Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get the idea of wanting people to have some investment in a character/build, but I still think that LE is too punishing in that regard. Especially while leveling, you want me to experiment with different builds, don't completely hamstring me if I want to change some things up. Even in PoE you only have to level up a skill gem once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The last epoch tools site has a build planner and upload; that also tells you where to find your save files

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Taking x amount of time to relevel a skill is more punishing than PoE in the long run, unless they let you bank levels when you've got time sunk at max level. Because at least in poe you can bank respec currency, or just trade for it when you want it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1_temp is there but 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1 is not :smith:

Lets find out if I can just rename it....At a glance _N and _N_temp look identical?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Hell yea you can just drop the _temp off the back :D

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't remember my skill respec taking 5-10 hours. Felt much quicker, but I'm in empowered monoliths and finishing them within 4-6mins. Exp gain at lower levels is slower and the amount of exp to level a skill is fixed, so being a higher level makes respeccing much easier.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm happy that LE has kinda de-emphasized resists through their changes to the damage formula: 75% res means you're not taking extra damage at endgame because you've made up for the innate penetration, but even if you somehow go in with 0 res, you're taking 1.75x damage compared to someone capped at endgame, rather than the 4x damage you would be in other games.

There is that, at least! If I had to GUESS, the absolutism regarding resists is a little off the mark, and you could probably get by with a lot of things at 50% if you had a shitload of health or armor or what-have-you, but eventually those resists are going to be pretty low-hanging fruit if you want to push the infinite progression.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sab669 posted:

:toot: Hell yea you can just drop the _temp off the back :D

:toot:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Papercut posted:

Taking x amount of time to relevel a skill is more punishing than PoE in the long run, unless they let you bank levels when you've got time sunk at max level. Because at least in poe you can bank respec currency, or just trade for it when you want it.

Yeah, even a casual player farming the regrets shouldn't need more than a couple of hours to respec a tree in PoE, but I think the real cost is farming the gear. LE makes the gear end a bit easier and the skill end slower in my opinion. This isn't a useful insight, now I think about it.

What I would say is that often I find skills are actually "complete" in terms of the build enabling stuff a bit earlier, and then the last few points are just topping up on minor % boost type picks.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Honestly I hesitated to give a specific time because I don't remember how long I played last weekend! Steam tells me I've played 14h in the past couple of weeks so that's the guess I gave. But it felt way quicker than I expected it to (granted I'd just finished relevelling a skill in PoE before I hit the wall in that league so my expectations were pessimistic).

I don't remember how GD does respecs - it's basically just gold cost without time cost, right? I guess there couldn't be a time cost since there's no individual skill levelling, just allocating points you get from your character level.

Offline saves are just straight JSONs so whipping up an editor should be easy (or already done, I haven't looked). I don't think they're planning on an open online mode but I haven't seen them answer that specific question so we'll see I guess.

ya, the gold costs become negligible within the first hour or two of play; maybe a bit longer for the devotion (more comparable to passives) tree which has a different mat. either way, it really lowers the bar on tinkering while leveling a new skill.

doing something like having the experience gained be tied to the slot rather than the skill might help. like, it still takes longer to progress and there's decision-making about which skills go into the more-leveled slots while still learning the ins-and-outs of a new character. at the high-end it doesn't matter since they're all 18-20 anyways.

also good to know about the JSON thing; i might poke around and see if someone's made a save game editor

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I don't personally see the purpose in having a cost associated with skill and passive respecs, especially not in a single player or non-persistent multiplayer game.

Oh boy I got a new unique that works with a certain skill. I'd like to try it out but I only get half the skill points of my current skill, and if I don't like it, I have to re-level my other skill and am punished for experimenting!

In reference to other systems with costly respecs, or as a means to force a cost to respecs, Last Epoch does a good job and it's an interesting system. The problem is that costly respecs discourage the best parts of having a complicated set of skills, passives, gear, and interactions between them: experimentation.

