Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/atikkat/status/1479950863351398403

But why?

Rich people are insanely bored and stupid

We got both an NFC and an RFID one from DEFCON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anyone old enough here who saw Captain EO? I never saw Avatar in theaters so I'm curious how it would compare to an older but still impressive 3d movie attempt.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/atikkat/status/1479950863351398403

But why?

i get the door, but why does the pantry and some drawers need a lock? locks that can probably bruteforced easily by even a child.

also since its fresh in my mind from watching an episode of something, bio locks can get bypassed with a good knife.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

i get the door, but why does the pantry and some drawers need a lock? locks that can probably bruteforced easily by even a child.

also since its fresh in my mind from watching an episode of something, bio locks can get bypassed with a good knife.

I imagine the answer is somewhere between "It's fun" and "they host a lot of events at their house that has strangers that might wander into off limit rooms but aren't going to butcher her and her children"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

they open their 'summer closet' and 'towel closet' and 'gift wrapping room' using rfid chips in their hands....

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

her door setup is the intro to a murder mystery

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Stexils posted:

her door setup is the intro to a murder mystery

Imagine living in a Doom Level where you gotta find the red, blue, and green key cards....

...but it's people's hands.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm trying to imagine being outrageously wealthy and choosing to spend that money on electronic locks for my snack drawers (???).

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I feel bad for their dog. The dog doesn't care that you built it a separate house, it wants to spend time with you.

https://twitter.com/Tradermayne/status/1468193734030413825

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But why?

Implanting my favorite amiibo to my hand.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rebel Blob posted:

I feel bad for their dog. The dog doesn't care that you built it a separate house, it wants to spend time with you.

https://twitter.com/Tradermayne/status/1468193734030413825

:killing:

Jesus loving Christ.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Crain posted:

Imagine living in a Doom Level where you gotta find the red, blue, and green key cards....

...but it's people's hands.

"Unless he rips someone's hand off, and let's hope he doesn't figure that one out."
- Demolition Man

Also people started doing it at a company about three and a half years ago:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2018/08/17/140994/this-company-embeds-microchips-in-its-employees-and-they-love-it/

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

eXXon posted:

I'm trying to imagine being outrageously wealthy and choosing to spend that money on electronic locks for my snack drawers (???).

https://twitter.com/atikkat/status/1480681094198566915 Also toilets that are built wrong as a joke I guess

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
For some reason I am getting some astroturfing vibes from those videos. She and her husbands whole online thing seems to be these dumb chips, and they look so super wealthy it's hard to believe there isn't something identifying how they got this rich. It could be they rented some empty mansion and set up these dumb chips as some sort of grift.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

For some reason I am getting some astroturfing vibes from those videos. She and her husbands whole online thing seems to be these dumb chips, and they look so super wealthy it's hard to believe there isn't something identifying how they got this rich. It could be they rented some empty mansion and set up these dumb chips as some sort of grift.

I was going to post something similar, I was expecting like a buy now or pre-order link at the end or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
again the way to be a internet supastar is to already be rich or have a rich family so you can burn a few years worth of money establishing YOURBRAND.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my understanding is that much of the influencer status symbol stuff is rentals and props. almost none of them have the level of material success they portray, it's prop money, "private plane" interior sets, and rented cars

of course that does take seed money and having the cash reserves to put full time work in, but that's true of so many careers at this point

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I got 'bloodsucking landlord/daytrader' vibes

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my understanding is that much of the influencer status symbol stuff is rentals and props. almost none of them have the level of material success they portray, it's prop money, "private plane" interior sets, and rented cars

of course that does take seed money and having the cash reserves to put full time work in, but that's true of so many careers at this point

Yeah the smart people are selling shovels during the gold rush, here's a company that rents apartments to influencers for their shoots: https://www.glossy.co/fashion/inside-the-williamsburg-penthouse-made-for-instagram-influencers/

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Steve French posted:

Vet all of it? Not reasonably without some automated means. But such thorough vetting is not even remotely necessary to prevent such a basic problem as “package completely stops functioning”. It is standard practice in many software organizations and ecosystems to pin every dependency, direct or indirect, to a fixed release that won’t change, ever, until/unless dependencies are updated or added explicitly. And at the time you do that, you do at least some bare minimum of testing that the update didn’t completely break poo poo.

Preventing fuckery this basic is a solved problem, but for some reason lots of folks don’t use the known solutions, even though it’s really not difficult.
Yeah, that's true. I can't imagine why you wouldn't at least run your tests and take the thing for a spin after you updated something.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyone old enough here who saw Captain EO? I never saw Avatar in theaters so I'm curious how it would compare to an older but still impressive 3d movie attempt.

Captain EO was pretty great for the 80's, it even had lasers and smoke that would come out of the screen. I'd say for quality and imersiveness it was close to Avatar but it was only 20 minutes or so long and they probably spent the money of a full length motion picture on it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't they almost build a giant Michael Jackson robot with laser eyes at Las Vegas?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KozmoNaut posted:

Same, I don't have the picture all around me, so I don't need the sound all around me.

2.1 really is the sweet spot, or possibly 3.1 if you have a huge screen, and need to anchor the dialogue better to the screen, for people sitting off to the sides.

