Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yeah give it a bit and that whole wall will be green, it’s like living in a chia pet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Better than the usual mushrooms.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Platystemon posted:

Found the original.

The only reason that addition haven't fallen down is because of the whole house leaning backwards, right? Spreading some of the load to the back wall instead of the wood bracings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

MrYenko posted:

Thread pays off hard the whole way through. This one was my favorite though:

https://twitter.com/rebeccamakkai/status/1482059729526525955?s=21

Just because the expensive photographer says you should have makeup done before your photo shoot doesn’t mean you should have makeup done before your photo shoot.

The publicly posted photo of his teenage daughter in lingerie is classy as gently caress too.

Sassy Mouth Photography, whose motto seems it should be 'We won't second-guess any of your horrible decisions!'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah based on further in the thread it sounds like it was in fact a sex castle - "massage" rooms everywhere, showers designed for large groups of people, etc. The "modelling" business he tried to start was hiring out models by the hour to satisfy customers' "desire, intrigue and lust".

Which makes the photo of the teenage daughter in lingerie incredibly :yikes:

That certainly adds even more layers to the story, especially given how apparently the owner ended up moving in with his pregnant mistress after his divorce.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groversuccessor

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

House needs lots of air conditioners, whatta ya gonna do?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is what I’m gonna do.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Platystemon posted:

Oh, I like that. If you're gonna say "gently caress it," go all the way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Platystemon posted:

:thunk:

I think that this Redditor’s house may have some build quality issues.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually growing out of the baseboard. That looks like the seed husk on the bottom of that sprout. I think that's just some seedling someone set on their baseboard or, being generous, somehow managed to find enough moisture to germinate while sitting there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s breaking the paint, and OP claims it sprang up overnight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'll take your word for it, I'm still not seeing it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That is not how you grow weed inside.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Per the reddit comments it is ivy, which seems plausible as far as pla ts invading your walls go.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Scarodactyl posted:

Per the reddit comments it is ivy, which seems plausible as far as pla ts invading your walls go.

Oh, added value, they can cultivate it and resell as a stately home now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Tiles: how do they work???

My first reaction to that tub is "Why no grab bar?" Because that thing looks really dangerous to get out of.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Dunno-Lars posted:

The only reason that addition haven't fallen down is because of the whole house leaning backwards, right? Spreading some of the load to the back wall instead of the wood bracings.

Looks to me like there is no lean - it is just a wonky camera angle.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Memories of doing vampire taps on a network. But that was low voltage at least.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

That even looks like it was really hard to do.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hypothetical question - at what radon levels should you suspect that the structure was just straight up built ontop of a radioactive dump?

just curious

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KoRMaK posted:

hypothetical question - at what radon levels should you suspect that the structure was just straight up built ontop of a radioactive dump?

just curious

Well in Ramsar, Iran, air can reach four thousand becquerels per cubic metre in some structures, and that’s all natural.

For comparison, the World Health Organization recommends action above one hundred becquerels per cubic metre.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Well in Ramsar, Iran, air can reach four thousand becquerels per cubic metre in some structures, and that’s all natural.

For comparison, the World Health Organization recommends action above one hundred becquerels per cubic metre.

That's, uh, concerning. So I guess there are natural uranium deposits?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Today in “nightmares you thought you had successfully suppressed”…

“Welp, I almost fell into a sinkhole under my porch. I caught myself on the edge of the hole, from my chest down was just dangling beneath me. Below the opening the hole is about 10’ wide and 15’ deep. Fun fact I watched the movie Journey to the Center of the Earth yesterday.”

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Mystery Switch update: my dad texted me that he has consulted with the electrical engineer neighbor and there is a 50% chance he can fix it by doing something with the outlet, I'm not sure what. To my knowledge, he never actually took off the outlet plate so I think it depends on what he finds. He's going to come over some time next week and check it out. I'll make him draw a diagram.

Riveting stuff, I know.

Hey, the mystery switch is fixed! Whatever it was, my dad was able to fix. I can now turn on both my porch light and indoor lamp at the same time. Here's the diagram of the outlet, I wasn't around to hear the explanation so that will have to suffice.

The only mystery remaining is, "Why would they do that?" but some things must remain unknown.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yes. All over the place.

Many houses in my area of eastern PA need radon mitigation.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

IIRC scientists are kinda stumped by Ramsar because there isn't a statistically significant change in the cancer rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s because the linear, no‐threshold (LNT) model of the danger posed by ionizing radiation is wrong.

