Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

UZworm posted:

It's incredibly funny watching republicans claim THERE WAS NO PARTY SWITCH and then immediately talk about the KKK being a democrat institution

You say that as if Republicans don't claim that the KKK is still full of Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Calls to strip Prince Andrew of Duke of York title No idea about the source painting, apoloigies.

Here you are:

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/lord-john-augustus-hervey-17571796-171867

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
MLK Jr. Day is on Monday. I can't wait for the terrible cartoons to come out.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I wonder if Fishman will carry on Tinsley's hateful, racist tradition of talking about "Squirrel Appreciation Day."

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

JamesBont posted:

MLK Jr. Day is on Monday. I can't wait for the terrible cartoons to come out.

IMO a contender for the worst will always be the one Ramirez put out in 2019, where he changed "will not be judged by the color of their skin" to "will not be judged by the color of their hat."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I spent 15 years in fast food and one of my favorite things to do throughout was laugh in the face of anybody who predicted my job was going to be automated away. Absolute morons with no conception of how either actual labor or technology works lmao

Now that we are in the point where the industry either has to pay more or go full in on robots I get to laugh even harder.

I'd put good money on political cartooning being more likely to get automated. Every strip is 99% the same as every other and the text a constant font

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Epic High Five posted:

I spent 15 years in fast food and one of my favorite things to do throughout was laugh in the face of anybody who predicted my job was going to be automated away. Absolute morons with no conception of how either actual labor or technology works lmao

Now that we are in the point where the industry either has to pay more or go full in on robots I get to laugh even harder.

I'd put good money on political cartooning being more likely to get automated. Every strip is 99% the same as every other and the text a constant font

hey now they did replace the cashier, for card transactions only, in-store only, in some locations, with a touchscreen

the only part they could automate away was having someone scream at you because prices are higher than they remember 20 years ago lol lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

loving glorious, that final panel is :discourse:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shugojin posted:

hey now they did replace the cashier, for card transactions only, in-store only, in some locations, with a touchscreen

the only part they could automate away was having someone scream at you because prices are higher than they remember 20 years ago lol lmao
Touch screen might not even survive since those things are loving petri dishes and covid making us hyper aware of communicable diseases.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Raised By Birds posted:

Tony Branco

I don't get it. That windmill doesn't have demonic eyes. It's not running away on a pair of legs either.

I just want to reiterate that it's spectacular that notorious dumb dumb Tony Branco actually managed to do the Don Quixote metaphor right, when nearly every other cartoonist loving butchers it. Even Donkey-Wokey and Man of Da Mentia are decently crafted puns. gently caress. With the exception of the dogshit art, unnecessary labels and overlong speech bubble, Branco almost competently executed the job he's paid for.

It's like seeing Gorrell draw something for himself instead of just applying a filter to the first result on google image search or Ramirez doing a caraciature that somewhat resembles the person.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 16, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm setting up the OP for the 2021 Kellies thread now. This is the currently planned list of Kategories:

Worst “A Thing Happened” Cartoon
Best Cartoon
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (gender)
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (race)
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (all other)
Worst Caricature
Worst Covid Particle Cartoon
Worst Q/Deep State Cartoon
Worst COVID-19 Cartoon
Worst Gaslighting
Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon
Worst Label
Most Incomprehensible Cartoon
Worst Obituary Cartoon
Best Edit/Parody
Worst Primary Election Cartoon
Worst General Election Cartoon
Most Easily Reinterpreted
Worst Cartoon about a (non-covid) Tragedy
Worst Cartoon about Terrorism
Most Willfully Dense
Worst Overall

Are there any additional ones we should have, or ones we should remove? I intend to condense or remove kategories with an insufficient set of entries, as usual.

edit: dear lord, there were more than 300 nominations last year.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 16, 2022

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Walt Handelsman

Clay Jones

Tom Stiglich

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hillary Clinton is announced as the next Dead by Daylight killer.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Russia is the attacker and thus not much of a threat.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It's especially great because people like him love nothing more than pretend that they're the only adults in the room, while it's the looney left that has no idea how the Real World works.
But this rear end in a top hat always depicts fast food workers as a cashier in a funny hat next to a register, showing that he has no idea how fast food goes from point A to point his mouth.

How the hell is a touch screen going to automate unloading a truck, or taking stock or, you know, cooking your drat food.
Yes, parts of this can be automated, but complex specialized jobs require complex specialized machines, and those machines require complex and specialized workers too service them.

They can get away with paying fast food workers minimum wage, but good luck paying minimum wage to the army of mechanics needed to service your hundreds of thousands of burger conveyers.
Or giving minimum wage to the IT team that needs to figure why the hell it is whenever someone orders a double burger, no onions, medium fries, large sprite and a small strawberry sundae, the space age robo hand decides instead to hit the customer with a fish sandwich.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 16, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can tell you that McDonalds specifically refuses to pay even remotely enough for the outsourced IT they use. Specifically they refuse to pay for contracts that cover night time or weekends. So if a credit card machine is broken or a cash register craps out there is no work done until 9-5 normal weekdays. Any hypothetical robot replacement would be broken all the time.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I'm sure US businesses are just in tears over not having to comply to safety mandates.

