Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

And it owns, and I will rock my heavily played Oubliettes till I die.

Also make a modern format where Dark Confidant is playable again and I will be happy.

I'm just running 4x Cast Down. I should probably get a playset of Oubliette now that it's not $texas for them

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

I've been playing a lot of Arena over the last 18 months and have really enjoyed getting back into Magic. To the point where I'd probably like to start up a paper collection with the goal of eventually playing Modern in person in a year or two whenever in person events are back to being a thing, or worst case just owning some cool cards. If I don't have a specific deck in mind, and generically can spend like $1-2k /yr what's the best thing to do?

Save your money until you are ready to play, then buy in. Two years is a long time for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is meta shifts could make whatever you bought now irrelevant by the time you get to play.

If you want to build a collection for kitchen table play or just because you like having nice stuff, that's it's own thing. Totally understand. But if your goal is "start buying cards now so I can play modern in 2023," start a savings account specific for it and force yourself not to spend it on other stuff along the way.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 12, 2022

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

And it owns, and I will rock my heavily played Oubliettes till I die.

Also make a modern format where Dark Confidant is playable again and I will be happy.

I've seen some good hammer list jamming confidants.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
spend $1000 on collector booster boxes in a year

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

spend $1000 on collector booster boxes in a year

btw if u did this with MH2 congrats on ur free money

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Check out this Abzan deck that 5-0’d a league with dark confidant

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4543811#paper

That does look pretty cool, even though I don't want to buy a playset of Esper Sentinel, thanks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Play this

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-most-expensive-75-deck-in-modern-calibrated-blast-budget-magic

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

DangerDongs posted:

I've seen some good hammer list jamming confidants.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4543144#paper

This is my current list. Bob is bonkers in the deck, often giving you the last nail you need to hammer it home

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is my current list. Bob is bonkers in the deck, often giving you the last nail you need to hammer it home

Hammer, at any cost.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

Save your money until you are ready to play, then buy in. Two years is a long time for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is meta shifts could make whatever you bought now irrelevant by the time you get to play.

If you want to build a collection for kitchen table play or just because you like having nice stuff, that's it's own thing. Totally understand. But if your goal is "start buying cards now so I can play modern in 2023," start a savings account specific for it and force yourself not to spend it on other stuff along the way.

I think the goal is to have a big enough collection for kitchen table play, especially in a few years when my kids are old enough to be interested with the added benefit of being able to potentially play some formats that aren’t on Arena when in person play becomes more of a thing again. At the moment starting from a base of zero cards so just wondering where to start with that in mind.

If I wanted to buy singles is there a goon approved place to do so? And if I wanted to just preorder a box of boosters from upcoming sets what’s the best place to do that? At a local store?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Adun posted:

I think the goal is to have a big enough collection for kitchen table play, especially in a few years when my kids are old enough to be interested with the added benefit of being able to potentially play some formats that aren’t on Arena when in person play becomes more of a thing again. At the moment starting from a base of zero cards so just wondering where to start with that in mind.

If I wanted to buy singles is there a goon approved place to do so? And if I wanted to just preorder a box of boosters from upcoming sets what’s the best place to do that? At a local store?

If money is burning a hole in your pocket the enemy fetchlands are at an all time low at the moment (as cheap as they are going to get when everyone knows they are great) and are never wrong to own. If you want more than that you can always buy stuff from recent ish masters sets, mtgogoldfish has price histories and they have most popular cards by format listed. Just buy cards in the trough and rinse/repeat for the next two years. I don't recommend buying boosters of standard sets for modern, so few cards usually make the grade it's not a good value to just crack standard boxes.

You should buy from your local game store unless they suck, don't buy from amazon/ebay and if your LGS is trash or out of a single Tcgplayer.com is a good place to go and most ppls yard stick for trading values to boot.

