Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's definitely not +1 to all skills.

As for Loot Filters, put a couple of general ones that find T18 or better rares (That would be 4 affixes, 2 at lvl 5 and 2 at lvl 4 minimum) for good candidates for crafting and stuff for your alternate characters. Then you want to just sort of tweak stuff for offense/defense. The way I do it is I have a couple different sets of rules: 1 for general good stuff (>= T18), a group for high ward defense, a group for high health defense, a group for crit avoidance (some builds actually don't need this because they get it native, but most do), some different groups for elemental/phys/poison/void/necro resistance, and then your offensive stuff that really depends on what you're going for on a character and is the most "custom" area of your filters. Then I turn on the groups that I want as needed and continually tweak 'em every couple of hours.

In my experience most people are way too aggressive with Loot Filters - they go looking for the exact stuff they need but this game has a phenomenal and satisfying crafting system that can turn an item with good base stuff into an absolute monster on the regular. Hell I've even managed to make a magic item with two good level 5 affix rolls that I needed into a darn good item with a Rune of Discovery and a little luck. Is it best in slot? No. But so much of the game comes down to skills that you honestly don't need to go completely over the top with items. if you find yourself REALLY struggling to find the absolute perfect item the problem is either you're running 300+ Corruption monos or your build is lacking in some area (this is what happened to my Poison Necro, RIP Cruella it just didn't work)

Edit: Magic items can still be good, blanket hiding them is not something I would do and you can get some really hot poo poo through Rune of Discovery. Just be specific in what you want - two level 5 affixes of the exact type desired. Yes they are MOSTLY junk but not all junk.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm playing that spellblade build from Boardman21 that someone posted a little while back, based around flame reave and there are a few things I don't 100% understand. I have also not watched the video, I've just been going by the breakdown of it on the forum post

What weapons do I want to focus on? Is it better to have a fast attack speed or just big numbers? Is it worth using a shield at all?

I'm guessing I want lightning damage so that Flame Ward buffs Mana Strike, since that does lightning damage, but do I want +x% lighting damage or +x lightning melee damage or both on my weapon?

Should I prioritize +elemental damage since I do lighting and fire?

is Calamity worth using? https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/item/W4Ma I do have Prism Wraps already, so I'm kinda stuck with 1 level 5 piece

I know I'll drop Mana Strike when I get Firebrand and switch everything over to fire, but I'm not quite there yet. I also don't see where the guide says to drop Lightning Ward from Flame Ward, would that set me back any levels?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Moose posted:

I'm playing that spellblade build from Boardman21 that someone posted a little while back, based around flame reave and there are a few things I don't 100% understand. I have also not watched the video, I've just been going by the breakdown of it on the forum post

What weapons do I want to focus on? Is it better to have a fast attack speed or just big numbers? Is it worth using a shield at all?

I'm guessing I want lightning damage so that Flame Ward buffs Mana Strike, since that does lightning damage, but do I want +x% lighting damage or +x lightning melee damage or both on my weapon?

Should I prioritize +elemental damage since I do lighting and fire?

is Calamity worth using? https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/item/W4Ma I do have Prism Wraps already, so I'm kinda stuck with 1 level 5 piece

I know I'll drop Mana Strike when I get Firebrand and switch everything over to fire, but I'm not quite there yet. I also don't see where the guide says to drop Lightning Ward from Flame Ward, would that set me back any levels?

you want to turn over to firebrand immediately when you unlock it.

+damage on your weapon of the right type is much much more important than +%damage

I used prism wraps for most of the leveling process, eventually switching to Woven Flesh (because it gives you crit immunity)

I've used 2h weapons the whole time; Mage doesn't really seem to have much block support so you might as well go whole hog on damage

With regards to weapons, I think the perfect weapon for the build is an odachi with +fire and attack speed, but anything with decent speed is good. prioritize crit multi since you'll be getting guaranteed crits

Don't take conflagration on firebrand, unless i've seriously missed something it's going to break the build, not sure why it's in there

e- last laugh is a great unique weapon if you can find it, but just use whatever 2h gives you fat numbers

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

you want to turn over to firebrand immediately when you unlock it.

