Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

spaceships posted:

i've played on and off for a few years and i've never seen it before. knowing it's just A Thing makes it less spooky

It's new this patch.

Not all sensor ghosts are so passive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interstellar Imperium does the long range thing fairly well, in that you have to spec their ships for it and they are extremely slow when engaged if you do, so they are not good at falling back if you overload one.

Also their mounts tend to be a bit undersized too.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Interstellar Imperium does the long range thing fairly well, in that you have to spec their ships for it and they are extremely slow when engaged if you do, so they are not good at falling back if you overload one.

Also their mounts tend to be a bit undersized too.

Also they have a battleship which is clearly the Enterprise but not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I’ve decided to give up the Burn 20 life and accept not putting Aug.drive fields on most cruisers in favor of better combat S-mods. But While Burn 18 is fine I’d rather not lower. But I kinda want to cart my Battlestar Legion XIV around regularly. But I also don’t want to build-in Aug Drive fields on it… bah.

OwlFancier posted:

Precisely, if you lose engines you retain your current speed at the moment of the flameout, with abilities such as plasma burn which briefly accelerate the craft to extreme speeds, it is possible to end up careening across the map in a very large ship going extremely fast, if you lose engines at the moment of maximum speed.

What’s really fun is when only half the engines flame out and the ship is stuck doing donuts, spinning wildly out of control.

loving Salamanders…

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I had a ship fleeing the map get half its engines knocked out, so it just was going MAX SPEED in a circle.

For whatever reason I don't think the engines came back on so it was just stuck doing that for the remainder of the battle.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Augmented Drive Fields for some, miniature american flags Hardened Subsystems for others

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know very little compares to an angry Legion unleashing hell, but how is the Mora as a Cruiser sized combat carrier?

Are there any good mod ships that are combat carriers that are grossly expensive in DP?

Give me more Battlestars.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know very little compares to an angry Legion unleashing hell, but how is the Mora as a Cruiser sized combat carrier?

Are there any good mod ships that are combat carriers that are grossly expensive in DP?

Try Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering or Diable Avionics

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mora is a big orrible brick, with missile mounts.

It's quite durable but unless you think your carrier should be getting shot a lot, that's not very helpful. It's basically a very expensive old venture, would take a heron instead every time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i thought the point of outposts in nexerlin was you could take fuel and supplies out of them without getting charged why am i in debt now???

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My fleets almost always end up with a good chunk of burn 8 ships so that with the +1 burn skill I'm still doing 9.

The new skill that gives ships without officers the three combat skills is great for my swarm of automated frigates.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Scalartech has a pretty good capital size battlecarrier in the Filament, and also a super-capital battlecarrier, the Gown.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 14, 2022

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i thought the point of outposts in nexerlin was you could take fuel and supplies out of them without getting charged why am i in debt now???

Nex outposts are basically just standalone colony waystations. You get charged base price on what you take like if you were taking from a colony stockpile.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Stairmaster posted:

The point of outposts is to give you a staging location that you can work from without setting up an entire colony.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diable is especially good, I swear half of the ships in that mod are battlecarriers. Also, Wanzers are really fun to use.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mayasura has several battlecarriers including a combat supercarrier, and Interstellar Imperium has a ship literally classed as a Battlestar in it.

Battlecarriers are probably the single most represented mod ship type after super frigates.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IMO the spookiest sensor ghost is the one where a blip zooms in out of nowhere and only stops when you're close enough to see that it's a derelict ship, and your character calls attention to how you blatantly just saw it moving around

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

IMO the spookiest sensor ghost is the one where a blip zooms in out of nowhere and only stops when you're close enough to see that it's a derelict ship, and your character calls attention to how you blatantly just saw it moving around

i like how the devs write your character and the crews dialogue. it's sick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also having used them now I’m a big fan of the Broadsword, I can’t believe I slept on those guys for so long. So cheap OPwise too.

They work really well to pressure ships and help your line win the flux duel. They can also do an amusingly good job of bullying any frigates that might have slipped through to harass your Herons. They shred other fighters too.

Their flares also work really good for helping ensure my Legion’s Hammers get past the enemy PD.

I think I’ll try switching my Herons from triple broadsword to Broadsword+Kopeshx2 though. See if the broadsword’s flares can help get those rocket strikes to hit home.

