Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's an improvement over no retreat but it has some really strange mechanisms like the way the 2 stacks per province limit plays out.

Meanwhile, i've actually learned a lot about editing VASSAL modules lately..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've only played Fire in the Lake before and it's been a few years. The way the Revolutionaries are described sounds like the VC in Fire--do all the COIN games have 4 similar faction roles like that? I blinked my eyes and there's apparently almost a dozen COIN games with a non historic sci-fi one in the works.

Pendragon and Falling Sky are quite different, though both have some factions (raiders in Britain, Gallic factions) with insurgent-ish abilities. As far as I can recall, all the modern COINs released so far have at least one faction with guerrilla pieces that can go underground and then use Ops to attack enemies or pressure the local population.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any opinions on Bayonets and Tomahawks?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm wargaming!

(I lost. :( )

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Siivola posted:

I'm wargaming!

(I lost. :( )

I was just doing some cleanup and found my little ziplock Ogre.

My brother got me three sci-fi solo war games that seem interesting, Invaders from Dimension X, Attack of the 50 Foot Collosi and another one too!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I'm trying to run one of these, in case anyone cares.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Hey folks, so I'm pondering buying Arquebus/Men of Iron from GMT. It's one of surprisingly few games that cover the Italian Wars, a period I am fond of. However before I put down the money for it, I'd like to hear if anyone has any opinions on it, good or bad. I've played Washington's War from GMT, and a few other board wargames, and I have a friend who's a fan of them so I definitely have someone to play it with, but at 60$ I need to know if it's actually worth it at all.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
Have you played any Richard H. Berg games before? I always feel like everything he designs could use more development.

Men of Iron was one of the first board wargames I bought, and I traded it on pretty quickly as it was fiddly in ways that didn’t result in more interesting play. That being said, I ended up picking up the tri pack of the series recently because the various editions ended up giving it the development it needed. I’ve not personally played the fourth volume, but if the period interests you the system is now pretty solid and playable in my opinion.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I don't believe I have. I've played very few board wargames, really. The reason this new drew my attention is specifically the setting and period of it. I looked up the rest of the Men of Iron series, and they interest me less, even if they're broadly also about the same transitionary period between the feudal armies and the mercenary bands of the Early Modern period.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
If it's a topic you like, I think it's worth a punt.

I haven't played MoI, but I like GBoH, which is the equivalent system for ancients.

At the end of the day, the topic can carry a weaker game mechanically.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GMT charged me for Plains Indian Wars, Into the Woods: The Battle of Shiloh, and Salerno '43. Today!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ropes4u posted:

GMT charged me for Plains Indian Wars, Into the Woods: The Battle of Shiloh, and Salerno '43. Today!

PacWar+Salerno for me!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

Has anybody played GMTs Absolute War! -The Attack on Russia 1941-44 yet?

It sounds interesting

I could never see the point for a huge game to cover the whole Eastern Front, but end before you get to push into Berlin. That's the best part!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I could never see the point for a huge game to cover the whole Eastern Front, but end before you get to push into Berlin. That's the best part!

Absolute War does in fact have Berlin and the push in, though that phase of the game just isn't that interesting.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Kickstarter for a 2022 reprint of THE THIRD WORLD WAR 1989: THE WORLD STANDS ON THE BRINK OF ARMAGEDDON.

AU$ 46,878 pledged of AU$ 3,454 goal
184 backers
12days to go

Initial goal seems...low. I guess everyone else is just pre-ordering it on their website.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm in, hell yes. I loved those games back in the day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wish a better company had picked them up for a remake, those were good games.

I've been burned too many times by Compass (including doing work with them!)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I passed up an opportunity to pick up all of the 3rd world war games and I'll forever regret it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I wish a better company had picked them up for a remake, those were good games.

I've been burned too many times by Compass (including doing work with them!)

This is my main hesitation. I don't have a lot of post-WW2 games but also Flying Pig is releasing a second edition of OST1 + an expansion for the same amount and I know the quailty of FP games are tops and they broke through a bunch of stretch goals.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

Kickstarter for a 2022 reprint of THE THIRD WORLD WAR 1989: THE WORLD STANDS ON THE BRINK OF ARMAGEDDON.

AU$ 46,878 pledged of AU$ 3,454 goal
184 backers
12days to go

Initial goal seems...low. I guess everyone else is just pre-ordering it on their website.

The wargame trope of rendering southern Sweden and Finland as wide open plains remains as strange as ever

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
This is what a 9x21 foot World in Flames map looks like when it finally arrives.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

This is my main hesitation. I don't have a lot of post-WW2 games but also Flying Pig is releasing a second edition of OST1 + an expansion for the same amount and I know the quailty of FP games are tops and they broke through a bunch of stretch goals.

I kickstarted the Flying Pigs' original (with stalingrad expansion) and it is a beefy, overbuilt mofo. Heaviest game I own by far and components are top notch.

