Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grassy gnoll posted:

The correct form of address for any full-time professor, assistant or not, is "gently caress you, [lastname]." Adjuncts get the first name and the occasional pitying look. Graduate students are not addressed unless you are also in the habit of talking to furniture or plants.

I always talk to furniture or plants. I swear at the former when they stumble into my shins or pinky toes, and to the latter when I'm asking their health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

grassy gnoll posted:

The correct form of address for any full-time professor, assistant or not, is "gently caress you, [lastname]." Adjuncts get the first name and the occasional pitying look. Graduate students are not addressed unless you are also in the habit of talking to furniture or plants.

What about lecturers?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I swear at the former when they stumble

Ah, an advisor.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What about lecturers?

Under 50, unmarried and no other job, as adjunct; over 50, married or with a private sector job, as professor with extra spite.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grassy gnoll posted:

Ah, an advisor.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU PIECE OF SH

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

I’m aware that there are many games which decentralise GMing by sharing it with the players. But I was wondering if there is any game that does not do that bit. Where the players are just players, and the GMs are just GMs but there is more than one of them.

Vincent Baker has a series of games called the Wizard's Grimoire, where it specifically says that you as a player will need to get two people to volunteer to effectively be your GMs. It says the reason there's two of them is so that they can trade off and build on each other's ideas. I haven't played it but there's an example.

An earlier game of his, Poison'd, had something similar. If your character was the first to leave play, one of your options is to become a co-GM. The second time a character leaves play, the game ends that session so you can't get to a point where it's all GMs and one player.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1482079452121243648

HOT-BLOODED YOUTHS!

TENSE MELODRAMA!

SHONEN ACTION!

Join the fray in Friendship, Effort, Victory, a shonen battle manga tabletop roleplaying game. Inspired by works such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and other battle manga, Friendship, Effort, Victory uses the acclaimed Powered By The Apocalypse Engine to deliver the flashy, dynamic battles and intense, climatic drama of those sensational works. 

• Choose from 11 classic archetypes to quickly and easily make your character. From the overly cheerful, friendmakers to the angsty, vengeful loners to the fiery, unpredictable rivals, your characters will feel like they would fit right into your favorite stories. 

• Friendship, Effort, Victory subtly guides players to the themes and key moments of classic battle manga by guiding conflict resolution with simple mechanics. 

• The dual health system keeps battles tense and emotional. Characters have the ability to buy off their physical damage by taking emotional damage in its place. Death only comes when a character chooses to accept its embrace. When that time comes, accepting death gives the character a burst of power and a second wind that ensures the hero goes out in a blaze of glory.

• No one is ever left out of the fight. In a genre known for amazing one-on-one battles, players may worry they could be left out. The spectating mechanics allows non-combatants to offer support to any match, even if they aren’t present for the scene. At any time, non-combatant can introduce how their character is interpreting the fight, giving characters bonuses, buffs, and debuffs as makes sense. 

• The Arcs, General, and Villain systems keep the world dynamic and the threats serious. The Arcs system manages many different threats the world faces due to the Villains mechaniations. The General and Villain system ensures that Villains never fall easily and keep the Sagas from ending too soon. Through the plot armor the Villain system provides, Villains always feel like a major threat. By making the Generals key to removing that plot armor and making the Villains vulnerable, stories grow horizontally. Instead of a mad dash to the Villain, heroes focus on their own matchups, knowing that their victories against the Generals take the team closer to ultimate victory. 

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well, okay, if you insist.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Covok posted:

Victory uses the acclaimed Powered By The Apocalypse Engine to deliver the flashy, dynamic battles

If this is actually true I'll be very impressed, and very surprised. I love PbtA, but no PbtA game has managed anime-style "flashy, dynamic battles" in a reliable, satisfying way. Looking forward to the Actual Plays on this one, to see if the proof is in the pudding.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kestral posted:

If this is actually true I'll be very impressed, and very surprised. I love PbtA, but no PbtA game has managed anime-style "flashy, dynamic battles" in a reliable, satisfying way. Looking forward to the Actual Plays on this one, to see if the proof is in the pudding.

I did a promo game on Friday but it wasn't recorded. We did consider a promotional actual play, but it didn't move forward. You know, some kf the team doesn't speak English and we're in different timezones.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

I did a promo game on Friday but it wasn't recorded. We did consider a promotional actual play, but it didn't move forward. You know, some kf the team doesn't speak English and we're in different timezones.
It's a shonen anime game. Sub or dub it.

