Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I finally managed to grind my way through greed mode enough to unlock Holy Mantle for Lost and what a game changer, it's wild that a genuinely fun challenge character is locked behind such an arduous task. Not to mention, I finally feel up to unlocking the tainted characters now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ariong posted:

I genuinely don't understand why they would do the "play as two characters thing" and then implement it in a way where you're almost always playing as either two lovely characters or one character plus a total dead weight extra body. It's so much better when they're both good.

i mean basically the same idea that has been motivating new characters since flash isaac; every new character has to be some new variation of challenge mode. blue baby was intended to be the ultimate challenge, then eve, then the lost, then...

azazel, keeper, and bethany are the only non-tainted characters other than the OG easily-unlockable cast that were designed around a core concept that's supposed to be "interesting" rather than "hard". a lot of the old challenge characters have transformed into more "interesting" than "hard" over time as the game changed around them - angel rooms made blue baby really good, the lost got holy mantle, etc. etc. - but that's more about the game improving than the design philosophy behind the characters improving

woke kaczynski posted:

I finally managed to grind my way through greed mode enough to unlock Holy Mantle for Lost and what a game changer, it's wild that a genuinely fun challenge character is locked behind such an arduous task. Not to mention, I finally feel up to unlocking the tainted characters now.

strongly recommend the Greed Mode Improved mod. it makes greed/greedier slightly easier but mostly just by making it actually fair (most of the time) with a bunch of small tweaks. i actually really enjoy greed mode with this mod, it feels a lot more interesting and more in line with the regular game in encounter, item, secret room, etc. quality

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 10, 2022

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Ariong posted:

Just found out that as of Repentence, red and purple fireplaces only fire once for as long as you're in a room. Once they fire a shot, they're safe until you leave and re-enter the room.

:staredog: nice dude had a lost run die to this a few years back so that makes life easier

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

No Wave posted:

Oh I hate curse of the labyrinth the most because of how badly it screws you out of angel/devil rooms. I think it's more damaging to my runs than any of the others even if it's less obnoxious.

I think a decent compromise here would be yeah it eats your angel/devil deal but it also sets the percentage to 100%

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Esau moves just like Mother's Shadow in the knife piece 2 escape and only charges if Jacob is positioned correctly. Esau will never charge during a paralysis pill, so you can pop pills with no worries. Do not take Birthright.

WRONG

ALWAYS TAKE BIRTHRIGHT

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 10, 2022

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

No Wave posted:

Oh I hate curse of the labyrinth the most because of how badly it screws you out of angel/devil rooms. I think it's more damaging to my runs than any of the others even if it's less obnoxious.

I'm on Switch so it might have been fixed on the PC patch, but if you get XL on the first floor, and get the Devil room then when you drop down a floor you'll have 67% Angel chance instead of the normal 33%.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I wish you could unlock stuff for basic characters as tainted ones.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I killed myself holding the missing poster in the sacrifice room to unlock the Lost. However, the last bit of damage teleported me to the angel room where i died. It did not unlock the Lost. I'm very very very mad considering I'm close to 400 secrets unlocked on my file and still haven't unlocked the Lost.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Yeah it's best to only use the sac room on the last bit of health for that. Just try to harm your character before entering the sac room

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you’re playing on PC, External Item Descriptions will tell you what stage of the sacrifice room you’re on and what will happen on the next sac.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Blood Puppy is pretty ridic for greedier mode.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could have sworn Keeper and Tainted Keeper could get 1 extra HP from HP items, then another from Birthright. Was I wrong about that?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you’re right about normal keeper but also if you beat hush with him you start out with that third heart

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I could have sworn Keeper and Tainted Keeper could get 1 extra HP from HP items, then another from Birthright. Was I wrong about that?

Greed's Gullet and Mother's Kiss are the only ways to increase the HP of Tainted Keeper, outside of holy mantle-like shields.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Greed's Gullet is practically a free win though if you can get it on tainted Keeper though. You get so much HP.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I know everyone is tired of hearing "gently caress Jacob and Esau" but man gently caress Jacob and Esau. Managed to get rock bottom easily enough with an early ipecac but now I'm trying to get them through isaac for angel shops and wow every part of playing this character is just misery.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

how many times am i going to die in the mirror world because i forget that wormwood spawns tiny leeches when he busts out of the wall

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Jazerus posted:

how many times am i going to die in the mirror world because i forget that wormwood spawns tiny leeches when he busts out of the wall

simply be a coward like me and do not boss fight in mirror world

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Too Many Birds posted:

simply be a coward like me and do not boss fight in mirror world

Or fight the boss in regular world to see which one it is and only do the mirror world one if it's a boss you're confident you can beat

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah i was confident i could beat him tho

and then i stood there for 2 seconds basking in victory and died

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Turdlet is the Downpour/Dross boss I am least likely to go for in the mirrored world. It's just so difficult to predict. I'll only go for it if I am confident I can A) kill it quickly and B) finish the fight within a few seconds of the second phase starting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wormwood is the one I don't gently caress with. It's a longer fight because he's invincible/not on screen so much.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah I find Wormwood way too risky

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

You get an item if you fight the mirror world boss? Is it always the same as the regular boss?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

You get an item if you fight the mirror world boss? Is it always the same as the regular boss?

yeah always the same boss but a different item. no deal chance either. it's pretty risky but it's early enough in the run that i go for it unless it's colostomia or min-min. wormwood is pretty easy as the lost tbh, just have to be sure you remember the leeches

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Strange, wormwood is the boss I am most confident in. All of its attacks are predictable, and it only has three. Thus, the strategy is uncomplicated and reliable.