There's really no reason skill mastery has to be lost when you change it. Just give each skill its own mastery stats. If I switch off of X skill, let me have the same progress when I come back to it. Why punish the player for trying something else?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Werebear kicks so much rear end and I love that they give it to you as your first Druid skill. (Also, it's the first class I've played where you aren't making any real tradeoffs for playing with a controller :thumbsup: ) Just loving hulking out with huge satisfying swipes and smashes.

That's another front-loading decision that EHG made regarding progression. Your key transformation is a skill you would get at the end of the leveling process in D3 or PoE, and so you'd have to play a build that sucked for like 20 hours before it got fun. Another, unrelated, smart decision was having you finish the progression leveling in endgame content, all ARPGs are a race to the endgame and the devs were like "what if we made it start at the midgame".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I don't personally see the purpose in having a cost associated with skill and passive respecs, especially not in a single player or non-persistent multiplayer game.

Oh boy I got a new unique that works with a certain skill. I'd like to try it out but I only get half the skill points of my current skill, and if I don't like it, I have to re-level my other skill and am punished for experimenting!

In reference to other systems with costly respecs, or as a means to force a cost to respecs, Last Epoch does a good job and it's an interesting system. The problem is that costly respecs discourage the best parts of having a complicated set of skills, passives, gear, and interactions between them: experimentation.

There's really no reason skill mastery has to be lost when you change it. Just give each skill its own mastery stats. If I switch off of X skill, let me have the same progress when I come back to it. Why punish the player for trying something else?

I assume at least part of the reason is they don't want people switching back and forth whenever, for example blasting through zones with an aoe/clear setup and then just respeccing when you hit a boss.

I also think there is some truth to the feeling of being invested in a character.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Werebear kicks so much rear end and I love that they give it to you as your first Druid skill. (Also, it's the first class I've played where you aren't making any real tradeoffs for playing with a controller :thumbsup: ) Just loving hulking out with huge satisfying swipes and smashes.

That's another front-loading decision that EHG made regarding progression. Your key transformation is a skill you would get at the end of the leveling process in D3 or PoE, and so you'd have to play a build that sucked for like 20 hours before it got fun. Another, unrelated, smart decision was having you finish the progression leveling in endgame content, all ARPGs are a race to the endgame and the devs were like "what if we made it start at the midgame".

:yeah:

I borrowed my friends bnet account last summer and played D2 Resurrected, forgot how lovely Druids were in that game. And just how janky D2 feels by modern standards. So having a sick rear end Werebear in Last Epoch has been my jam as well.
I wish it were more viable to scale both your ow Physical Damage as well as Minion Damage, because I wanna dump 5 points into Beastmaster to get Summon Bear, but it's just not good :(

Side note: renaming that _temp file to restore my missing character -- I seem to have lost my Shared Stash (including purchased Tabs), and my Loot Filters :(

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

Side note: renaming that _temp file to restore my missing character -- I seem to have lost my Shared Stash (including purchased Tabs), and my Loot Filters :(

Drop the _temp off of Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta_temp and those should come back too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Too late; looking into my Stash created a new Globa_Data_Beta file and updated the old _temp too.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Papercut posted:

I assume at least part of the reason is they don't want people switching back and forth whenever, for example blasting through zones with an aoe/clear setup and then just respeccing when you hit a boss.

I also think there is some truth to the feeling of being invested in a character.

i hear that; i just think there are more direct ways to do it ala FF14, grim dawn's key dungeons, and even literally how LE already works since if you portal out of a monolith you have to restart it. idk maybe it works differently in other types of endgame content i haven't seen yet

tangenting into feeling invested in a character via FF14 -- i'm invested AF in my potato *because* respeccing is so painless. obvs it's a different system in a different genre, but i think it underscores that "invested in a character" and "barriers to swapping that character into a different playstyle on the fly" are two separate constructs. to the extent that they're related, it seems more like a personal preference thing

which, to be extremely clear is cool. different strokes, different folks, etc

re: losing shared stash and tabs: :froggonk:

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 12, 2022

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I just respecced after hitting 70 and my skills were back to level 18 before I hit 71. Didn't seem too punishing, really. It does suck a lot more at low levels, I'm sure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

At some point they really should just make your Min Skill Level = 20 though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Took 3 tries to kill Lagon, his cold (?) beam is definitely really spooky. Even with 1500 HP, max resists and great Endurance if I stood in it for more than half a second I was dead. And sometimes my pathing would just seem to lock up, but maybe I was stunned?