+damage on your weapon of the right type is much much more important than +%damage

I used prism wraps for most of the leveling process, eventually switching to Woven Flesh (because it gives you crit immunity)

I've used 2h weapons the whole time; Mage doesn't really seem to have much block support so you might as well go whole hog on damage

With regards to weapons, I think the perfect weapon for the build is an odachi with +fire and attack speed, but anything with decent speed is good. prioritize crit multi since you'll be getting guaranteed crits

Don't take conflagration on firebrand, unless i've seriously missed something it's going to break the build, not sure why it's in there

e- last laugh is a great unique weapon if you can find it, but just use whatever 2h gives you fat numbers

I think conflagration is there to give Firebrand the bonus from Volka's Razor, its probably a pretty big damage boost once you cap it. There's also relics I've found that give a fat stack of %fire damage, and double it if you have 300 max mana, so I might try to go for that anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Moose posted:

I think conflagration is there to give Firebrand the bonus from Volka's Razor, its probably a pretty big damage boost once you cap it. There's also relics I've found that give a fat stack of %fire damage, and double it if you have 300 max mana, so I might try to go for that anyway

You need a lot of mana regen to pull it off; firebrand isn’t your damage anyway; and i think at 10 mana cost it stops charging blade flurry stacks or whatever that passive is called

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Got my necromancer fire-minion guy to level 81 now, equalling the highest level I've ever done before with a Void Knight. I really like this game, but oh man do I hate the Lagon fight.

The level 75 timeline 2nd time through to unlock the 85 timeline is Lagon and any tiny mistake means instant death to this character with all resists at max except for lightning at 70. His attacks wreck my minions too, so I'm continuously re-summoning them meaning I'm not dumping a stream of exploding zombies into him so my DPS is lower than it normally is and that tiny ledge you have to fight him on is so full of effects and minions that it's just super easy to accidentally get killed by one of his dumb waves, or his moonbeam.

I gave up and moved on to the level 80 timeline stuff which is pretty easy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Isn't Lagon mostly Physical, Cold, and Lightning? During the Campaign it is, I think. Get that maxed. What's your Endurance look like?

My Primalist has 1400 HP, 60% Endurance and like a 450 Threshold. Dude can face tank everything I have encountered up until ~level 74 so far, even things that my Sorcerer with a ton of Ward and HP can't.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Isn't Lagon mostly Physical, Cold, and Lightning? During the Campaign it is, I think. Get that maxed. What's your Endurance look like?

My Primalist has 1400 HP, 60% Endurance and like a 450 Threshold. Dude can face tank everything I have encountered up until ~level 74 so far, even things that my Sorcerer with a ton of Ward and HP can't.

As I mentioned, all resists are at cap of 75 or higher except lightning at 70.

Hell if I know about endurance, but if it's not at whatever the default is it's because I have it by accident. Hit points are around 1450'ish and Ward is dependent on how many zombies have exploded in his face recently.

I'm just saying that the mechanics of the fight suck, that's all. Confining me to a very narrow/small space and then trying to keep offense up while also trying to dodge all the crap going everywhere while also watching him for any cues as to his big incoming attacks... meh.. whatever I'm just bitching because this fight sucks IMO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's a good druid leveling build pre-Bhaldur's wrath

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fair enough; and I just meant the Lightning Resistance specifically

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Vulpes posted:

Wait, +1 to all skills? I thought it was stats.

ya it's to stats that was just an oops

thanks for the filter info! helpful feedback about how to look for generally good items and getting the specifc-to-garbage slider dialed in right

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Resistances aren't the only line of defense, you need to have good Ward generation or a big Health pool with lots of regen, and also YOU NEED 100% CRIT AVOIDANCE. Big bosses in this game love to have high crit chances with huge multipliers and there's only one way to consistently survive that - make sure they never get those crits off. (to be honest it's silly that it's such a binary and one of their few badly done systems - I hope they change crit avoidance to instead mitigate crit damage).

