Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wish there was an easy way to tell which district is which when not zoomed all the way in on the map. That would help me a ton with district placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Soylent Pudding posted:

I wish there was an easy way to tell which district is which when not zoomed all the way in on the map. That would help me a ton with district placement.

One of the overlays selectable in the lower right color codes districts to their output - green for farming, orange for industry, yellow for gold, etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

Nah, I'd love it if the game told me exactly how much I'd get from a given district and what the optimal placement for it would be, instead of me mouse-overing the entire region for the optimal city site.

? Is that not what the tiles that get highlighted when you go to place a district are?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

skeleton warrior posted:

One of the overlays selectable in the lower right color codes districts to their output - green for farming, orange for industry, yellow for gold, etc.

Somehow I missed this completely. Welp guess I'm doing another playthrough once my vacation starts.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1480923935755669509

I’m interested to see what patch drops alongside this.

quote:

Era 1 - Bantu (Expansionist): The Bantu expansion is a postulated series of major migrations of an original Ntu-speaking group from Central- West-Africa across much of sub-Saharan Africa.

Era 2 - Garamantes (Agrarian): The Garamantes emerged as a major regional power in the mid-second century AD. Their growth and expansion rested on a complex and extensive qanat irrigation system (known as foggaras in Berber), which supported a strong agricultural economy and large population.

Era 3 - Swahili (Merchant): The rise of the Swahili coast city-states can be largely attributed to the region's extensive participation in a trade network that spanned the Indian Ocean.

Era 4 - Maasai (Agrarian): A fierce pastoralist people with a Nilotic (rather than Bantu or Swahili) language. For the Maasai, achieving warrior status meant single-handedly killing a lion with a spear.

Era 5 - Ethiopians (Militarist): During the Scramble for Africa, Ethiopia and Liberia were the only two nations that preserved their sovereignty from long-term colonization by a European colonial power. By weaving the natural cliffs and ledges into the creation of their fortresses, Ethiopia was able to fend off most colonial forces.

Era 6 - Nigerians (Agrarian): Nigeria unites a wide variety of cultures under the rule of one state. The variety of its terrain and the abundance of its hydraulic resources offer it significant agricultural possibilities and make it one of West Africa's foremost producers.

In addition to these six cultures, the DLC includes over a dozen new events (and their consequences), as well as five new wonders:
Lake Natron
Mount Kilimandjaro
Victoria Falls
Zuma Rock
The Great Mosque of Djenne

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah if they can break the industry or nothing meta and make games be competitive into the later eras that’d be dope

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

? Is that not what the tiles that get highlighted when you go to place a district are?

Yeah, there should be a highlighted tile that gives the most total value. Doesn't help with long-term planning but it's a nice guide.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What did the recent patch (which made districts escalate in cost) do to the meta? It sort of felt like increasing costs didn't really discourage industry-or-nothing, it just meant you built the industry more slowly.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gort posted:

What did the recent patch (which made districts escalate in cost) do to the meta? It sort of felt like increasing costs didn't really discourage industry-or-nothing, it just meant you built the industry more slowly.

That's all it did.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Nice little video with a high level of the culture. Hopefully they all get one. This one looks fun.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1481306240957493249

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao at describing Liberia as preserving its independence during the Scramble, pretty sure when the US set up an ex-slaves’ colony it wasn’t copacetic with the folks who were living there

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve not really kept up with this game since it was originally announced. That said, I do love Civilization 6, and think the Endless games are all quite good. How does this hold up as a game inbetween those franchises?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve not really kept up with this game since it was originally announced. That said, I do love Civilization 6, and think the Endless games are all quite good. How does this hold up as a game inbetween those franchises?

It's fun in that it is essentially an endless game. The problem is that every game of Humankind is exactly the same as the last game of Humankind.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Endless games have this beautiful lore and weird worlds to play with, though. In Humankind, the evolving culture essentially kneecaps that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

The problem is that every game of Humankind is exactly the same as the last game of Humankind.

my experience is that this is true EXCEPT for the wrinkles of geography and resources, wonders you pick, unique units, and if/when you try to unlock things -- basically just like Civ

it sounds like I am strongly disagreeing with you but I am not. it is indeed very same-y

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm wondering if part of why every game feels the same is that the choice of cultures means I always play the game the same way and I just change the order of my culture picks to keep the same strategy and play style working instead of adapting to the culture I chose to play.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The district changes were rushed imho. At higher difficulties you were forced into a troop rush early on because of the AI being hyper aggressive and then the rest of the game would be spent desperately trying to make up for the production deficit it caused which limited your ability to do anything else.