I've been the biggest homer on this thread for Compass Games, but the quality of their stuff isn't consistent--I've been burned too many times now and have finally learned my lesson. Their unmounted maps suffer from a lot of creasing issues, even on "designer editions." Counters can be a crapshoot. Just wait for it to be published and then catch it on sale if it comes out ok.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I went in on this one. Wheeeee.

Third World War is shockingly civilized for a 85 mash em up game rules-wise. The air makes sense and isn't too complex, and they just don't do naval modeling.

Yeah, i'm looking at you, Under an Iron Sky.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Trolling Thunder posted:

I kickstarted the Flying Pigs' original (with stalingrad expansion) and it is a beefy, overbuilt mofo. Heaviest game I own by far and components are top notch.

I've been the biggest homer on this thread for Compass Games, but the quality of their stuff isn't consistent--I've been burned too many times now and have finally learned my lesson. Their unmounted maps suffer from a lot of creasing issues, even on "designer editions." Counters can be a crapshoot. Just wait for it to be published and then catch it on sale if it comes out ok.

Congrats on the WiF stuff! I was hugely addicted to it when it first came out and I keep wanted to get it again.

Weirdly enough, I already own every other OST release other than this one so I am in with both feet. Their games are made for old people with bad eyes and I am here for it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Weirdly enough, I already own every other OST release other than this one so I am in with both feet. Their games are made for old people with bad eyes and I am here for it.

Totally. I got it during a period when I thought was interested in tactical games and what sold me was the "simple version of ASL" angle they were pitching at the time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Speaking of WWIII games what did people think of Red Storm? Need to finally get Elusive Victory and learn it properly (not a great solo game alas)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Trolling Thunder posted:

This is what a 9x21 foot World in Flames map looks like when it finally arrives.

Don't leave us hanging, show us that bad boy all spread out!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The entire thing is a set of 24 maps so it's quite a commitment and my present situation is a bit difficult at the moment.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Trolling Thunder posted:

The entire thing is a set of 24 maps so it's quite a commitment and my present situation is a bit difficult at the moment.

Oh, you mean your realtor didn't show you houses with dedicated World in Flames rooms? That's dereliction of duty, I hope they aren't still on your Christmas card list!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How has Andreas Abyss held up?

I am thinking about bringing to to game night to introduce our friends to war(sh) games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

How has Andreas Abyss held up?

I am thinking about bringing to to game night to introduce our friends to war(sh) games.

Basically it's a good game, though it is possibly a little boring compared to later COINs such as Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, and Falling Sky, which have more in-depth mechanics. There are a decent number of multiplayer board games with table talk and only one winner but Andean Abyss and its descendants are unusual for having very distinct mechanics and victory conditions for each side. Root is the only non-wargame analogue I can think of. You will probably have to spend a half hour teaching though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I still think Andean Abyss holds up to this day. I think it has the cleanest implementation of factions in any COIN game, and the mechanisms for it are not jury rigged from prior games and work in the intended way rather than trying the various square peg-round hole designs that followed AA.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I still think Andean Abyss holds up to this day. I think it has the cleanest implementation of factions in any COIN game, and the mechanisms for it are not jury rigged from prior games and work in the intended way rather than trying the various square peg-round hole designs that followed AA.

curious what you think of Colonial Twilight if you tried that out

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CT is probably the only other COIN which has a clean implementation of factions, and I think the only thing that it has against it is the weird cardplay involved in playing the pivotal events, which means that overall AA is still the purest in terms of directed design of any COIN.

This is not to say that AA is the best COIN imo (that distinction goes to ADR, which has the most interesting faction interplay, even with the slight faults that it has). I'm in a mind that honestly the one designer that truly understood COIN and how to implement it well was Brian Train.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I think I remember hearing that the COIN mechanic of activated and underground cells were based on a Brian Train Shining Path game. Given that he also came into the series with the most experience modeling modern civil conflicts, it stands to reason his designs would be best. I’ve never played any of his non-COIN stuff though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you. I will bring it along and see what the group think. A friend and I play colonial twilight on a regular basis and it’s among my favorite non hex and counter games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I am reading the wif rulebook for reasons.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Dunno if anyone else ended up buying it but my Kickstarter copy of the Third World War reprint just arrived. At a quick glance the component quality seems fine and I don't see a lot of complaints at BGG either. Of course the bigger issue is that I don't really have a ton of interest in pushing fictional tanks across Europe right now, but I can't really blame Compass Games for that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obfuscation posted:

Dunno if anyone else ended up buying it but my Kickstarter copy of the Third World War reprint just arrived. At a quick glance the component quality seems fine and I don't see a lot of complaints at BGG either. Of course the bigger issue is that I don't really have a ton of interest in pushing fictional tanks across Europe right now, but I can't really blame Compass Games for that.

I did- no problems with the components, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Obfuscation posted:

Of course the bigger issue is that I don't really have a ton of interest in pushing fictional tanks across Europe right now

I’m with you. It’s all a little to real right now, so I’m taking a wargaming break for a bit.