise. This is going to backfire so loving bad lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Apologies if I missed it earlier, but where are Canadian goons ordering N95 masks from?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Only ones I could find are here: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/workhorse-n95-approved-disposable-respirator-3-pack/1001627716

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I grabbed a pre-order for a box from Canada Strong (terrible name imo)
https://canadastrongmasks.ca/collections/all-canada-strong-face-mask-products

Got the Drager ones but the whole selection is constantly rotating in and out of stock so whatever you can get is fine. Shipping a bit expensive but still works out to <$3 per mask.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Apologies if I missed it earlier, but where are Canadian goons ordering N95 masks from?

I've ordered both my boxes (roughly a year apart) of N95s from bonafidemasks.com. They're super reputable and extremely competent, with the head of the company personally responding to customer concerns and so forth. Located in New York state in the US, so it takes a little longer due to customs, but that's the only downside, and it's a small one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Aoi posted:

I've ordered both my boxes (roughly a year apart) of N95s from bonafidemasks.com. They're super reputable and extremely competent, with the head of the company personally responding to customer concerns and so forth. Located in New York state in the US, so it takes a little longer due to customs, but that's the only downside, and it's a small one.

I'm located in the US at the moment but this is where I got my genuine KN95s as well, so if they ship to Canada then they're a good option.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

There's a long thread on redflagdeals for 3M Auras, which seem to be on backorder everywhere now but there are suggestions for alternatives.

vyelkin posted:

I have a bunch of the Powecom KN95s (Mask Nerd gives them around 97% filtration so they're supposed to be legit) and they still fog up my glasses (it's hard to get them to fit right on my exact nose/cheek shape), but I was heartened to learn recently that that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't working.

Definitely gives me more peace of mind than wearing the cloth masks I wore before getting these.

This seems odd to me - if the fogging is from water vapour you're exhaling, then surely that means the mask isn't filtering properly? If the mask is working properly, then it must be condensation of ambient vapour from your own warm exhaust.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Have I got this correct?

In order to not mandate the vaccine, they are going implement a tax on the unvaccinated which is going to create a cottage industry of forged out of province vaccination certs? Since this will be tax evasion, the enforcement of which has to be equal or greater cost than the enforcement any mandate might have been?

Neoliberalism is just brain worms top to bottom.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Cangard is excellent to deal with.

Vitacore is supposedly good but they're very slow to ship.

Costco has Honeywell n95s that fit big fat heads pretty good and are reasonable quality

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

There's a long thread on redflagdeals for 3M Auras, which seem to be on backorder everywhere now but there are suggestions for alternatives.

This seems odd to me - if the fogging is from water vapour you're exhaling, then surely that means the mask isn't filtering properly? If the mask is working properly, then it must be condensation of ambient vapour from your own warm exhaust.

If your breath is rising up through the filter you can still catch a little on your glasses. A little bit of fog doesn't necessarily mean you have a leak

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

fartman posted:

It's in french, but

https://www.lapresse.ca/covid-19/2022-01-11/non-les-personnes-non-vaccinees-ne-sont-pas-toutes-antivaccins.php

While tons of unvaccinated are chud antivaxxers, a similarly large amount of hospitalized unvaccinated are people who are unable to access vaccines due to not speaking either official language, being unfamiliar with computers & smartphones, etc. I don't know, this is the kind of decision like the one that led to homeless people getting handed tickets for breaking curfew last year: punishing people who don't necessarily deserve punishment.

Nah gently caress that, Vacchstoßlegende!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

stab posted:

Lol Legault just announced a tax for the unvaccinated in Quebec.

Get ready forrrrrrrr thheeeee ssssshhhhhiitttttsssshhhooowwwww

I do not at all like the precedent this sets.

Has anything like this been done before in Canada? Take a medicine or else pay a fine?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 44 hours!)

Count Roland posted:

Has anything like this been done before in Canada? Take a medicine or else pay a fine?

I'm totally fine with mandatory vaccination.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

It'll be offset by the money they save from also not going to restaurants, theatres, gyms, etc, I don't get the big deal.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Count Roland posted:

Sin taxes on cigarettes were basically the same measure with fewer steps, and they worked great until people started getting shot

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It'll be offset by the money they save from also not going to restaurants, theatres, gyms, etc, I don't get the big deal.