Believe it or not, yes. They'd rather let the federal government take the ire of the anti-vaxxers then take the ire of pro-vaxxers themselves.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey wait, I thought we were in the middle of a severe labor shortage. How come they haven't deployed all this amazing automation tech to fill those jobs yet?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I can tell you that McDonalds specifically refuses to pay even remotely enough for the outsourced IT they use. Specifically they refuse to pay for contracts that cover night time or weekends. So if a credit card machine is broken or a cash register craps out there is no work done until 9-5 normal weekdays. Any hypothetical robot replacement would be broken all the time.

TIL the ice cream machine is AI

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wish I felt anything as strongly as the right feels afraid of Hillary.
I do want an actual reason to feel strongly though, 'she's a Clinton!' doesn't cut it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ice cream is its own can of worms but specifically if the credit card machine is going slow at a mcdonalds it's because their primary internet is down and they're on a dial up backup. This will not be fixed until the next business day at the earliest.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Twelve by Pies posted:

You say that as if Republicans don't claim that the KKK is still full of Democrats.

This implies they think the KKK is bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

That's the only part I, an important cartoon doodling man, interact with, and therefore it's the only part that matters or, indeed, exists

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Scaramouche posted:

They mostly do. The Klan is an embarrassment in the 21st century. Their image is a bunch of inbred hillbillies wearing absurd costumes. They still say n-----, n-----, n----- which backfires. It's like how Fox was begging Trump to call off the coup, not because they disagreed with the ultimate goals but because it was so clumsy and obvious it actually hurt the cause of undermining democracy.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

Touch screen might not even survive since those things are loving petri dishes and covid making us hyper aware of communicable diseases.

That won't be an issue if they can just somehow convince everyone to bring their own pocket-sized touch screen into the restaurant.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Scaramouche posted:

The Klan is only bad when they need to dunk on a democrat.

You see, there's the KKK which was 100% invented by Democrats and has only ever had democrats for members and are easily identified by the pointy white hoods, and then there's the people who believe everything that the Klan believes, but they dress nice and dogwhistle everything into how they just want to explore alternative viewpoints on race and how anyone insufficiently white is actually subhuman chattel.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Here lies Uncle Sam, symbol of a country founded by slavery and genocide. All of that was fine though, but what really corrupted his wholesomeness and made him worthy of death was (checks notes) "Dismantling a corrupt prison system and saying trans people deserve rights"....huh....

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wish I had the skill to script a computer spam bot for Ishida with messages comprising entirely of "what", just one word per message.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Hey, for once, I actually understood what was happening...

...good God that was dumb. I got my elementary school American history in the Reagan/GHWB era, and this is STILL the dumbest iteration of it I've ever seen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i can't say slurs on the internet any longer

america is dead

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
I blame all of you for introducing me to Sinfest.

It's transphobic and anti-vaxx, both of which are propaganda that literally kills people, but I can't look away. I want to see where the story is going.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here lies Uncle Sam, symbol of a country founded by slavery and genocide. All of that was fine though, but what really corrupted his wholesomeness and made him worthy of death was (checks notes) "Dismantling a corrupt prison system and saying trans people deserve rights"....huh....

For the record, here is how the romantic marriage was portrayed at the time:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What Killed America?

a. The unleashing of corporate greed in the Reagan years, resulting in the degradation of the working and middle classes
b. Granting the executive virtually limitless power on the pretext of fighting communism
c. Getting criticized for using anti-trans slurs on social media
d. Failure to confront and root out the original sin of white supremacy leading to an an embrace of outright fascism to maintain white power

Answer: c. a, b, and d are America

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SimonChris posted:

Oh drat, that's a way better and more realistic take than whatever the Hell happened this week.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SimonChris posted:

Someone should tweet that at Ishida, lmao

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm setting up the OP for the 2021 Kellies thread now. This is the currently planned list of Kategories:

Worst “A Thing Happened” Cartoon
Best Cartoon
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (gender)
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (race)
Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (all other)
Worst Caricature
Worst Covid Particle Cartoon
Worst Q/Deep State Cartoon
Worst COVID-19 Cartoon
Worst Gaslighting
Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon
Worst Label
Most Incomprehensible Cartoon
Worst Obituary Cartoon
Best Edit/Parody
Worst Primary Election Cartoon
Worst General Election Cartoon
Most Easily Reinterpreted
Worst Cartoon about a (non-covid) Tragedy
Worst Cartoon about Terrorism
Most Willfully Dense
Worst Overall

Are there any additional ones we should have, or ones we should remove? I intend to condense or remove kategories with an insufficient set of entries, as usual.

edit: dear lord, there were more than 300 nominations last year.

Looks pretty good, I could see a merger of covid particle and general covid. Or a splitting out of "January 6 committee" from general terrorism.

Thank you very much for your work on this BTW

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's so crazy that Ishida had a decent sense of composition and editing at one point, then just chose to.... stop doing it. This has an actual line of action from panel to panel, not just jarring perspective shifts like he's been doing for years.

EDIT - I guess the dailies aren't bad but his Sunday strips always literally make me feel dizzy when I try to parse them.

After The War fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 16, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
im imagining an uncle sam/statue liberty scene where its like robin hood in Time Bandits
with liberty happily enthusiastically greeting immigrants entering the country, whose next stop in line is being punched in the face by a KKK hood wearing Uncle Sam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjqlVcLCmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"What were you doing while No 10 held parties? – Under Boris Johnson, it’s one rule for them and another rule for us"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday: