Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
CoT is the first book I ever had to wait for and, oddly enough, I remain fond of it.

I think its structure around the Cleansing is pretty cool, in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I still don't really get the hate, I read it when it came out and enjoyed it, and read it in full each time I go through the series and enjoy it.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I think its in the books that Ashaman that are bonded can't be compelled by their Aes Sedai.

It is. They talk about it in AMOL, the Tower sister's plan is to bond the strongest Dedicated she can find and force him to tell her who has the most potential for the other sisters to bond. That plan doesn't work because shenanigans, but they do mention specifically that her plan wouldn't have worked anyway because you can't use the bond to compel a channeler.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ahh okay I'll pay closer attention when I get back to amol, it's by necessity the one I've read the fewest times...

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gambor posted:

It is. They talk about it in AMOL, the Tower sister's plan is to bond the strongest Dedicated she can find and force him to tell her who has the most potential for the other sisters to bond. That plan doesn't work because shenanigans, but they do mention specifically that her plan wouldn't have worked anyway because you can't use the bond to compel a channeler.

It's how their bond is done, the male one is different and can be used to compel female channelers. The female version can't compel male channelers. Different weave or something like that.

The male version is almost like the three oaths, the way the sister bonded to Logain talks about it. She has to follow his orders even if he's not actively doing anything to compel her.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's something that *for sure* won't make it into the show. They've already neutered sai'din and sai'dar.

Man, I really hope the next season is better than the last 2 eps of the first. Reflecting on it, it was pretty rough and they seem to be making huge changes just for their own sake.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

How are u posted:

That's something that *for sure* won't make it into the show. They've already neutered sai'din and sai'dar.

Man, I really hope the next season is better than the last 2 eps of the first. Reflecting on it, it was pretty rough and they seem to be making huge changes just for their own sake.

The last 2 episodes were directly and hugely impacted by COVID interrupting filming and then introducing a bunch of restrictions. This limited things like hand-to-hand combat scenes, the Blight scenes, and others. On top of that, Mat's actor dropped out leaving them trying to figure out a way to reshoot/plot their way through. For instance, I am like 99% sure that Loial was not going to get stabbed originally, instead it would have been Mat being stabbed or the dagger taken away. There may have been changes made to fit with their overarching plot, but there were also changes forced on them by circumstances.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I'm less concerned about the quality of the final two episodes and more concerned about the frantic pacing of the entire season due to the episode amount and runtime.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Bunch of disjointed thoughts below. Apologies
RE: Nerdy Nightly

I like how they were upset that random MacGuffins were added in episode 8 with no prior introduction. The Horn of V and the Sa-angreal.

And they hated the "she has a tell" and the "defense" of Fal Dara, just like this thread hated them.

In their review of the book they liked that the horn had been mentioned like 100 times by the time they even made it to Shadar Logoth.

They were upset the book prologue was cut. They liked that it started to explain what's at stake, as the show hasn't really attempted to explain the stakes at all and is a major weakness.

And they made a point that turning the show into the mystery of "who is the dragon?" kind of comes at the expense of developing what makes the non-dragon characters special. And they were mad the show just withheld the information to figure out Rand was the Dragon all along.

I also just re-watched the Red Letter Media review of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. And their major complaint is that everything is just so fast and tries to not give the viewer enough time to think about how dumb anything is. They just relentlessly move the plot forward without any time for anything to breath and just shoehorn in MacGuffins out of nowhere. "The movie is like an outline for 3 seasons of a tv show" - Rich Evans. I feel like we're getting the JJ Abrams/Rian Johnson: Disney Star Wars approach to adapting WoT and that is not a good thing.

And right now we're in the "force awakens" stage of bargaining that for a first chapter of the installment it was a decent start, IF they fix the problems in future installments and go someplace interesting with it. And that IF is doing a lot of heavy lifting right now and we saw how poorly that turned out for Star Wars.

Can Rafe and company still turn this into an amazing show and adaption? Yes.

I'd grade the first season a C+. It was acceptable, but it could have been a lot better... but it also could have been a lot worse. Even if it stays at this quality I'll still watch the whole thing. But I don't feel confident recommending it to people IRL yet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh yeah the horn reminds me that presumably there's no need for a hunt of the horn so no Gaul and no faile and no reason for slayer to be in the two rivers and and and.

Sure am glad some book nerd who isn't me got to consult that giving perin a wife to fridge would have no plot significance :thumbsup:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In what way does the Horn being hidden under the throne of Fal Dara instead of at the bottom of a pool of liquid saidin mean there will be no Hunt for The Horn?