Also rushing Mongols/Huns being about the only viable strategy due to the fact that you could then start spawning them from combat so weren't tying up a city building them.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I love Civ 5 and SMAC, I haven't played enough Civ VI to have an opinion on it. So my question is, is Humankind worth it? Every where I read people like but says it gets real repetitive once its figured out.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I love Civ 5 and SMAC, I haven't played enough Civ VI to have an opinion on it. So my question is, is Humankind worth it? Every where I read people like but says it gets real repetitive once its figured out.

If you love civ V you'll probably like it. I haven't played it in a few months but I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think Civ VI is roughly twice as interesting (with all expansions) as Humankind (with no expansions yet). Whether it's "worth it" depends strictly on your budget, I think. If $50 barely registers as a line in your budget, it's definitely fun to play through and get good. If this is your one game purchase for the next 3+ months, absolutely not worth it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

homullus posted:

I think Civ VI is roughly twice as interesting (with all expansions) as Humankind (with no expansions yet). Whether it's "worth it" depends strictly on your budget, I think. If $50 barely registers as a line in your budget, it's definitely fun to play through and get good. If this is your one game purchase for the next 3+ months, absolutely not worth it.

it's also on xbox game pass so you can drop the 10 bucks (or get the 2 dollar trial) and give it a spin there without needing to drop 50 bucks on it

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I played 30 hours of Humankind which is absolutely dwarfed by my time spent in other games like this. But 30 hours of playtime for 50 bucks is pretty good imo.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm wondering if part of why every game feels the same is that the choice of cultures means I always play the game the same way and I just change the order of my culture picks to keep the same strategy and play style working instead of adapting to the culture I chose to play.

Yes, that is the problem. It's not going to go away though. Part of the reason you will probably never choose a culture that you want to play is because it won't be fun if you in a current position that would disadvantage you by choosing that culture. And even if you did choose a culture that would disadvantage you because you want to play as them, you'd still just have to make the same decision again in the next era.

So you can't even choose a culture you want to play as with the idea of toughing it out and making some epic comeback because you're only going to be that culture for one era and then any work you did to adapt your empire to that culture will be mostly muted by choosing a new culture in the next era. I guess you could choose not to change cultures in the new era, but that's a losing strategy.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 15, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

I played 30 hours of Humankind which is absolutely dwarfed by my time spent in other games like this. But 30 hours of playtime for 50 bucks is pretty good imo.

Yeah, I agree with the criticism that every game of Humankind is sort of the same; however that game was pretty fun and I got a few dozen hours out of it before I got bored, I don't regret it.

And if the game gets better with patches or expansions and it become fun enough that I want to spend infinite time on it then hey, bonus

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hope there's a Humankind 2, but I also hope they seriously rethink the gameplay and ditch the new-culture-every-era bit.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I feel like one thing that would help the culture swapping feel better would be if the legacy bonuses were more substantial than just +1 to whatever. Even just have most/all of each culture's stuff be permanent. I think each game would feel less same-y if it was more like speccing out a build than just going through this mostly-unconnected series of cultures.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megazver posted:

I hope there's a Humankind 2, but I also hope they seriously rethink the gameplay and ditch the new-culture-every-era bit.

A more "roguelike" approach where you play a culture for a while, and then face some kind of era-ending catastrophe, then have a time skip to the new culture (that you chose) occupying some of the land you previously inhabited, with some (random?) cultural remnants of your previous culture might be better. In early eras, ice ages, plagues, and natural disasters would end eras; later on, it would be world wars (fought by RNG, not players) that redraw territorial borders. Expansion is always one of the more fun aspects of 4x, and the algorithm would ensure nobody got utterly screwed between eras.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

homullus posted:

A more "roguelike" approach where you play a culture for a while, and then face some kind of era-ending catastrophe, then have a time skip to the new culture (that you chose) occupying some of the land you previously inhabited, with some (random?) cultural remnants of your previous culture might be better. In early eras, ice ages, plagues, and natural disasters would end eras; later on, it would be world wars (fought by RNG, not players) that redraw territorial borders. Expansion is always one of the more fun aspects of 4x, and the algorithm would ensure nobody got utterly screwed between eras.

