Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you look at someone's shoes or feet enough to notice and comment on them at all I assume you're a foot fetishist trying to steal horny glances from everyones feet w/o permission b/c they can't stop you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Khanstant posted:

if you look at someone's shoes or feet enough to notice and comment on them at all I assume you're a foot fetishist trying to steal horny glances from everyones feet w/o permission b/c they can't stop you
ok based on this i think then we know who has the worst shoes in town

(alex kurtzman)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gormless goblin posted:

I was hoping this chat would be about how godawful Discovery's shoe design is its like Robert Kurtzman is projecting his midlife crisis onto wardrobe

Even the loving 23rd century boots have too many goddamn Starfleet deltas

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

blastron posted:

Pair o’ Dockers
Pair o' Crocs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Even the loving 23rd century boots have too many goddamn Starfleet deltas

Starfeet Command

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Surprised they don't issue these to the frontier ships. You gotta be ready for anything out there

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One foot at warp, one at impulse. Seems imprudent.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Marx Headroom posted:

Surprised they don't issue these to the frontier ships. You gotta be ready for anything out there

Idk if you meant it so plainly but this is honestly what I felt when I watched the first few eps of Disco season 1-- Starfleet brought all of its officers into the Kids shoes section at Shopko

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

One foot at warp, one at impulse. Seems imprudent.

Those are navigation lights

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Disco and all the other new Trek shows don't actually do proper nav lights like boring lame old trek shows, they just have random blinkies. I think Discovery itself was all red pre refit, can't remember post refit. The only ones that have properly had red port/green starboard/white central is the Enterprise and the Titan, presumably because those were adapted old designs and they just copied the old patterns.

Kind of a pity, it was nice having that be consistently done on all Earth and Fed ships for 50 years.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 14, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah previous Treks did the "we must include these because they're A Thing in real life, thus making the setting immersive" whereas now they're like "Wait that was A Thing?!? We just thought it looked cool :cool:"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

Disco and all the other new Trek shows don't actually do proper nav lights like boring lame old trek shows, they just have random blinkies. I think Discovery itself was all red pre refit, can't remember post refit. The only ones that have properly had red port/green starboard/white central is the Enterprise and the Titan, presumably because those were adapted old designs and they just copied the old patterns.

Kind of a pity, it was nice having that be consistently done on all Earth and Fed ships for 50 years.

I'm surprised that the Ceritos doesn't have the "correct" lights

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought they fixed that in season 2

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Three episodes into our rewatch of Enterprise (have not seen most since they first aired) and drat, this is much better than I remember. And I was one of the ones that liked it first time around. I think they are really capturing the "humans are totally in way over their heads" dynamic perfectly

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the second (?) episode where Hoshi is just absolutely “gently caress this space poo poo”.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Having recently finished rewatching ENT I loved the series, way more than I thought going in. Like the only episode I outright hated was Dear Doctor, which is one of Trek's worst overall, but not even A Night In Sickbay was that bad. Also the change to the op for s3/4 was terrible. It is also bullshit T'pol never got a proper uniform. But overall I absolutely have faith of the heart.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Pobody's Nerfect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This guy is superb.

https://i.imgur.com/Ri21NCT.mp4

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It's late or I just don't get it... The Odo frame is confusing. Is "what's upstairs" a meme?

Edit - nvm I typed it, re read it and got it. It's late.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rom!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People who can do voices that well always impress me.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Marx Headroom posted:

Set sneakers to... kill

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Eimi posted:

Having recently finished rewatching ENT I loved the series, way more than I thought going in. Like the only episode I outright hated was Dear Doctor, which is one of Trek's worst overall, but not even A Night In Sickbay was that bad. Also the change to the op for s3/4 was terrible. It is also bullshit T'pol never got a proper uniform. But overall I absolutely have faith of the heart.

I recently did my first watch-through too, having given up on the series halfway through when it was still on the air. Season two absolutely drags a bit, but overall I really enjoyed watching it and it was great to watch some new-to-me 90's Trek again (even though ENT is very obviously the Post-9/11 Trek, I still count it as belonging to 90's Trek for lack of wanting to call it "the Berman era").

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Eimi posted:

Drone posted:

I recently did my first watch-through too, having given up on the series halfway through when it was still on the air. Season two absolutely drags a bit, but overall I really enjoyed watching it and it was great to watch some new-to-me 90's Trek again (even though ENT is very obviously the Post-9/11 Trek, I still count it as belonging to 90's Trek for lack of wanting to call it "the Berman era").
I think a previous SA thread was the first place I ever read someone pointing out that it's the post-9/11 Star Trek, even though it's probably super obvious to most people. Despite that, combined with its worst Berman traits, and its lack of creativity, I still love that freakin' show. I love logging into this website and reading posts like these. Sometimes I think I need to question myself for enjoying it as much as I do, but these posts are like a soothing balm. Today I just think, well, even if ENT is "not good", holy hell, it's real Star Trek, which I feel like I'll never be able to say for some of this dumb-cynical crap they keep shoving out.

e: Also I guess 9/11 and Enterprise are bait for me bc I just remembered this chat that was had in this thread recently. If somebody mentions Scott Bakula and George Bush within a few sentences of each other I'll come running from a mile away

gormless goblin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 15, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As someone who grew up firmly believing that stars should have wars, not treks, I still don't feel like TOS is "real Trek". It's a combination of being very dated and not fleshing out the world enough I think. It's very character (and plot) driven, but the characters to me just seem exaggerated and flat honestly.