You seem to be assuming that the location is public knowledge and not a closely guarded state secret. There's no evidence of that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The horn is found, stolen, recovered, and blown by the end of book 2, we don't even meet Faile or other Hunters until book 3. They can still establish that the hunt has been called even if we, the viwers/readers, know that it's already been found, which is literally what happens in the book.

Or we can make a bunch of assumptions based on nothing.

The fact is the show is going to keep being different from the books in various ways. If you can't accept that very fundamental truth that it's not a 1-to-1 direct adaption, then just don't watch and save yourself (and everyone else) the torture of you wasting your time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The fact is the show is going to keep being different from the books in various ways. If you can't accept that very fundamental truth that it's not a 1-to-1 direct adaption, then just don't watch and save yourself (and everyone else) the torture of you wasting your time.

Pretty sure that folks can both accept this and also critique it. I enjoyed 7/8ths of this season and look forward to season two.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How are u posted:

Pretty sure that folks can both accept this and also critique it. I enjoyed 7/8ths of this season and look forward to season two.

Well I enjoyed all of it.

NOW WHAT

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

How are u posted:

Pretty sure making a giant assumption of all the characters they will cut because of one change isn't critique.

You can check my post history in this thread and see that I have also been critical of minor changes they've made like Nynaeve's background or Mat's dad but I haven't jumped to the conclusion that those changes are going to remove characters or change major plot points.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Pretty sure making a giant assumption of all the characters they will cut because of one change isn't critique.

You can check my post history in this thread and see that I have also been critical of minor changes they've made like Nynaeve's background or Mat's dad but I haven't jumped to the conclusion that those changes are going to remove characters or change major plot points.

Did I say characters cut? Sorry if I was unclear. What I was referencing when I said I'm *sure* they won't put in the show was the idea that the male-initiated bond on a power-wielding woman could compel her into obedience, while the bond initiated by a woman onto a power-wielding man can not.

They really seem like they're afraid to get into gender essentialism at all, so far, so I would expect that to be cut.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I don't think the need for the hunt for the horn has been cut, but I don't see how they have time for it. Seeing as they didn't even have time to mention the Horn's existence or explain what it does before digging it up from under the throne.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

How are u posted:

Did I say characters cut? Sorry if I was unclear. What I was referencing when I said I'm *sure* they won't put in the show was the idea that the male-initiated bond on a power-wielding woman could compel her into obedience, while the bond initiated by a woman onto a power-wielding man can not.

They really seem like they're afraid to get into gender essentialism at all, so far, so I would expect that to be cut.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

oh yeah the horn reminds me that presumably there's no need for a hunt of the horn so no Gaul and no faile and no reason for slayer to be in the two rivers and and and.

Also, I'm lazy and won't go find it, but the same thing was said when the episode aired. People are assuming that there will be no Great Hunt because in the show there exist a small number of people who secretly already know where it is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is that the same user?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that the same user?

No. Which really begs the question why the first one decided they were the one being spoken to.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that the same user?

It is not, you can tell by the quotes having different names. That's my point, in fact.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

th3t00t posted:

I don't think the need for the hunt for the horn has been cut, but I don't see how they have time for it. Seeing as they didn't even have time to mention the Horn's existence or explain what it does before digging it up from under the throne.

Someone points to a boastful knight in a random town. "A thousand idiots like him rode out this spring to hunt across the world for that horn. so they can sound it at the Last Battle, and we've already found it." Just like that, the TV show has explained everything important the books did.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

seaborgium posted:

It's how their bond is done, the male one is different and can be used to compel female channelers. The female version can't compel male channelers. Different weave or something like that.

The male version is almost like the three oaths, the way the sister bonded to Logain talks about it. She has to follow his orders even if he's not actively doing anything to compel her.

Obviously we'll never know, but it does make me wonder if the weave the Asha'mon are using to bond Aes Sedai is interacting with the existing weave from the Oath Rod somehow. Like maybe if an Asha'mon bonded a Windfinder, he wouldn't be able to compel her the same way because there's no Three Oaths affecting her for the weave to latch onto. :shrug:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well I enjoyed all of it.

NOW WHAT

Go back to Shayol Ghul, fuckman

Killer robot posted:

Someone points to a boastful knight in a random town. "A thousand idiots like him rode out this spring to hunt across the world for that horn. so they can sound it at the Last Battle, and we've already found it." Just like that, the TV show has explained everything important the books did.

I'm not worried that the entire world hasn't been established yet, but this would be a really lovely way to do it. Show, don't tell and all that.

