Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

smellmycheese posted:

The British lust for the taste of boots never ceases to amaze me

That stuff is all placed - every one of those letters will be written by some local Tory party chair or similar.

Edit: Snipey, sniperson.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stop hating Boris he helped us through a hard time that nobody other than the PRC, the WHO, the CDC, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, and anyone who had studied biology, virology, epidemiology, history of health and medicine, or had a vague awareness of exponential growth could forsee.

Unlike the antisemite Jeffrey Cordite I wish it was the 1930s again, that'd show people.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
loving snowflakes always whinging about the government breaking the rules :argh: back in my day the PM would come over and snap my cock in two and it never did me any harm

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yesterday, the hashtag #ScumMedia was trending on Twitter - it's not, as you'd think, aimed at the awfulness of British newspapers in general, but rather a Trumpish attempt to rouse gammons into unthinking anger against any UK media outlet seen as insufficiently pro-Brexit, pro-Tory and/or pro-Boris Johnson. Since the government is so appalling that even the Heil and Express are criticising it, the very people who make up their target market were attacking them. Eat each other, you fucks.

I bring it up because the above kind of bootlicking made up 95% of the comments with the hashtag. "Leave Boris alone!" "Is banging on about something trivial that happened a year ago the only ammo the pathetic lefties in the media have?" "Bring back hanging!" (Okay, I didn't see that last one, but you know it's an underlying belief.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also people posting pictures of the only news outlet still stanning for johnson
with "you don't see the media talking about this!"

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Keith said resign at PMQs. It must be super serious if even the Tories are calling for his head.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This bollocks about the inquiry is a real head scratcher. Is he expecting the outcome to be different to what he already admitted to?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

PMQ's is incredible. Boris is refusing to resign and is telling everyone to wait until the conclusions of the enquiry. He's not selling himself well. lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

I'd like to see Boris wriggle his way etc

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I don't think he's ever resigned a job in his life, he'll have to be fired like all the others.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's not going to go on his own accord, that's for sure.

What happens if an ousted PM refuses to step down? Who would evict him? What would happen if his friend Cressida refused to act, just as she's refused to act over the investigations into the parties etc.?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm watching it right now and Keith is managing to actually sound like he isn't permanently nasally congested.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My memory's fuzzy on how it works and when but are we approaching VONC territory? I can't see any other route to getting him out at this point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

He's not going to go on his own accord, that's for sure.

What happens if an ousted PM refuses to step down? Who would evict him? What would happen if his friend Cressida refused to act, just as she's refused to act over the investigations into the parties etc.?

Black Rod and a couple of Beefeaters come round and kick the bounder up the backside until he sees sense.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

keep punching joe posted:

Black Rod and a couple of Beefeaters come round and kick the bounder up the backside until he sees sense.

Boris Beaned in Backside by Beefeater Rods

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

I think the MET's automatic weapons would be superior to Black Rod's sword.

Most of how this country operates is based on unwritten conventions. Politicians are expected to do the right thing and follow these conventions. So what happens when someone ignores them? How enforceable are unwritten rules? And who enforces them?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol wow okay fair play to Starmer he did a really good job

I give him 5 days max to bungle it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

Politicians are expected to do the right thing and follow these conventions. So what happens when someone ignores them? How enforceable are unwritten rules? And who enforces them?
Ugbana Oyet hits them with the parliament stick.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apropos of 'lit' I had a look at that Tweetman lit thing - no posts since May last year. Seems to have withered on the vine.

Weetman is a tragic character who genuinely thought she was going to be rewarded for her staunch anti-corbyn stance with a nice comfy spot as a centrist columnist. Only all the blue ticks she courted left her to twist in the wind the second she wasn't useful to them, because of course they did. Afaict she is now just playing to a gallery of thirsty centrist dads, at least half of whom are bots. Looks like she's going hard down the JK did nothing wrong TERF avenue too, probably in a desperate attempt to remain relevant. It all feels quite depressing and I almost feel bad for her, knowing you'd been played that badly must be humiliating.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith really enjoying a chance to boot Boris around the room

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

There's no chance that there's enough Tories outraged by this (and I use that word liberally, lol if you think politicians up and down the country weren't flagrantly flaunting the rules) to force a VONC.