If you want to crack packs its modern horizons 2 right now but MH1 also has some great hits and is usually slightly less than mh2 price wise

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Eej posted:

the Japanese aren't the inspiration for the entire genre of cyberpunk

They literally aren't though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Adun posted:

Honestly, for kitchen table play just buy those 'theme decks' the professor keeps hawking on his videos. It's ten bucks for a neat beginner deck based on a concept. Your kids are going to suck anyways, so really do you want to have a five year old shuffling a ragavan, bloodstained mire, and Blood Crypt?
So you buy the theme deck, they find one they like, and then they'll on their own (if they like the game) go to gatherer or scryfall and they'll look up the improvements they want to make to their decks. And because they're new players their want list won't include shocks or fetches and instead include expensive techy answers. Like if one of you ends up with a good artifact deck they're going to want Shatterstorm (twenty cents) and not Shattering Spree (five dollars) even though we know spree is the better card. And then you can use it as teaching moments why Ancient Grudge (ten cents) might be the best fit.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 12, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They literally aren't though.

Aren't they?
Didn't cyberpunk come from Americans looking at an ascendant Japan claiming more splace in the electronic consumer good market, and then draw a dystopian fantasy based on what would happen if they took over?
The Vapor's Turning Japanese: The Asthetic.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Doesn't Neuromancer take place in Japan?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Remember when WoTC was going to review every card to see which are problematic? Sure is taking them a while to circle back on that one.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

HootTheOwl posted:

Aren't they?
Didn't cyberpunk come from Americans looking at an ascendant Japan claiming more splace in the electronic consumer good market, and then draw a dystopian fantasy based on what would happen if they took over?
The Vapor's Turning Japanese: The Asthetic.

The genre was borne of the rise of corporations and electronics (and transhumanism) generally rather than anything particular to Japan.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is considered the first, or proto-, cyberpunk novel (Bladerunner is based on it) and it doesn't have anything to do with Japan at all. Philip K. Dick's comments on what drove the novel's existence: "Our environment — and I mean our man-made world of machines, artificial constructs, computers, electronic systems, interlinking homeostatic components — all of this is in fact beginning more and more to possess what the earnest psychologists fear the primitive sees in his environment: animation. In a very real sense our environment is becoming alive, or at least quasi-alive, and in ways specifically and fundamentally analogous to ourselves...Rather than learning about ourselves by studying our constructs, perhaps we should make the attempt to comprehend what our constructs are up to by looking into what we ourselves are up to"

It's a lot to do with acutely felt alienation, which was ratcheted up in the post-war era with the aid of the electronics and technology boom. Dick cites Hubbard as inspiration for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

1980s Anxieties about Japan as an ascendant and presumably soon to be unchallenged dominant commercial and financial power certainly crept into some cyberpunk (including the TTRPG and recent computer game based on it), but it's hardly a sine qua non. It tainted a lot of cultural waters, including beloved Christmas favorite Die Hard.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I want to round out my fetches but when am I ever going to play UG/UR/RW?

Thought about building something blue but blue cards like fon in modern are turbo expensive :(

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Moose posted:

Doesn't Neuromancer take place in Japan?

"The Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis (BAMA) or unofficially The Sprawl,"

there is a lot of japanese culture, but in the US

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Adun posted:

peep the SA mtg card buying/selling thread before heading to an LGS or tcgplayer. standard price for singles is 10% below tcg mid which is usually the best price you're going to get compared to an actual store

I imagine you might also be able to find stuff on Facebook marketplace or one of the multiple MTG buy/sell Facebook groups but I've never used those

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/status/1480948189159120902

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

Would Modern Death's Shadow move back towards Angler and Street Wraith if companions ate the axe?
Kind of hard to make room with Ragavan and DRC + Bauble.

