Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BrainDance posted:

He was cool with Silver Surfer so I don't think he'd have many problems with spiderman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FLRlVnHJQ

fuckin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
there are some really funny YouTube Poops made from King of the Hill, but YTP could have its own award show themed on poorly aged jokes

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If you havent read the incredible biography about LBJ by Robert Caro (I think he's been working on the series since like the 70s), there is a part talking about LBJ running for congress where he gives so many hearty handshakes campaigning around Texas that his hands are swollen and bruised at the end of the day, and he had to put some kind of unguent on them so he could get ready to do it all again the next day. Apparently a manly handshake was critically important.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

He respects that woman governor of texas and she was a dem. he just didnt like it when she dated Bill.

To be fair, that is definitely grounds to bring her judgement into question.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hank had a crisis of faith when he shook W's hand during his 2000 campaign, and the guy was practically genetically engineered to be Hank's presidential candidate. I don't he'd even entertain the idea of Trump. He'd probably have stayed through with Dale's Christmas shopping in Mexico idea in 2016.

Biden would have won him over because he's Ronald Reagan in all but name.

A lot of Hank's big plot dilemmas are basically about how he's extremely rigid in his beliefs and habits despite being smart enough to know better, and tends to do the right thing under pressure but not really reflect on it enough to rethink his worldview.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The other part of Hank's issues is that almost everyone in Arlen is really, really dumb, incompetent, or lazy. The episode where he goes to therapy to get over his fear off guns is a good exsmple,

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Hank knows an honorable handshake is a firm grip and one up and down pump. Trump turned handshakes into stupid power moves where he wouldn't let go and yank hard on the other person's arm. Hank would not be impressed.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Randallteal posted:

Reminds me of the Mass Effect 2 quest where you can get paragon points by convincing a corporate rep to buy a slave on the uncontrolled capitalism planet.

Yeah but it was house elf rules where she really really wanted to be a slave.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beartaco posted:

Yeah but it was house elf rules where she really really wanted to be a slave.

something something don't kinkshame

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah that whole part is icky and I don't understand why they even tried to tackle it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah that whole part is icky and I don't understand why they even tried to tackle it.

Oh thats very easy to understand. They wanted to prove games stories could be "difficult and complicated" and immediately set put proving why, while that may be true, they werent the writers who could pull it off

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Weren't the Paragon/Renegade choices kind of explicitly not simply good/bad? Like, I thought there were multiple cases where the former was more about defending the status quo than being good.

Not that that means that situation was handled well, but there's at least something interesting there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Martman posted:

Weren't the Paragon/Renegade choices kind of explicitly not simply good/bad? Like, I thought there were multiple cases where the former was more about defending the status quo than being good.

Not that that means that situation was handled well, but there's at least something interesting there.

Paragon is something like lawful good most of the time. It's coherent enough overall (with some notable exceptions).

Renegade is an inconsistent mess of pragmatism, space-racism, general arsesholeishness and occasionally just evil for the sake of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Renegade is more Dirty Harry than outright villain. Except sometimes when it's the genocide choice.

.I like Alpha Protocol where you options are essentially Jason Bourne (cold but professional), Jack Bauer (blunt and ruthless, ends justify the means), and James Bond (Sexual harassment).

Also the end mission screen has "orphans created" and "henchmen hospital bills" so even if you do a 100% non-lethal run the game makes you clear you're definitely destroying a bunch of lives.

Shame about how buggy it is.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Lakedaimon posted:

If you havent read the incredible biography about LBJ by Robert Caro (I think he's been working on the series since like the 70s), there is a part talking about LBJ running for congress where he gives so many hearty handshakes campaigning around Texas that his hands are swollen and bruised at the end of the day, and he had to put some kind of unguent on them so he could get ready to do it all again the next day. Apparently a manly handshake was critically important.

Same thing for Lincoln - he had his face and hands cast at one point and one of his hands is noticably swollen/larger because of handshaking

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_524360

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SgtScruffy posted:

Same thing for Lincoln - he had his face and hands cast at one point and one of his hands is noticably swollen/larger because of handshaking

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_524360

The things historians will say to cover for a prolific masturbator

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Renegade is more Dirty Harry than outright villain. Except sometimes when it's the genocide choice.

.I like Alpha Protocol where you options are essentially Jason Bourne (cold but professional), Jack Bauer (blunt and ruthless, ends justify the means), and James Bond (Sexual harassment).

Also the end mission screen has "orphans created" and "henchmen hospital bills" so even if you do a 100% non-lethal run the game makes you clear you're definitely destroying a bunch of lives.

Shame about how buggy it is.

I think my favorite part about Alpha Protocol is that there's that one guy who always gets away in the end.

Unless you choose the Bond choices the entire time and he gets so mad at you making a mockery of your career that he personally comes out to fight you.