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

zoux posted:

What's a good druid leveling build pre-Bhaldur's wrath

Druid mastery with a werebear focus is powerful and tanky; specialize swipe and warcry (going down the beserker path on the lower right and the hp regen talents on the lower left) early, rush the rage decay reduction points in the werebear tree and mastery passives, and grab summon spriggan as your companion since it gives you a bunch of flat hp regen and damage reflect early, plus global flat crit chance and crit avoidance.

You wind up with near fully capped endurance percentage that kicks in at a high heath, 100% werebear uptime, warcry sheds all aliments when you use it, high dps; you name it, you got it, only thing you need to supply is a decent two hander for dps.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Locator posted:

Got my necromancer fire-minion guy to level 81 now, equalling the highest level I've ever done before with a Void Knight. I really like this game, but oh man do I hate the Lagon fight.

The level 75 timeline 2nd time through to unlock the 85 timeline is Lagon and any tiny mistake means instant death to this character with all resists at max except for lightning at 70. His attacks wreck my minions too, so I'm continuously re-summoning them meaning I'm not dumping a stream of exploding zombies into him so my DPS is lower than it normally is and that tiny ledge you have to fight him on is so full of effects and minions that it's just super easy to accidentally get killed by one of his dumb waves, or his moonbeam.

I gave up and moved on to the level 80 timeline stuff which is pretty easy.

This fight made me give up on my fire minion Necro and start an autobomber void knight.

Waltzed through the entire game up until that fight and then slammed into that brick wall like 20+ times.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Resistances aren't the only line of defense, you need to have good Ward generation or a big Health pool with lots of regen, and also YOU NEED 100% CRIT AVOIDANCE. Big bosses in this game love to have high crit chances with huge multipliers and there's only one way to consistently survive that - make sure they never get those crits off. (to be honest it's silly that it's such a binary and one of their few badly done systems - I hope they change crit avoidance to instead mitigate crit damage).

Woven Flesh seems like a very simple option; i guess the primary tradeoff would be +2 skills affixes on the class chest?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sweetgrass posted:

Druid mastery with a werebear focus is powerful and tanky; specialize swipe and warcry (going down the beserker path on the lower right and the hp regen talents on the lower left) early, rush the rage decay reduction points in the werebear tree and mastery passives, and grab summon spriggan as your companion since it gives you a bunch of flat hp regen and damage reflect early, plus global flat crit chance and crit avoidance.

You wind up with near fully capped endurance percentage that kicks in at a high heath, 100% werebear uptime, warcry sheds all aliments when you use it, high dps; you name it, you got it, only thing you need to supply is a decent two hander for dps.

Dope thanks.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Am I missing something, or don't you basically need 150% to max a resist once you're in the end game?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CubeTheory posted:

Am I missing something, or don't you basically need 150% to max a resist once you're in the end game?

my understanding is that res over 75% only protects from shred, not penetration

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, I really need to do some re-gearing I suppose. I'm too heavily invested in just offense and only have resists and life for defense, and clearly the life isn't enough.

To be fair to the build, the guide says the following:

Defense For You (Most important to Least important):
Capped Resistances/armor
Critical Strike Avoidance/Endurance 60%
Health / Vitality

I've just bull-rushed my way through everything using pure firepower so far, so I suppose I am paying for that now. I probably need to re-do my loot filters to find more defense oriented pieces as I've really not improved my gear noticeably for probably 15 or more levels. Might give up on my +1 to all skills staff and revert back to a 1h and shield with heavy defensive stats.

Gonna be hard to swallow, it's also got like 180% to minion damage.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Captain Foo posted:

oh my god. I am about to become so much more powerful

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://www.lastepochtools.com/guide/section/resistances

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

In fairness, I know it's like an accepted part of the genre but I don't like having resistances be such a big deal, because they end up MANDATORY in all 'real' builds, which is boring

Advantages for resistances:
-When leveling, you can be like "my guy's a fire mage, so he's got a lot of fire resist to sell the idea that he's a cool guy who has mastered the flames"
-I can't think of any others; hypothetically it's more affixes, so it changes the calculus for finding gear?

