Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Caraciollo I found to be decent (for the tier). Veneto is basically the same ship a tier higher and is therefore awful - I'd hesitate to even call the Kansas worse. Lepanto I found to be really, really good however. It is very tanky and you finally get enough shells where the shotgun dispersion is less of an issue and every salvo feels consistent. Columbus is probably good but like a lot of recent T10's I've got, I always seem to have something else going on (or haven't been able to afford to outfit some) and haven't played it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Four DDs per team. Their DDs were an unholy terror who shadowed us the entire game, torping as much as they could. Ours? Two of them were ~5km behind the line the entire game, the other two yoloed into the enemy team and died in under a minute.

And then started bitching that the battleships weren't pushing. It's a pretty good sign that you had a great time in a game when your four DDs are the bottom four on the score sheet.

E: Guy named "Rudel" playing in Soviet CVs. His hero would not approve.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 12, 2022

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Caraciollo I found to be decent (for the tier). Veneto is basically the same ship a tier higher and is therefore awful - I'd hesitate to even call the Kansas worse. Lepanto I found to be really, really good however. It is very tanky and you finally get enough shells where the shotgun dispersion is less of an issue and every salvo feels consistent. Columbus is probably good but like a lot of recent T10's I've got, I always seem to have something else going on (or haven't been able to afford to outfit some) and haven't played it enough.

I did not like the Carciollo or whatever. I think out of frustration I free exp'd through the last 30k of that grind. I was routinely having decent games in it, but just could not get wins. The Veneto is basically the same ship with 1 extra barrel (and 1 second slower reload). You're a tier higher and the only meaningful difference is you get smoke now. I'm really hoping to have the same experience you are describing when I get to the Lepanto.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I’m stuck in a rut with this Colorado, and I’m looking at how much exp I still need vs how much I seem to be getting per battle and thinking there must be something wrong. How much exp should I be making per game, or is the grind truly this bad past this tier?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh Friedrich der Große, why do you hurt me?

Brindisi derping along at ~9 KM, flat broadside towards me. Fire a broadside at him, the horizontal dispersion is great, but the vertical... uhh... isn't. Two hits. From 9 kilometers.

This feels like it's been the typical experience for me today.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pioneer42 posted:

I’m stuck in a rut with this Colorado, and I’m looking at how much exp I still need vs how much I seem to be getting per battle and thinking there must be something wrong. How much exp should I be making per game, or is the grind truly this bad past this tier?

With flags and cammo? A LOT.

Without? Hope you like grinding! Also make sure you do the missions in your log, you get enough resources to get flags and cammo there if you are stuck for it.

Also another "what should I buy" question. I have the Ohio. What's next best ship from research bureau?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Burt posted:

With flags and cammo? A LOT.

Without? Hope you like grinding! Also make sure you do the missions in your log, you get enough resources to get flags and cammo there if you are stuck for it.

Also another "what should I buy" question. I have the Ohio. What's next best ship from research bureau?

Yolo Emilio is fun.

Play for fun.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Pioneer42 posted:

I felt the same way in the Colorado. It took me 39 games to advance.

The grind through Tier 8-9 takes about the same time that 1-7 did, but on the US BB line the ships get dramatically better.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

I felt the same way in the Colorado. It took me 39 games to advance.

The grind through Tier 8-9 takes about the same time that 1-7 did, but on the US BB line the ships get dramatically better.

Ok, something to benchmark against and a little optimism.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

The funny part is when the game was new, one of my "goal ships" was the North Carolina. Triple 16" turrets, actual engines instead of what I can only presume are invisible oarsmen, and dripping with AA guns to discourage metastatis. Whats not to like?

And at the time, the Colorado was considered one of the worst ships in the game. So I was hoarding my free exp and planning to just skip the whole thing. I think I ended up skipping the old tier 7 Pensacola instead, and bought the Colorado. Funny thing is, I actually liked it. Yes it was slow as dogshit, but the guns could overmatch a lot of things when you weren't uptiered, and back then vii was a bit of a sweet spot in terms of matchmaking. I wound up actually not really enjoying the NC because it was so squishy in comparison, and the ships at your tier (and above of course) started to get way more accurate and harder hitting guns.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK so how do I actually play the Friedrich der Große?