There's no reason for Boris to resign based on this alone - he'd be leaving in disgrace and there's only one thing he cares more about than pumping out kids and that's his reputation.

The only way he leaves is if they wait for Omnicron dies down (and there's nothing worse following it) and he quietly steps down so someone can take over post-Covid.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

Most of how this country operates is based on unwritten conventions. Politicians are expected to do the right thing and follow these conventions. So what happens when someone ignores them? How enforceable are unwritten rules? And who enforces them?

The real answer is that sovereignty lies in Parliament. If Parliament votes to remove the executive then it's gone. Either a new government forms or the country goes to an election.

fuctifino posted:

Army beats police in this rock / paper / scissors standoff, and those orders come from 'er maj.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 12, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
TBH hearing some fantastic accents in parliament today. Someone with DeeDee's accent got a jab in there too

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

<Stands up>
"I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer"
<Sits down>

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have seen nothing to indicate that politics idiots are capable of that level of self awareness.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I watched him for a couple of minutes and still stand by my view that all sitting Tory MPs and their immediate family members should be killed and institutions such as Eton be ground into dust.

I don't normally feel the need for old testament vengeance but i feel the amount of pain they have caused needs to be paid for. :colbert:

That's enough of me viewing parliament for today/week, it's bad for my soul.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fuctifino posted:

<Stands up>
<Sits down>

I want one of them to ask what he expects the inquiry to conclude beyond the facts established by himself.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

EvilHawk posted:

There's no chance that there's enough Tories outraged by this (and I use that word liberally, lol if you think politicians up and down the country weren't flagrantly flaunting the rules) to force a VONC.

There's no reason for Boris to resign based on this alone - he'd be leaving in disgrace and there's only one thing he cares more about than pumping out kids and that's his reputation.

The only way he leaves is if they wait for Omnicron dies down (and there's nothing worse following it) and he quietly steps down so someone can take over post-Covid.

VONC were an oddity of the coalition years,.

55 anonymous letters to the 1922 are all that's needed. If 15% of the tory mps think their chances of re-election/promotion are better served by liz truss or rishi sunak he's done

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I saw you say this on twitter. This is a pretty ludicrous fantasy.

Right, see, this is the inherent disagreement with between the Burn Labour To The Ground side & the Stay & Reform Labour side & we're talking at cross purposes. Because yes, the SCG & the unions leaving Labour for a new party is a fantasy for several reasons, including that the SCG MPs are more in love with the concept of the Labour Party than they are with actual poor people. But the point that we're making is that it's no more of a fantasy than Labour being in anyway redeemable at this point. Any project of left-wing revival is powered on hope & optimism & a smattering of self-delusion because if you don't have these things you'd give in to despair.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

loving snowflakes always whinging about the government breaking the rules :argh: back in my day the PM would come over and snap my cock in two and it never did me any harm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fRTeeElh0U

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
double post

Clarence
May 3, 2012

fuctifino posted:

<Stands up>
<Sits down>

I've not been watching it, but IIRC the way PMQs works is that an MP is allowed an initial question and a supplementary one. Notice of what the first question is has to be given to the government, so that standard thing is asking the PM what is in their diary. Hence the "I refer the hon. gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago" or whatever after the first one. The supplementary question doesn't require prior notice so that's the one they try to score points with.

Or something like that.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'm really not buying this "people out there are really angry about this!" line. Not that this is in any way comprehensive obviously, but the main thing I've heard people say outside of politico bubbles are "sod it, if that lot aren't sticking to lockdown rules then neither am I", which is... exactly the attitude towards future restrictions that the government would want people to have...?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My father (b. 1943) shouting at the telly during the news yesterday:

Are they still going on about that loving party?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

My memory's fuzzy on how it works and when but are we approaching VONC territory? I can't see any other route to getting him out at this point.

There's two avenues - the Tories can depose him as leader by forcing a VONC in him as leader. <x> amount of MPs - I want to say 20%? - have to write a letter to the chair of the 1922 Committee (the club for backbench Tories) to trigger the vote, and then a majority of the MPs have to vote against him. If this happens a leadership election is triggered, and the winner comes back as leader of the party and PM. *In theory* the new PM then has to pass a motion of confidence in the Commons but the chances of that failing are basically zero, because in practice - as we saw with May and Johnson - this is all carefully choreographed behind the scenes and any new leader will already have arm-twisted enough of the party that there's no way that they'll rebel at that stage.