Rhye's and Fall of Civilization did a historical challenge type of game pretty well for the time, as did some of the Fall From Heaven 2 mods with the dynamic world and potential for literal demon spawn. It's a shame nobody has tried anything similar since.

I've played a few hours of Humankind and it just seems very... bland. It's essentially Endless Legend with all of the charm, lore and novelty tossed out, at least so far. I can't see anything that has been significantly improved. Actually, I think they made combat worse with alternating turns, there should be interleaved initiative or simultaneous orders of some kind. Maybe outpost attaching? But I find it confusing and one of many choices where I'm uncertain what the benefits/drawbacks of each are.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 19, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you defend your cities? The AI gets free defenders in all their cities, but it feels like my cities never get any. I've researched the city defender tech a few times, but I don't always keep up with it and have never been attacked during an era while I had it researched. So I don't know if it goes away at the end of the era it was researched in or what, but I've definitely had cities captured from me without getting a battle notice.

Eldoop posted:

I feel like one thing that would help the culture swapping feel better would be if the legacy bonuses were more substantial than just +1 to whatever. Even just have most/all of each culture's stuff be permanent. I think each game would feel less same-y if it was more like speccing out a build than just going through this mostly-unconnected series of cultures.

For me, the real legacy advantage is the unique districts. But then I spend at least the first half of every era building one of the unique districts in each territory in each city. The +1 is kind of whatever.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2022

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

LLSix posted:

For me, the real legacy advantage is the unique districts. But then I spend at least the first half of every era building one of the unique districts in each territory in each city. The +1 is kind of whatever.

Yeah the +1 being whatever is my point, I'd like for those bonuses to be more interesting and to have actual effects on how you do things going forward so I actually feel like it matters that I used to be the Egyptians or whatever, beyond just having some pyramids still hanging around. The unique districts never really feel interesting or exciting to me since it does just come down to hitting a new era and setting all my cities to pop one out and then forgetting about them while I do whatever I was doing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

LLSix posted:

How do you defend your cities? The AI gets free defenders in all their cities, but it feels like my cities never get any. I've researched the city defender tech a few times, but I don't always keep up with it and have never been attacked during an era while I had it researched. So I don't know if it goes away at the end of the era it was researched in or what, but I've definitely had cities captured from me without getting a battle notice.

The free defenders are based off of the city's population. Zero pop cities have zero militia while some range of one pop to something have one militia all the way up to the stack limit.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

eXXon posted:

Rhye's and Fall of Civilization did a historical challenge type of game pretty well for the time, as did some of the Fall From Heaven 2 mods with the dynamic world and potential for literal demon spawn. It's a shame nobody has tried anything similar since.

I've played a few hours of Humankind and it just seems very... bland. It's essentially Endless Legend with all of the charm, lore and novelty tossed out, at least so far. I can't see anything that has been significantly improved. Actually, I think they made combat worse with alternating turns, there should be interleaved initiative or simultaneous orders of some kind. Maybe outpost attaching? But I find it confusing and one of many choices where I'm uncertain what the benefits/drawbacks of each are.

I'm pretty sure the simultaneous turns suck rear end since the AI can just read your input and slip in their order just before yours to gently caress with whatever you do.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Always annoying when it happens. Human players get to do it too. 😒

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Back in the day when I played Civ 5 with simultaneous turns we'd just agree that whoever started the war would move all their stuff first, say, "Done", and then the other player would move all theirs, then you'd alternate from there. Much better than having your great general sniped by a five-movement lancer because there was no way to move them at the same time as the unit that was guarding them.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Gort posted:

Back in the day when I played Civ 5 with simultaneous turns we'd just agree that whoever started the war would move all their stuff first, say, "Done", and then the other player would move all theirs, then you'd alternate from there. Much better than having your great general sniped by a five-movement lancer because there was no way to move them at the same time as the unit that was guarding them.

I mean surely there has to be some sort of way to code in priority for these situations. The game knows which units are within interaction range of one another, it knows if they can see eachother, and it also knows if it belongs to players who are hostile or neutral with one another. It can probably arrange the unit order so that the first units you get to move are the ones out of range of anything, and then have attack orders take priority over move orders.