Larry Parrish posted:

i like how the devs write your character and the crews dialogue. it's sick.

Yeah, it’s great. A frighteningly hyper competent person with a whole team of equally skilled individuals in various specialized fields.

With all the work they do in story events, salvaging ships that should be impossible to salvage and all the crazy S-modding you do, I hope you Lead Engineer and whole tech team gets paid a lot…

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 14, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, it’s great. A frighteningly hyper competent person with a whole team of equally skilled individuals in various specialized fields.

My favorite is the Galatia mission where they give you the jump skill and the sleeper agent is like '... You already know how? You do it on manual control? I didn't even think that was possible...'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the dev log where Alex talked about how he was attempting to structure the dialog options was good poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frankly I'm really excited to see what they do with more story.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Starsector understands that the true best roleplaying choices are "do I try to look cool or do I be an annoying rear end about this"

PS never not smile and wave at all the rich kids at Galatia, because you are a cool space captain are they are merely well off academics

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 14, 2022

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Couldn't find an answer by googling: Are operatives a thing you can hire in Nex? And if so where? Wanna use some soft power to manipulate the bigger players in the galaxy but can't figure out how.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

XTimmy posted:

Couldn't find an answer by googling: Are operatives a thing you can hire in Nex? And if so where? Wanna use some soft power to manipulate the bigger players in the galaxy but can't figure out how.

Yes, and you find them in bars.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alviss Sebestyen is great. Especially because part of me quietly wonders if the “harmless, meek, frazzled Scholar/Busybody” thing is an act…

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

same

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

the whole setting as the creatively collapsing leftovers of an interstellar empire, with nobody having any idea what happened, or if are they coming back, or if the ones who killed the gates are coming to murder you instead, paerfection. you can just take that setting loving anywhere you like

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Alviss Sebestyen is great. Especially because part of me quietly wonders if the “harmless, meek, frazzled Scholar/Busybody” thing is an act…

well, my experience in being that exact guy is that people tend to get a bit shocked and silent when the Alviss starts joking about designing genetic murderplagues to solve the climate issue

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you're sticking with vanilla you're stuck with the legion, mora's are junk and you should be getting drovers or herons to supplement your badass legions.

I just found a coronal shunt within 10 LY of 1 terran world, 3 terran eccentric worlds, and multiple low hazard worlds. Time to set up a new empire! I'm getting the last few mil worth out of the core then setting up the first colonies while i finish exploring the 10ly area around the shunt to see if i can spot any sleeper ships.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I’ve decided to give up the Burn 20 life and accept not putting Aug.drive fields on most cruisers in favor of better combat S-mods. But While Burn 18 is fine I’d rather not lower. But I kinda want to cart my Battlestar Legion XIV around regularly. But I also don’t want to build-in Aug Drive fields on it… bah.

You need to be tuggin'.
That is, Ox tugs are a way to exchange large amounts of fuel and any hopes of stealth, for maximum burn.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep dont sleep on tugs

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I forget the exact numbers but with tugs you can combine insulated engines and militarization to reduce the sensor footprint to a pretty reasonable level and efficiency overhaul helps with the fuel costs. Building in hullmods on non-combat ships can be very strong.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can I edit any config file to increase the time acceleration on the travel map more? 4x would be swell

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

Can I edit any config file to increase the time acceleration on the travel map more?

Yeah, but it kind of lags the poo poo out of the game. Just use the hyperjump mod- it's sick.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress I didnt know that worked in this version, good call Ill do that

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Given the cutthroat academic politics we get glimpses of in the Academy, I suspect there's a lot more underneath the surface that we're never in a position to see.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

nothing alarming at all about the nerd constantly hanging out in mercenary bars and pulling battleships out of his rear end

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arghy posted:

Gonna try this one since it doesn't look too far off from vanilla https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11018.0

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, I finally got an update after almost a year! It's loving go! :parrot:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nothing alarming at all about the nerd constantly hanging out in mercenary bars and pulling battleships out of his rear end

Yeah, there's how he *talks*, which is endearing, and then there's what he *does*, which is hire notorious space murderers to do murders in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Is it a bad idea to build a colony in a low risk beacon system?. They don't attack me flying around normally but I have no clue waht will happen if i build stuff.