I suspect the Chase for the Horn will be a significant arc of the second season's beginning, and the importance of the Horn can be spoiled out over two or three episodes. Show what happens when even the rumor of the horn gets out, people dropping everything to go to Tear when a Hunt is called, people selling a dozen fake imitations, people willing to steal and kill over those same fakes...

Meanwhile the gang are desperately trying to get it back and can't explain just what it is they're chasing

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

I'm not worried that the entire world hasn't been established yet, but this would be a really lovely way to do it. Show, don't tell and all that.

How exactly do you show that and not tell it? It's entirely exposition.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They could just call the hunt for the horn because a darkfriend got the loving horn and holy poo poo we gotta get that back.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

I suspect the Chase for the Horn will be a significant arc of the second season's beginning, and the importance of the Horn can be spoiled out over two or three episodes. Show what happens when even the rumor of the horn gets out, people dropping everything to go to Tear when a Hunt is called, people selling a dozen fake imitations, people willing to steal and kill over those same fakes...

Meanwhile the gang are desperately trying to get it back and can't explain just what it is they're chasing

Why would it be lovely when it's exactly what the books did, telling about how the Hunt for the Horn is going on and people everywhere are looking for it and/or selling it without really ever having it more than background and rumor? It was just a thing of distant rumor that got repeated again and again and it was only "in the now" when an actual Hunter comes up and then it's just part of their backstory.

It won't get the repeating again and again, but in exactly the same way that the TV show didn't have a dozen different inns and farmhouses for Rand and Mat to visit, or how there weren't a dozen different scenes setting camp between Taren Ferry and Shadar Logoth, or how Elayne's not going to complain about Nynaeve's snoring a dozen times. Because I can say that five books into my reread RJ sure liked to tell, rather than show, and he sure liked to do both repetitively in a way that would need hundreds of episodes of show to bring to the screen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Great Hunt isn't much better than the first novel with this time it being another Macguffin that the group has to go after. The story gets much better book 3 onward so them working in stuff from 3 and such would be a good thing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I remain optimistic because the things I think are most important which are 1) the characters and 2) the various cultures and factions have been handled well so far. For example the warder/Aes Sedai dynamic, or the traveling people.

I just hope they do justice to the complexity of the Seanchan. That they’re conquerors who enslave channelers, yet leave the places they conquer often better off for the average people who live there than before is pretty fascinating.

I think they will though. The show has actually been more nuanced in their depiction of some characters than the early books were. Liandarin being one example. I even felt some sympathy towards her at one point.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 12, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The big gold pacifiers were a little bunk though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

The big gold pacifiers were a little bunk though.

I could understand some sort of mask looking kind of good, in theory, but yeah those seemed weird. Damane speak, plenty.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah people were like "they removed the collars because it could be kinky" and its like "uh, and pacifiers are supposed to be less kinky?"

cailleask
May 6, 2007

They are exactly the right amount of extra for the Seanchan, which is like the empire of extra.

Also please enjoy this map from instagram which is also very extra.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah people were like "they removed the collars because it could be kinky" and its like "uh, and pacifiers are supposed to be less kinky?"

More likely leashes presented a difficulty or danger on set.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They could just have collars a bracelets without the leashes. The mouth thing is dumb.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Hollismason posted:

They could just have collars a bracelets without the leashes. The mouth thing is dumb.

From memory, they did have collars and bracelets. It just that they also added the mouth things.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Killer robot posted:

But the show has a track record of not providing exposition like your example.

All they had to do was have the characters talk about the horn a couple times earlier in the season… but they didn’t

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Hellbore posted:

From memory, they did have collars and bracelets. It just that they also added the mouth things.

Yeah they do have separate bracelets and fancy metal neck pieces things that seem to be conspicuously made of the same kind of metal. So maybe they are just doing away with the leashes and changing the design. But then why the pacifiers also? And the neck pieces look rather too bulky to carry around, conceal, and slap on people by surprise against their will as happens quite often in the books.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

We're going to have to wait and see damane on screen for more than a couple of minutes to be sure. For all we know, the "pacifiers" are a ceremonial thing for important occasions like this landing.

Not necessarily claiming that they are, just that we have very little screen time at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah they do have separate bracelets and fancy metal neck pieces things that seem to be conspicuously made of the same kind of metal. So maybe they are just doing away with the leashes and changing the design. But then why the pacifiers also? And the neck pieces look rather too bulky to carry around, conceal, and slap on people by surprise against their will as happens quite often in the books.

I read something that theorized the gags were inspired by specific (horrible) slave gag devices but I can't find the article now.