I think the Monoliths need to be more rewarding. I didn't really time myself but it probably took 60-80 minutes to do all the Echoes + the 2 Monolith Quests before it... And my rewards are +Lightning Resist, which is maxed. +Cold Damage, which I don't deal. Or +Freeze Multiplier, which I don't deal.

The previous monolith had equally disinteresting rewards. At least on the first one I got a thing that increases Unique drop rates marginally.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

Took 3 tries to kill Lagon, his cold (?) beam is definitely really spooky. Even with 1500 HP, max resists and great Endurance if I stood in it for more than half a second I was dead. And sometimes my pathing would just seem to lock up, but maybe I was stunned?

I think the Monoliths need to be more rewarding. I didn't really time myself but it probably took 60-80 minutes to do all the Echoes + the 2 Monolith Quests before it... And my rewards are +Lightning Resist, which is maxed. +Cold Damage, which I don't deal. Or +Freeze Multiplier, which I don't deal.

The previous monolith had equally disinteresting rewards. At least on the first one I got a thing that increases Unique drop rates marginally.

Blessing are just a bonus, the real treasure is the friends you make loot you get along the way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sure, but that hardly feels like even a bonus.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's a huge bonus with the grand blessings. Like the leech from throwing attacks from Rayeh is amazing for some builds. The crit avoidance one opens up an item. There's endurance and endurance threshold available too which are massive.

The one thing I don't like about blessings is they are treated like an item drop that I have to constantly farm. Grinding up the stability to take another crack at Lagon or Heirot or Rayeh to get the right blessing at the right roll is a little too much treadmill. Would much rather they increase in quality with experience or with completed timelines or something.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do ailments stack 'infinitely'? Like my Shred Armor stacks just say "15+", so I assume there's more but if so why doesn't the game just tell me how many...

There seems to be a lot of Redundancy in the various Necromancer skills & passives, it makes it really hard to figure out what's worth taking. I can get +200% Minion Armor Shred Chance from passives, and another +100% Chance from Bone Curse.

I know that 300% Chance means 1 hit = 3 stacks, but I hit 15 stacks really quickly so like I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to invest in more depending on what's actually happening under the hood....

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Do ailments stack 'infinitely'? Like my Shred Armor stacks just say "15+", so I assume there's more but if so why doesn't the game just tell me how many...

There seems to be a lot of Redundancy in the various Necromancer skills & passives, it makes it really hard to figure out what's worth taking. I can get +200% Minion Armor Shred Chance from passives, and another +100% Chance from Bone Curse.

I know that 300% Chance means 1 hit = 3 stacks, but I hit 15 stacks really quickly so like I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to invest in more depending on what's actually happening under the hood....

Apparently its a resource issue that limits excessive amount of stacks to show in either UI or visual effects.

AFAIK effects stack indefinetely.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh, weird. Good to know.

Skeleton Mages feel tremendously weak; it's so easy to find Minion Physical Damage all over the place whereas Minion Necrotic Damage is practically nonexistent, as well as other elemental types should you specialize into the skill and pick up the Pyro/Cryomancer. And the Physical Damage helps out Golems too. Of course just straight, vanilla "Minion Damage" is best of all but :shrug: Given that I only have 3 mages but 7 regular skeletons I'd expect them to feel much better than "slow moving projectile"

e; watching a Necro build guide, I guess it's more prominent later on + more Skill Levels, especially with certain Item Implicits you just don't see while leveling. But yea level 30-40 they just plink for like 40 damage while the rest of my dudes are hitting for 400.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 14, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I keep making alts and respeccing so I've tried out 15 or so different builds, and I can't find a good ranged build/class. what do you guys like, especially for sorc

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Assuming I can share my build later I'll post it, but I had decent success up to ~75 with Volcanic Orb and Meteor and a whole bunch of +Fire Damage.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Mikojan posted:

Apparently its a resource issue that limits excessive amount of stacks to show in either UI or visual effects.