Everyone knows this. The problem is that there are no acceptable alternative models.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I mean, where do you think uranium comes from. :)

Around here, most houses with a radon problem are built over granite or alum shale, both of which can contain trace amounts of uranium. (It doesn't take a lot to produce worrying amounts of radon.)

Those traces are not commercially viable, though I know Sweden extracted uranium from their shale deposits right over the border in the 60s as a proof of concept for self-sufficiency. And because buying it internationally would stop them from using it in their nuclear weapons program.

(Sweden never built a nuke, but they had the dual-use reactors, materials, local uranium production, knowledge, and the bomber to carry one, in case the Soviets got too worrisome. They eventually canceled the plans and handed the spiciest metals over to the IAEA.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 18, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tired: Tube Alloys
Wired: Spicy Metals

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Computer viking posted:

(Sweden never built a nuke, but they had the dual-use reactors, materials, local uranium production, knowledge, and the bomber to carry one, in case the Soviets got too worrisome. They eventually canceled the plans and handed the spiciest metals over to the IAEA.)

Read that as IKEA at first

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fun fact: there's a natural nuclear reactor. Or at least, there was; evidently, about two billion years ago it ran too low on U235 to sustain chain reactions. We're unlikely to find another such natural reactor, because the overall abundance of U235 is gradually dropping over time due to radioactive decay.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Read that as IKEA at first

Same

Disappointed that I can’t buy a flat-pack nuclear-powered lamp now.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

If you happen to be in a cave and find a screwdriver wedged between two warm rocks, don't pull it out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

I mean, where do you think uranium comes from. :)

Around here, most houses with a radon problem are built over granite or alum shale, both of which can contain trace amounts of uranium. (It doesn't take a lot to produce worrying amounts of radon.)

Those traces are not commercially viable, though I know Sweden extracted uranium from their shale deposits right over the border in the 60s as a proof of concept for self-sufficiency. And because buying it internationally would stop them from using it in their nuclear weapons program.

I know where uranium and radon come from, was just wondering whether they're on, like, a commercially viable uranium deposit. Because googling for how high levels can get, I found this:

quote:

In 2014, the highest radon level ever recorded in the U.S. was found in a home in Lehigh County. The concentration measured was 3,715 pCi/L, more than 900 times EPA's action level of 4 pCi/L.

Edit:

Effective-Disorder posted:

If you happen to be in a cave and find a screwdriver wedged between two warm rocks, don't pull it out.

You're not my real dad.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
This Old House chat

I can't find the referenced article about the Weatherbee Farm (Season 9), but I do remember reading it, and they got way in over their heads and had to fake a lot of stuff for the reveal at the end then go back and fix it later. The later seasons they stopped trying to finish the project in the 13-18 week run of episodes and instead started doing the work well in advance of the air dates. Season 10 is also where they bring in the Silvas for the first time rather than Norm being the defacto GC.

You do get a bunch of free stuff, but still have to pay the taxes on it

quote:

Built in 1887, the house was an eyesore with chipping paint and a rotting wood frame when the Bentleys bought it in March 1996. They planned to spend about $200,000 in renovations.

Final cost: $341,000 for labor, materials and taxes on donated products.

“We’re concerned about the numbers,” Kathy Bentley told host Steve Thomas when the project was just $60,000 over budget.

Producer Russell Morash acknowledged many homeowners find it difficult to refuse top-of-the-line products donated to the show, even when they increase installation costs and taxes.

“It’s a once in a lifetime option, a bit like winning the lottery,” he said. “It takes a lot of restraint, and some are better at it than others.”

Dennis Duffy got $110,000 in free products when his Napa, Calif., kitchen was renovated on the show in 1994. But he also spent about $55,000 more than his $110,000 budget.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jan-25-mn-11906-story.html

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I remember the one (this would have been in the 80s) where the homeowners gradually disappeared from the show over episodes because they were on such bad terms with the TOC crew. To help identify it, the husband had bought some sort of electric multi-purpose tool and was going to make billions of balusters for the front porch. He got disgusted and quit after <10.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Qwijib0 posted:

Dennis Duffy got $110,000 in free products when his Napa, Calif., kitchen was renovated on the show in 1994. But he also spent about $55,000 more than his $110,000 budget
Beeper market was still going pretty strong back then, I'm sure he could afford it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is... that what I think it is? And if so, why go to all that trouble for just a couple liters? They could at least daisy chain several kettles in a row :v:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Is the kettle plugged into a temperature switch? I'm kinda impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Given that it's impossible to pour from the kettle, it's purely a joke.