Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the more accurate answer is that Whedon was a 90s male feminist that just never changed as the times did

He was also a creeper but people being hypocritical and being able to rationalize it to themselves isn’t particularly unheard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Shiroc posted:

The first Whedon thing I ever watched was Firefly sometime in the early 2010s. I was baffled to discover that "strong female characters" meant literally women who could beat people up.

This is still what 90% of male writers think a "strong female character" is

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Whedon was never feminist so much as he had fetishes that happened to be different from those of the boomers who made most media at the time.

Somebody had an insightful take that Whedon, like Chris Claremont, was somebody whose fetishes happened to line up with being progressive at the time he was writing.

I rewatched Buffy and Angel sometime post-covid, so after Whedon's cultivated image had been shattered, and the thing that really hurts is that those two shows (with some glaring exceptions) really do such a great job of characterizing their female casts. Cordelia was one of the most fully fleshed-out characters on TV (until Charisma Carpenter got pregnant and Whedon assassinated her character in retaliation). If you only look at what's on the screen and none of the behind-the-scenes stuff I get why you'd believe this is a guy who Gets It.

The episode of Buffy where Angel turns evil is one of the finest hours of television ever, and it makes my blood boil that the man had to have a rule enacted against him that he couldn't be alone in a room with an underaged cast member.

Mr.Chill posted:

Agreed. The gender politics in Firefly were odd as hell. She's strong because she can fight, and she's strong because she's a mechanic and only boys can do that (that's cute!), and she's strong because she has sex (but our hero still calls her a whore a lot just so you don't think we're encouraging that kind of thing).

Firefly is everything that people who've never seen Buffy think Buffy is. It's aged like milk and I don't blame Fox for canceling it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh I think that’s a reductive take that tries really hard to make it so only a perfect unchanging ideal is all that can ever have existed and if you didn’t it’s obviously because you didn’t try. So your either the embodiment of perfection or a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Jan 15, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Firefly just isn't good. It happens, you don't have to fight against reality.

e;

quote:

Eh I think that’s a reductive take that tries really hard to make it so only a perfect unchanging ideal is all that can ever have existed and if you didn’t it’s obviously because you didn’t try. So your either the embodiment of perfection or a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Jan 15, 2022

It's fair to say he was wearing sheeps clothing with his feminism. From the words out of his own mouth and what he put into his work.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jan 15, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rochallor posted:

Firefly is everything that people who've never seen Buffy think Buffy is. It's aged like milk and I don't blame Fox for canceling it.

I recall being told what an idiot I was because I refused to accept Firefly as being the greatest TV show in the history of mankind. And then the fans REALLY got riled up when I accidentally referred to him as "Josh".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rochallor posted:

Somebody had an insightful take that Whedon, like Chris Claremont, was somebody whose fetishes happened to line up with being progressive at the time he was writing.

Yeah, that's the one.

I also think it's more that a lot of people didn't really understand why people liked what they were seeing- and making- and so they end up cargo-culting random elements of it that are easy to replicate, like the snarky one-liners and Strong Female Characters.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I think the more accurate answer is that Whedon was a 90s male feminist that just never changed as the times did

He was also a creeper but people being hypocritical and being able to rationalize it to themselves isn’t particularly unheard of

Well, kinda become a problem as it turns out so much about 90s feminism had unexamined issues, even without how 'male feminist' has become synonymous with predator angling for vulnerable victims.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Firefly just isn't good. It happens, you don't have to fight against reality.

e;

It's fair to say he was wearing sheeps clothing with his feminism. From the words out of his own mouth and what he put into his work.

I’m not just talking about Whedon, though I doubt he said anything like that as people generally don’t do that.

Like you bring up Claremont. He did legit try but ultimately he was a man who grew up in the 50s and 60s and even he’s willing to admit some of the things that haven’t aged particularly well (like general treatment of Native Americans in comics) weren’t good but were extremely common at that time.

As time goes on a lot of the more progressive writers of this time are going to have similar issues it’s just how things go, the important part isn’t that it happened the important part is how you react to how things change. Even aside Whedon being a creeper I’ve seen no evidence he’s ever acknowledged how things have changed and I think that’s more important in the long run from a purely fiction point of view

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Whedon's dialog being described as characters exchanging "t-shirt slogans" is perfect. they might as well be bumbling around saying "I'm with stupid" and now we've decided as a culture that everything should feature this witty original approach to ensuring all of your characters sound like Joss Whedon

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr.Chill posted:

Agreed. The gender politics in Firefly were odd as hell. She's strong because she can fight, and she's strong because she's a mechanic and only boys can do that (that's cute!), and she's strong because she has sex (but our hero still calls her a whore a lot just so you don't think we're encouraging that kind of thing).