Disadvantages:
-Every character should have max resistances at high levels, so this flavor is lost
-Gearing becomes less interesting, because you have to pay a resistance tax, so you need more customizable pieces and as few uniques/set pieces as you can get away with (which are much less likely to have resistances, depending on the piece)

There's also no easy way that I'm aware of to find out the damage type of an attack, which OFTEN isn't a problem but sometimes is.

I don't think it's worth having the player deal with different damage type defenses for the sole purpose of essentially flavor text in exchange for boring non-decisions.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

John Lee posted:

There's also no easy way that I'm aware of to find out the damage type of an attack, which OFTEN isn't a problem but sometimes is..

Last Epoch does tell you the element(s) of whatever attack killed you at least, but that requires you to die.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

damage resistances go back as far as Diablo itself, and probably before that

not saying it's an unfixable problem, but the concept is really part of the genre

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Captain Foo posted:

Yes, and shred is rare enough (well, except poison shred) that there isn't MUCH reason to gear over 75% resistance, especially since the "lose resistances as you level up" penalty is done via increasing penetration rather than the flat penalty on difficulty level/advancement through the campaign.

Captain Foo posted:

damage resistances go back as far as Diablo itself, and probably before that

not saying it's an unfixable problem, but the concept is really part of the genre

I'm happy that LE has kinda de-emphasized resists through their changes to the damage formula: 75% res means you're not taking extra damage at endgame because you've made up for the innate penetration, but even if you somehow go in with 0 res, you're taking 1.75x damage compared to someone capped at endgame, rather than the 4x damage you would be in other games.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, and shred is rare enough (well, except poison shred) that there isn't MUCH reason to gear over 75% resistance, especially since the "lose resistances as you level up" penalty is done via increasing penetration rather than the flat penalty on difficulty level/advancement through the campaign.

I'm happy that LE has kinda de-emphasized resists through their changes to the damage formula: 75% res means you're not taking extra damage at endgame because you've made up for the innate penetration, but even if you somehow go in with 0 res, you're taking 1.75x damage compared to someone capped at endgame, rather than the 4x damage you would be in other games.

I agree with all this. It's still a decent amount of damage types, and then they have armor on top of it

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Here's a weird question: there's a steam review saying when you respec, any of the points you've put into your abilities don't get returned to you so you're kinda screwed and punished from trying different builds. Hard to say how many patches ago it was, but is that still true?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

TL:DR; Penetration from monster level applies after resists are capped at 75%.

Tensokuu posted:

Here's a weird question: there's a steam review saying when you respec, any of the points you've put into your abilities don't get returned to you so you're kinda screwed and punished from trying different builds. Hard to say how many patches ago it was, but is that still true?

It's true, yes. When you remove a point from a skill you don't get that point back to spend, you have to earn it again. It's really not a big deal in practice though. If you want to completely respec you're better off just unspeccing the skill entirely and starting back at your minimum passive level (which I think caps at 10 at level 80?).

It's not quite D3 levels of respec on the fly, but it's not that bad as long as you're not changing builds every 5 minutes.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 12, 2022

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

Depending on your level you get a certain amount of points back. The rest need to be releveled. I'm not sure what the highest amount of points is you get back though.

The system is a compromise between D3 and Path of Exile, where in the former you can respec any character at will for no cost and the latter where respeccing a character is an extremely expensive endeavor.

Last Epoch strikes a good balance between the 2 in my opinion. Where you can respec completely, apart from the class specialisation, for a surmountable cost.

Not being able to respec for free promotes starting new characters to try out new builds / items. But if you really want to, you can bypass it with some effort.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Vulpes posted:

It's true, yes. When you remove a point from a skill you don't get that point back to spend, you have to earn it again. It's really not a big deal in practice though.