I don’t know why you’d play angler in a world where murktide exists

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"The Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis (BAMA) or unofficially The Sprawl,"

there is a lot of japanese culture, but in the US

The first act is in Chiba.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don’t know why you’d play angler in a world where murktide exists

The double blue in the casting cost could be kind of annoying. That is a lot more steep than a single black.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LeafHouse posted:

Remember when WoTC was going to review every card to see which are problematic? Sure is taking them a while to circle back on that one.

They said that they were going to wait until after the next arena open which is 1-22 / 1-23, so over a week.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1479237451692584960

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The first act is in Chiba.

Yup, Chiba is even in the precursor short story to the Sprawl series. I'd say Japan did have a notable degree of influence on Gibson in particular - the Walkman was released in 1979, cementing Japan as an electronics hub/powerhouse in a way that wasn't present - in Zeitgeist - until the 80s.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bubble economy overseas zaibatsu buying sprees and fear of foreign corporate takeovers aside, Japan in the 80s was where all the cool technology came from, and had this air of mystery surrounding it. There was also some envy over the fact that cool tech poo poo almost always seemed to release in Japan first, and then trickle out to the US months or years later, if at all.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Bubble economy overseas zaibatsu buying sprees and fear of foreign corporate takeovers aside, Japan in the 80s was where all the cool technology came from, and had this air of mystery surrounding it. There was also some envy over the fact that cool tech poo poo almost always seemed to release in Japan first, and then trickle out to the US months or years later, if at all.

yeah, I remember when I read Rising Sun in high school, because I went from "oh cool the guy that wrote jurassic park has other books" to :dogstare: :dogstare: :dogstare: :dogstare: REAL QUICK

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Hammer tends to be weak against decks that have a lot of interaction. We tried out Bob, and I don't think that's the card you want. It's good against the decks that allow Bob to live, but you should be pretty good against those matchups already?

Our team (lol) is trying mono white hammer right now with the 2x outfitter for 10 equip enablers.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Kodama of the Tech Tree

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

They said that they were going to wait until after the next arena open which is 1-22 / 1-23, so over a week.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1479237451692584960

Alchemy is such dogshit.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's fine but it's encrusted in the dogshit of arena's economy plus the fact that the balance changes are ported over directly to historic for no good reason

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Hammer tends to be weak against decks that have a lot of interaction. We tried out Bob, and I don't think that's the card you want. It's good against the decks that allow Bob to live, but you should be pretty good against those matchups already?

Our team (lol) is trying mono white hammer right now with the 2x outfitter for 10 equip enablers.

Crack team of mtg defense attorneys

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

it's fine but it's encrusted in the dogshit of arena's economy plus the fact that the balance changes are ported over directly to historic for no good reason

I still don't know why this is.
I feel like you should just get a choice on the version and then they can aggressively ban the problem versions

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
WOTC has been dropping little story recaps from Kamigawa, and each one includes this long art. This one was labeled "The Kami war". Next to it is the leaked Saga, The Kami War. Same art.

Anyways, be on the lookout for a saga called Life of Toshiro Umezawa

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah I actually think Thoughtseize is the real reason to do the black splash, but then the hand disruption dovetails so well with Bob for the reasons you mention that they seem like a natural pairing. Then Bob is an easy side-out for more targeted tools in games 2 and 3 where you don't really want him

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

oh i bet this transforms into a jitte-like enchantment

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

WOTC has been dropping little story recaps from Kamigawa, and each one includes this long art. This one was labeled "The Kami war". Next to it is the leaked Saga, The Kami War. Same art.

My wild guess for the effects

Verse 1, 2 - Exile up to one target Spirit an opponent controls
Verse 3 - Choose one: Target creature gets -1/-1 until eot/Target creature gets +2/+2 until eot/Gain 2 life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

My wild guess for the effects

Verse 1, 2 - Exile up to one target Spirit an opponent controls
Verse 3 - Choose one: Target creature gets -1/-1 until eot/Target creature gets +2/+2 until eot/Gain 2 life

Nah,

Verse 1 is going to be something like, "Buy all the precons containing this card."