Then fight in character about which is better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The correct way to address anyone is with their first name or just "hi"

if they get mad about it I don't want to interact with them

Covok
May 27, 2013

Someone asked me how it went earlier so I summarized it but it was last week so the point by point mechanics of what happened would be hard to recall.

quote:

The World Martial Arts Tournament is hosted once every year. Fighters from around the globe come to show off their ability in a demonstration of martial prowess. This year seems to be shaping up to be a real slugfest as "The Worst Generation", as the World Government likes to refer to them, has decided to participate. A catch-all term for the less orderly ki users that have cropped up in recent years, the World Generation is made up of some of the most powerful warriors that the Tournament has ever seen

quote:

It went really well. So, basically, it started at a tournament. It started off with Amber's character against Ratman. She did pretty well, but Ratman bruised her ego by just barely losing, with his shoulder hitting the ring out first when he tried to push her off. Then, Agent Rush fought Mike Lee. She underestimated her opponent and got knocked out of the ring. Finally, JT easily beat Pincel (she called Jurassic Jerk) by punching him in the nuts while the dinosaur incel was in his "chad mode" form. Because there wasn't enough people, a "coin toss" got Agent Rush into the semi-finals. in the semi-finals, Agent Rush and Amber have an amazing bout where they both got put on their last legs so they used their ultimate techniques, with Amber winning. Then, after seeing that amazing fight, JT decided to stop using weapons, like Amber was telling her not to, so that they could learn to use ki. They fight Mike Lee and put up an impressive match. At the end, JT learns how to use ki in a move that knocks Mike Lee out of the ring. In the finals match, there is a lot of push and pull and it becomes legitimately drawn out. In the end, Amber uses her advancement mid-match to unlock her Awakening. Which she uses to defeat JT and win the tournament and the $100k prize money.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

Really? I've found the setup/knockdown mechanics in, say, Fellowship and Voidheart Symphony to be satisfying in that regard, but that's an MC's perspective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Bieeanshee (formerly Bieeardo) who used to hang out here a lot has died:

Young Freud posted:

She's hasn't posted on the forums since late 2020, but I think her account is still active. I got news over Twitter that Bieeanshee died
https://twitter.com/747Retired/status/1481424578811420674?s=20

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

grassy gnoll posted:

Ahh, I see you're in admin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

Oh, no! :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

Oh nooo. I gamed with her once, a pbp here that was really great, and she was great. Didn't stay in touch after but I remember it fondly. This really sucks.

I hope someone can convey TGs sadness and respects to her family. Thank you for letting us know, Arivia.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leperflesh posted:

We're all sorry your group bailed on you after one bad session of whatever game you were trying to get them to play, but that's not normal. poo poo-talking someone you socialize with behind their backs because of that one time we tried Blades in the Dark and it went badly is also messed up and not something real friends do to each other.

Case in point. A few months back, kinda on a whim, I tried to run a conan 2d20 game for a few mods. The game fell apart. Partly that was due to my own unfamiliarity with the system, I made some bad choices very early on (for example, I let character creation use all of the supplements, which made for too confusing an array of special abilities; and I misjudged the likely pace of play and did not start the game with an action scene because I expected to get to one in a few days, rather than a month later), but even as we all kinda agreed the game wasn't going to keep going, everyone was mutually apologetic, and grateful for my having made an effort and tried it out.

I do not think that case has destroyed my reputation on SA as a GM and I do not think any of those players would advise anyone else, publicly or privately, to avoid the next game I recruit for. That would be weird. If someone tried to warn me about some GM, I would expect that warning to be along the lines of "that guy always tries to get you to do piss wizardry" or "that guy once tried to have his NPC rape a PC" or "that guy refuses to let anyone play a gay character." Not "that guy tried to run Lancer but we just fumbled with the rules and the adventure hook didn't really work and it wasn't fun." If someone tried to give me that last line as their sole reason to avoid a GM, my response would be "that can happen to anyone, it's not a red flag" and I'd happily try them out as a GM anyway.

speaking as a player in this, I thought you did a great job and conan is a really good and interesting system though not particularly well-suited to play by post (though you made it work). it's a pity all the other players bailed, I was enjoying learning my way round it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arivia posted:

:smith: RIP. She was one of the players in one of the forum games I ran, probably a decade ago.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

She did some great F&Fs and will be missed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
An idea on a whim turned a long term dream is to run a Pendragon campaign based on retro video games where one of the ultimate challenges (preferably with a Belmont in the party) is to compete in a tournament against Count Dracula himself and his forces to decide the fate of the realms. (and I might certainly throw in some Mortal Kombat there. ...Johnny Cage as a knight almost writes itself)

Wondering what background the Belmonts themselves would fall under. My own idea was giving them a weapon skill covering the family's signature exotic weapons, including whips.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

speaking as a player in this, I thought you did a great job and conan is a really good and interesting system though not particularly well-suited to play by post (though you made it work). it's a pity all the other players bailed, I was enjoying learning my way round it.