Assuming any of those places are enforcing vaccination card checks very well. I don't know if a 16 year old popcorn slinger should be burdened with ensuring public safety at the new Spiderman movie in the first place.

My favourite personal vaccination card anecdote is the lady who asked to see my card and then stared very intently at the QR code, as if she was verifying its authenticity with her Terminator vision, which as we know most employees at sandwich shops are likely to have.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Count Roland posted:

We tax people with wombs for having them so yes

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

I got mine from Vitacore. You have to basically preorder, but they arrived in Ontario within a few days of their actual ship date. https://shop.vitacore.ca

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

My reading of that UBC explainer is that when you exhale the pressure buildup inside the mask forces most of the air out through the filter, but can also push the mask out enough that some of it slips through around the edges. If it's slipping through around your nose, it can fog up glasses. But when you stop exhaling and the mask settles back onto your face again, and then inhale creating negative pressure within the mask, it pulls it back onto your face and creates a tighter seal than when you were exhaling, forcing air to come in through the filter. So you can have gaps at the edge of the mask when exhaling that aren't there anymore when inhaling, because of the pressure difference between inhalation and exhalation, and that process can mean that the mask is filtering incoming air at the level it's expected to even if some air escapes around the edges when you exhale.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
lol at that point, what's the harm in using a respirator

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Thank you!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

vyelkin posted:

My reading of that UBC explainer is that when you exhale the pressure buildup inside the mask forces most of the air out through the filter, but can also push the mask out enough that some of it slips through around the edges. If it's slipping through around your nose, it can fog up glasses. But when you stop exhaling and the mask settles back onto your face again, and then inhale creating negative pressure within the mask, it pulls it back onto your face and creates a tighter seal than when you were exhaling, forcing air to come in through the filter. So you can have gaps at the edge of the mask when exhaling that aren't there anymore when inhaling, because of the pressure difference between inhalation and exhalation, and that process can mean that the mask is filtering incoming air at the level it's expected to even if some air escapes around the edges when you exhale.

That implies that you could be exhaling virions around the mask if you're infected, though, which isn't great. But fine, I take the point that this is still considerably better than nothing.

Incidentally, I've tried 3M 8511 masks as well (with an exhalation valve), and they're great around the home for cleaning dusty poo poo (literally cat litter, for example). But with the valve taped closed, it's still not sealing tightly around the nose when exhaling. Comparing that to a random ear loop KN95 I have that folds flat but therefore has a very pointy nose bar that's hard to round out, well, with that one I can feel my breath flowing down the bottom and over my neck when I exhale, not just over my eyes.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol at that point, what's the harm in using a respirator

I bought a 3M 6900 Full Face Respirator after the forest fire smoke in BC happened two years in a row, have dual P100 filters on it and it works great... to keep me safe. It has no filtration on exhale. I don't know how most respirators are constructed but I suspect most are for inhalation only.

But that respirator was handy to have at the start of the pandemic when few people were even wearing cloth masks and I was walking around Costco with confidence I could be safe.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Xaranthius posted:

I bought a 3M 6900 Full Face Respirator after the forest fire smoke in BC happened two years in a row, have dual P100 filters on it and it works great... to keep me safe. It has no filtration on exhale. I don't know how most respirators are constructed but I suspect most are for inhalation only.

But that respirator was handy to have at the start of the pandemic when few people were even wearing cloth masks and I was walking around Costco with confidence I could be safe.

I gotta ask, how many people looked at you like a psycho for wearing that around the grocery store? :D

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
My experience even with a cloth mask at the start of the pandemic is that it was met with stares and outright hostility sometimes (this is like April 2020, so a couple months before even private businesses started to mandate things). I can't imagine what a full face respirator would be like.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm so far beyond caring what people think of the mask I'm wearing. Mind ya business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I gotta ask, how many people looked at you like a psycho for wearing that around the grocery store? :D

Oh I'm sure there were plenty of stares but I also gave myself a "Robocop" haircut in April 2020 so there was plenty of reason for people to gape at me. See https://imgur.com/a/RUHVvv5 for myself standing in line outside of Costco.