The hero calls her a whore because he wants to bang her. Like he actually hires the girl mechanic because she was loving his old mechanic in the engine room, and after he fired the guy she showed she was better at it, so he's not actually a prude. It's just that he wants to be the one loving the professional courtesan, so he constantly calls her a whore. Which means that instead of normal workplace harassment, this is actually sexual harassment. Either way it's Joss Whedon on brand.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

So no one with any credibility is what you are saying.

I mean, to us yeah, but the masses ate that poo poo up

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

The sad thing is that his actual name is Joe Hill Whedon, which suggests that his parents must have been kind of cool people to name him that.

Is his dad Stephen King?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

That literally what Whedon is/was

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sweet geek swag posted:

The hero calls her a whore because he wants to bang her. Like he actually hires the girl mechanic because she was loving his old mechanic in the engine room, and after he fired the guy she showed she was better at it, so he's not actually a prude. It's just that he wants to be the one loving the professional courtesan, so he constantly calls her a whore. Which means that instead of normal workplace harassment, this is actually sexual harassment. Either way it's Joss Whedon on brand.

Tbf she only puts up with it because she wants to gently caress him too and I guess it’s cool they all have the emotional maturity of middle schoolers

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I don't care to look it up, but didn't joss pretty much become hands off from buffy later in its life, and most of the "best" parts of that show were written by other people?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I liked Firefly. As a silly cowboy show set in space.

And this is where I think a great deal of the problems arise with Joss Whedon and "the Whedonverse". The second you start to care so much about a TV writer, that it becomes part of your personality and/or self image. The moment where you feel the need to defend, not the show, but it's writers. And you aren't using arguments like "I like watching this." or "This is fun. This is cool.", but instead "He is a good guy actually, you just need to look past X and Y, and we don't mention Z in polite company." When you start doing that, it has gone wrong.

And this is ignoring the already mentioned points about his "feminism" being paper thin.

A silly space cowboy TV show can be fun, and to my mind it was. But it's only a TV show. A silly on about cowboys in space. This argument is not Whedon specific, and can and should be used on weirdo obsessive, overly invested fans of a whole bunch of other properties/books/shows/etc.

Edit:

pretty soft girl posted:

Whedon's dialog being described as characters exchanging "t-shirt slogans" is perfect. they might as well be bumbling around saying "I'm with stupid" and now we've decided as a culture that everything should feature this witty original approach to ensuring all of your characters sound like Joss Whedon
To muddy the waters quite a bit here, (and I am sorry for doing so). I agree with the sentiment that Whedon's dialog is T-Shirt slogans being exchanged.

And I would add an unrelated aside is that that also perfectly describes the "quips" that Sex and The City, (both old TV series, movies and new series), are famous for.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jan 16, 2022

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I don't care to look it up, but didn't joss pretty much become hands off from buffy later in its life, and most of the "best" parts of that show were written by other people?

Its last couple of seasons when he wasn't the main showrunner were probably the worst seasons but it's true that many of the best individual episodes came from other writers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not really. After Buffy goes to UPN he goes more hands off and Marti Noxon becomes show runner. With the exception of the musical (which has Whedon's fingerprints all over) seasons 6-7 are seen as a decline.

effervescible posted:

Its last couple of seasons when he wasn't the main showrunner were probably the worst seasons but it's true that many of the best individual episodes came from other writers.

Really? I think when people make the list of best Buffy episodes, it would always be dominated by "Hush" "Innocence" "Restless" "The Body" "Once More With Feeling" and "The Gift" - all Whedon written and directed.

GoutPatrol has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Jan 16, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BrigadierSensible posted:

I liked Firefly. As a silly cowboy show set in space.
you misspelt "lovely"

I mean maybe if they weren't quite so heavy on the BIG GOVERNMENT BAAAAAAD HEY LET'S ROB A SPACE TRAIN FOR THIS WARLORD ON OPPRESSULON 7

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Firefly was just a lovely attempt at trying to be Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

(Still angry that Dark Angel got canceled in favor of Firefly grumble.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm glad that Firefly isn't being heralded as the best thing to ever grace our lives, but when did the goon hivemind shift to "IT loving SUCKS YOU SUCK"?

Like, things can be just "good". Or "okay". They don't have to be a perfect angelic gift from the heavens or an affront to art itself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vandar posted:

Firefly was just a lovely attempt at trying to be Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

Dark Angel was really dopey and also had some REALLY questionable stuff around Max and how sexy she was and how having cat DNA made her go into heat sometimes (ugggghhhh) but it felt like it had real potential and it could have been something better given a bit more time.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Firefly only lasting half a season helped it out long term, because the bad stuff didn't have time to really get bad or prevalent, and the good stuff left people wanting more of it.

Which isn't too uncommon for good shows that get cancelled after a season or two. I still wish Better Off Ted got more.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I'm glad that Firefly isn't being heralded as the best thing to ever grace our lives, but when did the goon hivemind shift to "IT loving SUCKS YOU SUCK"?