Buying a whole 7.1 system just spreads out your money over way too many speakers, even more if you want to do Atmos. It's better to spend that money on 2 higher-quality speakers for left and right, plus a good subwoofer (or 2 for more even coverage).

I respect this perspective, but I wanna point out that even if I hadn't been reading the audiophile thread for years you'd be telling on yourself here lol.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Telling on myself by advising people to spend their money in a smarter way?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KozmoNaut posted:

Telling on myself by advising people to spend their money in a smarter way?

I'm just joshing you. I read the post and thought "this person thinks hard about audio" then saw the username and went "oh." :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guilty as charged :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How dare you only have 2 speakers, you loving hipster

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
A tech nightmare that has been brewing for a few years is Government opposition to End to End encryption like TLS (which you use for HTTPS secure websites)

https://twitter.com/NCA_UK/status/1483403983159009280?s=20

Basically, both the UK and the US (especially FBI) is pushing back against end to end encryption arguing it makes it easier for criminals to operate, insisiting backdoors need to be installed. This is troubling because its not mathematically possible without making encryption easily cracked and broken.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommieGIR posted:

This is troubling because its not mathematically possible without making encryption easily cracked and broken.

Well, yes, that's the point

:nsa:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

On the bright side, Bitcoin would go from funny to hilarious

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

A tech nightmare that has been brewing for a few years is Government opposition to End to End encryption like TLS (which you use for HTTPS secure websites)

https://twitter.com/NCA_UK/status/1483403983159009280?s=20

Basically, both the UK and the US (especially FBI) is pushing back against end to end encryption arguing it makes it easier for criminals to operate, insisiting backdoors need to be installed. This is troubling because its not mathematically possible without making encryption easily cracked and broken.

Yeah I guess 30 years since the clipper chip counts as "a few years". Wake me up when the federal government has somehow become vastly stronger and the tech industry vastly weaker and a major terrorist attack organized on signal has successfully been carried out. Except then again the quote intelligence community literally claims they had no idea about Jan 6 public Facebook posts so even if all that happened they have no credibility.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn't there a terrorist attack in England where a guy rented a semi and ran over a bunch of people? And the entire attack was planned over unencrypted SMS, and the MI6 or whoever still failed to stop the attack? They can't even stop a terrorist attack when no encryption is involved.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nebrilos posted:

Wasn't there a terrorist attack in England where a guy rented a semi and ran over a bunch of people? And the entire attack was planned over unencrypted SMS, and the MI6 or whoever still failed to stop the attack? They can't even stop a terrorist attack when no encryption is involved.

"Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

:shrug:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

quarantinethepast posted:

Fair enough, but that's an unfortunate exception in the field I think. I open up any given package.json file in our code and I see ^s everywhere.

Actually I'm a dumbass, we're using yarn lockfiles so our versions will remain fixed unless they're manually updated. So we're already doing best practice and it's easy to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/irs-require-facial-recognition-view-tax-returns

quote:

IRS To Require Facial Recognition To View Tax Returns

The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has partnered with a Virginia-based private identification firm which requires a facial recognition selfie among other things, in order to create or access online accounts with the agency.

According to KrebsonSecurity, the IRS announced that by the summer of 2022, the only way to log into irs.gov will be through ID.me. Founded by former Army Rangers in 2010, the McLean-based company has evolved to providing online ID verification services which several states are using to help reduce unemployment and pandemic-assistance fraud. The company claims to have 64 million users.

What could possibly go wrong? Bonus facial rec database of the entire country.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's from Zerohedge, so take it with a literal mountain of salt.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the underlying story is legit but overblown through a couple different layers of reporting paranoia

zerohedge, which is garbage conspiracy bait, got the article from krebsonsecurity, which is ok but definitely ideologically oriented towards privacy concerns

the IRS is going to move to using ID.me, which is a third party website that does identity verification. in order to continue using irs.gov directly, accounts will have to be vetted by being attached to a photo ID, and a picture of one's face to match to the ID. there are plenty of government agencies which already use this process for identity verification

whether or not jumping through all these hoops is a necessary or vital thing - that can be debated. i don't think this is a facial rec database any more than what the various state DMVs already possess, though, nor is it really any more of a biometric analysis as is showing your ID at a bar

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its worth pointing out that the military, VA, social security, etc. have all been using ID.me for years - i think this story only really has legs if its framed as creepy big government watching you do your taxes on webcam

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My main issue with it is how hard it’s going to make it for less privileged people to interact with essential govt services. I was doing my return the other day and needed to double check our child tax credit payment numbers, and encountered this thing. I had to take approximately 24 pics of my ID in three different areas of my coworking space before they were accepted and then the only way I could get the facial scanning to work was standing with my back against a plain white door with my elgato key lights on me. Brick was an unacceptable background, and anything less than full power lighting directly on me, but behind the camera, was unacceptable. Bright overhead lighting didn’t work. If I had been home I don’t think I could have finished my taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What is the state of facial recognition technology currently? Is it at the point where you can reliably grab a library off the shelf without needing to train it or are competent ML engineers still required to train and validate a model to get a good product? It sounds like the latter, based on what Riven is saying above me.