Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Onslaught does surprisingly well at the hypershunt if you build right. Burn driving in at the right moment to keep up the pressure works

I did it the first time with storyline murdership and a paragon but this time I rolled in with a shield shunt Onslaught and a stack of legions. Went low tech hard stacked with needlers/railguns and came off better than my original makeup did I think. It's been tough changing up my usual game style of going high tech everything but it's been fun.

When I say low tech fleet I'm still floating around in an aurora loaded with ion cannons because I'm a coward. Neural net to my onslaught so I can get +200 range heavy machine guns and can burn in on anything when I feel it needs to push further forward.

...and teleport back right before it pops like a piņata because I have no battle awareness after 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Atopian posted:

It's amazing for an early scavenging start.

Just a couple of rep points push remnants into neutrality, which let's you pick through high-risk systems mostly in peace.

yeah its not like you need to stay neutral with the Remnant. Just loot their systems dry and then you can show Friend AI the advantages of irrationality

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a critical relation to maintain for Breaker/Pather/Pirate/really bad random relation starts, because it makes the fringes safer and also it won't ever piss anybody off to make the Remnants like you.

Plus when the contact offers to sell you an order of items you can get really good poo poo out of it, especially if you have one of the mods that adds better remnant versions of weapons.

I'd agree with most of your points but Breakers seem to be such pussies that any sort of defensive fleet scares off all but the biggest Breaker fleets.

Plus you get that sweet sweet OP Sigma/BB weapons plus some sigma cores which are quite valuable, especially early on.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
other people may know about this already but i just learned so its worth posting again.

If your game slows down and gets laggy sometimes after battles, forcing you to restart the game, try switching from starsector's java 7 to java 8.

Mini-guide: Switching to Java 8 to prevent the post-battle slowdown
Not officially supported, may cause unrelated issues, do at your own risk and please report back if you do notice it causing problems.

Symptoms
- After some time playing and immediately after a battle, the game FPS will plummet (eg from 60 to 15-25) and usually only go back to normal after a game restart.
- Saving/loading takes 5x longer than usual.
- Using at least one mod (that adds new sprites? incl. GraphicsLib).

Fix (slow down and read this part carefully)
1. Go to your starsector install and rename the jre folder to jre7.
2. Download either of the following (both are the same JRE 8 v271) (Mac/Linux users look below for download link):
- (72 MB .zip) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGRtnv5hIGCtcdlvZXFO0F58VXqYUo6x/view?usp=sharing
- (48 MB .7z) https://drive.google.com/file/d/155Lk0ml9AUGp5NwtTZGpdu7e7Ehdyeth/view?usp=sharing
3. Extract that into your game folder so you have a folder named jre. You'll now have both jre (with java 8) and jre7.
4. Make sure that your starsector/starsector-core/data/config/settings.json allowAnyJavaVersion is set to true. Then launch the game as normal.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

other people may know about this already but i just learned so its worth posting again.

If your game slows down and gets laggy sometimes after battles, forcing you to restart the game, try switching from starsector's java 7 to java 8.

Mini-guide: Switching to Java 8 to prevent the post-battle slowdown
Not officially supported, may cause unrelated issues, do at your own risk and please report back if you do notice it causing problems.

Symptoms
- After some time playing and immediately after a battle, the game FPS will plummet (eg from 60 to 15-25) and usually only go back to normal after a game restart.
- Saving/loading takes 5x longer than usual.
- Using at least one mod (that adds new sprites? incl. GraphicsLib).

Fix (slow down and read this part carefully)
1. Go to your starsector install and rename the jre folder to jre7.
2. Download either of the following (both are the same JRE 8 v271) (Mac/Linux users look below for download link):
- (72 MB .zip) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGRtnv5hIGCtcdlvZXFO0F58VXqYUo6x/view?usp=sharing
- (48 MB .7z) https://drive.google.com/file/d/155Lk0ml9AUGp5NwtTZGpdu7e7Ehdyeth/view?usp=sharing
3. Extract that into your game folder so you have a folder named jre. You'll now have both jre (with java 8) and jre7.
4. Make sure that your starsector/starsector-core/data/config/settings.json allowAnyJavaVersion is set to true. Then launch the game as normal.