Ignore the :goonsay: hyperbole, goons will find anything unplayable if they get it in their heads that it is. I've been playing it again in preparation for Preussen and it's fine.

It's a tankier Bismarck with punchier, 27mm overmatch capable guns. You'll want the secondaries to be reliable when you need them, but the main guns are where most of your power is. It literally has standard BB accuracy with 1.8 sigma, and playing all battleships is a per-salvo experience. That's just what you sign up for.

Secondary build except for main gun accuracy mod. Secondary and AA mounts are currently bugged (invulnerable) until the next patch, a fact nobody seems to be talking about, but that's even more reason to do secondary FdG.

You'll want a 17pt captain at least. Lütjens is optional. I don't remember if I free XP'd the modules, probably the hull?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I...I like the FdG and I play it with full secondary spec except main gun accuracy

I even do really good in it, my win rate is like a flat 50% but my damage is great.

e: okay 90k average damage which is great at least by my modest standards

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
FdG is meh, but not particularly terrible IMO. Stay 1km behind your teammates so the stupider 90% of the playerbase will shoot at your meatshields without you being too far away to hit things. Try to use islands/avoid being in the map centre so you don't get spammed to death.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
A trick to battleships is to stop looking up sigma values, it doesn't affect how you play the game. The only reason you notice that the kurfurst is less accurate than the montana is that you looked it up. People play thousands of games in battleships at high levels and still have dumb conspiracy theories about wargaming secretly changing accuracy, because outside a few extreme cases you have to actually take notes on where your shells land to see the difference.

For the same reason it's fine to use secondary range mod instead of accuracy. Full secondary commander is okay too. The mistake people make is running into the middle because full secondary makes you a brawler; full secondary makes you die faster so you have to pick your engagements more carefully.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kuntz posted:

You'll want a 17pt captain at least. Lütjens is optional. I don't remember if I free XP'd the modules, probably the hull?

Yeah I think my German BB captain is 19 points. Not Lütjens, he's trained for the Hindenburg currently. And accuracy mod, not range mod? I think I might have that backwards then.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I think my German BB captain is 19 points. Not Lütjens, he's trained for the Hindenburg currently. And accuracy mod, not range mod? I think I might have that backwards then.

On the mid slot I feel like accuracy is the only choice unless you're doing absolute complete meme secondaries.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

On the mid slot I feel like accuracy is the only choice unless you're doing absolute complete meme secondaries.

Yeah I was all mixed up, range was in slot 6 and accuracy was not.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Except for USN BBs, which are the opposite, because (reasons)

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
On the subject of skills--they've changed so much in the past year. Every time I come back to the game they've all been reset and I've not a clue what is really good anymore. Any good guides on what is important now?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
If I go secondaries, I'm all in. So for FDG, GK, Rupprecht and (when I can afford to outfit it) Shlieffen I have secondary mod in slot 3 AND slot 6.

The new Preussen will be interesting though. Since it shares same secondaries as GK (ie not requiring IFHE), I will take the secondary mod in slot 3. But in slot 6 I will probably run the main gun reload since with that and a little AR you can get nearly a 20s reload on 8 457mm guns which is not to be sniffed at.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pioneer42 posted:

On the subject of skills--they've changed so much in the past year. Every time I come back to the game they've all been reset and I've not a clue what is really good anymore. Any good guides on what is important now?

Depends on the ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gwaihir posted:

Except for USN BBs, which are the opposite, because (reasons)

Yeah I guess that was tripping me up since I've been playing a lot of Kearsarge recently.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/flamuchz/status/1481707826514907141

So I guess thats a thing coming to ranked?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I feel like this is a bad move. Already I see far more retards playing superships (esp the DDs) and if you have one on your team, it’s bad. But having a bad super CV vs a competent one is almost certainly going to be even more jarring.

They should bring back RTS CV as the supership option...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://i.imgur.com/R2AKC9D.mp4

E:

jets currently have a cruising speed of 340 knots

E2: they work like the planes on hybrid ships. You don't have a steady supply of planes you can deploy and lose, the launches just have cooldown times after which you get a full squadron regardless of if you lost 0 or 100% of your planes on your last attack run.