Mons Hubris posted:

No. In fact, it will always be different, because the first one is removed from the boss item pool when it spawns.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone know why my hearts don't return to me sometimes when using Sumporium with T. Eve? I have plenty of room in the health bar but they just stay as clots for some reason.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ariong posted:

Turdlet is the Downpour/Dross boss I am least likely to go for in the mirrored world. It's just so difficult to predict. I'll only go for it if I am confident I can A) kill it quickly and B) finish the fight within a few seconds of the second phase starting.

Huh, see I don't mind him at all because you always have flight & so you're guaranteed immune to his whirlpool effect

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just beat Mega Satan, then Delerium as T-Bethany. I got the completion mark for Delerium, but not Mega Satan. Does anyone know why this might have happened?

goferchan posted:

Huh, see I don't mind him at all because you always have flight & so you're guaranteed immune to his whirlpool effect

No, Turdlet is the worm one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ariong posted:

I just beat Mega Satan, then Delerium as T-Bethany. I got the completion mark for Delerium, but not Mega Satan. Does anyone know why this might have happened?

No, Turdlet is the worm one.

if you have the Always Void mod and enable it for Mega Stan you will not get Mega Stan unlocks, this is the only known issue I know related to Mega Stan unlocks. As long as you disable Always Void forcing the portal for Mega Stan, the unlocks will work normally so you don't have to turn the mod off all the way.

Basically if you want both Mega Stan and Delirium unlocks you need to do it vanilla and pray for that 50% void portal spawn chance. Or bring a teleport card/pill in and use it after to go to the blue baby void portal if you're using AV.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh dang, I just installed it specifically for that fight. Well, thanks.

That’s one of the things I find pretty irritating. The cathedral, chest, sheol, and dark room are cool floors! I want to play them! Yet if you want to fight Mother, the Beast, or a guaranteed shot at Delerium, you have to skip them. So if I get a super awesome build I’m faced with the choice: do I use this build to fight one of the harder final bosses, or do I waste it on one of the easier ones so I can play with it for more than 5-10 minutes?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh any news on when the latest patch is coming to consoles?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Second try of DELETE THIS challenge and I got a 0 charge item that damages the entire room. Pretty sure that was my fastest run of binding of isaac ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

poemdexter posted:

Second try of DELETE THIS challenge and I got a 0 charge item that damages the entire room. Pretty sure that was my fastest run of binding of isaac ever.

I hate that challenge so much I keep restarting to see if I'll luck out and spawn the victory trophy in the first room

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nyoro posted:

I hate that challenge so much I keep restarting to see if I'll luck out and spawn the victory trophy in the first room

I hated the "throw the exploding head" challenge much much much more than anything else. It was an exercise in patience that I just don't have when I play.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just managed to get Isaac, Mega Satan and Void knocked out for T. Keeper. Ended up getting proptosis, holy mantle, 9 lives, and Keeper's Head. Among a ton of other great items.

It was a total gimme run but I feel like you need that to actually beat some of those bullet hell bosses.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I finally had the missing poster appear for me. Appeared on depths 2. No sacrifice room spawned in the womb, sheol or the dark room.

I hate this lol. At least the original Lost unlock method was just convoluted, not based completely on luck. If it ever does show up again I get the joy of throwing a potentially good run in the toilet too.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Unlocking the lost is like getting poo poo on by a bird. It'll happen eventually so no point in worrying about it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The most successful strategy for forcing the Missing Poster to drop when you need the Lost unlock seems to be having a really, really good run going that you don't want to throw away by committing suicide.

(alternatively, if you really want to feel like you're doing something to influence the odds, play Cain, stockpile coins and look for secret rooms/arcades/Wheel of Fortune cards and hope for fortune teller machines. I think with Lucky Foot you've got like a 1/7 chance of them dropping a trinket per coin and that's probably the easiest way to cycle through them en masse -- even if they don't drop Missing Poster, whatever trinkets they drop get removed from the pool making Missing Poster more likely to appear later)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is Cursed Eye EVER worth taking? I'm curious if anyone has had a build where you don't turn 360 degrees and walk away when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if your build is trash it can be a very powerful tool to get you through the game. but you'll inevitably hate yourself for taking it at least once in the run even if it was worth it