Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If they wish to charge him, they can submit an extradition request and *in theory* he has no power to disobey it[1] - in practice it'll be interesting to see what kind of shape the courts twist themselves into. At the moment (I believe) it's only a civil matter so extradition doesn't apply, especially as he has legal representation over there.

[1] This is assuming he doesn't claim diplomatic immunity. For most of the time period involved he was the Queen's Special Boy Representative for Trade, a sinecure role she gave him after his divorce, and so was entitled to a diplomatic passport, but it would come down to the details as to whether or not he was actually an accredited part of the British diplomatic corps or not. I suspect he (or rather his household) will have been very, very careful to make sure his paperwork *was* in order even if he wasn't off noncing. However I believe that some of Virginia Guiffre's accusations against him date to before he got the role.

True, but even if it developed into a criminal case and he was found guilty, a formal extradition request was issued, and he had no legal immunity, I'd be interested to see what happened if he just... said no. Somehow I just can't see plod knocking on the front door of one of the Queen's kids and marching them to the airport in handcuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just had an offer accepted on a house, excited to soon become part of Britain's landowning class (the only class that matters).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Prince Nonce [holds up passport]: Diplometic immunitaaay!
Brenda [shooting him]: It hes jest been revoked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe that technically the police aren't allowed to arrest people in the presence of the monarch or one one of their official residences.

Last time I tried to look up the specifics it pointed to some ancient legal book or whatever that I couldn't find a good online copy of.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Jocks have turned on him

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1481293718904840196

Vultures circling.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

He might, finally, be hosed.

PMQs were a very different vibe this time

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Notably there have only been people who already said he should go have come out and said he should stay.

Nobody has said anything in support of him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I honestly have no feel for this situation at all. Johnson's been having these types of scandals on a near daily basis for years and none of it has ever mattered, but now this relatively minor affair is going to bury him because the media just decided to stop letting it slide? Feels genuinely surreal

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Honestly I couldn't give a gently caress whether he resigns or not and I don't know why people are getting excited, he's just going to be replaced by another Tory who will do identical poo poo if maybe a little more subtly.

e:

VV

iirc Ruth Davidson has always been opposed to Bojo. Didn't she resign as leader of the Scottish Tories when he became PM because of his history of homophobic poo poo?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 12, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ruth Davidson also turned on him

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1480850278467440644?s=20

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly I couldn't give a gently caress whether he resigns or not and I don't know why people are getting excited, he's just going to be replaced by another Tory who will do identical poo poo if maybe a little more subtly.

I think part of it is Johnson seems to have had teflon skin for decades in a way that no replacement will. So while he has been getting away with shite and people defending him saying 'he's doing the best he can in a difficult situation', others won't get away with that.

Fk knows why he has this supposed charm etc, I saw him in the street in Hounslow about 5 years ago surrounded by sycophants and he certainly didn't exude any sort of charisma that had any effect on me.

I think also that one of the reasons this is re-sounding (shut it... ) so much is that many people probably have a look round and see a lot of governments struggling with covid, don't have any idea what could be done differently. But this, blatant disregard of a law the tories made, that made life very difficult for many people particularly those with elderly, sick and dying relatives, and promptly stuck their fingers up at all the plebs is something that anyone can see is inexcusable.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 12, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

People like him, they think he's funny, bumbling and charming. That counts come election time.

The other Tory leadership hopefuls have the personalities of Komodo Dragons who've read too much Rand/Leviticus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

No Dignity posted:

I honestly have no feel for this situation at all. Johnson's been having these types of scandals on a near daily basis for years and none of it has ever mattered, but now this relatively minor affair is going to bury him because the media just decided to stop letting it slide? Feels genuinely surreal
Johnson banging on a watermelon while making monkey noises only affects Black people.
Johnson going maskless at a hospital and mouthbreathing over the staff only affects nurses.
Johnson having drinks during lockdown makes a mockery of all the fine journalists who were inconvenienced by not being able to go on jollybabs to the pub every evening and lunch and breakfast.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Strong future "Ah, well! Nevertheless" energy in this thread now

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Edit: Angry bullshit noone cares carry on

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 12, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

People like him, they think he's funny, bumbling and charming. That counts come election time.

The other Tory leadership hopefuls have the personalities of Komodo Dragons who've read too much Rand/Leviticus.

I weirdly think Priti Patel could do well. She's so comically, anime villain evil we just couldn't help ourselves as a country. Lots of people say she'd never get through due to casual racism but I think the extent of her rage against migrants might paper over some of that. The most racist gammons would still be hate-thirsting after her, while the centrist melts would have a grand old time telling us all how progressive and groundbreaking it would be to have another woman - and a brown one at that! - as PM. 2-0 to the Conservatives!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

iirc Ruth Davidson has always been opposed to Bojo. Didn't she resign as leader of the Scottish Tories when he became PM because of his history of homophobic poo poo?

Ruth Davidson didn't resign as leader of the Scottish Tories when May went into government with a group of fanatics who literally want to murder her wife.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ruth Davidson conveniently forgot how much she dislikes Boris Johnson, and so now she is called Baroness Ruth Davidson.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

Nobody has said anything in support of him

<cough>

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1481291488130736131

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should throw anybody who has been in government in the sea on the grounds that anybody who talks like that is clearly wrong in the head.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of wheel do you turn with shoulders other than the one from conan the barbarian? Surely most capstans would be smaller than that and for other applications you would use a treadmill?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does priti patel own a car with wheels made out of scapulas? Questions must be answered about this subject immediately.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

I weirdly think Priti Patel could do well. She's so comically, anime villain evil we just couldn't help ourselves as a country. Lots of people say she'd never get through due to casual racism but I think the extent of her rage against migrants might paper over some of that. The most racist gammons would still be hate-thirsting after her, while the centrist melts would have a grand old time telling us all how progressive and groundbreaking it would be to have another woman - and a brown one at that! - as PM. 2-0 to the Conservatives!

