Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Is squatting in socks something that people really didn't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Poohs Packin posted:

The idea behind squatting in socks is that youre creating a more direct connection to the floor and therefore less chance of throwing your self out of balance as you squat 200kg.
Okay but what if you're squatting something heavy???

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Some retired mil by the books guy working at my LA fitness told me I couldn't deadlift in socks once. He was like 70 and drove an old carrera with a license plate 2befit. Fk him.

Thats my only interaction with an employee there in like 10 years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't give a gently caress about your PR's man, I just don't want your sweaty disgusting fungus riddled feet spreading filth all over my gym

Same with idiots who go around with minimalist tank tops and sweat everywhere and don't wipe it up after. What the fucks wrong with you

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Dogg just lol if you aren't in a tunnel vision of alpha gpc for your entire workout and only peripherally aware of anything other than your music and your pump

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Also like, avoid the magical fungus cooties on your gym floor by just wearing shoes yourself?? Which you are already doing????

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Magical foot fungus? Sounds like you're projecting. My feet are pristine, a true vision of God's work

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

If I see someone in the gym in shoes I will chase them down and tear them off.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Guys, guys, it's about compromise. Work out in Vibrams.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I guess my confusion is

What shoes were you wearing to the gym that you wanted to take them off for squatting? Why not just go to the gym in shoes you want to squat in

This is like finding out people wipe standing up

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Gym floors are already horror shows of god knows what, wearing socks isn't going to make a difference

Also guys regularly deadlift in socks during strongman meets. How are people just finding out this is a thing .

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Zzulu posted:

I don't give a gently caress about your PR's man, I just don't want your sweaty disgusting fungus riddled feet spreading filth all over my gym

Same with idiots who go around with minimalist tank tops and sweat everywhere and don't wipe it up after. What the fucks wrong with you

Good to know you "dont care" about anyones PRs but care what the gently caress they wear, lol. If you dont want to share equipment then get a bowflex.

Wtf is 'minimalist' tank tops also.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

MikeCrotch posted:

I guess my confusion is

What shoes were you wearing to the gym that you wanted to take them off for squatting? Why not just go to the gym in shoes you want to squat in

This is like finding out people wipe standing up

Why dont swimmers just get into the pool with the same running shoes they wear in the shower?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

Good to know you "dont care" about anyones PRs but care what the gently caress they wear, lol. If you dont want to share equipment then get a bowflex.

I think it's those tank tops that barely cover the space between your scapula and have your moobs all out in the open.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Poohs Packin posted:

Working hard has nothing to do with ignoring basic hygiene, my man. Their PR's don't affect me but their filth DOES. so yeah, big difference

and this is a minimalist tank top:

They might as well just go shirtless

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think it's those tank tops that barely cover the space between your scapula and have your moobs all out in the open.

They're the best for benching as I can have direct skin to bench contact and stick real good for my bench arch, I'm also technically still wearing something, so I am not a creep.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ive got skin covering my scapulae, personally.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The crew I train with does random days where you get assigned someone and gift them a minimalist tee (we call them stringers). It's fun and goofy. Working out should be fun. Wear socks or shoes. It doesn't matter at all. Unless you are doing floor presses why are you rubbing your body on someone's foot sweat? And if you are doing floor presses do you really think it's any better if only shoes touched the floor. What if the previous guy who was there was a nurse and his shoes where in a hospital all day. Just shower after

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Zzulu posted:

Working hard has nothing to do with ignoring basic hygiene, my man. Their PR's don't affect me but their filth DOES. so yeah, big difference

and this is a minimalist tank top:

They might as well just go shirtless

How is this person ignoring hygiene? Youve pulled some generic gym-bro photo off GIS. Does this guy go to your gym? Does his "filth" interfere with your workout? Gyms are gross but thats why you wipe poo poo down and shower before and after. Most guys looking like that are probs pretty keen on personal hygiene, just saying.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I mean at least read my original post before you argue with me. I told you these guys do not wipe down and I shouldn't have to explain why bare skin touching things is less hygienic than covered skin

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My point is youre creating some magical gym bro villain and its maybe one guy in your local gym whos a dick. Sleeveless shirts arent the problem.

The weirdo at my gym wears a t shirt and has a proud boy haircut and shaves his legs and barely works out and only does preacher curls.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.
I've heard that some people dont use gloves while touching the barbell

e: gloves

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Poohs Packin posted:

My point is youre creating some magical gym bro villain and its maybe one guy in your local gym whos a dick. Sleeveless shirts arent the problem.