This is super important and makes a significant improvement to your gameplay. Even if you're rocking Java 8 already on your PC, you need to follow the steps above to install Java 8 for Starsector.

Also remember to increase your memory availability As seen here

I seem to recall there's also a VM size modifier but I cannot recall it.

EDIT: its the "Permsize" modifier
code:
-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m -Xss2048k -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kris xK posted:

I'd agree with most of your points but Breakers seem to be such pussies that any sort of defensive fleet scares off all but the biggest Breaker fleets.

Plus you get that sweet sweet OP Sigma/BB weapons plus some sigma cores which are quite valuable, especially early on.

i meant when you start as them, which means everyone either kills you on sight, doesn't let you trade with them or just barely tolerates you. except for Diable, who like you

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

smooth jazz posted:

Fine what about Babylon 5

No idea, haven't watched it since it was first on TV. I remember their fighters using reaction mass and one race had beams on capitals that literally sliced other capital ships in half in one go. One race had literally beaten earth in every space combat until they made peace I think? Seems hard to balance.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a thought about making Terrans from First Contact/Behold, Humanity!, but they would basically just be Doritos but even more broken- CR that increases over time, infinitely repairing armor and hull, infinite ammo, infinite parasite vessels instead of only on death etc. it's a fun setting but doesn't lend itself well to games.

but it would make an insanely frustrating boss fight, so I still might do it if I ever get bored enough.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The star federation mod adds a spicy dorito capital fight, it splits into tesseracts when you kill it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Kris xK posted:

This is super important and makes a significant improvement to your gameplay. Even if you're rocking Java 8 already on your PC, you need to follow the steps above to install Java 8 for Starsector.

Also remember to increase your memory availability As seen here

I seem to recall there's also a VM size modifier but I cannot recall it.

EDIT: its the "Permsize" modifier
code:
-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m -Xss2048k -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

what does permsize vs max permsize do?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Random Minor Complaint: It really bothers me how so few factions have exploration ships, and when they do, they never have salvage rigs on them. DME has a loving Capital class exploration ship but for some reason no one jammed salvage rig onto it.

EDIT:

Jinnigan posted:

what does permsize vs max permsize do?

Its the Java heap space. It's in there to help avoid OutOfMemory errors. I was just told to keep them the same so...

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kris xK posted:

Random Minor Complaint: It really bothers me how so few factions have exploration ships, and when they do, they never have salvage rigs on them. DME has a loving Capital class exploration ship but for some reason no one jammed salvage rig onto it.

EDIT:

Its the Java heap space. It's in there to help avoid OutOfMemory errors. I was just told to keep them the same so...

Yeah it's very weird when exploration is a big part of the game. If i had the talent i'd just create a mod pack that is exploration themed ships for all 3 tech levels. Carriers should honestly be the do all ships because they aren't intended to be front line anyways so make them freighters, salvage ships, survey ships, and fuel bunkers.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is there any way to tell which mod items/ships/buildings come from? I decided to try a few mods to see if I like them but it gets a bit difficult keeping track of which mod does what sometimes.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mercrom posted:

Is there any way to tell which mod items/ships/buildings come from? I decided to try a few mods to see if I like them but it gets a bit difficult keeping track of which mod does what sometimes.

There's literally a mod called WhichMod for that.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So there's 12 hypershunts in my current map and i've already found loving 3 within 5ly of each other, i can't wait to find the other 9 just clustered together hahaha.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how do I deal with ora stations? DA took one and I'm struggling to deal with it's insane range plus the fleet guarding it. setting it to avoid doesn't seem to work.

e: oh... I engaged a merchant convoy loading otuside and it didn't spawn the fleet that was guarding it this time maybe I'll just settle for that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kris xK posted:

DME had a dedicated salvage rig of sorts and a tanker, and both got removed in the transition to 0.95. But they still got salvage rigs in the Baikal (Brone) Cruiser.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I did not consider the consequences of attacking the independents.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

qnqnx posted:

DME had a dedicated salvage rig of sorts and a tanker, and both got removed in the transition to 0.95. But they still got salvage rigs in the Baikal (Brone) Cruiser.