AFAIK effects stack indefinetely.

It makes me super curious about their spaghetti code that they can calculate the damage from unlimited stacks of bleed, but it's too resource intensive to actually display the number of stacks.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Vulpes posted:

It makes me super curious about their spaghetti code that they can calculate the damage from unlimited stacks of bleed, but it's too resource intensive to actually display the number of stacks.

Yea its all a bit weird, for what it's worth here is the dev post adressing this question:

quote:

We would love to be able to give the full ailment stack counts. We can’t do it without compromising the performance of the game. I know this seems like a trivial system. It’s something that people were very confused about why we didn’t have it at all for a long time. This has been on our feature request list for years. The 15 stack limit is the only way we have been able to get the performance we need to not cause major problems.

If we find a way to increase the visible stack count, we will.

Apparently increasing the stack counter by 1 doubles the resources that go into it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

0-15

variable sizes strike again lol

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Captain Foo posted:

0-15

variable sizes strike again lol

That's not it this time, because it also knows when it's more than 15, so that's 17 states in total.

I remember seeing another quote along the lines of it being to the order of an O(log n) problem to calculate the number of stacks, and becoming prohibitively costly past ~15 stacks. My best guess is that their UI code must be so siloed-off from their calculations that it requires a whole separate calculation just to return the number of stacks, and the way the stacks are stored doesn't allow you say 'give me all the stacks for this NPC'. It's really bugging me though!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vulpes posted:

That's not it this time, because it also knows when it's more than 15, so that's 17 states in total.

I remember seeing another quote along the lines of it being to the order of an O(log n) problem to calculate the number of stacks, and becoming prohibitively costly past ~15 stacks. My best guess is that their UI code must be so siloed-off from their calculations that it requires a whole separate calculation just to return the number of stacks, and the way the stacks are stored doesn't allow you say 'give me all the stacks for this NPC'. It's really bugging me though!

going full speculation i'd guess that the damage-dealing code doesn't actually keep track of the number of stacks but rather it processes everything available

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Captain Foo posted:

going full speculation i'd guess that the damage-dealing code doesn't actually keep track of the number of stacks but rather it processes everything available

They need to store it on some kind of per-stack basis though because each stack can have a different duration and a different DPS/effect. Even if they are fudging that part and making every stack the same, each stack still has to have it's own expiry time. So it's not just as simple as merging them into one big stack with a single value.

I don't work on performance-critical applications or games so I guess there's a bunch of tricks I don't know about that make this more complex than it seems. Or they just wrote some dumb code and now it's too late to change it. Either way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

speaking of stacks, does Increased Damage While Channeling affect poison stacks generated by Flurry?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vulpes posted:

They need to store it on some kind of per-stack basis though because each stack can have a different duration and a different DPS/effect. Even if they are fudging that part and making every stack the same, each stack still has to have it's own expiry time. So it's not just as simple as merging them into one big stack with a single value.

I don't work on performance-critical applications or games so I guess there's a bunch of tricks I don't know about that make this more complex than it seems. Or they just wrote some dumb code and now it's too late to change it. Either way.

anyway that's actually my point, there is no such thing as a Standard Stack so in order to get a count you'd have to call out to the UI code every time you process a stack in order to update the display. the damage calculations only know how many stacks there are after processing all of them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well regardless, poison flurry just mulched majusa

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quad damage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This isn't me but the exact same thing happened to me.

quote:

Currently at Rahyeh’s Warpath. Last night I was in the chamber. Quest direction is to explore and leave the chamber.

Logged for the night. Come back today and I’ve spawned in The End of Time. There is no easily found waypoint to return to the chamber.

I am now stuck unable to complete the quest.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The new Dev Blog is out. They've dropped the Bazaar idea and are going to implement some form of item trading.

There also going to focus a lot more on Dungeons. There's two more coming out, each with unique rewards.

Plus a whole bunch of unique item models, visual changes, animation adds, under-the-hood changes, etc.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/0-8-5-on-the-horizon-development-update-january-2022/47651