And you have to do it the entire game because if you pick just the Bond choices with him he realizes you're just trying to rile him up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

The things historians will say to cover for a prolific masturbator

musta been some kind of ritual

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

I think my favorite part about Alpha Protocol is that there's that one guy who always gets away in the end.

Unless you choose the Bond choices the entire time and he gets so mad at you making a mockery of your career that he personally comes out to fight you.

And you have to do it the entire game because if you pick just the Bond choices with him he realizes you're just trying to rile him up.

Archer choices, not Bond choices - you need to be a huge prick to get him properly angry.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RaspberryCommie posted:

I think in the latter case you actually gain approval because he sees you trying to play him as just being good at your job.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Martman posted:

I feel one of the easy examples of this is in the first game where you have the opportunity to convince a corporate rep that exterminating a colony is bad. The Paragon route (which requires such a high check you probably won't get it on a first run) is being a savvy businessperson and explaining how it will be more profitable if you are allowed to use non-lethal methods and keep everyone alive. The Renegade route is intimidating him by pulling a gun and threatening to kill him, which is weird because if you don't have enough points to pass either check you have to kill him anyway because otherwise he will turn his guards on you so no one can report on why this colony is gonna get destroyed.

I kinda feel that the use of the term Paragon doesn't seem the best when you contrast it to stuff like the above example or the whole slave thing. Considering you can offer to buyout a contract on a different planet for a similar situation, is kind of interesting they decided to go the House Elf route in that one case but then again, these are the same writers that thought their 11th hour ending was a good way to cap off their story.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBH I thought it was kind of funny that asari didn't have the same chattel slavery experience under their system so they just write off humans being uncomfortable with slavery as some weird quirk we have.

I mean it's not a super well-written moment but I think it's one of the few times another species just has a completely alien set of values. I don't know.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This is the same planet where you can convince an Asari to basically marry her Krogan bf, right? The one with such compelling arguments as "I can't move on after 100 years because he died, like you humans, we'll be stuck together for the rest of our lives!"

At least they got the elf aspect correct

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Aces High posted:

I kinda feel that the use of the term Paragon doesn't seem the best when you contrast it to stuff like the above example or the whole slave thing. Considering you can offer to buyout a contract on a different planet for a similar situation, is kind of interesting they decided to go the House Elf route in that one case but then again, these are the same writers that thought their 11th hour ending was a good way to cap off their story.

I thought the problem there was that it was not, in fact, the same writers, and the actual ended was something of an rear end-pull that went in a radically different direction from what had originally been planned.

That said, Bioware writing in general has not held up well to the last decade or two of evolution in the medium.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RaspberryCommie posted:

There's another way to kill him that involved piecing together the backstory of three different characters.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

christmas boots posted:

TBH I thought it was kind of funny that asari didn't have the same chattel slavery experience under their system so they just write off humans being uncomfortable with slavery as some weird quirk we have.

I mean it's not a super well-written moment but I think it's one of the few times another species just has a completely alien set of values. I don't know.

I did like that the whole "secret agent above the law" thing with Spectres seems to be just that kind of nonhuman value system at work once you get more background. They were formed back when the Asari and Salarians were the only ones running things, and a Spectre is almost literally a cross between an Asari justicar and a Salarian STG agent, so you can see why they'd come up with that sort of idea together. Most of the suspicion of Spectres we see is from Turians, who obviously wouldn't like anyone unaccountable working alone like Spectres tend to (don't recall any human statements on Spectres beyond "getting a human Spectre is a sign of human political power, we want it!", no real moral judgements I recall).

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I dunno if this counts as aging poorly, but a lot of tough choices in Mass Effect could've been negated if simply chose not to inexplicably leave all but two of your highly skilled teammates on the ship. Like the Zaeed mission; You can either save a bunch of civilians or go after Zaeed's enemy. If you brought a second team with you you easily could've done both.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I dunno if this counts as aging poorly, but a lot of tough choices in Mass Effect could've been negated if simply chose not to inexplicably leave all but two of your highly skilled teammates on the ship. Like the Zaeed mission; You can either save a bunch of civilians or go after Zaeed's enemy. If you brought a second team with you you easily could've done both.

Except for the one time, where you take all of your team, and your entire crew is immediately kidnapped by bug aliens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

Someone else mentioned its more Archer then Bond. You have to be a sarcastic prick about almost everything and just refuse to do any sp work correctly.

You can literally troll a life long CIA spook into losing his poo poo and trying to kill you instead of his 20+ years pattern of ghosting the op after burning it down and moving on the next one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

aegof posted:

Except for the one time, where you take all of your team, and your entire crew is immediately kidnapped by bug aliens.
This one is extra stupid because it doesn't even necessarily involve a mission. Once you get the plot thingamajig, the game needs to get Shepard and their crew off the ship, so the next time you try to go anywhere you get that cutscene where Shepard squeezes themselves and a dozen other people in the tiny shuttle that looks like it seats about four, while talking about some vague "mission" they need to complete. I guess that shopping trip to the Citadel I was gonna make was really important!