Yeah, a lot of factions will still make ships with salvage rigs, but there's absolutely zero loving point to them when you can just buy a regular vanilla salvage rig, slap survey/sensors on it and call it a day for a fraction of the upfront and daily cost.

Or I could spend 400k on a weird carrier/explorer hybrid that does neither well.

Stairmaster posted:

I did not consider the consequences of attacking the independents.

I'm sorry, but I love this.

If you're using Nex, try sneaking in to Prism (its in a nebula so its easier to sneak in) and do any missions or ai core dumps you can.

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 17, 2022

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kris xK posted:

Yeah, a lot of factions will still make ships with salvage rigs, but there's absolutely zero loving point to them when you can just buy a regular vanilla salvage rig, slap survey/sensors on it and call it a day for a fraction of the upfront and daily cost.

Or I could spend 400k on a weird carrier/explorer hybrid that does neither well.

I'm sorry, but I love this.

If you're using Nex, try sneaking in to Prism (its in a nebula so its easier to sneak in) and do any missions or ai core dumps you can.

The Zelenograd is more of a battlecarrier )with more battle than carrier) that also does surveying and sensors really well, and should be treated as such. Kinda like the Apogee.
There's also the Tereshkova, in surveying equipment or salvage gantry flavors.

But really, I mostly want more logistics ship because I like doing faction runs.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Kris xK posted:

The weird hybrid is for lategame when number of slots in your fleet is the limiting factor rather than money. They're expensive vanity ships for when you're already rolling in credits and supplies/fuel.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I realize I'm being a whiney weirdo BUT

qnqnx posted:

Kinda like the Apogee.

the Apogee is loving GOLD compared to the Zelongrad. It (usually, hopefully) comes pretty early, has a decent turret layout and can shield tank for days. It can be a lynchpin in your early fleet.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So, thoughts on the Fury DP change. Spoiler: disapprove, at least without some adjusted to other ships.

Basically, the Fury is a nice little mobile, resilient light cruiser. Light on OP if you want it to have decent flux and mods, but that was OK... for 15 DP.

Using previous values, my 3 choices for 'fleet filler' were Falcon(P), Fury, or (SO)Hammerhead.
All are mobile and capable of murdering stuff.
Now that Fury and Falcon(P) have had their DP bumped, it's hard to think of situations where I'd deploy them instead of their weight in Hammerheads, or their weight in heavy cruisers / capitals.

Power creep is a thing, for sure, so rather than this being a "reduce Fury DP", it's more "if this is the power:DP level, maybe increase DP for some of the nicer destroyers?"

...or, is there some super-fit for Fury that I missed but everyone else used?
I just ran HeavyBlasters, BreachPod, couple of beams, spent the rest of my OP on shield and flux stuff.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the apogee is basically the vanilla base line which i measure all modded ships against--if it's performing the same as the apogee then it's balanced. It was the medusa back in the day haha it's funny how it's changed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are Rafale II's and vanilla Pirahnas my best bet for attacking hightech stations? Fighter/bomber wise I mean. Or are there any good alternatives in DME, Diable, Imperium, and Vayras?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Mysteres from DME are amazing against anything shielded because they fire kinetic rockets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably just use torpedo bombers, a high tech station is still a station and you want big punch to destroy the modules, and you can load your actual ships with kinetics to cover the anti shield work.