Which sounds like the worst of both worlds. It's gonna suck playing a super carrier because you'll have nothing to do for long periods of time, and it's gonna loving suck to play against because THREE HUNDRED AND FOURTY KNOTS.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2022

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Depends on the ship.

Maybe some general notes on what to avoid or take for each class?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pioneer42 posted:

Maybe some general notes on what to avoid or take for each class?

It varies a great deal between nationalities within a class as well. For instance with US/British CVs you might want to take the +fire chance skill because they have HE bombs and rockets, but it's completely worthless for German CVs which have AP bombs and AP rockets. Except for the Erich Löwenhardt and Max Immelmann.

This Google Drive has a list of T10 builds, with notes on which earlier tech tree ships / premiums they also apply to.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XfsIIbyORQAxgOE-ao_nVSP8_fpa1igg0t48pXZFIu0/edit

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

I have decided to fully embrace accelerationism. Harpoon missiles and nuclear subs next pls. Maybe, once Wargaming has ruined everything, there will be space for a good successor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hammerstein posted:

I have decided to fully embrace accelerationism. Harpoon missiles and nuclear subs next pls. Maybe, once Wargaming has ruined everything, there will be space for a good successor.

I can't wait for simultaneous Exocet and Harpoon launches at the beginning of every match.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Are we going to be able to use the Canberras to take photographs??????????????????

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It varies a great deal between nationalities within a class as well. For instance with US/British CVs you might want to take the +fire chance skill because they have HE bombs and rockets, but it's completely worthless for German CVs which have AP bombs and AP rockets. Except for the Erich Löwenhardt and Max Immelmann.

This Google Drive has a list of T10 builds, with notes on which earlier tech tree ships / premiums they also apply to.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XfsIIbyORQAxgOE-ao_nVSP8_fpa1igg0t48pXZFIu0/edit

This is good. Thank you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E:

E2: they work like the planes on hybrid ships. You don't have a steady supply of planes you can deploy and lose, the launches just have cooldown times after which you get a full squadron regardless of if you lost 0 or 100% of your planes on your last attack run.

Which sounds like the worst of both worlds. It's gonna suck playing a super carrier because you'll have nothing to do for long periods of time, and it's gonna loving suck to play against because THREE HUNDRED AND FOURTY KNOTS.

We're getting a super AA ship. Right. RIGHT?!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stanley Pain posted:

We're getting a super AA ship. Right. RIGHT?!

No. Unlike every current supership the super CVs will have their plane reload times reduced and damage buffed until player number improves. Boring XP pinatas are for every other supership class.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E:

They do not cruise at 340. They boost to 340. They also do not have the ability to recharge that boost right now. And they can't reduce speed below the cruise speed unlike normal aircraft.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Super ships are pretty OP but there's a lot of potatoes driving them since all you need to get one is 24k bxp in coop.
:lol::laffo::lol:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
How to Satsuma:

1) Press Q twice cuz the other team will be :qq:
2) Press S for Satsuma
3) When broadside to the cap circles, press W for Winning
4) Delete the enemy team from spawn

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

They do not cruise at 340. They boost to 340. They also do not have the ability to recharge that boost right now. And they can't reduce speed below the cruise speed unlike normal aircraft.

Correct and this is very much a double edged sword. In fact it will make striking cruisers with these squadrons quite difficult and DDs completely impossible unless they have no brain.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Correct and this is very much a double edged sword. In fact it will make striking cruisers with these squadrons quite difficult and DDs completely impossible unless they have no brain.

100%, the tears of DD players on Reddit are very confusing because even with German higher tier carriers striking DDs is next to impossible if they're not pre-spotted. You spot them too close to start attack runs, so I can't even imagine how much of a lead you need to take with these jets.

But cruisers and BBs are going to be turbo hosed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

10 000 coal from Twitch Prime's monthly drop. That'll do, Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Who should I message to get an invite back to BOATC or whatever goon fleet has space? Or just apply ingame again because gently caress it who cares?