Alternatively the Commons can pass a motion of no confidence (which would of course require a very significant chunk of the Tories to rebel) but thanks to the FTPA the PM then has two weeks to schmooze, bribe, and show photographs taken from a safe in Manhattan to enough MPs to pass a motion of confidence, otherwise we go to a General Election.

As others have pointed out though there's no way that the Tories are going to eject Johnson just yet - he's still a heat shield for their many, many fuckups (and of course all the things that have gone 100% to plan which are even worse) and none of his rivals want to stick their head above the parapet at least until they're absolutely certain they won't have to declare another covid lockdown, for example.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

My father (b. 1943) shouting at the telly during the news yesterday:

Are they still going on about that loving party?!

Sorry for your fathers brain rot

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Right, see, this is the inherent disagreement with between the Burn Labour To The Ground side & the Stay & Reform Labour side & we're talking at cross purposes. Because yes, the SCG & the unions leaving Labour for a new party is a fantasy for several reasons, including that the SCG MPs are more in love with the concept of the Labour Party than they are with actual poor people. But the point that we're making is that it's no more of a fantasy than Labour being in anyway redeemable at this point. Any project of left-wing revival is powered on hope & optimism & a smattering of self-delusion because if you don't have these things you'd give in to despair.

tbh i just think the chaos is useful in itself

our politics is mired and even if there's only a 0.1% chance of something good happening i think it'd still need some good old fashioned chaos to even make those low odds plausible

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's two avenues - the Tories can depose him as leader by forcing a VONC in him as leader. <x> amount of MPs - I want to say 20%? - have to write a letter to the chair of the 1922 Committee (the club for backbench Tories) to trigger the vote, and then a majority of the MPs have to vote against him. If this happens a leadership election is triggered, and the winner comes back as leader of the party and PM. *In theory* the new PM then has to pass a motion of confidence in the Commons but the chances of that failing are basically zero, because in practice - as we saw with May and Johnson - this is all carefully choreographed behind the scenes and any new leader will already have arm-twisted enough of the party that there's no way that they'll rebel at that stage.

Alternatively the Commons can pass a motion of no confidence (which would of course require a very significant chunk of the Tories to rebel) but thanks to the FTPA the PM then has two weeks to schmooze, bribe, and show photographs taken from a safe in Manhattan to enough MPs to pass a motion of confidence, otherwise we go to a General Election.

i cant think of tory leader in the last 50 years that has had their leadership put to a vote at the 1922 and won; just the calling of the vote would be enough to finish him.

several have gone just on the threat of vote being called alone.

they will never call a confidence vote in parliament because why go straight to a GE with no time to prepare for the coronation of the anointed successor; the whole purpose of the 1922 process is to allow for this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

I've not been watching it, but IIRC the way PMQs works is that an MP is allowed an initial question and a supplementary one. Notice of what the first question is has to be given to the government, so that standard thing is asking the PM what is in their diary. Hence the "I refer the hon. gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago" or whatever after the first one. The supplementary question doesn't require prior notice so that's the one they try to score points with.

Or something like that.

Yeah, that's exactly it. The first question has to be notified in advance, and they are allowed a supplementary question (other party leaders are allowed 2 or 3, LOTO is allowed 5), because Parliament is still at heart just a debate club - the rule is supposed to be there to allow an open debate where a questioner asks an earnest question they want an answer to but can then ask a followup for clarification, but instead what it actually is is a Punch and Judy show where you're trying to get the maximum amount of posh braying so everyone started asking a mundane first question before trying to spring a question about what the Prime Minister was going to do about the Don Pacifico Incident.

Of course this wasted a lot of time so everyone settled on the boilerplate appointments question that the PM could just give a boilerplate answer to, rather than just abandoning the convention because if we stopped doing things that made no sense but we only did because that's how we'd been doing it for centuries we'd never do anything at all in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Again I don't for a moment think that we're going to see the end of Boris because of a loving party scandal, but it's quite clear from his responses today that he's seen the Gray report will say it was technically allowed and therefore it's all okay. He apologised (that people were offended) which was what the Tory backbenchers were asking him to do. There'll be no 1922 vote.