The dumb bombers are also OK against stations, though I still think their bombs are too slow to get through anything with a PD unit on it which stations have piles of, if it's beam PD though it is probably less effective, vulcans though make pretty short work of bombs.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Hi-tech station means lots of beams, so bring strike craft with shields or decent armour.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kris xK posted:

I realize I'm being a whiney weirdo BUT

the Apogee is loving GOLD compared to the Zelongrad. It (usually, hopefully) comes pretty early, has a decent turret layout and can shield tank for days. It can be a lynchpin in your early fleet.

Lately the Apogee has been one of those ships that I like but never see. I did, however, manage to find a Zelonograd quite early in my current run thanks to the industrial evolution mod.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

Lately the Apogee has been one of those ships that I like but never see. I did, however, manage to find a Zelonograd quite early in my current run thanks to the industrial evolution mod.

I used to like starting with the tutorial and the large exploration start, so to recapture it my non-theme runs typically start with an Apogee, a Hammerhead, a Wolf, a Dram, and a Mule.

That said, there's a certain charm in just starting in a Mule(P) and living the life.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Man Im torn between the Jean d'Arc from DME and the Astral. That recall ability is just so loving good!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
been playing around with the endorsed-but-unofficial Vayra's Sector update, I'm currently trying to track down an annoying and quite old bug with Vayra's Sector's Nex compatibility that's been a thing since I first tried them together a couple years ago.

see, the communist faction added in Vayra's Sector, the PDPRC, has a bunch of pre-defined starting relationships with various factions in the game, ranging from allies to hostility to everything in between. These work just fine if you are not running Nex. If you are running Nex, they get completely hosed up and the PDPRC starts at -65 to -100 with almost every faction in the sector, including the factions that formed the coalition and are supplying all its ships. It makes a PDPRC run even harder than it is intended to be; you have absolutely no allies and are shoot-on-sight with almost every faction in the sector except the pirates, which you are inexplicably jacked up to +100 relations with.

I thought the problem was somewhere in their exerelin faction config file, some sort of typo or something, but after various tweaks nothing worked. Finally, for the hell of it, I replaced their entire config file with the config file for a different faction, renamed - while this did change their starting ship options, it did not change their diplomacy at all, confirming that something else is overriding the settings for that faction and only for that faction.

I think what's happening is that they're getting erroneously flagged by Nex as a 'pirate' faction - they start neutral to the Starlight Cabal and the Mayorate, which are flagged as 'pirate-neutral' factions, and that in addition to the +100 with pirates more or less confirms it. What I can't figure out is where that's happening. I am almost 100% positive that if I'm right it'd be a simple case of flipping a single boolean from 'true' to 'false', but where could it be? It can't be in their faction config file, because, again, I replaced literally the entire file and it didn't change anything about their diplomatic relationships.

It's not my mod so it doesn't really matter, I just really want to do a PDPRC Nex run and would like to do it with the intended starting relationships.

e: for the hell of it I disabled literally every mod except for Nex and Vayra's Sector, and ran into the same problem, which at least narrows it down to either something in VS or something in Nex itself causing the problem.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 18, 2022

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Jean d'arc is faster and does more damage with it's bombing runs, and is slightly less likely to instantly explode if it gets looked at. Astral is better if you're just sending bombing run after bombing run because the recall device also refits it's bombers.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jean D'Arc looks cooler.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Blade Breakers should get a version of the Jeanne d'Arc called the Alter

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

BB+ Has it.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I discovered the Mako bomber (actually a heavy frigate) from Mayasura and it's incredibly overpowered - it performs like a super-frigate but only costs 4 DP.

it has 180 base speed, a medium ballistic mount, and the AI is actually able to aim the infinite-ammo dumb bombs unlike most of the carrier-based bombers.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

BB+ Has it.

They do? My version on shows the Bladewood

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's refreshing and terrifying that its quite hard to find a large mount energy weapon better than the plasma cannon. I've got a Beldam battlecruiser (from HMI) and it came with 2 plasma cannons equipped that I haven't replaced yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I enjoy the stitch beam canons from Scalartech. They need expanded magazines to shine though.

BB+ was a submod to DME, that was taken away by the author over some discord drama. It's still around but not officially.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 18, 2022