Like, things can be just "good". Or "okay". They don't have to be a perfect angelic gift from the heavens or an affront to art itself.

extreme emotions get the most attention so people are incentivized to display them. same reason america is dying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Dark Angel was really dopey and also had some REALLY questionable stuff around Max and how sexy she was and how having cat DNA made her go into heat sometimes (ugggghhhh) but it felt like it had real potential and it could have been something better given a bit more time.

I have been around cats in heat. There is nothing sexy at all about a woman who acts like one of them. I mean, unless she isn't screaming and throwing herself all over the place while screaming at 3am.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

HopperUK posted:

It had it's issues but the potential was there and it was way better than Firefly ever was.

It's not just the goon hivemind. Between everything that came out about Whedon being an abuser and the fanbase getting really loving annoying about the show for a long time, opinions all over the place shifted against Firefly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

extreme emotions get the most attention so people are incentivized to display them. same reason america is dying.

I think it’s also goons kind of prefer black and white thinking.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

bobjr posted:

Firefly only lasting half a season helped it out long term, because the bad stuff didn't have time to really get bad or prevalent, and the good stuff left people wanting more of it.

Real shame it didn't last long enough for us to get the episode where a character gets gang-raped by monsters but she survives because she has a poison vagina that kills the rapists. Might have killed Whedon's career a decade early...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Firefly was ok I guess and Serenity was like a 6 out of 10

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Real shame it didn't last long enough for us to get the episode where a character gets gang-raped by monsters but she survives because she has a poison vagina that kills the rapists. Might have killed Whedon's career a decade early...

On the commentary for one of the episodes, there’s a scene of her contemplating a hidden pill bottle in the context of the crew preparing for a suicide mission, and Whedon says something like “people assume from the context that those are suicide pills, but we had a cooler idea for what those are that maybe we’ll get to use one day.”

It’s like when he made a black character who was relentlessly physical and threatened white women with rape and said on the commentary that he was glad he made a cool villain that was like his version of Boba Fett.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

GoutPatrol posted:

Really? I think when people make the list of best Buffy episodes, it would always be dominated by "Hush" "Innocence" "Restless" "The Body" "Once More With Feeling" and "The Gift" - all Whedon written and directed.

Those would definitely be on there, sure, but so would non-Whedon episodes, and there was a lot of appreciation for other writers back when the shoe was airing. It wasn't a situation where Joss was responsible for all the good stuff or that it got better the more he focused on other stuff is all I was getting at.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HopperUK posted:

Plus the whole pointless super-secret conspiracy bullshit organisation.

I mean, they'd already been genetically engineered to be super-soldiers by the US government and were being hunted by everyone. Having a secret cabal behind the secret military organisation was just pointless.

Also, they teased the non-passing chimeras with lizard skins and poo poo, but then totally ignored them in favour of their beautiful Aryan ubermensches.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Okay whatevs dude I didn't even get around to seeing it until 2017 so it's not like I was all up on joss whedon's ween before then 🤷🏻‍♀️

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it’s also goons kind of prefer black and white thinking.

It isn’t goons, it’s the Internet. Its native language is hyperbole.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's fun to exaggerate you stupid loving piece of poo poo, i'll kill you if you ever imply otherwise you gently caress

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vandar posted:

Season two sucked though. And season three was going to be worse.

Wikipedia posted:

In the DVD commentary for "Freak Nation", the series finale, Charles H. Eglee explained what had been planned for season three. The intention was to bring together the storylines of seasons one ("Manticore") and two ("Breeding Cult") and reveal the mythology of Dark Angel. The season would reveal that thousands of years ago, Earth passed through a comet's tail which deposited viral material that killed 97% of the human race. The breeding cult preserved the survivors' genetic immunity so that when the comet returned, only members of the cult would survive. Sandeman, a cult member, and Max's creator betrayed the cult and decided to give this genetic immunity to the rest of humanity through Max, who would be the savior of the human race. There were multiple ideas on how to spread Max's immunity, including an air burst that would disperse the antibody through the atmosphere, or attaching the immunity to a common cold virus (Eglee detailed how a scene would show Original Cindy sneezing as part of the beginning of the immunity spread).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Firefly was canceled to protect the actors from Joss Whedon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you wait long enough firefly = bad will become the dominate opinion and therefore saying it is not bad will be transgressive and against the hivemind.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PhazonLink posted:

if you wait long enough firefly = bad will become the dominate opinion and therefore saying it is not bad will be transgressive and against the hivemind.

I wonder. “Harry Potter is bad” is now the dominant position but HP merch still makes oodles of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i think folks are overreacting a bit. firefly was a breath of fresh air for 2001-2002 and that general opinion lasted until 2010, when its form of fresh air became, well, stale. hollywood and most major tv shows follow very lame and outdated trends for longer than society does, so firefly felt like an unfairly transgressed show for about that time. now we can fairly revisit it and say it sucks, but was good for its time? why are we overreacting to this.