What's really baffling to me is that, this would be harder to implement in Civ, but in this game, you have battlefields (and the shape of them is non deterministic which is even more baffling, but whatever)! Meaning, if you had a way to know if some unit is moving with hostile intentions, you could have the battlefield move with them. And then it wouldn't be some magical new rule that solves units slipping out due to simultaneous turns, it'd all work exactly the same as it currently does in regards to initiative.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

New patch just hit

quote:

Hello, we have released a new update for HUMANKIND™, here's the patchlog:

ADDITIONS [Cultures of Africa Pack]
Expand your HUMANKIND™ experience with the Cultures of Africa DLC!
Features 6 new cultures spanning all eras, new natural and built wonders, 7 new independent people, and 15 new narrative events.

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS
Added Great Zimbabwe Wonder content (newsletter opt-in).
Added movies when discovering specific technologies.
Added a new window at launch to display info about the game.
Removed the "Turn Limit" condition from the Default, Last Human Standing and Space Race endgame conditions.
Improved the usability of the Trade and Wondrous systems.
Improved the way AI handles Bombardment management.
Improved the way AI handles military objectives.
Improved the way AI handles Competitive Deeds.
Improved the way AI handles escort of Embarked Army.
Improved the way AI handles Garrison.
Improved the way AI handles Civic choices.
Improved the way AI handles Culture choices.
Improved the way AI handles Units that cannot climb fortifications in an assault.
Improved the way AI handles Siege sortie.

IMPORTANT FIXES
Fixed an issue where players can remain stuck after loading a multiplayer auto save created during the launching of the nuclear missile.
Fixed an issue where the player will remain stuck on the "New tenet unlocked" mandatory notification if the AI is choosing the last tenet before the player does in the same turn.
Fixed an issue where multiple errors are generated and the session remains stuck on "Turn Pending" after ending turn on a specific save file.
Fixed an issue where a stuck situation was encountered during a naval battle between two clients.
Fixed an issue where battle stuck on confirmation stage, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where a stuck situation occurred while performing a manual battle in a multiplayer session, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where a stuck situation occurred when ending the turn immediately after launching an Air Strike, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where errors and desync were encountered, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where a player army became invisible when retreating, generating errors and desync on player interaction.
Fixed an issue where an error is generated when attempting to "attack" an AI army during a multiplayer session, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where a desync with errors was encountered when the host of a multiplayer session entered a battle, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where a series of exception errors followed by a desync were encountered during a multiplayer session, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where an error is generated when the turn is ending during a multiplayer session, under specific conditions.

OTHER FIXES
ECONOMY
Fixed an issue where the player can construct the Arms Factory emblematic on a strategic resource tile, generating errors on ransack.
Fixed an issue where players or AI can buy Soviets Arms luxury at 0 cost.

MILITARY
Fixed an issue where an error is generated when disbanding the Aircraft Carrier while it contains Aircraft units.
Fixed an issue where an expansionist empire's trespassing units cannot move with complete freedom.
Fixed an issue where Cruise Missiles and Thermonuclear missiles can be moved to Aircraft Carriers, generating errors.
Fixed an issue where multiple errors are generated when sending missile strikes multiple times in a quick succession at the same target.
Fixed an issue where using the "Aerial Stealth" unit's Strike actions trigger Grievances for the opposing empire.
Fixed an issue where a series of errors were encountered during a siege battle with the player as defender.
Fixed an issue where military forces are not visible on the map after auto-exploring.
Fixed an issue where two exception errors are generated when a Nuclear Strike action is cancelled due to diplomatic changes.
Fixed an issue where two errors are generated when launching a nuclear missile on a specific city during a specific session.

AI
Fixed an issue where AI controlled empires do not consider the Commons Quarter adjacency when constructing the extension.
Fixed an issue where an error is generated when the minor faction AI attacks one empire in a cross-play session between the Gamepass and Epic PC in the Ancient era.
Fixed an issue where a fortification attack related error occurs on "blitz" mode if the player is attacking a fortified area of an AI, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where two AI-related errors are generated when attacking a liberated city.
Fixed an issue where two error messages were generated for the host during normal gameplay (handle the case when the Army is already at a safe position).
Fixed an issue where a series of AI related errors were encountered, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where the player encountered an AI related error message, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where two errors are generated when the player eliminates himself by launching a nuclear strike on a nearby City.
Fixed an issue where AI related errors were generated during gameplay, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where an AI-related error was generated during gameplay, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where errors were generated after placing an outpost in the Contemporary era, under specific conditions.
Fixed an issue where multiplayer Progression Blocker occurred after one of the players city was besieged by the AI army.