The right wing primarily hate "the left", whatever they view that as, rather than other races. This seems to be a big blind spot in people understanding them.
They won't care at all if she's not white if that doesn't make her left wing in their eyes. Unlike Muslim loving corbyn or race baiting woke lammy or whoever

Honestly the Labour membership seem more racist and sexist in terms of how they vote for leaders.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

"Fetch one's murdering hat, one shall be stepping out for a while"

A German gun to kill a German son (Mauser C96.. doing it old school). :commissar:

edit:

Barry Foster posted:

How my hair look, Mother?

You look good, boy

That's a sweet callback. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 12, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically I think that is a spanish copy of a german gun because the factory that made those is based in spain.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ruth Davidson also turned on him

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1480850278467440644?s=20

I think part of it is Johnson seems to have had teflon skin for decades in a way that no replacement will. So while he has been getting away with shite and people defending him saying 'he's doing the best he can in a difficult situation', others won't get away with that.

In Ireland during the Celtic Tiger the leader of the country was Bertie Ahern. A man known as the Teflon Taoiseach because no scandal ever stuck to him.
The thing my dad always said was "the funny thing about Teflon is, nothing sticks to it. Until you take a knife to it. When you make a big enough scratch on it, the Teflon just comes off and it never works properly again."
And politically (if not scientifically) he's right. Once Bertie got screwed over enough times his reputation fell apart to such an extent that any time he tried to make a comeback people rounded on him. (As one of my mates said "it got so bad, Bertie got barred from his local pub." That's how you know his reputation was 86ed.)

quote:

I think also that one of the reasons this is re-sounding (shut it... ) so much is that many people probably have a look round and see a lot of governments struggling with covid, don't have any idea what could be done differently. But this, blatant disregard of a law the tories made, that made life very difficult for many people particularly those with elderly, sick and dying relatives, and promptly stuck their fingers up at all the plebs is something that anyone can see is inexcusable.

I think the reason why this is sticking (apart from the media latching onto it and having enough information to keep drip feeding it out for weeks. And that it's a simple enough scandal for people to get.) is all the stories on social media from people who lost relatives and not being able to see them during the lockdown, while this scarecrow kept partying.

Powerful image that.

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD/status/1480902314567389188?s=20

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

honestly, the scenario of PM Patel in the near future is becoming more and more plausible, and idk whether i should start getting (even more) worried or become full-on jokerfied and just laugh all the way to the Evil Eastern European Migrant Detention Centre to give myself in once that happens

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What kind of wheel do you turn with shoulders
Those horse mills where the horse goes around and around that they also used to make slaves and prisoners do before there were treadmills for more mindless punishment.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Those horse mills where the horse goes around and around that they also used to make slaves and prisoners do before there were treadmills for more mindless punishment.

Oh you mean Raab's prison reform?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Technically I think that is a spanish copy of a german gun because the factory that made those is based in spain.

A pimped out Astra Model 900 then?

My knowledge is based mostly on watching C&Rsenal a lot. :blush:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think so yes! There is a good forgotten weapons videos on damascening if you check youtube, really impressive work.

Apparently wikipedia says they gave a pile of them to Stalin during the spanish civil war, not sure what Stalin would use 30 odd gold spanish mausers for but I guess they thought it would help.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The queen refused to pay for it, didn't she?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tfw mummy won't pay your noncing money

OwlFancier posted:

damascening
When Paul witnessed MCR live on the road to Damascus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Was it on here someone was asking about the lorry situation?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-lorries-stuck-customs-b1990961.html

quote:

Lorries stuck at checkpoints for four days due to ‘terrible’ new Brexit red tape
Exclusive: Logistics firm told HMRC is ‘too busy’ to deal with trucks stuck in customs controls

etc

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/katierazz/status/1481307310534402049?s=19

TIL that the BBC has a nonce statue

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm too burned out and stressed at this point to feel even a modicum of joy at seeing Boris get hosed over

I'm actually quite sad about it, I always thought I'd feel something, but nope, I look inside and all I hear is the wind whistling through

Even jokerfication has let me down

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I find it comforting to think that, for all our doomering about the world being in danger because of politics and climate change and killer viruses etc, it really isn't. We are, but the world will adapt and will get on just as it ever did. New species will evolve and crawl around the crumbling remains of our civilisation, the sun will rise, the waves will crash into the shores, nature will heal, and all of humanity will be a tiny footnote in the history of the earth.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

And politically (if not scientifically) he's right. Once Bertie got screwed over enough times his reputation fell apart to such an extent that any time he tried to make a comeback people rounded on him. (As one of my mates said "it got so bad, Bertie got barred from his local pub." That's how you know his reputation was 86ed.)

I don't actually think he was ever barred from Fagan's. And the barmen there are cunts, who wouldn't let me in with my small and cute doggo during the summer - a cursed place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I find it comforting to think that, for all our doomering about the world being in danger because of politics and climate change and killer viruses etc, it really isn't. We are, but the world will adapt and will get on just as it ever did. New species will evolve and crawl around the crumbling remains of our civilisation, the sun will rise, the waves will crash into the shores, nature will heal, and all of humanity will be a tiny footnote in the history of the earth.

Go check out the biosphere collapse thread in CSPAM lol

because that, uh, is not exactly guaranteed