Modern Trek is just generic sci-fi with a familiar brand slapped on. It sucks, but in a way that I can binge watch if I feel like it. TOS just can't hold my attention. Probably because they don't have flaming consoles.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, TOS was creating the world in which it existed from episode to episode, so I’m not sure I get what you mean. But yeah, it can be pretty dated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm a giant fuckin Star Trek nerd loser and I find most of TOS unwatchable. It's okay to feel that way.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

I didn't watch TOS until I was older and the way that I made sense of the two very different takes on science fiction (being from two completely different eras in the genre and in television production), is that TOS is kind of like a misremembered, fanciful story, as imagined by people from the 24th century. Enterprise, as it should, looks like a more accurate record of what "TNG's past" might be like.

This whole sensibility gets completely thrown off when Picard goes into a holodeck and the Constitution bridge is there looking like its all plaster and Benjamin Sisko literally goes back in time and picks up a ray gun :pwn: lmao

Also for those of you that can't get into TOS, try watching some Twilight Zone first, and see if that helps. They almost inhabit the same tone because half the time TOS is a loving dreadful nightmare of death. If you're already in the habit of watching TV from the era then idk

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm a giant fuckin Star Trek nerd loser and I find most of TOS unwatchable. It's okay to feel that way.

:same: I've tried probably a dozen times to get through any number of the "Top Ten Best TOS Episodes" lists and I just fall asleep. Old TV is just so offputting to me in a way I can't describe. I love old movies though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Absolutely. I just don't relate because I grew up with it and didn't really get into the '90s Trek shows until my college years in the 2000s. Where TOS is primary colors, TNG and DS9 both are more like pastels with a lot of gray.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

:same: I've tried probably a dozen times to get through any number of the "Top Ten Best TOS Episodes" lists and I just fall asleep. Old TV is just so offputting to me in a way I can't describe. I love old movies though.

A lot of it is the pacing. Even the good TOS episodes are 35 minutes of story squeezed into a mere 52 minutes of episode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TOS mostly rules, you all grew up wrong

As opposed to me, who grew up badly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah after watching it in 2020 during lockdowns, I agree. That's the one show where I feel like a 'best of' list to watch is justifiable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TOS is easier to digest if you watch the TOS movies first, and only then go back and watch the series.

But yes TOS is cool and good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The TOS movies are the template for “real” Trek for me. It’s what the Berman era was based on and I love each one in its own way. Yes, even TFF.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

The TOS movies gave us real Klingons in The Motion Picture, then gave us Real Real Klingons For Realsies in Search for Spock!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

gormless goblin posted:

The TOS movies gave us real Klingons in The Motion Picture, then gave us Real Real Klingons For Realsies in Search for Spock!

They broke the mold on this beautiful Klingon Unicorn.

Drone posted:

TOS is easier to digest if you watch the TOS movies first, and only then go back and watch the series.

But yes TOS is cool and good.

Also chiming in that TOS is good and correct. I had the quintessential 80's childhood experience of watching the films on Betamax before I was introduced to the series in re-runs later on.

It definitely helped.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 15, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
God drat I feel old about remembering a time when TOS wasn't the only Star Trek, it was just Star Trek. There wasn't even TAS yet!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

TOS mostly rules, you all grew up wrong

As opposed to me, who grew up badly

Also "dated" is entirely a function of whether or not you liked reruns when you were a kid, I watched TOS even before TNG came out and it's just fine.

Talk to someone who was born 35 years after TNG came out and find out about dated, IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOUUUUUU

gormless goblin posted:

I didn't watch TOS until I was older and the way that I made sense of the two very different takes on science fiction (being from two completely different eras in the genre and in television production), is that TOS is kind of like a misremembered, fanciful story, as imagined by people from the 24th century. Enterprise, as it should, looks like a more accurate record of what "TNG's past" might be like.

This whole sensibility gets completely thrown off when Picard goes into a holodeck and the Constitution bridge is there looking like its all plaster and Benjamin Sisko literally goes back in time and picks up a ray gun :pwn: lmao

That's because you're Actually Wrong, that's what being misaligned with reality feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The local station would cycle between TOS, TNG and DS9 when I got home from kindergarten and I remember being bored to tears on TOS days (and terrified of Odo on DS9 days).