Part of why it isn't a big deal is because you gain skill XP at an accelerated rate up to a certain point based on your level, in addition to the minimum skill level. I dropped a level 19 skill last week to try and insert triggered Umbral Blades into my Bladedancer build, the new skill started at level 10, and I had it back at 19 within like five or ten hours I think? It felt quick anyway.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Thanks everyone!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I don't really know what is and isn't good yet, but I was pretty happy with my new armor

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What the gently caress. My computer died last week, just re-built it last night, booted up this game this morning and all of my characters are there EXCEPT for my Werebear who is the character I enjoyed playing the most

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Part of why it isn't a big deal is because you gain skill XP at an accelerated rate up to a certain point based on your level, in addition to the minimum skill level. I dropped a level 19 skill last week to try and insert triggered Umbral Blades into my Bladedancer build, the new skill started at level 10, and I had it back at 19 within like five or ten hours I think? It felt quick anyway.

five to ten hours

i get that 10-15 probably happened within the first hour or two given the (steep) scaling for XP. still, that's a long goddamn time.

i think the place to peg LE's respeccing is somewhere between grim dawn and PoE, not D3 vs. PoE.

along those lines, have the devs mentioned anything about save game editors/mods/etc? being able to edit poo poo like skill levels for offline / "open online" characters (kinda like D2's setup) would be stellar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sab669 posted:

What the gently caress. My computer died last week, just re-built it last night, booted up this game this morning and all of my characters are there EXCEPT for my Werebear who is the character I enjoyed playing the most

Check your save games directory, there’s usually one backup copy of a character

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Check your save games directory, there’s usually one backup copy of a character

Where are they on the disk? All I can find are 3 year old forum posts directing me to the Registry lol.

But I doubt that'll help; specifically what happened was the SSD with my Windows install poo poo the bed. So I replaced my 3 drives with 1 brand new disk and a brand new copy of Windows -- I'm relying on Steam Sync here.

Later today I do plan on hooking up my old disks to a SATA-to-USB enclosure and see what files I can pull over, though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I did like how easy it was to respec in D3, and I still don't get why that's a bad thing. I suppose since d3 didn't have the giant skill tree for every skill, your build was more based on what legendaries dropped, so you had to modify your build more often so it was necessary there.

Is there anywhere where people have done math about some of the more vague node descriptions? Like on spellblade, for Enchant Weapon. The node Concentration just says +1 duration. no units or percentages. Is this just beta stuff that will be filled in later, or are we not supposed to know?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume it's just bad tooltip templating because Early Access.

In theory it should be fixed for 1.0, but that assumes they're tracking bug tickets for all the typos / ambiguous things like that. I noticed a few curiosities in some Primalist trees.

And yea D3 it's just, Skill, Skill's Rune and that's it. Much faster. Maybe you'll find a cool new legendary that makes you want to try out a different build while leveling impacts it a bit, but I'd imagine you've probably still been gearing the rest of your outfit a specific way. I can't remember how frequently I would try different Runes tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dr_Gee posted:

five to ten hours

i get that 10-15 probably happened within the first hour or two given the (steep) scaling for XP. still, that's a long goddamn time.

Honestly I hesitated to give a specific time because I don't remember how long I played last weekend! Steam tells me I've played 14h in the past couple of weeks so that's the guess I gave. But it felt way quicker than I expected it to (granted I'd just finished relevelling a skill in PoE before I hit the wall in that league so my expectations were pessimistic).

I don't remember how GD does respecs - it's basically just gold cost without time cost, right? I guess there couldn't be a time cost since there's no individual skill levelling, just allocating points you get from your character level.

quote:

along those lines, have the devs mentioned anything about save game editors/mods/etc? being able to edit poo poo like skill levels for offline / "open online" characters (kinda like D2's setup) would be stellar

Offline saves are just straight JSONs so whipping up an editor should be easy (or already done, I haven't looked). I don't think they're planning on an open online mode but I haven't seen them answer that specific question so we'll see I guess.