I think I may give it another shot this year, and I'll be sure to invite you. Thanks for the support!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I ran a Lancer game recently, all with long-time players of mine.

One dropped out for life reasons and two because they weren't enjoying the system. We ended up continuing with it, got a new player, and, just last week, finished the short campaign.

There were no hard feelings, we all moved with it as adults, and the old gang is getting back together for a 13A game I'm starting next month.

I don't think I suffered any reputational damage, and didn't lose friends or anything weird like that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think I suffered any reputational damage, and didn't lose friends or anything weird like that.

You gotta consult the d100 tables in the index to determine Reputational Damage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

You gotta consult the d100 tables in the index to determine Reputational Damage.
Oh that's next to the Random Harlot table right?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I ran a Lancer game recently, all with long-time players of mine.
One dropped out for life reasons and two because they weren't enjoying the system. We ended up continuing with it, got a new player, and, just last week, finished the short campaign.
There were no hard feelings, we all moved with it as adults, and the old gang is getting back together for a 13A game I'm starting next month.

And that's great. But
a) it happened in a way that wasn't your fault - the players didn't like the system. That's different from game sessions shutting down or being negative because you couldn't think of ideas at the right time;
b) I've never been talking about losing friends, just about people becoming less keen to try new systems/that system/that GM because they didn't deliver on their promises last time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hyphz you'll be fine. I guarantee nobody is talking or thinking about you as much as you. At all.

You're really overblowing people blowing you off.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Heliotrope posted:

Vincent Baker has a series of games called the Wizard's Grimoire, where it specifically says that you as a player will need to get two people to volunteer to effectively be your GMs. It says the reason there's two of them is so that they can trade off and build on each other's ideas. I haven't played it but there's an example.

An earlier game of his, Poison'd, had something similar. If your character was the first to leave play, one of your options is to become a co-GM. The second time a character leaves play, the game ends that session so you can't get to a point where it's all GMs and one player.

In WG the volunteers only answer questions asked by the player, so really all three of you are GMing collaboratively.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dwarf74 posted:

Oh that's next to the Random Harlot table right?
I think it's more like Personal Honor in "Oriental Adventures."

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hello all! I recently completed my Tabletop RPG, DEAD IN THE WEST! It was funded on Kickstarter a while back, and earlier this year all the physical copies for backers finally shipped after a long delay due to COVID.

If anyone has any advice on shifting copies of my little indie game, I'd really appreciate it. I'm super green to the field. I have about 25 books left from the first run. I really have no idea where to start - a few local stores are carrying it, and I made a big long effortpost on these forums for a little more info!

In short: DEAD IN THE WEST is a game of TALL TALES and HIGH STAKES in the Mythic Old West! The game is character-focused, with an emphasis placed on the personalities, group dynamics, and histories of Players in the Posse. DitW is designed as such so that, after a few sessions, no two characters will feel or play the same. Special abilities and unique skills are earned based on the way characters behave, with step-by-step guides for GMs on creating custom and unique Abilities just for your players!

For those curious, you can hear some folks playing my game on this cute little actual play podcast.

If anyone is interested in my game, DEAD IN THE WEST is available here! If you want you can even use the code "goonsgowest" for a little discount on either the digital or hardcover version!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm not sure how I feel about these edgy cowboys in trenchcoats....

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Would these guys be more your speed?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about these edgy cowboys in trenchcoats....

I count one trenchcoat on one guy, who isn't even on a horse, so not a cowboy.

Powerful vest energy, though.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dead in the Vest

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How the Vest Was One.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If you don't wash it, it becomes Wild Vest

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have some questions

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have some questions

Make sure you phrase it right, or the answer will be a snake to the face.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm not sure the bottle will clear the catapult, but do you automatically get new snake bottles, or do you have to roll to get new snakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I'm not sure the bottle will clear the catapult, but do you automatically get new snake bottles, or do you have to roll to get new snakes?

The way DEAD IN THE WEST works is characters gain "Abilities" based on their own actions, personalities, and inspirations. For example, if you play a character from another country who frequently rolls poorly in social interactions, you may get the Ability to re-roll a dice in such interactions and blame it on your poor English or lack of cultural knowhow. If you don't like killing people and buy and use a whip often, you may earn the Ability to whip weapons out of your opponents hands in Quickdraw rolls (which basically means you get the first attack in Combat if you shout "Quickdraw!" faster than your GM). The Book contains a very in-depth guide for GMs on how to craft Abilities for your Players, and includes a list of 60 pre-made and guidelines on when they could be given to players.

In this example, the player character was a very ornery, anti-social snake-breeder who didn't actually know very much about snakes. An Ability she got was "Serpentine Surprise", which let her surprise enemies with snakes in combat. The Ability was more about creating chaos than causing damage, and I let her know that the snakes will try to escape whenever she used it.