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Gaunab posted:

Ewww, you have a favorite Trump

It was funny how he clowned all of the republican candidates, who had absolutely no idea how to respond to him. His schtick of saying some of the dumbest poo poo ever was more entertaining under the premise that he didn't have a chance in hell at winning (it's me, i'm the idiot that believed this).

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Mass Effect is one of the most egregious examples of the late 00s-early 10s obsession with morality systems and choice, but the choice is very shallow, between good and evil.

Once you've made a few choices to be good or evil, you pretty much have to stick with it, as you build a meter in either direction over the course of the game and you won't fill either enough if you alternate between paragon and renegade. It also doesn't make sense narratively to alternate between choice types since, Shep just comes off as psychotically insane as he/she alternates between bro-hugging or mercing various side characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Schlong Connery posted:

It was funny how he clowned all of the republican candidates, who had absolutely no idea how to respond to him. His schtick of saying some of the dumbest poo poo ever was more entertaining under the premise that he didn't have a chance in hell at winning (it's me, i'm the idiot that believed this).

I wouldn't call you an idiot. I personally thought that Trump had no chance of winning after he basically admitted wanting to gently caress Ivanka. I didn't realise exactly how many Republicans would treat him as Noah.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Schlong Connery posted:

Mass Effect is one of the most egregious examples of the late 00s-early 10s obsession with morality systems and choice, but the choice is very shallow, between good and evil.

Once you've made a few choices to be good or evil, you pretty much have to stick with it, as you build a meter in either direction over the course of the game and you won't fill either enough if you alternate between paragon and renegade. It also doesn't make sense narratively to alternate between choice types since, Shep just comes off as psychotically insane as he/she alternates between bro-hugging or mercing various side characters.

ME3 at least ditched the paragon and renegage points in favor of a reputation stat, so your not pigeonholed by choices like in 2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Paragon/Renegade was just the latest in a line of Bioware dressing up a good/evil scale. Knights of the Old Republic was light side/dark side, Jade Empire was open hand/closed fist.

It was pretty much always just good/evil with the most paper-thin of set dressing over it. Like I remember in Jade Empire they were like, "Closed fist isn't evil, it's just tough love, teaching people to stand up for themselves" and then the Closed Fist options are stuff like "Steal the power of god for myself, condemning everyone else" and "Kick a man in the face and steal his lunch"

The big crappy thing about that system was that you really only make one choice - am I going to do a "good" playthrough or an "evil" playthrough, and then you stick with that for the whole game, making no further actual choices, just picking the blue or red dialogue options in line with the choice you made dozens of hours ago. A system where there aren't plain good or evil choices with points attached to them produces much more interesting choices and makes the player actually think about consequences. Good/evil points are thought terminators.

Gort has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jan 13, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Schlong Connery posted:

One of the Star Wars games (maybe the first Jedi Knight one?) was full of hype about how your actions in the game determine which side of the force you will chose, but the only choice that matters is about half way through you get the option to kill a defenceless civilian for no reason and the only consequence is some minor dialogue changes and a few slightly different force powers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Closed Fist had a few choices that really followed the philosoohy it was supposed to be. The big one everyone remembers is that instead of scaring or fighting a slaver yourself, you give the prospective slave a knife and tell her to take her own freedom, and she murders the buyer with her own hands. Or justifying not saving a town during a drought, because there will be more water shortages in the future, and if the village can't handle this one on their own, they are screwed.

Wouldn't mind someone else making a redo of Jade Empire that actually keeps Open/Closed Fist consistent across the whole game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Schubalts posted:

Closed Fist had a few choices that really followed the philosoohy it was supposed to be. The big one everyone remembers is that instead of scaring or fighting a slaver yourself, you give the prospective slave a knife and tell her to take her own freedom, and she murders the buyer with her own hands. Or justifying not saving a town during a drought, because there will be more water shortages in the future, and if the village can't handle this one on their own, they are screwed.

Wouldn't mind someone else making a redo of Jade Empire that actually keeps Open/Closed Fist consistent across the whole game.

also one where the transformations aren't so ridiculous overpowered that once you unlock them there is no reason to use anything else and you can clear epic boss fights in under a minute

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

also one where the transformations aren't so ridiculous overpowered that once you unlock them there is no reason to use anything else and you can clear epic boss fights in under a minute

But the gun should still be ridiculously overpowered so you can Indiana Jones your way through sword fights.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In SWToR’s defence it was pretty fun playing light side Sith or dark side Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the Witcher where, at least in the first game, the consequences of a choice might not be apperant until hours later during an entirely different quest.