The weirdo at my gym wears a t shirt and has a proud boy haircut and shaves his legs and barely works out and only does preacher curls.

Ask him his opinion about breakfast cereal

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the most posts this thread has had in like months lol

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's the best work out attire you've seen at the gym? I once saw a dude in a t-shirt, jeans, and leather dress shoes come in and blast out heavy reps of floor presses with zero warm-up. Just absolute king poo poo.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Gonna step in the pile of vomit and dog poo poo on the sidewalk outside the gym before coming in. It’s ok though I’m wearing shoes!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

What's the best work out attire you've seen at the gym? I once saw a dude in a t-shirt, jeans, and leather dress shoes come in and blast out heavy reps of floor presses with zero warm-up. Just absolute king poo poo.

Idk, probably something involving those scrunchy yoga pants because I'm a bad person

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think you guys just go to better gyms because gym etiquette doesnt exit in my gym so everyone is gross as gently caress but it's the gym closest to me so i'll never change. I will keep getting mad at gross folks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

My girlfriend used to be a lifeguard at a university swimming pool and had to explain to some Saudi failprince that you're not allowed to get into the pool in dress shoes and that no, tighty whities are not a substitute for swimming trunks

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

When the pope was in Philly a ton of guys fully tacted out with plate carriers and rifles showed up at my gym to do a workout one morning. They just piled up gearbags in a random corner and all worked out fully kitted up. Also the wwe guys would show up whenever they were in town and Kane worked out in jeans, work boots and a flannel shirt when I was there once.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

They're the best for benching as I can have direct skin to bench contact and stick real good for my bench arch, I'm also technically still wearing something, so I am not a creep.

Yeah, but them mitties distract the rest of us!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Was he trying to get a good pump before a date or something?

I've seen some big dudes wear multiple layers of sweatshirts, I think that's the weirdest.

The problem, at my gym at least, is that most of the dudes who wear muscle shirts loving stink like they haven't showered in a week.

I started going back into the gym to help get back into the shape I once was. Turns out I became too good of a beer drinker this past year and it shows.

The other day I was in the gym minding my business when I saw some really skinny guy who could have been barely in his 20s doing the bench press- but only like 1 or 2 reps with like a 5 minute break in between and he was struggling. I kept thinking he was finishing out his set but no, he kept doing it for at least 25 minutes. I don't know what the hell that's about since I am no expert and I just picked a goon workout plan and went with it. He looked like he wasn't gonna be able to continue and wasn't asking for a spot so I was just like... eh.

Anyway I was working on something and I heard some weights hit the ground. Kid had the bar on his chest and had to bail by tilting the bar so the weights would fall off. I had to help with the rest. I figured he was done.

Nope. He just took 20 pounds off and started again. Still not asking for a spot.

He continued doing the 1-2 rep thing for another 15 minutes and I had moved on. I was doing a press and kept an eye on him struggling in the mirror. Sure enough, the fool couldn't put it back up and was about to have it on his chest again so I ran over and spotted it back up on the rack for him.

His eyes were almost bloodshot from straining. Anyway he got up and started using a bench press machine.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

… doing the bench press- but only like 1 or 2 reps with like a 5 minute break in between and he was struggling. I kept thinking he was finishing out his set but no, he kept doing it for at least 25 minutes.

Sounds like a normal workout tbh

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Working out like that is probably not optimal but almost everyone who is trying to get as strong as possible has done something similar. He is probably hitting a strength plateau and trying to grind through it by going max effort on every set which necessitates long rest periods.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Adidas tracksuit, beanie and speed dealers while barbell benching. I can understand the sunnies actually because there are some bright rear end lights over the free weight area at my gym

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Barefoot is legal.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Concatenation posted:

Adidas tracksuit, beanie and speed dealers while barbell benching. I can understand the sunnies actually because there are some bright rear end lights over the free weight area at my gym

Cutoff jeans, piping hot tank top, steel toes, bum bag, ponytail

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Years ago I saw a pair of girls in full on bridesmaid attire. Heels and everything. They were doing Smith machine squats and it was fuckin wild

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
your sweaty feet are gross. wear shoes in public areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

Goons can't handle sweat on a gym floor