UI
Fixed an issue where player receives a series of error messages after pressing the "Locate the Event" button of an Osmosis Event notification during late-game.
Fixed an issue where placeholder values are displayed in Battle Aftermath reports.
Fixed an issue where the randomize AI buttons are functional when loading multiplayer sessions.
Fixed an issue where the colors of the Empires do not match on the loading screen in a multiplayer session .
Fixed an issue where the Buy resource button of the Diplomacy Trade panel does not update immediately after a purchase.
Fixed an issue where the Buy Resource button tooltip in the Trade tab doesn't display the amount of money needed to buy the resource when not having enough money.
Fixed an issue where the Empire name is displayed instead of the Natural Wonder name in the description of the "Based on a true story II" event.
Fixed an issue where text error present in the Mouth and Nose avatar option tooltips.
Fixed an issue where false information is displayed in the Help Layer All Military Forces panel tooltip.
Fixed an issue where a specific premade avatar portrait is inconsistent with the premade avatar model displayed.
Fixed an issue where named avatars can have their presets edited despite the fact that they are locked.
Fixed an issue where the "Main Menu" button from the lobby appears out of screen if multiple add-ons/DLCs are enabled.
Fixed an issue where one of the empire symbol icons presents low resolution.
Fixed an issue where duplicate empire icons are displayed in the empire symbol screen.
Fixed an issue where misleading information is displayed in the Move Capital action tooltip.
Fixed an issue where the "Clear Ruins" and "Hamlet" extensions share the same icon.

TUTORIAL
Fixed an issue where the "First Civic Unlocked" tutorial can be triggered in the late game after unlocking multiple civics.
Fixed an issue where the "City Stability" tutorial appears for Outposts in a specific situation.
Fixed an issue where the Aesthete affinity action tutorial is triggered for the Scientist affinity action.
Fixed an issue where Agrarian affinity tutorials are not triggered during gameplay.
Fixed an issue where Blitz Tutorial message is displayed for all Affinities.
Fixed an issue where the Scientist affinity tutorials are not triggered during gameplay.
Fixed an issue where the Builder affinity tutorials are not triggered during gameplay.
Fixed an issue where the "Legacy of an era" and "Your story" video tutorials display the same image.
Fixed an issue where incomplete or false information displayed in the "Construction Queue" tutorial.

3D
Fixed an issue where game crashed in loading screen (Vulkan general compatibility + remove most of open while loop to avoid infinite loop).
Fixed an issue where harbor models are not displayed on the game map when using Vulkan mode.
Fixed an issue where Research quarter water pool displayes heavy flickering for the Aztecs Civilization.

AUDIO
Fixed an issue where no audio feedback is received when dismissing the current tech research in the technology panel.
Fixed an issue where no audio feedback is received when closing the Society and Religion panels.
Fixed an issue where no audio feedback is received when accessing and dismissing the Minor Faction panel.
Fixed an issue where multiplayer button has no SFX when clicked.

MAP EDITOR
Fixed an issue where an error message is generated when attempting to use the import tool and no png image is found.

MODDING
Fixed an issue where Mod.Io mods fail to download and present error message when subscribing while using the Steam MacOS or EGS MacOS platforms.

ACHIEVEMENTS
Fixed an issue where the Unplugged, disconnected and Terminated achievement are not unlocked when meeting the prerequisites.

We are still working super hard on solving the remaining bugs. Don't hesitate to share your thoughts on Games2Gether!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I feel like the AI is much more aggressive since the latest patch.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Lunar Festival Event is underwhelming. Much like the bonuses for the Ming culture it wants me to play :( I haven't taken a food boosting culture yet and feel like I really need to take the Haudenosaunee.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

LLSix posted:

The Lunar Festival Event is underwhelming. Much like the bonuses for the Ming culture it wants me to play :( I haven't taken a food boosting culture yet and feel like I really need to take the Haudenosaunee.

If you play with the New World option in the map settings, the Norsemen are so loving good and their unique building is a food bomb on the coast. Early ocean faring troop transports that can mop the floor with previous era's naval units, plus food bombs that also give gold bonuses to ransacking and extra fame for militarist stars means the Medieval era is huge for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any suggestions for getting good research?

I picked French as my most recent culture, and have finished their unique buildings, but I'm still 1-2 generations behind the current era on tech, and I've mostly been focused on production and science techs. I still haven't discovered saltpeter but I'll have coal soon.

I'm the fame leader with more than twice as much fame as the next closest NPC. All my cities have 4+ territories and I run them in city builder mode until I hit max pop on food and production then switch them to science > food > production > money.